SportsWrath

Amani Toomer criticizes New York Giants' coaching staff

Mr. P

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday January 28, 2009, 12:24 PM

Star-Ledger File PhotoAmani Toomer wonders if the Giants might have advanced further in the playoffs if he'd been used more down the stretch.

TAMPA - Amani Toomer took part in a charitable event today to help build a playground here. That's ironic because, after 13 seasons with the Giants, the free-agent-to-be then pretty much tore down any chances he'll be back with the team.

In a session with reporters that lasted almost 20 minutes, Toomer criticized the team for a number of things, including their failure to use him down the stretch as they exercised their "agenda" to use younger receivers such as Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith and tight end Kevin Boss.

"The last couple of games I wasn't a big part of the offense and we lost a big percentage of the games (four of the last five)," Toomer said after the event that was organized by the Home Depot. "I feel like you can't tell me (that) didn't play a big role in it. I think it did."

Toomer said his performance against the Redskins (five catches for 85 yards, including a 40-yard touchdown) in the first game after Plaxico Burress' self-shooting should have let to the team featuring him in the offense a lot more.

"The first game (without Burress) I had one of my best games of the year. From that game on, I don't know what happened," he said. "I mean, I was in the game plan, but you have different reads and stuff like that, but it didn't work out for me."

Toomer later indicated it was more than just the reads on the field.

"It just seems like some of those games, it didn't seem the same. Last year, when everybody's jobs were on the line, everything was pedal to the metal," Toomer said in what appeared to be a not-so-veiled reference to Tom Coughlin's job hanging by a thread after the 2006 season. "All of a sudden, this year, it's a different kind of feeling."

Complacency? Because this season, Coughlin's plan to motivate the team was all about telling the players to keep looking forward and not back at the Super Bowl XLII victory.

"Guys accepted it. I just think the way in which we approached some of these games, I questioned it going in," Toomer said. "I didn't say anything because I wanted to try to make it work out. But in the end, ultimately my suspicions came true. And at the end of the (playoff loss to the Eagles), after the other game (the regular-season loss to Philly), I wasn't surprised at all. Our approach wasn't the same as it was last year."

Asked later if he feels now like he should have spoke up, Toomer replied, "No, because no matter what, they have an agenda. They're going to go through what they're going to do. I could talk until I'm blue in the face. It's not going to make any difference. I know after dealing with the head coach, that's kind of how he is. You can talk to him and do all of that, but if he has something in his mind, that's what's going to go on."

Toomer said he couldn't have done anything more than he was doing.

"That's what's (allowing) me to sleep at night," Toomer said. "I don't think I could have done anything more. What ended up happening was a decision - and I don't know from what level it (came) - was made and that's kind of what happened."

Toomer said the team has had talks with his agent recently. Recently, someone familiar with the negotiations said there had only been brief talks - with the Giants' saying they'd take Toomer back at an unspecified "right price." But when asked today if he wants to come back, Toomer wouldn't commit.

"That's a good question. That's what I'm going to have to explore," Toomer said. "That's a good question."

Despite the fact free agency doesn't start until Feb. 27 and that players and their agents aren't supposed to talk to other teams, Toomer said he's gotten good feedback from a few clubs who might be interested in his services. Perhaps the Titans and their quarterback Kerry Collins, with whom Toomer has a very good relationship? Maybe the Eagles, against whom he's had some very good games? Toomer wouldn't say when asked directly about those teams.

"It's a very touchy situation for me right now," he said when asked what he would do if the Giants made a strong offer. "We'll see. ... It's hard not to get emotional because I've been there so long, but I've seen it happen many, many times before to other players. It's part of the business. We have a disagreement - they have one opinion of me and I have another. When a relationship is good, it's good; when it's not, it's not."

More to come on this, including video and a full transcript of what Toomer said.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01...zes_new_yo.html

One of my favorite Giants of all time. Disappointed in you here Toomer - Just shut up. The team didn't publicly rip you your first few years when you were almost cut because you weren't performing, they stood by you through a torn ACL late in your career - so don't bitch if they choose to let you go after almost a decade and a half. Its not right.

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday January 28, 2009, 12:24 PM

Star-Ledger File PhotoAmani Toomer wonders if the Giants might have advanced further in the playoffs if he'd been used more down the stretch.

TAMPA - Amani Toomer took part in a charitable event today to help build a playground here. That's ironic because, after 13 seasons with the Giants, the free-agent-to-be then pretty much tore down any chances he'll be back with the team.

In a session with reporters that lasted almost 20 minutes, Toomer criticized the team for a number of things, including their failure to use him down the stretch as they exercised their "agenda" to use younger receivers such as Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith and tight end Kevin Boss.

"The last couple of games I wasn't a big part of the offense and we lost a big percentage of the games (four of the last five)," Toomer said after the event that was organized by the Home Depot. "I feel like you can't tell me (that) didn't play a big role in it. I think it did."

Toomer said his performance against the Redskins (five catches for 85 yards, including a 40-yard touchdown) in the first game after Plaxico Burress' self-shooting should have let to the team featuring him in the offense a lot more.

"The first game (without Burress) I had one of my best games of the year. From that game on, I don't know what happened," he said. "I mean, I was in the game plan, but you have different reads and stuff like that, but it didn't work out for me."

Toomer later indicated it was more than just the reads on the field.

"It just seems like some of those games, it didn't seem the same. Last year, when everybody's jobs were on the line, everything was pedal to the metal," Toomer said in what appeared to be a not-so-veiled reference to Tom Coughlin's job hanging by a thread after the 2006 season. "All of a sudden, this year, it's a different kind of feeling."

Complacency? Because this season, Coughlin's plan to motivate the team was all about telling the players to keep looking forward and not back at the Super Bowl XLII victory.

"Guys accepted it. I just think the way in which we approached some of these games, I questioned it going in," Toomer said. "I didn't say anything because I wanted to try to make it work out. But in the end, ultimately my suspicions came true. And at the end of the (playoff loss to the Eagles), after the other game (the regular-season loss to Philly), I wasn't surprised at all. Our approach wasn't the same as it was last year."

Asked later if he feels now like he should have spoke up, Toomer replied, "No, because no matter what, they have an agenda. They're going to go through what they're going to do. I could talk until I'm blue in the face. It's not going to make any difference. I know after dealing with the head coach, that's kind of how he is. You can talk to him and do all of that, but if he has something in his mind, that's what's going to go on."

Toomer said he couldn't have done anything more than he was doing.

"That's what's (allowing) me to sleep at night," Toomer said. "I don't think I could have done anything more. What ended up happening was a decision - and I don't know from what level it (came) - was made and that's kind of what happened."

Toomer said the team has had talks with his agent recently. Recently, someone familiar with the negotiations said there had only been brief talks - with the Giants' saying they'd take Toomer back at an unspecified "right price." But when asked today if he wants to come back, Toomer wouldn't commit.

"That's a good question. That's what I'm going to have to explore," Toomer said. "That's a good question."

Despite the fact free agency doesn't start until Feb. 27 and that players and their agents aren't supposed to talk to other teams, Toomer said he's gotten good feedback from a few clubs who might be interested in his services. Perhaps the Titans and their quarterback Kerry Collins, with whom Toomer has a very good relationship? Maybe the Eagles, against whom he's had some very good games? Toomer wouldn't say when asked directly about those teams.

"It's a very touchy situation for me right now," he said when asked what he would do if the Giants made a strong offer. "We'll see. ... It's hard not to get emotional because I've been there so long, but I've seen it happen many, many times before to other players. It's part of the business. We have a disagreement - they have one opinion of me and I have another. When a relationship is good, it's good; when it's not, it's not."

More to come on this, including video and a full transcript of what Toomer said.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01...zes_new_yo.html

Maybe he should of stood up on Coughlin's desk and pissed all over it.

That might of got him some attention.

point out your team of choice so I can point out some trends.... Oh yea thats right, your too embarassed to tell us who you root for

:LMAO: this is really troubling for you, isn't it? the dog finds it funny that your response is the exact reason why, and it has nothing to do with being embarrassed...it has to do with the first part...

first barber and now toomer...one more and the dog thinks we have a trend...

Of Giants talking out in the press?, that's trains past. You're not making a point at all.

Here's a new trend, Dallas Cowboys and reality shows, explain that one?

I can criticize Toomer's delivery, but I can't argue with the substance of his message.

Fact is, Toomer is the best receiver in Giant's history, and he was completely underutilized.

Frankly, the offensive gameplan that Killdrive developed for the Eagles will go down along with Stonehenge as one of the biggest mysteries of all time:

Bradshaw - 0 carries and no role in the running game.

Toomer - no role in the passing game.

Ward - running up the gut

Jacobs - running parallel to the line of scrimmage.

1 and 5 inside the twenty at the end of the 1st half - 3 incompletions.

.....talk about outsmarting yourself.

I can criticize Toomer's delivery, but I can't argue with the substance of his message.

Fact is, Toomer is the best receiver in Giant's history, and he was completely underutilized.

Frankly, the offensive gameplan that Killdrive developed for the Eagles will go down along with Stonehenge as one of the biggest mysteries of all time.

Still can't believe it...

First down inside your own 20 in the first quarter... pass

First and Five, 2nd and 5 and 3rd and 5 fro the Eagles 25 with less than 2 minutes and them only having one timeout - Pass, pass, pass

Jacobs sitting out several drives in the first and second quarter

Hixon and Smith on the sidelines in obvious passing downs

Direct Snap to Ward

Qb Sneak with Manning

Looks like someone wanted to start talks with Oakland early

Of Giants talking out in the press?, that's trains past. You're not making a point at all.

Here's a new trend, Dallas Cowboys and reality shows, explain that one?

1. Hardknocks

2. Pick a no name to be a Cowboy - The Jerry Jones Show

3. T.O. trying to make friends reality show...

soon to be 3 in one year... LMAO

Still can't believe it...

First down inside your own 20 in the first quarter... pass

First and Five, 2nd and 5 and 3rd and 5 fro the Eagles 25 with less than 2 minutes and them only having one timeout - Pass, pass, pass

Jacobs sitting out several drives in the first and second quarter

Hixon and Smith on the sidelines in obvious passing downs

Direct Snap to Ward

Qb Sneak with Manning

Looks like someone wanted to start talks with Oakland early

I thought my trip to Germany expunged the pain of that game from my memory...I was wrong.

It's funny, this will come off as sour grapes from Amani now, but last year, when Amani spoke out about the preparation for the 2000 Superbowl, he was revealing all and "it all makes sense now". Interesting. <_<

Yup he was the one who revealed that Fassell basically changed the entire offense from what worked during the regular season and the playoffs in an attempt to throw the Ravens off....it worked I guess...cause it sure threw one team off. :brooding:

One of my favorite Giants of all time. Disappointed in you here Toomer - Just shut up. The team didn't publicly rip you your first few years when you were almost cut because you weren't performing, they stood by you through a torn ACL late in your career - so don't bitch if they choose to let you go after almost a decade and a half. Its not right.

Winning is a great deodorant. Losing Stinks.

point out your team of choice so I can point out some trends.... Oh yea thats right, your too embarassed to tell us who you root for

He's a Giants fan, he's just a huge dick head. The dog used to be cool, but some how down the line he became a douche bag.

Frankly, the offensive gameplan that Killdrive developed for the Eagles will go down along with Stonehenge as one of the biggest mysteries of all time:

Bradshaw - 0 carries and no role in the running game.

Toomer - no role in the passing game.

Ward - running up the gut

Jacobs - running parallel to the line of scrimmage.

1 and 5 inside the twenty at the end of the 1st half - 3 incompletions.

.....talk about outsmarting yourself.

what can i say joey! its all true.

We can only hope that Al Davis takes Killboy to the W-Coast. :clap:

when gillfuck is the oc i dont blame him for not wanting to comeback

I don't know. Toomer has to know he's lost a step. It was clear to me that Toomer was just not the threat in the passing game that he used to be. Teams didn't respect his ability to beat coverage, and he didn't make them respect him.

He can try to put this all on the coaches, but I think this has more to do with the bitterness that happens between a player and a team when a team has moved on and the player is still trying to hang on. We've seen this before. It's tough giving up the game you love when you just don't have it anymore. And Toomer has given a lot to the franchise over the years, it's no wonder he would be a little resentful if he still believes he can be a threat as a starting WR, which he clearly believes he can be. There's just a little problem... he can't. The Giants need to move on and get younger and more explosive at the position.

I don't know. Toomer has to know he's lost a step. It was clear to me that Toomer was just not the threat in the passing game that he used to be. Teams didn't respect his ability to beat coverage, and he didn't make them respect him.

He can try to put this all on the coaches, but I think this has more to do with the bitterness that happens between a player and a team when a team has moved on and the player is still trying to hang on. We've seen this before. It's tough giving up the game you love when you just don't have it anymore. And Toomer has given a lot to the franchise over the years, it's no wonder he would be a little resentful if he still believes he can be a threat as a starting WR, which he clearly believes he can be. There's just a little problem... he can't. The Giants need to move on and get younger and more explosive at the position.

This is similar to when Jessie Armistead left....thinking he still had another million miles in the tank....when the car basically only has enough to get you home.

Amani has every right to voice his opinion. He has been a great Giant for many years and was one of the franchises best WR's of all time. Sadly Amani is not able to see what we all have known for a few years, he has lost a step and is not what he was.

Surely the coaches would have loved him to step in and be 2000 Amani when shitforbrains shot himself, it as we all could see was not happening.

Amani is probably frustrated that to play in 2009 it will probably have to be somewhere else. Its sad, but its reality.