SportsWrath

EA could throw a draft day curveball

BigPete

Guest nosebleed
I hope that you arnt kill EA for that pick cause that was Young who picked him :doh:

No, but he is in a long line of questionable first round draft picks from the mid 90's until now.

The Colts I'm sure would be extremely interested in that pick.

I have a hard time envisioning the Colts drafting Len Dale White, even if he were available. He's not the best match to their offense from the current crop of rookie backs. Laurence Maroney, on the other hand, may be awfully tough for them to pass up.

Excellent initial post Pete. I think you bring up several valid points, especially where you state Ernie drafts for the future. Really this is the job requirement of every GM. You look at your roster, you see when contracts are expiring, you make a determination on whether you'll make an attempt to sign said player, you go into the draft with a long list of talent at a myriad of positions. The Giants likely felt the wouldn't retain Will Allen going into last years draft so they selected his eventual replacement in Webster. Strahan's getting up there in years, we were lacking depth on the outside, a tealented player like Tuck was available ... it made sense.

I highly doubt our draft will follow the "needs" list we've all been touting. It simply doesn't occur that way. And to be honest, if it does, we'll likely be disappointed in the outcome as it means we're chasing positional need instead of talent.

Would I love to see us select Ernie Sims in the first? Absolutely. Will I be upset if he's gone and a quality Left Tackle is available and we go that route? Not at all. I want talent. Free agency makes it much easier to plug holes. Yes. I'd prefer we enter the draft with a mindset of fortifying our defense but not to the extent we're reaching on players.

The whole world knows the Giants need a WLB, and many people have locked in a WLB in round 1 for the Giants, but that is not a certainty. Ernie Accorsi could well through a curve ball on draft day.

1. Ernie Accorsi likes taking the 'best player available'. It is very likely that the 'best player available' when we pick is not at a need position, but could be at a key NFL position.

2. Ernie drafts for the future, not immediate needs. (Just look at 2005 having just 4 picks: With both Wills ready to go (at the time we thought

Will P was fine), we drafted Corey Webster; With Strahan and Osi firmly entrenched as starters, we drafted Justin Tuck and Eric Moore)

3. Ernie Accorsi has publically stated that he thinks good LBs can be found in later drafts, he also has a history of drafting LBs later. In the third round, there will be quality WLB propects such as Gerris Wilkerson, Roger McIntosh and Jon Alston

4. This draft is loaded at some positions, there are far too many top players who should be drafted early, but will slip alot due to the incredible amount of genuine talent.

5. Other than WLB, our starters are in place, we have few real needs (assuming we sign Grady jackson, Sam Adams or Brenston Buckner). There are obviously positions we will like to improve, but they are not a genuine need.

Possible Draft Curveballs

note: these are in the mold of 'best player available' and upgrading positions if possible with an eye on the future

Running Back

At #25 there is a good chance that Ernie Sims, Broderick Bunkley and Santonio Homes are already gone. Chad Greenway could well be on the table, but what if a genuine stud RB such as DeAngelo Williams or more likely LenDale White is available?

1. Both Ernie Accorsi and Tom Coughlin know the value of a franchise RB. They both like the power style of football.

2. We have Tiki, but he turns 31 in april. The clock is ticking, father time is going to catch up at some point in the near future.

3. LenDale would be the perfect compliment to and eventual successor for Tiki. LenDale could take some of the load (like he did with Reggie Bush as USC), extending Tiki's career. It also allows Tiki to mentor White and pass on all the benefits of his experience to his successors.

4. LenDale was probably the best goal line/ short yardage runner in college football last year, this will significantly upgrade our short yardage and goal line offense. Brandon Jacobs still has potential to develop, but White is a much better prospect.

Tight End

At #57, the good value LBs, OTs, CBs, and Safeties could well be gone. There is a decent chance that the best player available could be TE Anthony Fasano

1. Jeremy Shockey is our #1 TE, but he has had injury problems. Visanthe Shiacoe despite having a heap of potential, hasn't really brought it all together yet.

2. Both Visanthe Shiancoe and Sean Berton are on 1 year tenders, both will be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season.

3. Our blocking TE hasn't really been solidified since Dan Campbell left, it is a position we have been looking at options to improve the situation. Unlike Campbell, Fasano is also a legitimate weapon in the passing game.

4. Anthony Fasano is a very good blocker, and a good reciever who can get open underneath. He would be a very good complement to Jeremy Shockey, particularly in our two TE sets. It also may allow Shockey to be open a little more. Many teams have been successfull with two quality TEs.

5. Fasano could compete with Shiancoe for the #2 job, while developing and adjusting to the NFL.

6. Fasano hails from NJ, Ernie Accorsi has always liked bringing in local guys.

I am not saying these are likely picks, but I wouldn't completely discount them either, especially if these guys start slipping on draft day and the more obvious choices for the Giants get drafted

Maybe even DeAngelo Williams...Like Fox sports is "mocking"

I agree that drafting based on talent is more important than drafting based on need. You use need as a tiebreaker.

The thing with this draft is that it's strength, linebacker, also happens to be our greatest need. For that reason, when we pick, there's a good chance that the BPA will be a linebacker.

The "curveball" will come in rounds 2 and 3. If we go LB in round 1, our next biggest need will be DT. I think its unlikely that the BPA in round 2 will be a DT so im curious to see which direction EA chooses to go.