SportsWrath

Injuries allready starting to pile up....WTF?

so-cal dub

Now Wang. :(

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Chien-Ming Wang's right knee doesn't appear to be a major problem for the Yankees, but don't blame Joe Torre for being a little anxious over the next day or two.

Wang, who was hit on the right kneecap by a one-hopper on Sunday, showed improvement on Monday, according to assistant team trainer Steve Donahue. Wang's knee was still a little swollen, but he had good range of motion.

"I feel better today," Wang said through a team spokesman.

Torre said that the team should know a lot more about Wang's availability by Wednesday. Wang is scheduled to pitch on Friday in an exhibition game against Arizona, but Torre said that Wang could still make his first regular-season start if he was forced to miss his last exhibition outing.

The uncertainty over Wang's status has thrown a wrench into Torre's plan to reveal his starting rotation on Tuesday. Randy Johnson has been named the Opening Day starter, and it has been widely assumed that Mike Mussina and Wang would follow him in the Oakland series.

"We'll have to wait because of Wang," Torre said. "By the time we leave Florida, we'll have a plan."

New York won't need a fifth starter until April 15 (then not until April 29), so Johnson, Mussina, Wang and Shawn Chacon should fill the rotation spots until then. If Wang is unable to go against Oakland, Jaret Wright could step in, though he faces his own test this week.

I don't see the concern. We don't have a great starting corp, but I'm beginning to like what I see. (I just don't understand why Chacon has to fight for a spot. :confused: )

If our pitchers falter, we have a couple of good, young arms in Columbus.

I don't see the concern. We don't have a great starting corp, but I'm beginning to like what I see. (I just don't understand why Chacon has to fight for a spot. :confused: )

If our pitchers falter, we have a couple of good, young arms in Columbus.

I dont understand it either. You have Chacon, Small, and Wang. Small has all but not been named a starter, Chacon is fughting for a spot, and Wang will mostlikely end up with one. Now tell me again what Wright and Pavano did for us last season that Small and Chacon didn't do. :confused: I know that was then and yada yada yada, but Christ sakes, Wright is looking like Weaver did, Pavano is a pussy, meanwhile Small went 10-0 (?) last season with a complete shut-out, and Chacon was very impressive. I guess the only thing to hope is Pavanoverated and Mr.Wrong get injured again..