Guess who has to Go to court

Lughead

Damaged car lands Giants' Burress in Pa. court

Last updated: Tuesday January 13, 2009, 6:11 PM

BY MARC LEVY

NorthJersey.com

A trial is scheduled to begin Wednesday in Pennsylvania to determine how

much the New York Giants wide receiver will have to pay in damages for

a car he leased before it was impounded by New York City police.

Court papers say Burress leased a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche worth more than

$36,000 from a Lebanon County car dealer in exchange for promises to

appear at publicity events.

But the civil complaint filed by car dealer Frederick Laurenzo says Burress

never returned the car and did not show up to sign autographs. Laurenzo

also says the car was seized by New York City police after Burress let someone else use it.

The complaint did not disclose the extent of the damage to the vehicle, to

whom Burress loaned the vehicle or the reason police impounded it.

Burress' lawyer Matthew T. Croslis said he did not want to elaborate on

the details of the case. Croslis acknowledged Tuesday that Burress is responsible for some damage to the

car, but said the jury will have to decide how much.

The star receiver who caught the game-winning pass in last year's Super

Bowl was charged with two counts of illegal weapons possession after he

accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub

on Nov. 29. After the self-inflicted shooting, the Giants suspended Burress, 31, for the remainder of the season.

Chad Johnson Changed his name

Can Plax change his name to DUMBFUCK????

I mean COME ON DUDE where you at?

Wow, Look at what the Post is reporting.

PLAX TOOK SHOT AT INFAMY IN '05

By DAN MANGAN and MURRAY WEISS

Plaxico Burress' career as a Giant began just as it likely ended - with bullets flying.

Cops in 2005 seized a pickup truck a car dealer had lent to Burress, after one of its impatient occupants fired shots out a window while stuck behind a garbage truck, The Post has learned.

CHANGE ON MENU AFTER PLAYOFF FIZZLE

The shooting came just 13 hours before the star receiver played his first home preseason game with the team.

The driver of the 2004 Chevy Avalanche - described by a cop witness as a "really tall black guy, fast" - fled on foot with a passenger when a passing police car rolled up, said a source familiar with the Aug. 20, 2005, incident in The Bronx.

"We always had a sneaking suspicion that it might be him," said a source, referring to the speedy, 6-foot-6 Burress, who in November was busted on an illegal-gun charge after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Manhattan nightclub.

Burress' lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, last night said the receiver was with teammates in a training camp hotel at the time of the Bronx shooting, which occurred at 7 a.m. The Giants routinely stay at a New Jersey hotel the night before home games and players have an 11 p.m. curfew. Giants officials declined to comment on Burress' whereabouts that morning.

The other two unidentified passengers in his four-door pickup that morning were arrested by cops patrolling nearby. Cops also recovered a silver, semiautomatic pistol that officers saw tossed from the vehicle.

Burress was never charged in that shooting.

Burress showed up at the 46th Precinct station house two days later, asking for the truck, sources said. When police refused to release it - because the title was held by a Pennsylvania auto dealer - the Giant declined to answer questions, and continued declining for weeks, sources said.

He agreed to talk to cops only after they warned that they planned to confront Burress at Giants Stadium an hour before the 2005 season-opening game.

Burress then told police he had loaned the pickup to a friend before the shooting, sources said.

Charges against the two apprehended passengers were later dropped, sources said.

The pickup truck is now at the center of a legal dispute involving Burress, 31, and the Pennsylvania dealer that is due to go to a jury trial today in Lebanon, Pa.

Burress is appealing an arbitrator's decision that he pay $22,666 to the dealer in compensation for the pickup, which cops impounded for a year.

The dealer, Bronx native Frederick Laurenzo, said Burress' agent in 2005 asked him to loan the football player the $36,000 Avalanche in exchange for promotional appearances and a promise that "only he is allowed to drive the car," Laurenzo said yesterday.

Burress allegedly never followed through on the promises.

Laurenzo told The Post that shortly after loaning Burress the Avalanche, "I got a call from the New York City police that they got the car. They said it was used in a crime . . . they asked me who had my car. I checked the serial number and said, 'That's Plax's.' "

dan.mangan@nypost.com

If this is true, then we're no longer talking about an idiot with one mistake, but a truly large asshole.

Great player or not, he has to go.

Its obvious that Plax has serious issues. I think where the Giants erred is that Plax is the type that needed a mentor/minder. Preferably a guy who was still playing and had enough star power to be able to influence him. There were only three candidates in my opinion Strahan, Barber and/or Toomer. Barber was all about himself and he would not be a good mentor; Toomer not enough star power; Strahan would have been the best option but he was going through his fucked up divorce at the time. Yesterday an Old Timer....Harry Carson himself offered himself up as a mentor for Plaxico. I really think the Giants should seriously consider this. Also Tyree weighed in on how getting himself straight has changed his life for good; and he commented that he was talking to Plax almost on a daily basis.

Then there are the niggling little rules that TC loves. Even though his foot is not pedal to the metal anymore; for a rebel without a cause like this hole...it was a disaster waiting to happen. And what is not commented on often enough, remember Plax played on extremely hurtful and damaged ankles through last year. Most guys would have tanked it; he kept on trucking. And it was obvious the Giants were grateful and eased up on him with the rules bullshit. Now what probably happened is that Plax took this easement as a permanent thing after he came in healthy. From his mindset he must have thought the Giants were ungrateful for his sacrifice and he started to tank it.

I hope from here on out not too many people criticize the Giants for trying to psychological workups on their potential players. Because its obvious that Plax has issues way beyond football. Mad at the world would be a start.

Its obvious that Plax has serious issues. I think where the Giants erred is that Plax is the type that needed a mentor/minder. Preferably a guy who was still playing and had enough star power to be able to influence him. There were only three candidates in my opinion Strahan, Barber and/or Toomer. Barber was all about himself and he would not be a good mentor; Toomer not enough star power; Strahan would have been the best option but he was going through his fucked up divorce at the time. Yesterday an Old Timer....Harry Carson himself offered himself up as a mentor for Plaxico. I really think the Giants should seriously consider this. Also Tyree weighed in on how getting himself straight has changed his life for good; and he commented that he was talking to Plax almost on a daily basis.

Then there are the niggling little rules that TC loves. Even though his foot is not pedal to the metal anymore; for a rebel without a cause like this hole...it was a disaster waiting to happen. And what is not commented on often enough, remember Plax played on extremely hurtful and damaged ankles through last year. Most guys would have tanked it; he kept on trucking. And it was obvious the Giants were grateful and eased up on him with the rules bullshit. Now what probably happened is that Plax took this easement as a permanent thing after he came in healthy. From his mindset he must have thought the Giants were ungrateful for his sacrifice and he started to tank it.

I hope from here on out not too many people criticize the Giants for trying to psychological workups on their potential players. Because its obvious that Plax has issues way beyond football. Mad at the world would be a start.

That's great and all, but the incident happened in 2005, before he ever caught a ball with us in a game.

I don't think one training camp with TC would have been enough to cause a guy to start randomly firing weapons. He should have made it at least to the regular season opener.

The guy needs much more than mentor, but you already know that. I wouldn't let him near the team again, even if he dodges jail (which seems even less likely with this incident), until he gets some serious counseling--if I had a say in it.

Yeah some people are just natural born rebels without a cause. Some get straightened out early in life....some later....and quite a few never. He still has a shot at the second category....otherwise its number 3 for him.

Heh. You said "shot." That's the last thing he needs. :P

I don't see how the Giants can keep this guy, despite what Reese and some of the players have said the past 2 days.

He's got too many issues, can't be trusted. See ya, Plax.

I think they are just trying to no throw a player under the bus. I am sure they know that with his playing issues and now legal issues there isn't much chance he will be a Giant again.

the dog thinks this is a super idea...perhaps they would be wise to also bring back dave meggett as a mentor, but of course, he would have to be released from jail immediately, well, with that whole rape charge getting in the way and all...

Yeah Harry Carson close friend of Tony Dungy and Jim Rice....two other Hall of Famer Christian good guys like Harry; all of them with long histories of working with kids and adults with records and comparing them to an asshole like Megget with a long history of problems with women. This proves what a lot of people on this board believe about you. You don't come to contribute and josh around in a friendly way; you come to snipe and attempt to obfuscate some people with your childish need to talk in the third person. Whatever...you are back on ignore.

the dog thinks this is a super idea...perhaps they would be wise to also bring back dave meggett as a mentor, but of course, he would have to be released from jail immediately, well, with that whole rape charge getting in the way and all...

1) Harry Carson is not Dave Meggett. The causes Carson has been involved with inside and outside of the NFL well past his retirement makes you look like an ass for even inferring it.

2) Meggett played 3 years out of a 10-year career here, and was never charged with anything while with the Giants. Odd that you didn't mention the Pats or Jets, isn't it? It's almost like blaming McDonald's for a serial killer because he once had a summer job there.

3) It's one thing to "talk football" and therefore keep your fandom to yourself. It's quite another to take cheap shots and hide behind that facade. That's called cowardice.

1) Harry Carson is not Dave Meggett. The causes Carson has been involved with inside and outside of the NFL well past his retirement makes you look like an ass for even inferring it.

2) Meggett played 3 years out of a 10-year career here, and was never charged with anything while with the Giants. Odd that you didn't mention the Pats or Jets, isn't it? It's almost like blaming McDonald's for a serial killer because he once had a summer job there.

3) It's one thing to "talk football" and therefore keep your fandom to yourself. It's quite another to take cheap shots and hide behind that facade. That's called cowardice.

you all need to take a breath...the giants lost...it happens. the dog will remember that in the future, any joke made mentioned in a thread that makes mention of harry carson is a crime punishable by death...nobody is taking shots at harry carson (who, by the way, the dog had the pleasure of meeting back a number of years - he signed a paper napkin which ironically, was used as a coaster around the house for several days before being thrown away...very sad indeed...)...

deeeeeeep breaths....deeeeeeeeeep breaths....it is funny how some people here can't wait to post the misfortunes or ciminal acts of players (yes both former and present) from other teams, and all take joy in taking shots at them, but are unable to handle it when the same is pointed out of giants...

So all of this comes out now, 2 months before Plaxico defends himself in a court of law.

How convenient.

Its called negative pre-trial publicity. He could possibly have the case thrown out and or won on this fact alone. How many 6' 6" Black guys are there in the Bronx...oh about 50,000. And when have you ever ....and I mean EVER heard of the NYPD not catching some guy who ran away from a situation like that. You know they would have closed down that nabe for a 10 block radius with helicopters trying to find this guy. I believed Plax should have been suspended for the 4 regular season games and be allowed to play in the playoffs like Ray Lewis and every other NFL player under indictment. Afterward he would face the music from the City and then probably get his additional suspension from the league...which is really a case of double jeopardy but whatever. And Meggett was busted for hunting out prostitutes down in NY when he visited the first time with Parcells and the Patriots talking about Giants Stadium being his house.

you all need to take a breath...the giants lost...it happens. the dog will remember that in the future, any joke made mentioned in a thread that makes mention of harry carson is a crime punishable by death...nobody is taking shots at harry carson (who, by the way, the dog had the pleasure of meeting back a number of years - he signed a paper napkin which ironically, was used as a coaster around the house for several days before being thrown away...very sad indeed...)...

deeeeeeep breaths....deeeeeeeeeep breaths....it is funny how some people here can't wait to post the misfortunes or ciminal acts of players (yes both former and present) from other teams, and all take joy in taking shots at them, but are unable to handle it when the same is pointed out of giants...

This has nothing to do with a loss. In fact, I'm not nearly as distraught as others on this board about it, as I was well aware of the history to the two teams involved.

But bolding Carson's name and mentioning Meggett is snarky, at best. And it comes off really cheap from someone unwilling to give up a defensive posture. I don't mind talking football with you, but that kind of crap sucks. And if you're going to engage in that level of conversation, have the 'nads to do it on an even playing field.

Maybe you just don't believe mentoring is enough. That's fine--I actually agree with that. Certainly not in Plax's case--but even if that's your point, why that amount of sarcasm? Did you get a thrill out of it?

And I'm aware of the less savory happenings involving past Giants--how could I not with all the crap currently going on? I know about Meggett, Ingram, Taylor, and Tyree.I'm sure there are more. I can't remember if it was Baker or Turner that pawned their SB ring because of their addiction. (I do remember CARSON trying to help the guy out, though.) Some have tried to redeem themselves, some haven't. Most didn't get involved in anything illegal at all.

A tall fast black guy and the only person NYPD can come up with is Plaxico Burress on gameday.

:rolleyes:

The truck belonged to Burress. If a tall fast black guy who was the driver of Burress' truck was seen, I don't think it an unreasonable assumption to think that it might be Burress.

This has nothing to do with a loss. In fact, I'm not nearly as distraught as others on this board about it, as I was well aware of the history to the two teams involved.

But bolding Carson's name and mentioning Meggett is snarky, at best. And it comes off really cheap from someone unwilling to give up a defensive posture. I don't mind talking football with you, but that kind of crap sucks. And if you're going to engage in that level of conversation, have the 'nads to do it on an even playing field.

Maybe you just don't believe mentoring is enough. That's fine--I actually agree with that. Certainly not in Plax's case--but even if that's your point, why that amount of sarcasm? Did you get a thrill out of it?

And I'm aware of the less savory happenings involving past Giants--how could I not with all the crap currently going on? I know about Meggett, Ingram, Taylor, and Tyree.I'm sure there are more. I can't remember if it was Baker or Turner that pawned their SB ring because of their addiction. (I do remember CARSON trying to help the guy out, though.) Some have tried to redeem themselves, some haven't. Most didn't get involved in anything illegal at all.

why are you looking at this as an attack on harry carson? nobody attacked harry carson. the dog will satisfy this - harry carson is an upstanding and superior human being with excellent football skills and a compassion for guiding troubled indivduals to lead better lives...and yes, it is about the idea of mentoring...it is about the idea of all teams have "less savory" players in their history...and not sure what you are referring to with regards to defensive posturing, but really, up all the things that go on here, this is what you are getting hot and bothered about?