SportsWrath

If Plax gets off with no charges, he'll be a giant in 09

gateb

He was getting doubled all season, so he was freeing other people up. Eli had a good passer rating with him out there and it wasn't going to Plax, so where were the passes going?

If not Plax, then someone that can get the job done. One thing's for sure, without him we were not competitive.

He's a douche and he is a bat attitude guy, frankly this all is likely to be academic. If they put Vick in jail for sponsoring dog fighting, I'm pretty certain Plax is in it for breaking the state firearms law...and in a place that serves booze. even if nobody got hurt, with the politicians calling for blood, I'd say he's cashed!

More from New York Giants' GM Reese on Burress

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Monday January 12, 2009, 4:14 PM

Here are a few Plax-related excerpts from Giants GM Jerry Reese's press conference with the media today:

(On the red zone without Burress)

We just didn't execute. When the opportunities are there you have to make some plays. Somebody has to be covered, somebody has to make the right blocks, it's everybody involved, it's a whole team effort and we didn't get enough done on third down. We got in the red zone a few times and in the playoffs you have to score touchdowns and take care of the football.

(On Burress' personal life)

That's the number one thing - he has some circumstances in his personal life that he needs to take care of and we'll evaluate that moving forward. He has some circumstances that he has to get cleaned up and if everything works out, you never say never.

(On whether he'll wait until legal process plays out)

Well the legal process can veto everything, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to make a lot of decisions prior to the legal process running its course. That will be part of the decision making as we go forward. Plax is still a New York Giant right now.

(On Burress' court date being one month into the start of free agency)

Well I don't think it would be very smart for any personnel person in a situation like that to put all your eggs in that basket (Burress' returning). We'll try to address things in that situation through free agency, through the draft maybe, but the Plax thing will take care of itself. Everything is going to unfold right before our eyes in that situation, so we'll play that out day by day.

(On if he talks to ownership about the Plax decision)

We try to do things as an organization around here. We talk about it with ownership, we talk about it with our coaching staff, we talk about it with our personnel staff, but there are a lot of circumstances involved so it's really a long way from what's going to happen with that. We'll see as it unfolds.

(On drafting a receiver)

I don't want to show my hand as far as the draft goes. You know I don't talk about the draft stuff, but there are always good players in the draft, so we'll see.

(On if he knows if the league will take action on Burress)

No.

(On the status of the NFLPA grievance)

There is really not a lot I can say about that. It's a legal process going on. There's a situation with the league office, there's a situation with the PA, so there is really not a lot to talk about.

(On a potential meeting with the NFLPA)

I don't know that.

(On his vow to talk to Burress about the situation)

I'm sure we'll talk soon.

(On the Burress suspension coinciding with the team's late swoon)

I've said this before guys, Plax has a presence out there and an uncommon skill set. You don't just replace that, you make adjustments. This league is about making adjustments. There are a lot of teams that don't have a Plaxico Burress presence that are still playing. We made some adjustments, but we just didn't play well enough last night. Obviously Plax gives you a presence out there. We didn't get it done.

(On if he'll have to find a similar "presence" elsewhere)

Well sure. Everybody would like a big Spiderman out there that you can throw balls up to and he can bring them down. Everybody would like to have that but sometimes it's not reality and you have to go with the hand you're dealt and make the adjustments to the personnel you have and manufacture and win games that way.

(On Burress' returning being the best fix)

Well, he's a New York Giant and right now he's under contract with us and that really makes sense if everything works out. But there are a lot of circumstances involved with that and who knows what's going to happen and we'll wait and see what happens.

(On if he feels there have been too many issues with Plax)

There are a lot of circumstances involved. We'll see what happens.

(On what he needs to see from Burress)

I want to see him be okay as a person more than anything else. I think if we can see that and if he's okay as a person and ready to turn over a new leaf in his life and do things to take care of himself first, then I think everything will take care of itself.

(On whether he's spoken to him)

I have communicated with him.

(On whether he's shown he can change)

Everybody makes some bad decisions so I think he has thought about some of the bad decisions he has made and I think things will begin to change as far as making better decisions for himself.