SportsWrath

Weakside Linebacker

Allstarjim

I'm asking for Giants fans to go with me on a premise here. I know we have the Eagles this week, but just to shake things up lets get a little early draft talk going.

Go with me on the following premises:

The Giants will take a LB in the first round.

The Giants will NOT trade up into the top 15 picks.

The Giants will move Kiwanuka to be the starting SLB next year, and AP will continue to be the starting MLB.

The Giants will look to find a LB who can play weakside LB and excel in coverage and against the run.

Who is the Giants pick?

I would love Aaron Curry of Wake Forest but he's probably going top 10. Don't give me Laurinitis or Maualuga either because they are MLB and don't fit the mold of WLB, and may get drafted in the top 15 also.

I'll start with one....

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Mizzou. He's 6-1, 235, and runs a 4.5 40. He had 155 tackles which I believe led the nation, 76 solo.

Give me another candidate!

OL, DE or LB is what I see, but a DT would not surprise me....with two second roudn picks and Reese apparently really good at drafting quality players, nothing would surprise me unless he takes a kicker or punter or something stupid like that.

Graham Gano, FSU! Can play kicker and punter. Excels at both. You have him, you only need one guy, opens a roster spot for another player. Guy kicked like 4 FG's in a row earlier in the year from over 50 yards, and in the Champs Sports Bowl against Wisconsin, downed 3 punts inside the 3 yard line IN A ROW. When he wasn't trying to pin Wisconsin, he was booming 50 yard+ punts. He's the best kicking weapon I've ever seen coming out of the draft.

Graham Gano, FSU! Can play kicker and punter. Excels at both. You have him, you only need one guy, opens a roster spot for another player. Guy kicked like 4 FG's in a row earlier in the year from over 50 yards, and in the Champs Sports Bowl against Wisconsin, downed 3 punts inside the 3 yard line IN A ROW. When he wasn't trying to pin Wisconsin, he was booming 50 yard+ punts. He's the best kicking weapon I've ever seen coming out of the draft.

rule of thumb is to never take kickers earlier than the 3rd otherwise you end up like the Jets and Raiders

rule of thumb is to never take kickers earlier than the 3rd otherwise you end up like the Jets and Raiders

Oh of course not. I would take him in the 6th for sure if he was still there, MAYBE the 5th. But I'm sure someone will draft him prior to that, maybe the Jets, lol.

i just dont think they move kiwi back to linebacker

and the guys in the 1st that could be around when we pick(cushing/sintim) are better suited for the strongside

i think it will be one of them, pierce at middle, and blackburn/kehl battling for the weakside spot

i just dont think they move kiwi back to linebacker

and the guys in the 1st that could be around when we pick(cushing/sintim) are better suited for the strongside

i think it will be one of them, pierce at middle, and blackburn/kehl battling for the weakside spot

I hear ya, Pdubs, I don't think Blackburn has the speed for the weakside. I like Kehl though and think he could pan out as a good starter for us there. Also agree that both Cushing and Sintim look like strongside guys, but I still like them.

I still think Kiwi moves back to LB, otherwise he will be on the bench a whole lot and I don't think the Giants want that. You're not going to NOT have Umenyiora and Tuck on the bookends on most downs, and you're not going to move Tuck inside to DT full-time either.

I'm asking for Giants fans to go with me on a premise here. I know we have the Eagles this week, but just to shake things up lets get a little early draft talk going.

Go with me on the following premises:

The Giants will take a LB in the first round.

The Giants will NOT trade up into the top 15 picks.

The Giants will move Kiwanuka to be the starting SLB next year, and AP will continue to be the starting MLB.

The Giants will look to find a LB who can play weakside LB and excel in coverage and against the run.

Who is the Giants pick?

I would love Aaron Curry of Wake Forest but he's probably going top 10. Don't give me Laurinitis or Maualuga either because they are MLB and don't fit the mold of WLB, and may get drafted in the top 15 also.

I'll start with one....

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Mizzou. He's 6-1, 235, and runs a 4.5 40. He had 155 tackles which I believe led the nation, 76 solo.

Give me another candidate!

Laurinaitis to replace Antonio Pierce within 2 years. Kiwanuka moved to LB from defensive end where he's abysmal.

See, I don't see why everyone wants Pierce to be gone so badly. I know he has looked bad a few times this year, but he's still a pretty good MLB, and most importantly, he's the leader of the defense. Weakside LB is a much bigger hole for us than MLB. And if we drafted a stud like Maualuga or Laurinitis, you might as well move Pierce right then. If you're going to invest that high of a draft pick on a MLB replacement, then they are probably good enough to start right away and be stout.

For some reason I think Pierce is going to go off tomorrow and have a BIG game.

I'd take either Aaron Curry or Clint Sintim from Virginia.

I think Pierce has got 1 good year left at MLB, dude's already a liability in coverage

and that's only gonna get worse with age. Is Johnathan Goff the answer? I don't know

but from what I understand they (meaning Giants org) are very high on him and Kehl.

I wouldn't be upset with a guy like George Selvie or Michael Johnson either, both good pass rushers.

Brian Cushing or Brandon Spikes are my picks, Cushing can play as a down lineman or stand up as a linebacker he's a jersey boy and can return home, Spikes is a killer he hits harder then any player in college football A.P seems to be declining he has played terrible over the past 4 or 5 games, i still love A.Phas the leader of the defense, but he has not only been bad in coverage he is not been the glue in the middle of the defense stopping the run i think it's time to move on with Spikes