SportsWrath

GIANTS v RAVENS SUPERBOWL

BIGBLUE01

allow the dog to clarify the point for you then...

since last year's super bowl, there was nothing but talk about the amazing giants, and how they should be #1 in the power rankings, and are the defending champs, and are rolling through, and are the team to beat...

now that it is playoff time, single game elimination, the bravado has suddenly gone and the discussion has turned to this being cake and gravy and all is well since it is just great to be a part of the postseason...

here's a newsflash: people don't care about the super bowl loser 24 hours after the game is played...and care even less about the teams that lose in the playoffs that season (wasn't it a year ago that everyone was all over the cowboys for being great in the regular season and dismally bowing out of the playoffs - wasn't that the big crash?? Now it is acceptable and celebrated??).

here's another: in 2005, the steelers won three road games as a wildcard team enroute to winning the SB and everyone talked about there amazing run, never been done...etc......for a year...and the talk ended the next season when a new team won it all...

you can be realistic, and acknowledge that repeating is extremely difficult - but to say that you are happy to just have a winning season and another SB win would just be gravy is weak...especially after all the talk up to now...

:clap: Well said. I would only add that, while repeating is extremely difficult, half the battle is putting yourself in the position the Giants are now: Healthy and 2 home games away.

This fan base has never seen their team win back-to-back Superbowls and this team has a realistic opportunity to do it. But's it's all cake and gravy. Losing to the Eagles at home, winning another Superbowl. Screw it, what's the difference?

They're raising ticket prices for this new stadium, parking is currently a disaster, ticket prices are already outrageous (not to mention jerseys), they win the division and have home field, but a loss to an inferior team...

of well, you win some and you lose some, you're the best guys, thanks for the memories and have fun spending the money... :clap:

:clap: Well said. I would only add that, while repeating is extremely difficult, half the battle is putting yourself in the position the Giants are now: Healthy and 2 home games away.

This fan base has never seen their team win back-to-back Superbowls and this team has a realistic opportunity to do it. But's it's all cake and gravy. Losing to the Eagles at home, winning another Superbowl. Screw it, what's the difference?

They're raising ticket prices for this new stadium, parking is currently a disaster, ticket prices are already outrageous (not to mention jerseys), they win the division and have home field, but a loss to an inferior team...

of well, you win some and you lose some, you're the best guys, thanks for the memories and have fun spending the money... :clap:

We're in better shape than two weeks ago, but I wouldn't exactly say healthy. Nobody's healthy at this point in the season. Not an excuse, just a reality-check.

Would it suck to miss the Lombardi trophy especially by losing to Philly? Sure it would. But having won it last year would definitely take some of the sting off, and I wouldn't exactly be driving my car into a pole.

And I'd certainly not call a loss this week a foregone conclusion, either. They're definitely beatable, "hot" or not.

We're in better shape than two weeks ago, but I wouldn't exactly say healthy. Nobody's healthy at this point in the season. Not an excuse, just a reality-check.

Would it suck to miss the Lombardi trophy especially by losing to Philly? Sure it would. But having won it last year would definitely take some of the sting off, and I wouldn't exactly be driving my car into a pole.

And I'd certainly not call a loss this week a foregone conclusion, either. They're definitely beatable, "hot" or not.

what a horrible fan you are. you have to take every loss really hard that way bad egg can make fun of us and it'll hurt our feelings. it's no fun for him if we treat the game the way a normal person in our shoes would

oh my god if a football team that i happen to enjoy watching doesn't win BACK TO BACK superbowls i'll just eat my fucking hat

If that's how egg feels, I dont see how he hasnt killed himself yet, what, with NO playoff victories or SB's in over a decade.

what a horrible fan you are. you have to take every loss really hard that way bad egg can make fun of us and it'll hurt our feelings. it's no fun for him if we treat the game the way a normal person in our shoes would

I just don't have the hairline for the football-fan/emo thing...and I can't find my Suzanne Vega albums.

I'll see if I can fake it, if I even have to.

Last year's SuperBowl can never be topped. By anyone. Ever. That is why we will not be devastated should the Giants not go back to back.

We have a great team coming off of one of, if not THE greatest SuperBowl run in the history of the NFL, and we have a good shot at the SuperBowl this year as well as a good shot next year, with Umenyiora getting healthy and extra draft picks. Let's just say us Giants' fans are content right now. Still would love another Lombardi trophy, but we're pretty happy being Giants fans these days. How 'bout you, Eggy?

Last year's SuperBowl can never be topped. By anyone. Ever. That is why we will not be devastated should the Giants not go back to back.

We have a great team coming off of one of, if not THE greatest SuperBowl run in the history of the NFL, and we have a good shot at the SuperBowl this year as well as a good shot next year, with Umenyiora getting healthy and extra draft picks. Let's just say us Giants' fans are content right now. Still would love another Lombardi trophy, but we're pretty happy being Giants fans these days. How 'bout you, Eggy?

capt9287990ff85e40d190f38a56962f4a0.jpg

Let me see if I can clarify this by comparing the 2008 Giants to my beloved Cowboys of the 1990s. Let's start with the 2008 Giants.

In my opinion, if they miss the Superbowl after winning it last year and being the number 1 seed this year, you cannot label this season as a success. Especially, when they are better than the remaining NFC teams. The Giants are not unbeatable, they are better. And they are as healthy as you can hope for.

Now the Cowboys. I am talking about the NFC Championship in SF after they won two and a row, and right before they beat Pittsburgh. As far as I am concerned, that season was not a success. They handed the 49ers 21 points in the first 5 minutes of the game. They deserve some credit for coming back and making a game of it, but they blew it. That Cowboys season was a failure and a missed opportunity that does not come around often, not a success.

Now, did I cry? No. Did I crash my car? No. Did I kick the dog? No. Did I burn all of my Cowboys items and vow never to root for them again? No.

I enjoyed watching the Cowboys that year just I do every year, but I'm not labeling that team (even though Troy, Emmit and Michael were there) a success. The 3 teams that sandwiched that squad were a success. That particular team dropped the ball and as a fan, I am still disappointed.

Things are lined up pretty good for the Giants. I'm not asking you to disown the Giants, but if you are going to judge this Giants team, how can you say anything short of the Superbowl is a success?

Now, did I cry? No. Did I crash my car? No. Did I kick the dog? No. Did I burn all of my Cowboys items and vow never to root for them again? No.

Maybe not, but I'd be willing to bet the house that half the board wishes you would have.

Let me see if I can clarify this by comparing the 2008 Giants to my beloved Cowboys of the 1990s. Let's start with the 2008 Giants.

In my opinion, if they miss the Superbowl after winning it last year and being the number 1 seed this year, you cannot label this season as a success. Especially, when they are better than the remaining NFC teams. The Giants are not unbeatable, they are better. And they are as healthy as you can hope for.

Now the Cowboys. I am talking about the NFC Championship in SF after they won two and a row, and right before they beat Pittsburgh. As far as I am concerned, that season was not a success. They handed the 49ers 21 points in the first 5 minutes of the game. They deserve some credit for coming back and making a game of it, but they blew it. That Cowboys season was a failure and a missed opportunity that does not come around often, not a success.

I enjoyed watching the Cowboys that year just I do every year, but I'm not labeling that team (even though Troy, Emmit and Michael were there) a success. The 3 teams that sandwiched that squad were a success. That particular team dropped the ball and as a fan, I am still disappointed.

Things are lined up pretty good for the Giants. I'm not asking you to disown the Giants, but if you are going to judge this Giants team, how can you say anything short of the Superbowl is a success?

But it was a good season, wasn't it?

WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!

gladiator.jpg

since last year's super bowl, there was nothing but talk about the amazing giants, and how they should be #1 in the power rankings, and are the defending champs, and are rolling through, and are the team to beat...

now that it is playoff time, single game elimination, the bravado has suddenly gone and the discussion has turned to this being cake and gravy and all is well since it is just great to be a part of the postseason...

you can be realistic, and acknowledge that repeating is extremely difficult - but to say that you are happy to just have a winning season and another SB win would just be gravy is weak...especially after all the talk up to now...

Excuse me, Mr Hotdog...I like to keep my "bravado" close to the vest, as I believe that being a loud-mouthed fan before the game is played brings you a ton of disappointment. It also gives people such as yourself the opportunity to shove "cake" in our face if we do not continue in the playoffs. I for one refuse to give you that pleasure, sir.

I'll leave that for the Eagles fans who continue to tout the feats of their beloved team, until Sunday night. :)

Excuse me, Mr Hotdog...I like to keep my "bravado" close to the vest, as I believe that being a loud-mouthed fan before the game is played brings you a ton of disappointment. It also gives people such as yourself the opportunity to shove "cake" in our face if we do not continue in the playoffs. I for one refuse to give you that pleasure, sir.

I'll leave that for the Eagles fans who continue to tout the feats of their beloved team, until Sunday night. :)

There's alot going on here but I can assure you of two things: (1) I am not the Italian Hotdog and, whether the Giants win or lose, (2) I have no intention of attempting to force anyone to eat cake.

There's alot going on here but I can assure you of two things: (1) I am not the Italian Hotdog and, whether the Giants win or lose, (2) I have no intention of attempting to force anyone to eat cake.

I'm sorry, did I call YOU-Mr. Hotdog?

Check again, humpty dumpty...I quoted him, not you.

here's a newsflash: people don't care about the super bowl loser 24 hours after the game is played...and care even less about the teams that lose in the playoffs that season (wasn't it a year ago that everyone was all over the cowboys for being great in the regular season and dismally bowing out of the playoffs - wasn't that the big crash?? Now it is acceptable and celebrated??).

here's another: in 2005, the steelers won three road games as a wildcard team enroute to winning the SB and everyone talked about there amazing run, never been done...etc......for a year...and the talk ended the next season when a new team won it all...

Swing and a miss.

Always thought Jim Fassel was an average coach, who had the luxury of two outstanding coordinators (Fox and Payton) Fassel and Paytons relationship soured leading up the super bowl for some unknown reason and Fassel basically took over play calling. Payton then went Dallas and devoloped Tony Romo, everyone says Jason Garrett but Garrett basically took over a finished product

Yes everyone forgets about Gentleman Jim throwing Payton underneath road grader (forget the bus) as he was the absolute worse coordinator ever.....ask Jimmy. ;):rolleyes:

The Dog is right. Anything short of a Superbowl is a failure for these Giants. It would be worse than Dallas' exit last season.

Unlike last year's Cowboys, these Giants are a proven championship caliber team with a Superbowl "MVP" QB and a Superbowl winning coach. Even if Tyree is not there to bail them out this year. Last season's Cowboys had no proven track record. Moreover, on paper anyway, the Giants are better than anyone left.

This "we're just happy to be here" act when you are the number 1 seed is at best, disingenous and, at worst, pathetic. Especially coming from this "loyal" and "knowledgable" fanbase.

If the Giants don't win this Sunday it will be another 17 year Superbowl draught. Afterall, you are playing the team that tied Cincinnati. :o

Come on you can do better than this...................... <_<

Swing and a miss.

if you say so...but the dog thinks your chatter regarding being perfectly fine with a playoff loss is nothing more than laying the groundwork for making yourself feel better. if you are not in it to win the whole thing, the dog isn't suggesting failure - but the dog is suggesting that you are settling for less...

the dog wasn't suggesting your bravado, as the dog doesn't really know who you are...just saw the quote as an example to the others here who are insisting that losing in the playoffs is an acceptable outcome because the giants won a super bowl last year...in the dog's opinion, as a sports fan, it doesn't make sense...

ok...but first, the dog never said failure - it is settling for less. and as a fan of a defending champion that rolled through the regular season, got the number 1 seed, and is very arguably the best team in the league, how can you want to settle for less? it's fine if you do, but to just want to be competetive is best left for the fans of teams with average expectations or lower, in the dog's opinion. the giants own the road to the super bowl, and are three games short of repeating - at this stage, it is not being a dreamer and certainly not a moron...it is very realistic, and the expectation should be so.

I wouldn't be content if the Giants lost this game, or lost next week. This team came out of the box on a rampage, and it would blow big time to have it end now. I would be happy if they at least got to the Super Bowl. Anything else, while maybe not a failure, it isn't exactly a success considering the team went 12-4 and beat every playoff team on it's schedule. (except Minny, but we all know they would have if it wasn't Week 17)