SportsWrath

Is Spags playing "hide the pickle"?

so-cal dub

Kirwin mentioned it this morning, also Mortensen(god help us) hinted that as well. I dont have a link it was said on television and I just heard it through the grape vine. They believe Spags has been hiding plays to unleash on Sunday and probably the reason our defense has been lack luster this past month.

Thoughts?

He may be hiding plays but that doesn't answer the questions about missed tackles and blown coverages in a defense that we've been using for two full seasons. Bottom line: We need to execute better.

He may be hiding plays but that doesn't answer the questions about missed tackles and blown coverages in a defense that we've been using for two full seasons. Bottom line: We need to execute better.

Not to mention zero pass rush from our stud defensive line...

The only time we've been getting pressure is from blitzing schemes(which they highlighted on TV) on third down...

Not to mention zero pass rush from our stud defensive line...

The only time we've been getting pressure is from blitzing schemes(which they highlighted on TV) on third down...

Ummm... I'll let you think about that again.

Kirwin mentioned it this morning, also Mortensen(god help us) hinted that as well. I dont have a link it was said on television and I just heard it through the grape vine. They believe Spags has been hiding plays to unleash on Sunday and probably the reason our defense has been lack luster this past month.

Thoughts?

You know they haven't seemed to blitz as much in the past few games. I am positive he did it last year in the final regular season game against the Patriots because they hardly blitzed at all. Dropped into coverage the whole fourth quarter.

It is quite possible.

Our defensive line has not gotten the pressure it had in recent weeks because unlike last year the DE's have had to play more snaps with less rotation. Alford and Coefield took more snaps in recent weeks and Tuck and Kiwi went the whole year with more snaps as Tollefson, Wynn and that bag of horse manure McDougle are certainly not Strahan and Osi. Not to mention Kiwi has never played this many games in his pro career before, combined with the fact that he is 15 pounds lighter than he was as a rookie playing DE.

So all in all it seems that a healthy Robbins, a rested Tuck and Kiwi and mimimal production from Tollefson and Wynn could be what the doctor ordered.

Our defensive line has not gotten the pressure it had in recent weeks because unlike last year the DE's have had to play more snaps with less rotation. Alford and Coefield took more snaps in recent weeks and Tuck and Kiwi went the whole year with more snaps as Tollefson, Wynn and that bag of horse manure McDougle are certainly not Strahan and Osi. Not to mention Kiwi has never played this many games in his pro career before, combined with the fact that he is 15 pounds lighter than he was as a rookie playing DE.

So all in all it seems that a healthy Robbins, a rested Tuck and Kiwi and mimimal production from Tollefson and Wynn could be what the doctor ordered.

Wynn and Tollefson have been serviceable, though...you gotta admit that...I've been impressed with the Renaldo Wynn signing, actually.

I just haven't seen much out of any of our defensive linemen the second half of the season.

And So Cal, the ONLY time we've been getting pressure is when Spags draws up something, shall we say, unique in the blitzing scheme. So we'd better hope hes hiding a bunch of said blitz patterns if we are to get any pressure, because they haven't been getting much pressure on their own.

Wynn and Tollefson have been serviceable, though...you gotta admit that...I've been impressed with the Renaldo Wynn signing, actually.

I just haven't seen much out of any of our defensive linemen the second half of the season.

And So Cal, the ONLY time we've been getting pressure is when Spags draws up something, shall we say, unique in the blitzing scheme. So we'd better hope hes hiding a bunch of said blitz patterns if we are to get any pressure, because they haven't been getting much pressure on their own.

I really like Tollefson and yes Wynn has been good, particularly in passing situations at Dt but think about it last year, it at times, at least for the first 10 weeks was Strahan, Tuck, osi, and Kiwi on passing situations and Strahan, Tuck and Osi rotating on 1st and 2nd downs. Not to diminsh the other 2 guys who have been good, but we are talking a hall of famer and a pro bowler here. That depth was amazing and the level of player they had in those 3 was unmatched. I think these guys have worn down a bit. Factor in Robbins injury and the fact that I think late last year Mitchell became a very good blitzer for this defense from the LB spot and we have yet to replace that and you have a dropoff.

Like I said, I really believe that this group of any on this team needed this week off. They were nicked up and had played 13 straight weeks, against some tough teams.

I really like Tollefson and yes Wynn has been good, particularly in passing situations at Dt but think about it last year, it at times, at least for the first 10 weeks was Strahan, Tuck, osi, and Kiwi on passing situations and Strahan, Tuck and Osi rotating on 1st and 2nd downs. Not to diminsh the other 2 guys who have been good, but we are talking a hall of famer and a pro bowler here. That depth was amazing and the level of player they had in those 3 was unmatched. I think these guys have worn down a bit. Factor in Robbins injury and the fact that I think late last year Mitchell became a very good blitzer for this defense from the LB spot and we have yet to replace that and you have a dropoff.

Like I said, I really believe that this group of any on this team needed this week off. They were nicked up and had played 13 straight weeks, against some tough teams.

The bye week was a huge need. I'm not sure you recall this but I was the biggest bitcher about the bye-week system when I saw the Giants having an EARLY bye week.

As much as you might look into the Giants 1-3 finish I think people ignore a lot of things though.

Like the Plax incident and how the "slide" coincided with that. Or how the Giants locked up their division and there was a noticeable absense on a lot of plays because of players that would have been playing if the game meant someting. The one game that really mattered and they locked up the #1. The Vikings won on a time expiring field goal when Carr was the QB.

I for one am not that worried about this game. There is a totally different emotional attachment to this game from the Giant players and I know they will be ready and prepared to kick some ass.

The bye week was a huge need. I'm not sure you recall this but I was the biggest bitcher about the bye-week system when I saw the Giants having an EARLY bye week.

As much as you might look into the Giants 1-3 finish I think people ignore a lot of things though.

Like the Plax incident and how the "slide" coincided with that. Or how the Giants locked up their division and there was a noticeable absense on a lot of plays because of players that would have been playing if the game meant someting. The one game that really mattered and they locked up the #1. The Vikings won on a time expiring field goal when Carr was the QB.

I for one am not that worried about this game. There is a totally different emotional attachment to this game from the Giant players and I know they will be ready and prepared to kick some ass.

We better be.

In the last five weeks we've faced Portis, Westbrook, Barber, the two-headed Carolina rushing attack & Peterson. That's why our pass rush has been anemic. We've done very well at containing the running games of all of those guys, except for one or two notable plays (Peterson is was something like 1.8 ypc if you take away the 68 TD run).