SportsWrath

Lets review our current roster to determine remaining holes.

GiantsRevival

We were top 5 last year some of his stats are wrong.

We don't need a #1 offense. We need a top ten defense to go along with that top 5 offense.

I was talking about what Arizona paid him. Watch how his play goes down now that he can't hide behind Strahan and Osi. They made him look real good. Obviously the Giants thought he got to much or they would have resigned him. I believe we can plug in Robbins and he can have the same success. Plus getting into a bidding battle with the Cardinals was a losing battle. They have ridiculous cap room.We only have one C on our roster, we could use another G because Whittle is gone, We need a SS to backup Wilson(I'm not even sure Harris is a SS), OT needs to be adressed we only have 3, 2 OLBers, DT, and I wouldn't mind a solid corner in the 1st 2 ropunds in case Peterson can't come back. WR is way down the list. Going from 3rd to 1st in offense is barely noticable. And there are a lot of defensive players in this draft that can start immediately. There are a number of OLBer that are starting material that should be available for us in the 1st round. Remember the 3rd WR is rarely on the field in our offense. How much of an impact do you really think a 3rd WR would be in our offense. We are mostly and I-formation offense.

Yes you are correct sir he also left out a few key stats as well. Its easy to argue a point when you misquote stats.

We didn't need to get into a bidding war with Arizona. We had the opportunity to re-sign him prior to free agency beginning. Like I said, I don't think the guy deserved a fat contract. I'm not even heartbroken he's gone because we should've been able to find comparable talent at the position, but given the contract the Cardinals signed him too, I'm surprised we didn't retain him as it was a pretty friendly figure. And if he was making plays due to the relative strength of our Defensive Ends then at least we'd have the security of knowing he'd continue to do so for us for the next couple of years. Simply put, the contract Clacny ended up signing in Arizona was not nearly as pricey as I thought it would be.

I agree to some extent. Im just trying to point out that the Giants D really wasnt that bad last year and it has already improved this offseason. With some key draft picks at DT and LB I actually think it will be improved to the point that its good enough for us to be a SB contender. The part that I agree with is the fact that we've got aging players in the secondary but you could make the same argument at WR. For me it comes down to getting players who could help us get over the hill and win a SB this year or next. I think that one of those spots is at the third WR. EA even said in his offseason interview that it was a priority of his. For that reason I wanted to discuss who the potential players are that he might draft but I guess the MB is set on taking only defensive players this year and there is absolutely zero interest in discussing the possibility of acquring an extra WR, which is fine. It just means that Ill have to go to other sites to discuss who the good mid-round receivers might be because while you all disagree that its not important, I still think that EA will draft one.

You've got a long way to go to find support for the theory:

Our Offense wasn't as good as people think. Our defense was better than people think. The 3rd WR spot is what's holding us back.

Maybe the reason nobody wants to talk about who we might take at WR is because there's no support for the idea.

Q: It is safe to say that, in general, you took care of the offensive side of the ball last year and will focus more on defense this offseason? Do you feel pretty good about the offense?

Accorsi: “Yes. I think we need another receiver. But other than that, I think we have a young back (Brandon Jacobs) that can work and stay healthy, too, behind Tiki for the depth. Our offensive line is all signed. We are in pretty good shape. We have to concentrate on defense, there is no question about that.”

---------------

This is what I'm basing my thoughts on. Obviously defense is the priority but he clearly states that he wants to get another receiver. He tried to get Keyshawn and failed so that leads me to believe that hes going to draft a WR. I dont understand why everyone wont even accept it as a possibility. OUR GM SAID IT HIMSELF!!!

Edited by Armstead98

Q: It is safe to say that, in general, you took care of the offensive side of the ball last year and will focus more on defense this offseason? Do you feel pretty good about the offense?

Accorsi: “Yes. I think we need another receiver. But other than that, I think we have a young back (Brandon Jacobs) that can work and stay healthy, too, behind Tiki for the depth. Our offensive line is all signed. We are in pretty good shape. We have to concentrate on defense, there is no question about that.”

---------------

This is what I'm basing my thoughts on. Obviously defense is the priority but he clearly states that he wants to get another receiver. He tried to get Keyshawn and failed so that leads me to believe that hes going to draft a WR. I dont understand why everyone wont even accept it as a possibility. OUR GM SAID IT HIMSELF!!!

I'm not saying I don't see it potentially occurring. I'm saying that given my preferences I'd prefer it not to happen in the first few rounds. That being said, if incredible value is staring us in the face, say Chad Jackson in the 2nd round, then I'm all for it. I don't really consider that a realistic scenario so I'm not spending a ton of time thinking about it. I also have very little concern over our 3rd wideout spot. In today's football there are very few offenses that need to rely on contributions from the 3rd WR. Heck, there are a ton of offenses that do just fine and don't even use the second receiver. I think you can even make an argument that it's more important for our 3rd WR to have good speed so he can stretch the field than it is for him to be a reliable target. Yes we'll need to replace Toomer soon. But I'm more concerned about replacing Luke than Amani. Toomer's replacement may already be on the roster. Luke's isn't.

I'm not saying I don't see it potentially occurring. I'm saying that given my preferences I'd prefer it not to happen in the first few rounds. That being said, if incredible value is staring us in the face, say Chad Jackson in the 2nd round, then I'm all for it. I don't really consider that a realistic scenario so I'm not spending a ton of time thinking about it. I also have very little concern over our 3rd wideout spot. In today's football there are very few offenses that need to rely on contributions from the 3rd WR. Heck, there are a ton of offenses that do just fine and don't even use the second receiver. I think you can even make an argument that it's more important for our 3rd WR to have good speed so he can stretch the field than it is for him to be a reliable target. Yes we'll need to replace Toomer soon. But I'm more concerned about replacing Luke than Amani. Toomer's replacement may already be on the roster. Luke's isn't.

First of all, most teams actually do use a third WR. Granted, its not an important target but most 3rd WR average between 300-500 yards a season. While its not a huge contribution its still something. There are a ton of offenseses that do fine w/o even a second WR?? Can you name teams other than Redskins and Carolina who do that?

I agree that it might be more important as a third WR to be a decent deep threat. Thats why when I was looking at potential draft picks I was looking for the ones who were better at going deep than being possession receivers going across the middle.

Chad Jackson wont be available in the second round. That doesnt mean that EA won't use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a WR. If you read the first post, I'm operating off of the premise that EA goes after the positons which he said are needs and does acquire a WR. Look no further than his attempt to get Keyshawn to validate my point that it really is a priority of his and he WILL do something about it. So if we take the premise that he will use a draft pick to address this issue (IMO it will most likely be a 3rd or 4th pick), I'd like to discuss who that player might be. If you dont want to think about or discuss potential WR's in the 3rd or 4th round, thats is more than OK.... just move onto another thread. Personally, since I believe that a third or fourth rounder will be a WR, discussing that is more interesting to me than say discussing Luke's eventual replacement, especially since EA said we are set at OL.

Although since you brought it up... I like Seppo Evwaraye out of Nebraska, I believe, sometime in rounds 5-7.

absolutely !! 100% agreed !

The other issue is with a great D you dont have to score tons of points !!!

We have and offensive line up already that scores the necessary amount of points.

The focus must be on Defense. a DT, 2 LB's and another safety or CB.

Yes! if a great talent at LT or WR is starring at us in the face fine but not at round

1 or 2 !! Put together a D that can keep people out of the endzone most to of the times

and we'll have a winning team provided that Eli continues to improve which there is no reason

to think that he wont !

martin

We have and offensive line up already that scores the necessary amount of points.

Yes! if a great talent at LT or WR is starring at us in the face fine but not at round

1 or 2 !! Put together a D that can keep people out of the endzone most to of the times

and we'll have a winning team provided that Eli continues to improve which there is no reason

to think that he wont !

martin

Martin, do you actually read these posts? I have ALWAYS said that I dont want a WR in either the 1st or 2nd round, Im talking 3rd or 4th.

DT + 2LB + CB OR S = 4 picks

If you want both a S AND CB that will be 5 picks.

In the NFL you get 7 picks.

7-5 = 2 other picks. I just want to use 1 of those picks on a WR. You can even use that last one on defense if you want.

Martin, do you actually read these posts? I have ALWAYS said that I dont want a WR in either the 1st or 2nd round, Im talking 3rd or 4th.

7-5 = 2 other picks. I just want to use 1 of those picks on a WR. You can even use that last one on defense if you want.

relax !! I agree, if there is and opportunity to pick up a WR we should go for it as long as

we stay focused on D. Th 3 WR spot has been a weak link but the team did score

a good amount of points last year. LT is also and issue.

Hope your having a great day !

GO GIANTS !!!!

---------------

This was a quote before we resigned Carter. Not so sure this still applies.

to think that he wont !

martin

I agree as well. Defense has to be a priority in rounds 1-4. Defense wins championships. And until our defense is top 10 we will not sniff playoff success. A 3rd WR won't put us over the top thats for sure.

Do you really think a 4th,5th,6th,7th round picks will win the 3rd WR spot over Carter or even Taylor for that matter? I sure don't think so. Our best hope is to have Carter stay healthy and reach his potential. He has displayed potential its all about staying healthy. I truely think we will need to draft a WR but not until next year. We will need to replace Toomer in the next few years.

Do you really think a 4th,5th,6th,7th round picks will win the 3rd WR spot over Carter or even Taylor for that matter? I sure don't think so. Our best hope is to have Carter stay healthy and reach his potential. He has displayed potential its all about staying healthy. I truely think we will need to draft a WR but not until next year. We will need to replace Toomer in the next few years.

No to he 5th, 6th and 7th rounds beating out Taylor and Carter, unless of course they get injured like every other year. But I think a 3rd or 4th will be used on a WR.

And I think it still applies. Signing a guy who, in 4 seasons, has 1 TD doesnt really address the hole. I think it was more of an insurance signing but I doubt EA's done w/ the WR position.

No to he 5th, 6th and 7th rounds beating out Taylor and Carter, unless of course they get injured like every other year. But I think a 3rd or 4th will be used on a WR.

And I think it still applies. Signing a guy who, in 4 seasons, has 1 TD doesnt really address the hole. I think it was more of an insurance signing but I doubt EA's done w/ the WR position.

I really don't think a 3rd or 4th rounder would beat him out either. He has ability. You can't go into the draft and make selections based on what would happen if our 5th option on offense gets hurt. There will be a bunch of defensive players that were rated as 2nd rounders left at our pick in the 3rd round that could give us depth where we have none. We have good depth at WR. Burress,Toomer,Carter,Taylor,Tyree, and Ponder is not bad depth at all. Before we got Burress Carter was moving in on the 2nd WR slot. The year Warner was here Carter was showing big play ability up until the injury. That year in 5 games he had 12 catches for 182 yards 15.2 yard avg 1td. And last year he played in 15 games, he was just seldom used. Why? We've been over this. He is the 5th option in the offense. Its hard to put up huge stats in an offense when your number is rarley called and you are rarely on the field. We rarely use the 3wr set. If given the chance Carter could be a very good WR. Until some one gets hurt he will not get that shot. Lets hope he doesn't get that shot this year. Hopefully Burress and Toomer can stay healthy. But to draft a WR in the 3rd round when he will never see the field makes no sense to me. Like Money has said we have no WLB at this point. So before I would draft a WR I would draft 2 WLBers and a DT. Maybe a WR on the second day is a possibility. On the 1st day I just don't see it unless some guy falls way down the draft boards. And if that happens then fine so be it. I highly doubt that happens being that this is not a very deep draft at the WR department.