SportsWrath

Wide Receivers

BadEgg

You would think they were missing 13 guys.

Sorry to break it to you, but they had there best "available" line up at the WR position and they could not get open. All night long.

They also had the greatest change up back in the history of the NFL available (yes, he was not in jail) and he was a non-factor.

If Delhomme can keep his cool, and their DBS can actually show up, Carolina may murder the Giants this week.

Denial... :chair:

that appears to be the one constant in the giant's losses when looking at the defense...when teams are at least somewhat prepared for spagnola's schemes and the QB maintains composure, they can exploit the weaknesses that the giants have and that spagnola does an amazing job of hiding, which is the secondary and pass coverage in general. the dog also may have been wrong when he downplayed the burress absence (not that he can't be replaced even right now, but there may be more of an impact there than the dog originally thought)...the fact that teams can handle their receivers 1 on 1 allows them to load up on the run and blitz manning more, and he still doesn't handle the blitz as well just yet...

I would agree with you except that there is more going on here. The Giants have not locked anything up. There is a chance that they could go in as the 2nd or 3rd seed. This would be a huge failure in light of how they played the first 10-11 weeks. More importantly, as the 3rd seed, they would not get a much needed rest, and that week off is much more important than any NFC East crown. Watch out if they lose this week. They never seem to play well against the Vikes.

The other issue is whether the Giants are really cruising because they locked up the East, or whether the problem is that they have no legitimate big play threats down the field. At least not at the moment. Who should teams fear stretching the field?

Also, Coughlin does not strike me as a coach that would coach like things are locked up, and the fact that Manning was still throwing with 45 seconds last night speaks to this. Nobody is burying them, but they suddenly have some issues.

Wow. The first goal was achieved: get into the playoffs. The second goal is a bye, which isn't out of the question; the third is home field throughout the playoffs which is also still in play; and the fourth is winning it all. The two important goals are the first and last.

The next priority would be getting the bye week. Obviously, the Oline needs it.

Why you would think the loss last night has anything to do with our wide receivers considering your front seven was holding meetings on Manning's back all night is a mystery, But really doesn't surprise me with you.

Wow. The first goal was achieved: get into the playoffs. The second goal is a bye, which isn't out of the question; the third is home field throughout the playoffs which is also still in play; and the fourth is winning it all. The two important goals are the first and last.

Why you would think the loss last night has anything to do with our wide receivers considering your front seven was holding meetings on Manning's back all night is a mystery, But really doesn't surprise me with you.

they really didn't get open...just a guess, and the dog doesn't want to speak for anyone...but...

on a side note, the o-line has been somewhat dismal for the last two weeks...which surprises the dog, who has been all about the giants o-line the last season and a half...

There is a reason that they could be so aggressive up front. They were not worried about being burned deep should the blitzes be picked up. Also, downfield coverage made Manning hold the ball longer than he wanted to. There was no separation all night long.

The first goal was achieved when they had a WR on the field that defenses were forced to game plan around and pay attention to. Regardless of the number of catches he had, teams played the Giants differently when Burress was there.

Most people would understand that. But it really doesn't surpise me with you.

P.S. Unfortunately for Mr. Hixon, and by by extension the entire Giants offense, there are no more Seattles or Washingtons on the schedule. :o

The 6er is interested in the Dog's and Egg's opinion on how or if things might have been different had Jacobs played. This is not me saying the outcome would have been different, that is just impossible to know, I'm just curious if their opinions have changed a little about Jacobs himself.

It is my opinion that you guys don't give him enough credit for what he does. I know the O-line stunk up the joint, but I do believe Jacobs might have been able to at least get some kind of running game going.

The loss of Burress is big, bigger than alot of us wanted to believe. The loss of Jacobs on top of that is devastating.

The 6er is interested in the Dog's and Egg's opinion on how or if things might have been different had Jacobs played. This is not me saying the outcome would have been different, that is just impossible to know, I'm just curious if their opinions have changed a little about Jacobs himself.

It is my opinion that you guys don't give him enough credit for what he does. I know the O-line stunk up the joint, but I do believe Jacobs might have been able to at least get some kind of running game going.

The loss of Burress is big, bigger than alot of us wanted to believe. The loss of Jacobs on top of that is devastating.

the dog knew this would come at some point....the fact is, the cowboy defense dominated the o-line last night, and a majority of the handoffs were met with immediate defensive penetration...believe it or not, jacobs does not hit the l.o.s. at full tilt unless there is a gaping hole - he stops and dances...in the end, he would not be a changing factor in that game...without the ability to stretch the defense, teams can load up on the run/blitz manning and play single coverage on the outside, which is what happened.

by the way, the dog doesn't think jacobs is a bad back, just overrated...

the dog knew this would come at some point....the fact is, the cowboy defense dominated the o-line last night, and a majority of the handoffs were met with immediate defensive penetration...believe it or not, jacobs does not hit the l.o.s. at full tilt unless there is a gaping hole - he stops and dances...in the end, he would not be a changing factor in that game...without the ability to stretch the defense, teams can load up on the run/blitz manning and play single coverage on the outside, which is what happened.

I would agree. Jacobs needs a hole. I think they would have run a little better, but I don't know if he would have changed the game. To me, Ward and Bradshaw are more dangerous because they can rip off a long run at any given moment. Especially Bradshaw. He took a screen in the 3rd quarter that, to me, resembled the long run he ripped off against the Bills last year. He was a step or two away.

And this is why it came up. I believe you may have stated that Ward and/or Bradshaw are bette equipped to make something out of nothing. Well, last night they were given nothing to work with, and got nothing.

Overrated by who? Other than Giant fans, I've never once heard anyone say he was a great back. What we do hear is that he is "bruising" etc.. Even this year, most of praise was being directed to the offensive line. Who's overrating this guy?

Fans of teams usually overrate their favorite players, so I doubt you feel he's overrated based on what you read hear. I think you may be going out of your way to underrate his importance to this team.

The Giants' wide receivers were medicore against Philly.

They were medicore against Dallas.

They are medicore today.

They will be medicore tomorrow, and against Carolina on Sunday.

And they will be medicore in their one and done playoff run... :o

True about the first 2 comments - But no receivers would have done much with that protection. Just worry about your own team making the playoffs. Your receivers weren't exactly lighting it up either yesterday

Throwing right down to the very end with your "franchise" QB when that "franchise" QB is being eaten alive is desperate. Make no mistake about it. Had Eli been injured, they would have been calling for TC's head this morning.

And the strategy failed. No garbage TD this week. No momentum. They have to go into the Carolina game knowing their passing game scares no one. Which is interesting in light of the fact that the Panthers can be beat through the air...

And who is scared of the cowboys passing game these days? Roy Williams has been a GHOST and Owens has done nothing the last 2 weeks. Your best wr right now might be Miles Austin. So worry about getting into the playoffs before stirring up more nonsense. Maybe Mr. 3.8 yards per carry can do something against Baltimore but I doubt it. And without a run game against them I don't see you beating them

And this is why it came up. I believe you may have stated that Ward and/or Bradshaw are bette equipped to make something out of nothing. Well, last night they were given nothing to work with, and got nothing.

Overrated by who? Other than Giant fans, I've never once heard anyone say he was a great back. What we do hear is that he is "bruising" etc.. Even this year, most of praise was being directed to the offensive line. Who's overrating this guy?

Fans of teams usually overrate their favorite players, so I doubt you feel he's overrated based on what you read hear. I think you may be going out of your way to underrate his importance to this team.

but, if you saw, there were several plays where they were a close to breaking it and changing the face of the game with a big play...the dog thinks this is the difference. and bradshaw hits the hole hard everytime...maybe you are right, that it is mostly giant fans when it comes to the constant praise for jacobs. that being said, the dog doesn't see why it can't be looked at realistically....

and last night, the o-line was significantly outplayed, so it is hard to judge ward/bradshaw on that game.

And who is scared of the cowboys passing game these days? Roy Williams has been a GHOST and Owens has done nothing the last 2 weeks. Your best wr right now might be Miles Austin. So worry about getting into the playoffs before stirring up more nonsense. Maybe Mr. 3.8 yards per carry can do something against Baltimore but I doubt it. And without a run game against them I don't see you beating them

Fact of the matter is that the Cowboys offense was much closer to breaking the game open than the Giants. They had guys open 3 times for big gains and just missed because of a dropped ball, a defensive pass interference and an overthrown ball, not because of a great defensive play.

What should bother the rest of the NFC, and Baltimore, is that the Cowboys are getting it done with defense. The level of their defensive play has been surprising. It's only matter of time before the offense gets going. And it's only a matter of time before Roy Williams becomes a factor.

As far as Baltimore goes, if the Cowboys defense plays the way they did yesterday, Baltimore will not win the game. You should worry about Carolina. The Giants have their hands full this weekend, with or without Jacobs.

I would agree with you except that there is more going on here. The Giants have not locked anything up. There is a chance that they could go in as the 2nd or 3rd seed. This would be a huge failure in light of how they played the first 10-11 weeks. More importantly, as the 3rd seed, they would not get a much needed rest, and that week off is much more important than any NFC East crown. Watch out if they lose this week. They never seem to play well against the Vikes.

The other issue is whether the Giants are really cruising because they locked up the East, or whether the problem is that they have no legitimate big play threats down the field. At least not at the moment. Who should teams fear stretching the field?

Also, Coughlin does not strike me as a coach that would coach like things are locked up, and the fact that Manning was still throwing with 45 seconds last night speaks to this. Nobody is burying them, but they suddenly have some issues.

I think its more mental than anything else and that includes the message from the coaching staff. I heard Carl Banks say today that he feels the team is mentally drained, coming off the constant 4 week pressure of the 2007 playoffs and getting off to an 11-1 start. He likened it to hi 1990 team, they too started 11-1 and started to slip a bit late and he and his teammates relaxed mentally, which thus translated to losing games. Not saying this is the reason, but its not like all of a sudden the Giants have become a bad team. They had beaten teams with winning records in 6 consecutive weeks, 1 shy of an NFL record set by the 70 Vikes.

Btw the Giants actually play the Vikes well in the DOME, its at home where they struggle, 2005 and most notably 2007.

Fact of the matter is that the Cowboys offense was much closer to breaking the game open than the Giants. They had guys open 3 times for big gains and just missed because of a dropped ball, a defensive pass interference and an overthrown ball, not because of a great defensive play.

What should bother the rest of the NFC, and Baltimore, is that the Cowboys are getting it done with defense. The level of their defensive play has been surprising. It's only matter of time before the offense gets going. And it's only a matter of time before Roy Williams becomes a factor.

As far as Baltimore goes, if the Cowboys defense plays the way they did yesterday, Baltimore will not win the game. You should worry about Carolina. The Giants have their hands full this weekend, with or without Jacobs.

I agree your defense is playing as good as they can possibly play right now but that doesn't change the fact that your pass game has not been up to par either. I know you guys took it to us but that doesn't change the fact that your pass game has not been to great since your savior came back. The pass game struggled against Washington, Pittsburg and New York. Iffff your defense does let up for a game (which it cannot afford to do in the next 2 weeks) are you confident that your offense can win a game for you? Like I said the Giants have struggled on offense the last few weeks but there is no denying the fact that the cowboys have as well.

I think its more mental than anything else and that includes the message from the coaching staff. I heard Carl Banks say today that he feels the team is mentally drained, coming off the constant 4 week pressure of the 2007 playoffs and getting off to an 11-1 start. He likened it to hi 1990 team, they too started 11-1 and started to slip a bit late and he and his teammates relaxed mentally, which thus translated to losing games. Not saying this is the reason, but its not like all of a sudden the Giants have become a bad team. They had beaten teams with winning records in 6 consecutive weeks, 1 shy of an NFL record set by the 70 Vikes.

Btw the Giants actually play the Vikes well in the DOME, its at home where they struggle, 2005 and most notably 2007.

Is it me or do the Giants play the Vikes every year?

but, if you saw, there were several plays where they were a close to breaking it and changing the face of the game with a big play...the dog thinks this is the difference. and bradshaw hits the hole hard everytime...maybe you are right, that it is mostly giant fans when it comes to the constant praise for jacobs. that being said, the dog doesn't see why it can't be looked at realistically....

and last night, the o-line was significantly outplayed, so it is hard to judge ward/bradshaw on that game.

But they didn't "break it". I'm not judging Ward and Bradshaw based on last night's game. I think they are both good backs. I'm just saying Jacobs is more important to the success of this team than you give hime credit for.

With as bad as we've looked the past two weeks we're 3-4 well executed plays away from 13-1. I can name you three right off the top of my head.

1. Eli to Hixon in the Eagles game. Hixon catches that pass and it changes everything.

2. Eli to Boss Cowboys game. Boss catches that pass and it gives us 1st and Goal and a huge amount of momentum.

3. Eli to Hixon Cowboys game. Hixon catches this pass and it's a TD without a doubt. I still don't know wtf he was doing on this play.

Bottom line is that we have to MAKE THE PLAYS when they are right there in front of us.

With as bad as we've looked the past two weeks we're 3-4 well executed plays away from 13-1. I can name you three right off the top of my head.

1. Eli to Hixon in the Eagles game. Hixon catches that pass and it changes everything.

2. Eli to Boss Cowboys game. Boss catches that pass and it gives us 1st and Goal and a huge amount of momentum.

3. Eli to Hixon Cowboys game. Hixon catches this pass and it's a TD without a doubt. I still don't know wtf he was doing on this play.

Bottom line is that we have to MAKE THE PLAYS when they are right there in front of us.

Agree with all of that... That throw to Boss was bad though... If that was on the money it had a shot at being a TD

The Giants' wide receivers were medicore against Philly.

They were medicore against Dallas.

They are medicore today.

They will be medicore tomorrow, and against Carolina on Sunday.

And they will be medicore in their one and done playoff run... :o

Alot of people on the saints board are throwing around the idea of a Lance Moore/ Robert Meachum/ Devery Henderson for Jacobs. Some are even saying Colston for Jacobs. I wouldnt want to trade Colston, but I could see Moore plus a pick for Jacobs. Oh wait you guys already have our second rounder next year.

Alot of people on the saints board are throwing around the idea of a Lance Moore/ Robert Meachum/ Devery Henderson for Jacobs. Some are even saying Colston for Jacobs. I wouldnt want to trade Colston, but I could see Moore plus a pick for Jacobs. Oh wait you guys already have our second rounder next year.

Jacobs can't be traded. He will be a free agent. He either signs with us or signs with someone else. Trades won't be involved

Jacobs can't be traded. He will be a free agent. He either signs with us or signs with someone else. Trades won't be involved

No shit, most at that sight speculate that the Giants FO realizes that the Saints front office is dumb as fuck. Therefore will resign Jacobs.

they really didn't get open...just a guess, and the dog doesn't want to speak for anyone...but...

on a side note, the o-line has been somewhat dismal for the last two weeks...which surprises the dog, who has been all about the giants o-line the last season and a half...

Its hard to get open in the 2.5 seconds our o-line gave Manning. This isnt rocket science.

I believe he was coaching to win most of the game. I believe the last 45 seconds, he was hoping something positive would happen on the offensive side of the ball. He was hoping to have something to build on this week. That is how concerned he is by what is happening. A coach who was satisfied with winning the division or, more accurately, comfortable with how his team was playing, would not have been risking a 9th sack to his franchise QB. He would have run the ball and been happy to end it with no more injuries. TC is not in cruise control. He is worried.

With good reason if you ask me. :o

Thats just dumb, we were one score away from winning the game. No coach in the league wouldnt have tryed for the win. If we had locked up first seed maybe he would have been ok with taking a knee, but I doubt he would have let off no matter what the case.

Side note. I dont like to give the cowboys any credit, but Ware is a freakin animal. Your whole front 7 abused us like no other team this year. Its more than obvious they wanted to win REALLY bad. And I cant believe Im going to say this, but not only is Romo a really good QB, but the kid has a set of balls too. When ever the Giants start to abuse a QB the way they were abusing Romo, its rare they finnish the game(like Johnson the first time we played you guys) and even more rare they come out with the win. If you can find away to slip into the playoffs, the boys will probably do some damage. Id like to think the game would have been different if Jacobs was in, but it probably wouldnt have mattered. Taking away Burress AND Jacobs is just too much for our offense to overcome against teams with good defenses. Not that that explains why our O-line was treated like a red headed step child.

No shit, most at that sight speculate that the Giants FO realizes that the Saints front office is dumb as fuck. Therefore will resign Jacobs.

LOL!!! Some front offices just bitch themselves out so easily. The Saints Front Office sounds like the slightly attractive but overweight college girl who gets invited to the frat party (old line winning front offices) and then she realizes she is the only chick. Instead of walking out...she agrees to the A, B, C and D trains running through her. Or she is immediately taken to glory hole heaven where she can meet up with one or two other similarly distressed friends (Detroit, Houston) and then its on to eat the meat. LOL!!!