SportsWrath

Shockjock's Mock

shockjock

*insert random, incoherent ramble here*

Here is how I would like to see the chips fall for the Giants come draft day 2006:

Round 1-Demeco Ryans-OLB Alabama-Ryans could come in and start at WILL from day one. His football instincts and smarts are some of the best in the draft for a linebacker, and he has much better game speed than his timed speed would lead you to believe. His intangibles, aggression and leadership would all be invaluable to our defense and he would make an immediate impact. Ernie Simms would be a good pick at this point as well, but chances are that, after his great combine, he will not fall to 25.

Round 2-Jonathan Lewis-DT Virginia Tech- A stout and quick defensive tackle that could come in and be a productive part of the DT rotation. He can struggle in run defense, but has the stength and toughness to improve in this area. His quickness off the snap helps him to penetrate and be disruptive on the pass rush and excels at getting into the backfield. Could fill the role that Clancy played for us last season. With a season or two under his belt he could become a very good player and add another pass rusher to the d-line.

Round 3-Dee Webb-CB Florida- A phenominal athlete who might of come out of college too early. While he does have outstanding physical skills, he is still raw and would not be ready to really contribute next season as he would still need some coaching. But, with the signings of McQuarters and Madison, he likely would be the dime corner at best and would have the time to develop that he needs. Has the tools to start at CB eventually.

Round 4-Jonathan Orr-WR Wisconsin- Would give our offense a quality deep threat. Is a great leaper, has great speed, and good hands. Does have trouble finding holes in coverage and can struggle to get open, so may never become a #1 but has the tools to, at the very least, become a very good slot reciever and could very well beat our Carter and Taylor in camp to be the third wideout. Developmental prospect.

Round 5-Michael Toudouze-OT TCU- Toudouze would be a developmental player that brings the size and athletic ability to the table to eventually play LT in the pros. Would need a few season of coaching before he was ready, but luckily we have Luke locked up for awhile, and Whitfield as primary backup, so we can afford to take some time to coach him up.

Round 6-Brandon Johnson-OLB Louisille- Outstanding athlete, but Johnson seriously lacks size. Would contribute on special teams and add depth at the WILL spot. At this point, his physical skills would make him a good pick late in the draft.

Round 7-Dawan Landry-S Georgia Tech- A huge hitter with great size, but a player that has below average speed. Most likely would play Strong Saftey in the NFL and would help provide depth at that position and could contribute on special teams.

So there it is...thoughts, comments, complaints?

I'm really not big on Ryan. Our defense is VERY slow. Ryan is isn't that fast. So it really wouldn't make sense for us to draft him. Love your third and fourth picks. Good job, you realy done you research.

Your lower round are solid too. :TU:

I'm really not big on Ryan. Our defense is VERY slow. Ryan is isn't that fast. So it really wouldn't make sense for us to draft him. Love your third and fourth picks. Good job, you realy done you research.

I watched about 2 or 3 'Bama games this season and let me tell you, Ryans is much faster than he times. He fls around the field, chases plays down...I was actually surprised when I read scouting reports that stated he was "not a great athlete"...timed speed means little, game speed is important, and Ryans has got plenty of it.

Here is how I would like to see the chips fall for the Giants come draft day 2006:

Round 1-Demeco Ryans-OLB Alabama-Ryans could come in and start at WILL from day one. His football instincts and smarts are some of the best in the draft for a linebacker, and he has much better game speed than his timed speed would lead you to believe. His intangibles, aggression and leadership would all be invaluable to our defense and he would make an immediate impact. Ernie Simms would be a good pick at this point as well, but chances are that, after his great combine, he will not fall to 25.

Round 2-Jonathan Lewis-DT Virginia Tech- A stout and quick defensive tackle that could come in and be a productive part of the DT rotation. He can struggle in run defense, but has the stength and toughness to improve in this area. His quickness off the snap helps him to penetrate and be disruptive on the pass rush and excels at getting into the backfield. Could fill the role that Clancy played for us last season. With a season or two under his belt he could become a very good player and add another pass rusher to the d-line.

Round 3-Dee Webb-CB Florida- A phenominal athlete who might of come out of college too early. While he does have outstanding physical skills, he is still raw and would not be ready to really contribute next season as he would still need some coaching. But, with the signings of McQuarters and Madison, he likely would be the dime corner at best and would have the time to develop that he needs. Has the tools to start at CB eventually.

Round 4-Jonathan Orr-WR Wisconsin- Would give our offense a quality deep threat. Is a great leaper, has great speed, and good hands. Does have trouble finding holes in coverage and can struggle to get open, so may never become a #1 but has the tools to, at the very least, become a very good slot reciever and could very well beat our Carter and Taylor in camp to be the third wideout. Developmental prospect.

Round 5-Michael Toudouze-OT TCU- Toudouze would be a developmental player that brings the size and athletic ability to the table to eventually play LT in the pros. Would need a few season of coaching before he was ready, but luckily we have Luke locked up for awhile, and Whitfield as primary backup, so we can afford to take some time to coach him up.

Round 6-Brandon Johnson-OLB Louisille- Outstanding athlete, but Johnson seriously lacks size. Would contribute on special teams and add depth at the WILL spot. At this point, his physical skills would make him a good pick late in the draft.

Round 7-Dawan Landry-S Georgia Tech- A huge hitter with great size, but a player that has below average speed. Most likely would play Strong Saftey in the NFL and would help provide depth at that position and could contribute on special teams.

Ryans and Lewis are the only ones I liked

Ryans and Lewis are the only ones I liked

interesting...seeing as Johnson was also in your draft...don't like him anymore?

Please....gimme some feed back....just because i ripped yours to shreds doesn't mean to should dislike mine just to spite me.....

I thought our defense is pretty fast. Madison made it a bit slower and if Emmons starts, it is slow there too. But Osi is really fast, Robbins and Joseph are relatively fast for DTs, Strahan is Strahan and our safeties have very nice speed also. I wouldn't call it very slow.

interesting...seeing as Johnson was also in your draft...don't like him anymore?

Please....gimme some feed back....just because i ripped yours to shreds doesn't mean to should dislike mine just to spite me.....

dont take it personel man...jeez next time I wont reply at all, I like Johnson but dont think he will last that long

<_<

I'm starting to think that Ryans is the favorite to be our pick. With either or both Greenway or Simms gone, we all know how Accorsie like character guys for the most part, and Ryans fits the bill.

Lewis I think might be a reach for us for a couple of reasons...he's not the biggest of DT's, and he got hurt the week of the Senior Bowl, and not being able to compete in that environment in front of scouts and coaches hurt his stock.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no way we draft Dee Webb. His attitude and off-the field troubles should steer the Giants, and other teams, clear of Webb.

I like Orr, I don't know if he'll last that long, but he'd be a great 4th round pick.

Johnson won't fall to the 6th round, IMO, and I wouldn't be dissapointed if we selected him earlier.

I watched about 2 or 3 'Bama games this season and let me tell you, Ryans is much faster than he times. He fls around the field, chases plays down...I was actually surprised when I read scouting reports that stated he was "not a great athlete"...timed speed means little, game speed is important, and Ryans has got plenty of it.

Isn't that what people were saying about Greisen when we drafted him? I'm not comparing the skills of the two in general, but a guy who doesn't have a "great" 40 time and looks faster on the field in college, has much to do with the competition imo. When you move up to the NFL, that "field speed" doesn't translate 100%, especially when you're no longer just flying around the field and must adhere to your responsibilities in a particular scheme.

I like Ryans, but just a thought on the speed thing.

I thought our defense is pretty fast. Madison made it a bit slower and if Emmons starts, it is slow there too. But Osi is really fast, Robbins and Joseph are relatively fast for DTs, Strahan is Strahan and our safeties have very nice speed also. I wouldn't call it very slow.

Not really…

Lets think about this for a moment. The Giants are pretty fast upfront (DL)…But, everything else we’re actually very slow. For example, our LB is extremely slow. Torbor, Edmonds and Pierce are very slow LB. I’m sure all of the, run in the upper 4.70s.

Our Secondary is also slow…Yes we have Wilson. But, Madison, Webster and Demps are slow compare to other secondaries in the league.

I’m sorry, but it’s the truth.

Not really…

Lets think about this for a moment. The Giants are pretty fast upfront (DL)…But, everything else we’re actually very slow. For example, our LB is extremely slow. Torbor, Edmonds and Pierce are very slow LB. I’m sure all of the, run in the upper 4.70s.

Our Secondary is also slow…Yes we have Wilson. But, Madison, Webster and Demps are slow compare to other secondaries in the league.

I’m sorry, but it’s the truth.

Torbor ran a 4.6 coming out the draft and has great AA. Pierce didn't time great, but he's got terrific on-field speed, plus he is a smart player and knows were to be, which is a more important quality than pure straight-line timed speed.

I like Orr on the second day too. I'm also glad to see you adding a LT prospect. In a perfect world I'd like a guy who needs less seasoning as cutting Luke prior to the '07 season wouldn't be a bad thing, cap wise.

I don't like the thought of adding a Defensive Tackle who isn't a run stuffer. We generate plenty of pass rush from our ends. A pass rushing Defensive Tackle just isn't high on my list. Whereas a space clogging run stuffing DT is.

Ryans just may fall to us considering Sims elevated stock. I even saw one mock that had Greenway falling that far after his mediocre pro-day. Although I doubt that will happen.

Torbor ran a 4.6 coming out the draft and has great AA. Pierce didn't time great, but he's got terrific on-field speed, plus he is a smart player and knows were to be, which is a more important quality than pure straight-line timed speed.

I don’t remember Torbor’s actual number from the combine. I could of sweared it was in the 4.70s. I’m going to have to look at my notes from last year. ;)

I like Ryans if Sims or Greenway are gone. Although we are looking to upgrade our team speed you are right Ryans plays much faster then he times. Lewis is a decent pick for a 2nd rounder, theres a few guys I like better but hes a solid pick. Dee Webb has recently had trouble with the law, although I dont think he was found guilty as of yet I dont think we'll be looking at him. Orr is a real solid pick in the 4th, with better coaching he could really develop into a good NFL flanker. I think draftin a tackle in the 5th might be pointless, because you wont be drafting a future starter at LOT you'll be drafting a future backup. Johnson in the 6th hell no. Landry is a big safety and if he is around in the 7th he would be a solid pick, we could do much worse.

I like Ryans if Sims or Greenway are gone. Although we are looking to upgrade our team speed you are right Ryans plays much faster then he times. Lewis is a decent pick for a 2nd rounder, theres a few guys I like better but hes a solid pick. Dee Webb has recently had trouble with the law, although I dont think he was found guilty as of yet I dont think we'll be looking at him. Orr is a real solid pick in the 4th, with better coaching he could really develop into a good NFL flanker. I think draftin a tackle in the 5th might be pointless, because you wont be drafting a future starter at LOT you'll be drafting a future backup. Johnson in the 6th hell no. Landry is a big safety and if he is around in the 7th he would be a solid pick, we could do much worse.

Drafting a tackle late would be just like drafting any other position late in the draft. With coaching there is always a chance that a late round player could become a good player, and i don't see why it would be different for an offensive tackle. Plus, if he doesn't turn out to be a starter...It was only a fifth rounder...not a first day pick.

And the only reason i have Brandon Johnson going that low is because of where draft countdown has him ranked among OLB's.....thinking I may have to change that up

Drafting a tackle late would be just like drafting any other position late in the draft. With coaching there is always a chance that a late round player could become a good player, and i don't see why it would be different for an offensive tackle. Plus, if he doesn't turn out to be a starter...It was only a fifth rounder...not a first day pick.

And the only reason i have Brandon Johnson going that low is because of where draft countdown has him ranked among OLB's.....thinking I may have to change that up

You're drafting him to eventually replace Luke, am I right? Left tackles are hard to find as it is and you think we can find one in the 5th to eventually replace Luke? That means he will be taking up a roster spot the next few seasons for just that small chance of him developing into a starting LT. Other positions are much easier to find and develop a late round pick mainly because they arent as critical as a LT. That doesnt apply in all cases but most.

So with this drafted T and the other 3 actually 4 including Diehl currently on roster you'll have 4 possibly 5 that can play tackle. Then you'll have only 4 to make up our interrior oline... 3 positions 4 players.... doesnt sound like to good of an idea to me especially since that one tackle you drafted in the 5th wont even see the field for another 2-3 years. From the looks of it you tried to knock off one of our "needs" by making this pick... so I guess what Im trying to say is a back up tackle isnt one of our needs. If you would have drafted an interrior olineman I would've felt better about the pick.

Im thinking the reason you drafted Johnson in the 6th was because you thought you could fit in a OT in the 5th and get away with it as a good pick.

You're drafting him to eventually replace Luke, am I right? Left tackles are hard to find as it is and you think we can find one in the 5th to eventually replace Luke? That means he will be taking up a roster spot the next few seasons for just that small chance of him developing into a starting LT. Other positions are much easier to find and develop a late round pick mainly because they arent as critical as a LT. That doesnt apply in all cases but most.

So with this drafted T and the other 3 actually 4 including Diehl currently on roster you'll have 4 possibly 5 that can play tackle. Then you'll have only 4 to make up our interrior oline... 3 positions 4 players.... doesnt sound like to good of an idea to me especially since that one tackle you drafted in the 5th wont even see the field for another 2-3 years. From the looks of it you tried to knock off one of our "needs" by making this pick... so I guess what Im trying to say is a back up tackle isnt one of our needs. If you would have drafted an interrior olineman I would've felt better about the pick.

Im thinking the reason you drafted Johnson in the 6th was because you thought you could fit in a OT in the 5th and get away with it as a good pick.

....right now the 7 offensive lineman going into next season that are for sure are....Diehl, Snee, Seubert at Guard...O'hara at center...Luke, KM and Whitfield at tackle...The way I see it...we should have 4 guards(2 starters, 2 backups), 4 tackles(2 starters, 2backups), and two centers(starter, backup). We still have room for a backup at guard, tackle and center. Because of the versatility of some of our lineman, we may only have room for two more reserves. Either way, there is room for a late round tackle to make the team along with ATLEAST one other lineman. And where is there a rule that says a late round tackle can't eventually mature into a good player and future starter? Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and we cut him next season...

The reason I took Brandon Johnson in the 6th was that the ranking i was looking at led me to believe he would be there in the sixth round, and he would be a great value pick at that point.

Don't judge me pizan :ph34r:

Edited by shockjock

Actually if we were to secure a first day Left Tackle in this years draft who showed enough promise during the season we could cut Petitgout and save significantly on the cap. I'm telling you right now ... if Luke won't restructure and we have to pay him his full salary next year, you can forget about us being players in the free agent market.

....right now the 7 offensive lineman going into next season that are for sure are....Diehl, Snee, Seubert at Guard...O'hara at center...Luke, KM and Whitfield at tackle...The way I see it...we should have 4 guards(2 starters, 2 backups), 4 tackles(2 starters, 2backups), and two centers(starter, backup). We still have room for a backup at guard, tackle and center. Because of the versatility of some of our lineman, we may only have room for two more reserves. Either way, there is room for a late round tackle to make the team along with one ATLEAST one other lineman. And where is there a rule that says a late round tackle can't eventually mature into a good player and future starter? Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and we cut him next season...

The reason I took Brandon Johnson in the 6th was that the ranking i was looking led me to believe he would be there in the sixth round, and he would be a great value pick at that point.

You very rarly have a team take 9 lineman going into a season. Youre wasting a roster spot on that tackle cause he'll never see the field. We already have 4 possible tackles on the team and you want to bring in another. I think if you are drafting a lineman in the 5th I much rather have it be an interrior lineman. The quality is much better at that point in the draft for interrior lineman as well as needing an actually back up at center more so then a tackle. There is no rule, lol, its just commen sense. The chances are real low for a 5th round tackle to develop into a starting LT.

lol Im not judging you, just saying thats all.

....right now the 7 offensive lineman going into next season that are for sure are....Diehl, Snee, Seubert at Guard...O'hara at center...Luke, KM and Whitfield at tackle...The way I see it...we should have 4 guards(2 starters, 2 backups), 4 tackles(2 starters, 2backups), and two centers(starter, backup). We still have room for a backup at guard, tackle and center. Because of the versatility of some of our lineman, we may only have room for two more reserves. Either way, there is room for a late round tackle to make the team along with ATLEAST one other lineman. And where is there a rule that says a late round tackle can't eventually mature into a good player and future starter? Worst case scenario is he doesn't work out and we cut him next season...

The reason I took Brandon Johnson in the 6th was that the ranking i was looking at led me to believe he would be there in the sixth round, and he would be a great value pick at that point.

:(

Guest Nutty Sack

Is it possible that I'm reading this right ?? Robbins and Joseph are fast ?? Perhaps to the buffet table but certainly not on the football field.

That's a bit of a stretch Gateb.

Is it possible that I'm reading this right ?? Robbins and Joseph are fast ?? Perhaps to the buffet table but certainly not on the football field.

That's a bit of a stretch Gateb.

Yes...4.90 is pretty fast for a DT.