SportsWrath

Some Trades Today

jranieli

Colorado sent OF - Matt Holliday to Oakland for Carlos Gonzalez, left-hander Greg Smith and reliever Huston Street. In turn, Colorado is interested in trading Street.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/11618874

Also, Marlins have traded LHP Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to the Nationals for OF Emilio Bonifacio and minor leaguers RHP P.J. Dean and OF Jake Smolinski

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8779806...sen,-Willingham

Ah, but the odds are pretty good, or at least they're there, that Holliday is going to be flipped. It doesn't really make too much sense for Beane to trade for him, especially considering the differences in ballparks and the fact that Holliday, the Boras client, is getting his payday next year. There are three options.

A. A's keep Holliday and attempt to win the division. The Mariners won't pose a threat, the Rangers are...how do I put this nicely...looking for pitching...and the Angels, though solid, aren't invincible, especially if they lose Teixeira. A's get two draft picks when Holliday leaves at the end of the season.

B. A's trade Holliday mid-season after he proves that he can hit as well as before outside of Coors. Beane is hailed as a genius for driving up Holliday's value.

C. A's flip Holliday and get a package of players that they wouldn't have been able to get in a complicated three way deal. In a three way deal, you have to appease both teams. As the middle man, Beane could have traded away Street, Gonzalez, and other prospects, wait a while until the offseason storylines play out, and then focus on a team with a set of prospects that he'd desire much more than those he let go. It's his type of thing to do. This is the most intriguing option...which oddly enough...makes the most sense. I think that the Rockies just wanted to get it done while Beane is more patient and knows what he wants and how to play the trade market as the offseason continues.

A's need a recognizable name in the lineup- they were considering Giambino but he's a clone of Cust. So this way

they get someone who can put a few butts in the seats, hit for average and field a position (barely, but better than

the alternative) and you're right, they won't hold on to him unless they're in the race.

I cant see why any player would be thrilled to play in Oakland.

pretty loose clubhouse , from what i hear. guys have fun and like each other for the most part. but that foul territory takes about 10 points off your average as opposed to colorado adding about 20. so expect his numbers to suffer.

not like larry beinfest to make that shitty trade....but I have to see how it plays out, I would never doubt beinfest, he is the best gm in baseball....and yes, he is better than that dick in Oakland. I like Bonifacio, but the other two are nothng special. Willingham is a very good player.