SportsWrath

something Ive noticed that may or may not have made a difference in the Giants success

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

Ive noticed that many of the Giants players come from very good academic schools. North Western, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Boston ect. I cant help but htink that this has something to do with the Giants success. They seem to not only draft good players, but intelliegnt ones. Just something I think might not be a coincidence...discuss

ummmm... your statement has a good point... so for all those years that we failed. i guess we can blame it on those top pick players coming out of dumb party schools like Miami Hurricanes (shocky and willie Joe) ?? to some point, i want to disagree with your post , cuz we just got Phillips...

also what makes a "Smart" school????.. if smart is the level of IQ only, why aren't we getting guys out of Stanford and Yale?

I think where the Giants have had success is in evaluating the character of the player that has also competed on the highest level. Many of the young talent has played in big time conferences in big time games. Both the Giants starting CB's played in the top 2 conferences in the country and both played in national championship games. Barry Cofield and Jay Alford played in one of the toughest conferenes in the big 10.

I feel like lately the Giants have been drafting pure athletes...not works in progress(like Jeff Hatch)....but raw talents that can come in and have an impact immediately...many coming in as key players to use in key situations, such as using their speed(a big attribute that you can tell has been a priority in the draft) to blitz or using their intelligence to come in and play on key third downs...

Ive noticed that many of the Giants players come from very good academic schools. North Western, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Boston ect. I cant help but htink that this has something to do with the Giants success. They seem to not only draft good players, but intelliegnt ones. Just something I think might not be a coincidence...discuss

the dog is pretty sure you would see a lot of nfl rosters with players drafted from the same schools...but perhaps you are right, no doubt plaxico burress was ranked #1 in his class at Michigan State....

the dog is pretty sure you would see a lot of nfl rosters with players drafted from the same schools...but perhaps you are right, no doubt plaxico burress was ranked #1 in his class at Michigan State....

Hey, he didnt mention Michigan State! :P

What a coincidence. It took you and eggy the same number of days to get over the beating.

The Hugh Gereckshun would like to know what year and round did the Giants draft Plaxico Burress in.

ummmm... your statement has a good point... so for all those years that we failed. i guess we can blame it on those top pick players coming out of dumb party schools like Miami Hurricanes (shocky and willie Joe) ?? to some point, i want to disagree with your post , cuz we just got Phillips...

also what makes a "Smart" school????.. if smart is the level of IQ only, why aren't we getting guys out of Stanford and Yale?

Probably because not many of those guys are good enough athletes.

The more complex NFL schemes become, the more important it is to have smart - reasonably smart - players on the field. Back in the 60s and earlier, a lot of those guys didn't feel comfortable signing their names unless they had a crayon in their hands.

For example, the wonderlic test...I read somewhere that the average NFL player scores higher on the wonderlic than the average dude in the general population. The modern NFL is, as a whole, filled with relatively bright guys.

Very good point (especially about Rutgers :) ). Smart players are coachable players.

Both Accorsi and Reese have had a good streak of luck, too.

Examples:

They took chances on guys like Tuck and Webster - two players that were ranked as high first rounders, but suffered injuries in college which dropped their draft stock.

Kiwinuka was considered a "stretch" by many scouts....which cracks me up.

Jacobs was a risk because of his small-school program, and concerns about his size and speed being outside the prototypical Emmitt Smith body type that everyone was looking for.

Osi and Boss were also both small-program risks, too.

Bradshaw was a risk because of his small-school status, and his off-field issues.

I give the scouting department tons of credit for the homework they've done recently.

The Hugh Gereckshun would like to know what year and round did the Giants draft Plaxico Burress in.

they didn't...but the dog would believe that if you are going to talk about a team bringing in such intellectuals from top schools, you have to look at free agency as well...none the less, most teams are bringing in players from similar schools...the giants are spotting and developing talent, but it is doubtful that they are spending too much time looking at players transcripts...

they didn't...but the dog would believe that if you are going to talk about a team bringing in such intellectuals from top schools, you have to look at free agency as well...none the less, most teams are bringing in players from similar schools...the giants are spotting and developing talent, but it is doubtful that they are spending too much time looking at players transcripts...

Dog, I find you very amusing, I love the way you try and turn things around all the time, its funny. Clearly I was only speaking of players the Giants drafted, but you wanted to make an argument out of this thread. Now the only question I have for you is this......what is the opposite of above me?

Dog, I find you very amusing, I love the way you try and turn things around all the time, its funny. Clearly I was only speaking of players the Giants drafted, but you wanted to make an argument out of this thread. Now the only question I have for you is this......what is the opposite of above me?

below you...the dog means not to make an argument out of this thread...if you want to keep it to players drafted, then the dog is sure before anyone makes a blanket statement, they should look at every teams roster to see what schools those teams are taking players from as well...no disrespect intended...

below you...the dog means not to make an argument out of this thread...if you want to keep it to players drafted, then the dog is sure before anyone makes a blanket statement, they should look at every teams roster to see what schools those teams are taking players from as well...no disrespect intended...

Its not like he said "It seems the Giants draft smart players from good schools while the other 31 teams draft basket weaving majors from dip shit schools".

The other teams have no relevance in this discussion, nor does free agency, its merely an observation, by a fan about 1 aspect that he has noticed about his team.