SportsWrath

4th & 6 Play Analyzed by NFL Films

jranieli

I've been saying it for awhile. Ward is the more complete back then Jacobs at this point and we need to keep him.

So the question becomes, will we be able to sign both or do we have to make a choice? If Jacobs wants $25+M/5 years, as I've seen suggested a few times, I think you pass and sign Ward for considerably less. Ward and Bradshaw would be a great, cap friendly running tandem.

So the question becomes, will we be able to sign both or do we have to make a choice? If Jacobs wants $25+M/5 years, as I've seen suggested a few times, I think you pass and sign Ward for considerably less. Ward and Bradshaw would be a great, cap friendly running tandem.

I think Reese will pull one of his "sit down and talk" sessions with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw and see what they want in the future for the team.

Would Bradshaw be happy with a backup/situation back type of position like a Reggie Bush?

Does Ward want to be the starter in the offense and the full time back?

How much does Jacob think he's worth?

It's going to be an interesting off season.

I think Reese will pull one of his "sit down and talk" sessions with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw and see what they want in the future for the team.

Would Bradshaw be happy with a backup/situation back type of position like a Reggie Bush?

How much does Jacob thing he's worth?

Bradshaw would embrace a hybrid position a la Reggie Bush in a NY minute. This is a good problem to have. I agree with Nesta regarding Jacobs being the key element. Bush is having a much better year because of a healthy dose of Deuce.

Sorta scary to think that it's possible we might lose both Jacobs and Ward this offseason. We can certainly assume one of the two won't be here. Honestly, I don't know who I'd keep. Like nes said, Jacobs is the battering ram that really wears a defense out and breaks their spirit, but Ward is probably a better reciever, has a great skill set and can get it done in short yardage too.

I just hope we don't lose 'em both.

Bradshaw has another 3 years on his contract, I think, so he is good for a while. The issue is really on how much Ward and Jacobs want and I highly doubt both can be signed. Out of the two I think Jacobs is the better bet as Bradshaw can fill in for Ward no problem and Ward is an injury risk.

Fixed.

All the players caught were on water pills, StarCaps I think. Nobody has been suspended yet and I think the NFL may let this one pass because the banned substance wasn't an ingredient. The NFL now has a drug hot line so you can make sure your supplement is legit, although apparently it's hard to get anybody on the line.

Sorta scary to think that it's possible we might lose both Jacobs and Ward this offseason. We can certainly assume one of the two won't be here. Honestly, I don't know who I'd keep. Like nes said, Jacobs is the battering ram that really wears a defense out and breaks their spirit, but Ward is probably a better reciever, has a great skill set and can get it done in short yardage too.

I just hope we don't lose 'em both.

Yes, Jacobs is a battering ram but there's still too many runs for 1 or 2 yards for my taste. I know he averages about 5 yards per carry but runs of 2, 2, 2 & 14 is a 5 yard average. While not the load that Jacobs is, Ward is 5' 11", 230 - big & powerful AND he's got great vision, a quicker burst and a wiggle - makes people miss.

It all comes down to how much $$ they want. If Jacobs is looking for 5 years/$25M and Ward can be signed for say, 4 years/$15M, I think Jacobs prices himself out of town.

For all we know the Giants FO has already talked to Ward and Jacobs about the situation and it is all worked out. I mean they both know they are going to get carries with the Giants and I know they are both happy with their situation. For all we know they will sit down and work out some sort of way that they can both get paid fairly that will work out for the Giants.

The thing that really scares me is how much attention Jacobs is getting and that some team comes up to him and says "Here is 75 million come play for us"

they are both injury risks, but they are both very good. Id ahte to lose either of them, but that seems inevitable. I dont know, I really like them both a lot. I guess Id take Jacobs, he's a life long Giant and 2 years younger than Ward. Plus, as its been stated Bradshaw can do the things that Ward can do....and I think Bradshaw is faster.

they are both injury risks, but they are both very good. Id ahte to lose either of them, but that seems inevitable. I dont know, I really like them both a lot. I guess Id take Jacobs, he's a life long Giant and 2 years younger than Ward

I dont know about that..I like how Deion Sanders said it best "Jacobs is running with a big heart and light pockets"..he's playing to get paid and he's getting alot of attention around the league. I know he has a good thing here but he is also splitting alot of time with Ward..heck look at the Steelers game he was taken out in the 4th quarter. I know he would like to stay a Giant but if Jacobs is holding us hostage saying "Oh I want so and so amount" and we're not willing to pay and some other team comes along with a better offer I can see him taken it. Or even use him as some sort of trade bait if he is trying to hold us for a large amount of money...I dont think Reese will take being played well especially with Ward and Bradshaw on the roster.

I also think Ward isnt going to command alot of money, I think he likes the role of being a backup and coming in after Jacobs. He knows what he has here with the Giants and like I said at the end of the season I doubt he will be asking as much as Jacobs.

You can't trade a guy who is about to become a free agent. And as far as Bradshaw being able to do a lot of the same things Ward can, that's not true. Bradshaw is about 190, Ward is 230. Ward is an every down back, who can move the pile but still has vision and a burst. Bradshaw, at this point in his career, is more a change of pace back, who can off the bench and provide a spark.

You can't trade a guy who is about to become a free agent. And as far as Bradshaw being able to do a lot of the same things Ward can, that's not true. Bradshaw is about 190, Ward is 230. Ward is an every down back, who can move the pile but still has vision and a burst. Bradshaw, at this point in his career, is more a change of pace back, who can off the bench and provide a spark.

Bradshaw moved some piles down the stretch last year. And Ward has never been an every down back.

I'm sorry, but Ward has never shown he's an 'every down back'. I believe this is the longest he's gone without injury and it's in a backup role. :knockonwood:

Granted Bradshaw hasn't shown he's an every down back either, but in his case he hasn't had the opportunity. He's also only 22 to Ward's 28. That ratio is much more important than weight most of the time.

Bradshaw also had the longest rushing td of '07 with fewer touches.

Bradshaw is smaller on... but he's deceptively strong and has great balance. He reminds me a LOT of Dave Meggett.

Look no further than the Super Bowl when he dragged Ty Warren eight yards to see how strong the little guy is.

They have to resign Jacobs. I believe the team and his agent are still in talks so it looks good that he will be resigned. As for Ward, if they sign him to a one year contract again, that would be great but if he manages to stay healthy and have a good year, I don't see him sticking around. I think Bradshaw might be the best back out of any of these guys and he is only 22. Even if he has to ride the pine for another year, I am okay with that.

How frustrating must it be for defenses when we have that 4 wide on 3rd or 4th down? You haveHixon, young but has made some plays, Plax, who is the big play can catch anything threown guy, Smith who has become maybe the most important receiver on the team and Toomer, MR. Depenable. You really can;'t pick one or 2 guys out like most offenses and say "this is who we have to watch out for". Every cover man on the field has to stick to his man. And for all the stuff said about Eli's accuracy, when he needs to make a throw, more often than not it is money.

They have to resign Jacobs. I believe the team and his agent are still in talks so it looks good that he will be resigned. As for Ward, if they sign him to a one year contract again, that would be great but if he manages to stay healthy and have a good year, I don't see him sticking around. I think Bradshaw might be the best back out of any of these guys and he is only 22. Even if he has to ride the pine for another year, I am okay with that.

Not necessarily, if Jacobs decides his worth more then were willing to pay he will be wearing a different jersey next year. Thats the only thing I don't like is that he is playing so well just making his stock go up and up....plus getting interest from other teams.

Not necessarily, if Jacobs decides his worth more then were willing to pay he will be wearing a different jersey next year. Thats the only thing I don't like is that he is playing so well just making his stock go up and up....plus getting interest from other teams.

We'll sign him before the year is out, he wants to get paid for sure, but I really think most every guy on this team enjoys being a Giant and will take any competative offer the Giants make to them. Obviously they are not going to play for well under market value, but O don't think most of the starters would bolt if the Giants offered somthing within reason.

I also think Jacobs is vital and must be resigned, and I'm on board with the crowd somewhat comfortable with the idea of Ward bolting if he doesn't accept out offer. Like Nestea said, Bradshaw can do everything Ward can do, he is a fighter, if jacobs had Bradshaws fight he'd be a 2000 yard back, even with splitting carries.

Oh I hope Jacobs does the right thing too and stays a Giant, but he's playing to get paid and I guarantee you he wants to have a nice pay check every week. It's the way of the NFL now a days..less about team loyalty then money, but thats another topic. I think Jacob will resign with us and I'm sure Jerry will get something done...I'm just saying don't be surprised if you hear Jacob's agent accepting other offers from teams.

But maybe I'm being optimistic in saying that Reese will get both Ward and Jacobs signed...I mean Bradshaw is going to ride the pine for atleast another year or two before we start given him more carries.