SportsWrath

Why using Eli's Completion Percentage to try to say how bad he is isn't a good idea

flyinryan

Ok, we know that Eli's Completion percentage was 52.78%. Now look at Trent Dilfer's Completion percentage. It's 59.75, that almost 7 full points above Eli's, but that doesn't mean much in terms of who had the better season. Ok, Dilfer had a higher completion percentage but he threw 11 tds and 12 ints compared to Eli's 24 tds and 17 ints, so who did better?

Now look at David Carr, his completion pecentage was 60.52%. I guess we should pray for Eli to be traded for David Carr right? Carr completed 256 passes and he threw for 2488 yards, that's 9.71 yards per completion compared to Eli's 12.79 (294 completions, 3762 yards). Not to mention Carr threw 14 tds and 11 ints (+3) compared to Eli's 24 and 17 (+7) so who really did better this year?

Let's move on to Michael Vick. His completion percentage was 55.29%, which is also better than Eli's. Vick had 15 tds and 13 ints which means his difference is +2 compared to Eli's +7. So I guess you would want Vick over Manning right?

Kyle Boller's completion percentage was 58.36% while Anthony Wright's completion percentage was 61.65%. So I guess you would prefer those two and their combined 17 tds and 21 ints (11 tds 12 ints for Boller and 6 tds 9 ints for Wright) instead of Eli's 24 tds and 17 ints right?

Some QB's throw dinks and dunks and that really inflates their completion percentage, for example I was watching Carr in one game and he must have thrown 10 passes consecutively that were 4-8 yard comeback routes. I sure felt like he threw a lot of those. Eli Manning's completion percentage does need to go up no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have a productive season. As I said earlier, completion percentage is a misleading stat. Passing yards and a QB's quarterback rating are as well.

Guest Floyd The Barber

how about just using your eyeball to see how bad he played the second half of 2005...i dont care what stats say...stats do not relay the intangiables...

how about just using your eyeball to see how bad he played the second half of 2005...i dont care what stats say...stats do not relay the intangiables...

Funny you say "stats do not relay the intangiables" yet you and the rest of "fags" constantly bash Eli and bring up his 52% completion percentage.

Guest Lockhart
Ok, we know that Eli's Completion percentage was 52.78%. Now look at Trent Dilfer's Completion percentage. It's 59.75, that almost 7 full points above Eli's, but that doesn't mean much in terms of who had the better season. Ok, Dilfer had a higher completion percentage but he threw 11 tds and 12 ints compared to Eli's 24 tds and 17 ints, so who did better?

Now look at David Carr, his completion pecentage was 60.52%. I guess we should pray for Eli to be traded for David Carr right? Carr completed 256 passes and he threw for 2488 yards, that's 9.71 yards per completion compared to Eli's 12.79 (294 completions, 3762 yards). Not to mention Carr threw 14 tds and 11 ints (+3) compared to Eli's 24 and 17 (+7) so who really did better this year?

Let's move on to Michael Vick. His completion percentage was 55.29%, which is also better than Eli's. Vick had 15 tds and 13 ints which means his difference is +2 compared to Eli's +7. So I guess you would want Vick over Manning right?

Kyle Boller's completion percentage was 58.36% while Anthony Wright's completion percentage was 61.65%. So I guess you would prefer those two and their combined 17 tds and 21 ints (11 tds 12 ints for Boller and 6 tds 9 ints for Wright) instead of Eli's 24 tds and 17 ints right?

Some QB's throw dinks and dunks and that really inflates their completion percentage, for example I was watching Carr in one game and he must have thrown 10 passes consecutively that were 4-8 yard comeback routes. I sure felt like he threw a lot of those. Eli Manning's completion percentage does need to go up no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have a productive season. As I said earlier, completion percentage is a misleading stat. Passing yards and a QB's quarterback rating are as well.

O f the NFL QBs that started more than 5 games last season Eli ranked 31st in completion percentage - 31st of of 32 means you suck - he was even behind Boller and Harrington and they are both busts.

It's quite common for rookie and lesser experienced QB's to have low completion percentages. Watch Philip Rivers this season. He completed 70% of his passes his senior year and averaged something like 67% through 4 years of college but he won't come close to matching those numbers this year in his first role as a starter.

Guest Lockhart

Let me show you how bad is is:

NFC leaders:

NFC Leaders %Pass Completion

(14 Att/Game)

Rank Name Team Games Pct Comp Att

1 Marc Bulger STL 8 66.9 192 287

2 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 16 65.5 294 449

3 Kurt Warner ARI 10 64.5 242 375

4 Brad Johnson MIN 15 62.6 184 294

5 Brett Favre GB 16 61.3 372 607

6 Chris Simms TB 11 61 191 313

7 Josh McCown ARI 9 60.4 163 270

8 Jake Delhomme CAR 16 60.2 262 435

9 Drew Bledsoe DAL 16 60.1 300 499

10 Donovan McNabb PHI 9 59.1 211 357

11 Mark Brunell WAS 16 57.7 262 454

12 Joey Harrington DET 12 57 188 330

13 Aaron Brooks NO 13 55.7 240 431

14 Michael Vick ATL 15 55.3 214 387

15 Eli Manning NYG 16 52.8 294 557

16 Kyle Orton CHI 15 51.6 190 368

AFC

Rank Name Team Games Pct Comp Att

1 Carson Palmer CIN 16 67.8 345 509

2 Kelly Holcomb BUF 10 67.4 155 230

3 Peyton Manning IND 16 67.3 305 453

4 Drew Brees SD 16 64.6 323 500

5 Tom Brady NE 16 63 334 530

6 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 12 62.7 168 268

7 Trent Green KC 16 62.5 317 507

8 Anthony Wright BAL 9 61.7 164 266

9 Steve McNair TEN 14 61.3 292 476

10 Jake Plummer DEN 16 60.7 277 456

11 David Carr HOU 16 60.5 256 423

12 Trent Dilfer CLE 11 59.8 199 333

13 Kyle Boller BAL 9 58.4 171 293

14 Byron Leftwich JAC 11 57.9 175 302

15 Brooks Bollinger NYJ 11 56.4 150 266

16 Kerry Collins OAK 15 53.5 302 565

17 Gus Frerotte MIA 16 52 257 494

18 J.P. Losman BUF 9 49.6 113 228

All the other QBS near Eli, other than Vick (and we know he can't pass) all got benched or cut.

Eli's completion percentage is low due to him throwing the ball away to avoid sacks. Mind you He did that a lot. Please find a hobby that doesn't involve posting the same bullshit over and over again everyday. It's really fuckin annoying.

Guest Lockhart
It's also worth noting the large disparity of attempts Eli had. Only 2 other QB's listed threw the ball more.

Like I said, accuracy will come with experience. Be patient.

that's the only reason he had 24 TDs - in fact Eli was horrible in 2005 and his 52% is testament to how bad it was. Like I said ALL the other QBs that are near him in percentage were either benched or cut, with Michael Vick being the only exceptionand he never could pass. If Eli repeats these stats again he will, at the very least, be benched and at his salary level probably released.

O f the NFL QBs that started more than 5 games last season Eli ranked 31st in completion percentage - 31st of of 32 means you suck - he was even behind Boller and Harrington and they are both busts.

We also had a lot of drops this past season especially between Shockey and Burress. Remember that end zone pass Eli threw to Tim Carter? Absolutely perfect and Carter dropped it.

Guest Carbo
We also had a lot of drops this past season especially between Shockey and Burress. Remember that end zone pass Eli threw to Tim Carter? Absolutely perfect and Carter dropped it.
OK. That's one. Let's say Manning's completion percentage is now 52.9 Does that change anything?

Guest Lockhart
OK. That's one. Let's say Manning's completion percentage is now 52.9 Does that change anything?

True but not that many - Eli's pct., even adjusted up to 55% still is awful, and that of many EX-NFL QBs.

You also forgot the mass amount off balls Eli throws away....Iv never seen a QB throw the ball away more then Eli....Oh and for those that will say "he didnt throw that many away he is just that inaccurate" Ever notice that 3-4 times a game he throws the ball and theres nobody around for about 20-30 yards....Thats throwing the ball away not bad passes :TU: ..You can tell because he doesnt react as if it was a bad pass :TU:

Here's "420's" autobiography:

confessions_of_a_federal_dick.jpg

So I wrote this myself about myself? Think again. Maybe you wanted to say biography w/out the auto? That would make more sense and might actually be funny. But you failed. Sorry try again.

Let me show you how bad is is:

NFC leaders:

AFC

All the other QBS near Eli, other than Vick (and we know he can't pass) all got benched or cut.

Here is a guy you think should be in the HOF

'79 - 50.6%

'80 - 48%

'81 - 54%

'82 - Strike :confused: I was three give me a break

'83 - 53.8%

In his second Season Phil completed 4.78% less of his passes then Eli...We all know Phil was a bust

So in his 5th season Your HOF QB Phil Simms had only completed 1% more of his passes the Eli

Guest Lockhart
Here is a guy you think should be in the HOF

'79 - 50.6%

'80 - 48%

'81 - 54%

'82 - Strike :confused: I was three give me a break

'83 - 53.8%

In his second Season Phil completed 4.78% less of his passes then Eli...We all know Phil was a bust

So in his 5th season Your HOF QB Phil Simms had only completed 1% more of his passes the Eli

Yes, and Simms was the good player on a bad offense while Eli was the bad player on a good offense - big difference.

Guest Lockhart

All the QBs you listecd suck - all of them lost their job or got cut except for Vick, who everyone knew can't pass but even he did better than Eli. YOu have convinced me even more now that Boy Blunder must go - he is another Dave Brown.

Guest Lockhart
You're happy cause you got excited by seeing the word "Dick." typical of lockhart, I mean carbo, being a member of the FAG 4 and all... :doh:

You see how I changed character in the above thread to make one wonder if I was a little light in the loafers.