SportsWrath

pittsburgh is favored by 3?

Herc

why wouldn't they be favored? they are at home, they are 5-1...the dog thinks this is going to be quite a game, but if you are either a giant fan or a steeler fan, neither one can feel overly confident that they are walking out with a win...the steelers have had a slightly tougher road to get to 5-1 and are playing at home - that gives them an edge (and as was pointed out earlier in the thread, 3 points are given to the home team automatically...). If you believe that going into this game these teams aren't anything but even at this point, then you are possibly not seeing things objectively...

How do you think your Jets are going to do this Sunday?

you're gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me that the steelers are better than the giants, dog? come on, you watch the games...

yeah the jacksonville win was impressive and that's about it, wouldn't necessarily say that that makes their road to 5-1 harder than the giants' though. they are ranked slightly better than the giants on D and the giants blow them out of the water on offense. and for two 5-1 teams (one of which is in a WAY easier division) i do think that looking at las tyear's performance of two teams whose rosters aren't all that different from last year would come into play.

the giants aren't necessarily your average road team either. i wonder how many times they were dogs last year just because they were on the road...

you're gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me that the steelers are better than the giants, dog? come on, you watch the games...

yeah the jacksonville win was impressive and that's about it, wouldn't necessarily say that that makes their road to 5-1 harder than the giants' though. they are ranked slightly better than the giants on D and the giants blow them out of the water on offense. and for two 5-1 teams (one of which is in a WAY easier division) i do think that looking at las tyear's performance of two teams whose rosters aren't all that different from last year would come into play.

the giants aren't necessarily your average road team either. i wonder how many times they were dogs last year just because they were on the road...

your first question can just as easily be asked of you - your going to say with a straight face at this time that the giants are better? the dog isn't saying that - but you have to look at these teams as being an even match, and home field is going to get the automatic 3 points (they don't factor in that the Giants won however many straight last year on the road...it just doesn't matter right now)...

team rankings don't tell the whole story...it's a stretch to say the giants offense blows them out of the water - manning has been mediocre in 3 out of the 6 games they have played. the steelers have a pretty solid run game as well, and that takes into consideration the fact that it has been done with a patchwork set of backs...ward and holmes, should he play, are pretty formidable at the wide out positions...again, the dog isn't saying the steelers are the better team, but if you are asking for justification for them being 3 point favorites, well there you go...

this is like the weekly rankings that everyone here gets all tied up in - oddly enough, now that the giants are ranked in the top 2, everyone here is saying how fair the rankings are, when a few weeks ago everyone was crying about it being a farce formulated by experts that no nothing...also similar to the whole the refs only call penalities on the giants...it's these constant complaints that make a fan base seem whiny...

this is like the weekly rankings that everyone here gets all tied up in - oddly enough, now that the giants are ranked in the top 2, everyone here is saying how fair the rankings are, when a few weeks ago everyone was crying about it being a farce formulated by experts that no nothing...also similar to the whole the refs only call penalities on the giants...it's these constant complaints that make a fan base seem whiny...

so, is the fan base of the team you root for whiny as well? or are they big bullies who picked on poor widdle wiener because of his ridiculous 3rd person narratives? you can't judge giants fans unless you show your team colors...until you do, you're just an ass. even after you do, you're an ass.

Nice spelling.

so, is the fan base of the team you root for whiny as well? or are they big bullies who picked on poor widdle wiener because of his ridiculous 3rd person narratives? you can't judge giants fans unless you show your team colors...until you do, you're just an ass. even after you do, you're an ass.

most fan bases have an element of whininess...but the dog is just saying, there are a number of odd and extreme cases that float around consistently...the dog's favorite was how one individual on the old boards tried to say that the mafia paid off the officials in the 49ers playoff game...really - stick around the game threads on Sundays - inevitably on he first penalty called against the giants, there are the "here we go - the officials and the nfl are conspiring again" comments...it does have an element of whininess to it...

most fan bases have an element of whininess...but the dog is just saying, there are a number of odd and extreme cases that float around consistently...the dog's favorite was how one individual on the old boards tried to say that the mafia paid off the officials in the 49ers playoff game...really - stick around the game threads on Sundays - inevitably on he first penalty called against the giants, there are the "here we go - the officials and the nfl are conspiring again" comments...it does have an element of whininess to it...

Uh..oh...I agree with the Italian.

Quick..someone check the earths core..it might explode.

nice back pedal (or dog paddle).

dog, i can't say i blame you for lumping us all in together, but i could give two shits about any of those power rankings--not that i expect you to search all the 'whiny' rankings threads, but if you did you'd see that i dont participate in them. however, you can't say that last year's results have no bearing on the week 7 betting lines. i can't guarentee it, but i'm fairly sure that if we lost to the bucs in the first round we'd be a bigger underdog than we are right now.

seriously, do you honeslty think the steelers are on the giants level? be honest

dog, i can't say i blame you for lumping us all in together, but i could give two shits about any of those power rankings--not that i expect you to search all the 'whiny' rankings threads, but if you did you'd see that i dont participate in them. however, you can't say that last year's results have no bearing on the week 7 betting lines. i can't guarentee it, but i'm fairly sure that if we lost to the bucs in the first round we'd be a bigger underdog than we are right now.

seriously, do you honeslty think the steelers are on the giants level? be honest

Why is that so difficult to fathom? as the dog said, these teams appear very even on paper...it will be interesting...

[/b]

I respect your opinions as well, Nas. But you got it all wrong this time. I would argue that you are being less than objective in your response, especially by bringing up the Cowboys/Rams game in this thread. This thread has nothing to do with the Cowboys.

This thread was started by Giants fans who appear to be shocked that a very good Steelers team, playing at home, is actually favored by 3 points. I am pointing out some objective reasons as why that could be, namely the fact that they are finding a way to get it done with a 3rd string RB (by the way, fast Willie may play after all) and their QB is playing more efficiently (despite the fact that his line is worse). Moreover, thus far, that are playing better against common opponents.

It's an objective response to a bias-thread. Seriously, whining that the Steelers are favored by three (not you specificially) is a new-low by the NFL's whiniest fan-base. I never said the Steelers would win by 40 or even win at all. But they do deserve the 3 points, probably more, and they are more than capable of making the Cleveland game look like a picnic...

I don't care if they're favored by 3. Quite frankly, I would be worried if they weren't.. being that they're at home and have seen our type of defense when they played the Eagles. I think Eli will shine the same why he tends to rise up in big games... I think our D will have a hard time getting to big Ben because the Steelers will employ the same schemes the Browns did. All in all.. as long as we don't stink up the joint, I'll be ok with the outcome of the game.

The way I see it, this is our first real test of the season... and this where we can prove we belong in the top teams of the NFL or fall from grace...

Or maybe it's not a joke. Maybe, just maybe, the Steelers are a better football team than the Giants. :doh:

While it wasn't impressive, they did manage to steal a victory from that powerhouse football team in Cleveland.

And they didn't need overtime to take care of the Bengals.

And they have been working with their 3rd string RB.

And they're Superbowl winning QB does have more TD's and less INT's than Little Manning.

In fact, his passer rating is better than Little Manning. Though, that says very little in light of the fact that 14 other QBs can say the same thing, including the likes of Phillip Rivers, Kyle Orton, Jeff Garcia, Chadd Pennington with all of his recieving weapons and, no surprise here, Tony Romo... :o

Maybe, just maybe, the Steelers will make that Monday night game in Cleveland look like a walk in the park... :chair:

Nope.

Oh and who gives a fuck about passer ratings. ;)

i do now- if it weren't for some timely injuries, they would've whooped us.

i do now- if it weren't for some timely injuries, they would've whooped us.

:unsure:

We physically dominated them. Only the scoreboard showed it was a close game.

I understand that matters most, but you can look back afterwards and see how we controlled the whole game minus 2 plays.

:unsure:

We physically dominated them. Only the scoreboard showed it was a close game.

I understand that matters most, but you can look back afterwards and see how we controlled the whole game minus 2 plays.

if dominating between the 20's counted, fassel would still be our coach. they lost their best safty #25, and their long snapper, not to mention santonio holmes. plus they had a lot of dumb penalties. i'd say they played us straight up.

hi nesta, missed your opinionated, uninformed ass :P

if dominating between the 20's counted, fassel would still be our coach. they lost their best safty #25, and their long snapper, not to mention santonio holmes. plus they had a lot of dumb penalties. i'd say they played us straight up.

Definitely should have been a more lopsided game if the offense could get into the end zone. What we were all screaming for is what won the game though a PA toss to the big guy.

As far as penalties go though, there were at least 3 penalties that were called against the Giants that were dumb penalties simply because they should never have been called.

What's up blu?

2 big mistakes by our defense= their only points in the game.

That's playing us straight up? They were damn lucky our offense wasn't clicking. And they were damn lucky to get 14 points.

Carry on with your over critical ass. :P

I still can't believe that Ryan Clark turned out to be a very decent professional football

player. I recall the Giants having him for a few years too.