SportsWrath

And the circus begins in KC

so-cal dub

Gonzalez told FoxSports.com’s Jay Glazer that he was under the impression a third-round pick would have been good enough, but Chiefs President Carl Peterson increased the asking price.

“I’m shocked,” Gonzalez told Glazer. “It didn’t make sense not to do this deal. It’s winding down for me and this team is rebuilding. If they said from the get-go, ‘No, we’re not going to trade you,’ that would’ve made more sense.

The Chiefs, reportedly, wanted no worse than a second- and fifth-round pick, which is what the New Orleans Saints sent the New York Giants for 28-year-old tight end Jeremy Shockey.

“Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end,” said Gonzalez, the NFL’s career leader among tight ends with 841 catches

:rolleyes:

I don't think he's worth more than a 3rd, but there's a good chance come draft time that he's worth more to them then. The chiefs might own the draft that day with all the guys they are trying to get rid of.

The Chiefs lost nothing by not trading them, and they didn't pull a desperate move, I can't blame them. If we had to take the Shockey trade around draft time instead of after, that second rounder would have been worth more to us then next year, because the Saints are going to be further down the board this year.

They should have given the Chiefs a 3rd round pick and called it a day. They already have two second rounders for next season, and they could always trade both 5's to move up into the 4th.
I wonder if the underlying reason that this trade wasn't made is money. Does anyone know how much Gonzo is paid under his present contract?

Wow, when the player himself tells you he's not worth what you're asking, something's wrong. :LMAO:

At least you know the guy doesn't come with ego issues.

heh maybe, but was he saying that when he signed that extension? NOW he finally realizes they are rebuilding after he got paid? everyone knew they were going to suck when he resigned with them. im sure he would think he's worth a 2nd pick if he weren't desperately trying to get traded

heh maybe, but was he saying that when he signed that extension? NOW he finally realizes they are rebuilding after he got paid? everyone knew they were going to suck when he resigned with them. im sure he would think he's worth a 2nd pick if he weren't desperately trying to get traded

Oh well, it's water under the bridge now.

Maybe we make a move for him during the off season.

They should have given the Chiefs a 3rd round pick and called it a day. They already have two second rounders for next season, and they could always trade both 5's to move up into the 4th.

I think the Giants were ready to give a 3rd rounder.. the problem is KC raised their asking price.

Dunno. Maybe he underestimated Herm Edward's ability to drive a team into the ground...

The Packers reportedly offered a 3rd and they got turned down after Carl Peterson changed his mind and went up to a 2nd . Gonzo said he would of played for them as well and said he planned to play 3 more seasons. It's a shame for TG that they couldn't get this done.