SportsWrath

Cowboys traded for Roy Williams

so-cal dub

My guess is Jones thinks he can win it all this year and he's betting the house in the process.

I honestly don't think they are "betting the house." Really, they can afford to trade the picks they did for Williams. They're biggest problem going forward will be there headcoach...

The cowturds won't make it to the super bowl so they will have a pick before the last. Now, with what they have, they can get a qb that isn't a fumbler. Goodbye, Homo Romo!!!

Right...take a look back at what he did to Cleveland...You should worry about your own color-blind QB. He keeps giving games away, you'll be 8-8. In another week or two, the Giants will stop playing Pop Warner teams. Than things will get real interesting...

I honestly don't think they are "betting the house." Really, they can afford to trade the picks they did for Williams. They're biggest problem going forward will be there headcoach...

Actually head coach should be the least of their worries... Garrett is on their payroll and they like him.

What I meant by betting the house is the cowboys gave up a lot for Roy Williams... Of course I happened to believe Roy is one of the best receivers in the league.. Personally I think he's better than TO, Ocho, and Plax... Not to mention he doesn't have baggage. Is the price too high? Some said we paid too much for Eli.. so I won't go down that road.

Can the cowboys keep their current roster and remain under the salary cap? The skins seem to do it year and year out... so I don't know.

The Cowboys are a better team today than they were yesterday.. that's for sure.. no one can dispute that. It seems to me they're not interested in developing players and are viewing 2008 as their year.. only time can tell.

its not al davis football...they have neen putting a bandaid on the WR position since Irvin got hurt...Williams is not the best # 1 in the league but he is a legit # 1 WR. He will make a bigger impact than anything they would have drafted next season, and is insurance in case TO has a meltdown. If TO does not, they will be nearly impossible to stop. Like Cleveland, they will not need a punter... :o

yea that punter thing is pretty clever. look, if you think it's a good move, it's your team. i have a feeling you're simultaneously on the cowboys board saying "how can we be so stupid?" when pinky simpson comes back he's going to need 3 footballs to keep everyone happy.

Right...take a look back at what he did to Cleveland...You should worry about your own color-blind QB. He keeps giving games away, you'll be 8-8. In another week or two, the Giants will stop playing Pop Warner teams. Than things will get real interesting...
Hey stupid, don't you realize that Eli doesn't give games away. Did you forget that he was the MVP in the Super Bowl because of his performance? The HOMO couldn't get there to even try to be the MVP. BTW, what is your opinion regarding having criminals for players. I'm talking about that fool that Jones signed and was just suspended by the Commissioner. Your team just loves to have newspaper headlines regarding players who can't abide by either law or team rules.

He has something you guys don't have...no, besides that. A win against Washington this year.

I guess a WR is a good idea for you guys--you'll need all the points you can get with that defense.

yea that punter thing is pretty clever. look, if you think it's a good move, it's your team. i have a feeling you're simultaneously on the cowboys board saying "how can we be so stupid?" when pinky simpson comes back he's going to need 3 footballs to keep everyone happy.

:LMAO: Guess who's the brain then?

romo_simpson_010708_22-thumb.jpg

"Hey Brain, what are we doing this season?"

"The same thing we do every season...TRY TO WIN A PLAYOFF GAME!"

What I meant by betting the house is the cowboys gave up a lot for Roy Williams... Of course I happened to believe Roy is one of the best receivers in the league.. Personally I think he's better than TO, Ocho, and Plax... Not to mention he doesn't have baggage. Is the price too high? Some said we paid too much for Eli.. so I won't go down that road.

He's getting constantly out-played by a second-year WR.

That move was huge. He is worth a 1st round pick and they have multiple third rounders next year.

Have fun defending it. Even with Brad Johnson...

Who's backing up Johnson Egg?....cause no way his piano on his back ass survives the next three games if they protect for him like they did the spry Romo.

The over/under on when he getting his shin snapped is the 3rd quarter of the Buc's game.

C. Wagon

The matchup that this adds to the Cowboys worries me tbh. As for what they gave up- their 2009 1st, 3rd and 6th round picks for Roy and Detroit's 7th? WOW is all I can say. That's a shit load to give up. Kudos to Detroit on making the move. Roy more than likely wouldn't have re-signed with them after this season and they got a ton for him. It's about time they started making good decisions and I'm not surprised that this happened in the post Millen era.

Well it took until week 6 and 1 loss for BadEgg to get you all riled up by declaring us dead and 8-8 to come ... good times good times.

Anyway, I cannot wait until the parameters of the contract extension come out and he is making more guaranteed money than TO, boy oh boy will I have my popcorn ready for that car crash.

Who's backing up Johnson Egg?....cause no way his piano on his back ass survives the next three games if they protect for him like they did the spry Romo.

The over/under on when he getting his shin snapped is the 3rd quarter of the Buc's game.

C. Wagon

Exactly, Johnson isn't going to have the time to throw to anybody.

Bad egg... why do you disappear for weeks at a time when things aren't going good and then come here when something good happens to you guys (not even a win, but a trade!! ha) and run your mouth? If your gunna be a snake when things are down here, atleast have the balls to show up when you know you'll get served your own medicine. Your a joke dude

Bad egg... why do you disappear for weeks at a time when things aren't going good and then come here when something good happens to you guys (not even a win, but a trade!! ha) and run your mouth? If your gunna be a snake when things are down here, atleast have the balls to show up when you know you'll get served your own medicine. Your a joke dude

The reason he showed up is because we finally lost.. it just so happened the trade was there too.

The reason he showed up is because we finally lost.. it just so happened the trade was there too.

Give me some credit. I posted before the trade materialized and arguably on the darkest weekend in recent memory for Cowboys fans. I wasn't going to and wasn't planning on posting just because the Giants lost. But to the Browns...And no punts...I just couldn't help myself... ;)

they should have TRADED for a punter...that makes sense...and no team is going to trade a quality corner at this point...

besides, when Romo returns, I just don't see them punting much anymore.

let's not forget, the Browns just proved that you don't need one... :o

But, they were punting WITH Homo. :huh:

WOW

From rotoworld.com

Cowboys agreed with Roy Williams on a five-year, $45 million extension. More than $20 million is guaranteed, according to Chris Mortensen.

Williams is rewarded with a top-five receiver deal despite topping 850 yards once in his career. His work ethic has also been questioned and it's debatable how well his similar attributes will mesh with Terrell Owens. Jerry Jones had to get this deal done after giving up so much for Williams and at least Tony Romo has a replacement for T.O. once Owens declines. Williams' short-term value rises in Dallas, and his long-term value skyrockets. Oct. 15 - 10:29 am et

Source: ESPN.com

The matchup that this adds to the Cowboys worries me tbh. As for what they gave up- their 2009 1st, 3rd and 6th round picks for Roy and Detroit's 7th? WOW is all I can say. That's a shit load to give up. Kudos to Detroit on making the move. Roy more than likely wouldn't have re-signed with them after this season and they got a ton for him. It's about time they started making good decisions and I'm not surprised that this happened in the post Millen era.

the dog does have to agree, as this many picks is never really "good" management in the dog's opinion (see the past manning trade debates)...that being said, the addition of williams is a smart move on a number of levels:

1. the message to the team is that they are still expected to win now despite the injuries/issues they are having (giving up the future picks says that they feel this team can and should win it all with what they have, and they are not concerned with adding for the future).

2. You have taken a high quality player that was disgruntled on a team going nowehere and given him new life on a team that contend, which often translates into better production by that player.

3. You never know when Owens' skills will start to deteriorate in the next year or two, and mentally he could go at any moment, so you have locked up a strong number 1 receiver for the future.

4. You know that your team is struggling on defense (particularly with injuries in the secondary) and special teams, so you better do something to ensure that you can outscore any team at any given moment.

5. With Romo out, you have a strictly pocket passer that functions best in making quick reads and getting rid of the ball - by adding williams, schematically you can shift the offensive mindset to this style of play.

Did they give up too much? the dog thinks so, but much like manning, if they go on to win it all with a prolific offense, the argument will be made that it was the best trade they could have made...

the dog does have to agree, as this many picks is never really "good" management in the dog's opinion (see the past manning trade debates)...that being said, the addition of williams is a smart move on a number of levels:

1. the message to the team is that they are still expected to win now despite the injuries/issues they are having (giving up the future picks says that they feel this team can and should win it all with what they have, and they are not concerned with adding for the future).

2. You have taken a high quality player that was disgruntled on a team going nowehere and given him new life on a team that contend, which often translates into better production by that player.

3. You never know when Owens' skills will start to deteriorate in the next year or two, and mentally he could go at any moment, so you have locked up a strong number 1 receiver for the future.

4. You know that your team is struggling on defense (particularly with injuries in the secondary) and special teams, so you better do something to ensure that you can outscore any team at any given moment.

5. With Romo out, you have a strictly pocket passer that functions best in making quick reads and getting rid of the ball - by adding williams, schematically you can shift the offensive mindset to this style of play.

Did they give up too much? the dog thinks so, but much like manning, if they go on to win it all with a prolific offense, the argument will be made that it was the best trade they could have made...

Thats ridiculous on many levels. If youre getting burned on defense, common sense says you add to your defense. I dont see how this helps them. With T.O. not getting all the looks, players like Austin have stepped up. They needed defensive help, and they got another egotistical WR.

Thats ridiculous on many levels. If youre getting burned on defense, common sense says you add to your defense. I dont see how this helps them. With T.O. not getting all the looks, players like Austin have stepped up. They needed defensive help, and they got another egotistical WR.

Common sense is that you add to your defense. Okay, Einstein. Who was going to give them a shut down corner back?

Answer: No one. Teams do not trade shut down corners (unless they have issues -- see DeAngelo Hall). They may loose them in FA but, in general, they are not anxious to part with them. Also, the Cowboys have two rookie DBs they were praised for picking up in last years draft. It's time for them to step up.

So Austin would have stepped it up? You are so sure of this. Very interesting. If he is that good maybe they should trade him to get that # 1 pick back. He has potential, but he is not there yet.

As far as giving up too many picks, I have to disagree with both you and the Dog. The Cowboys have 9 draft choices next year. How many more do they need? They glaring weakness in this past draft was corners, rbs and wrs. They addressed 2 of 3. Next year, they would have had to address WR.

So who do you draft? Let's see (Charles Rodgers, Mike Williams, Sincore Moss, Robert Meahem, Limus Sweed, Jerry Porter, Reggie Brown, Freddie Mitchell, James Hardy, Chad Jackson, Dwayne Jarrett, Jabar Gaffney, Reggie Williams...) These are WRs that I have named in less than 1 minute who had some high expectations but are either busts or fell woefully short of expectations. The jury is obviously still out on Hardy and Sweed as they are rookies, but neither has developed as fast as they had hoped at the start of this season.

The point is the Cowboys got a known commodity that will be there long after TO retires whom they will not have to wait 3 years to develope leaving Witten, Romo, Barber, Crayton, and Felix waiting while they are in their prime. Roy can step right in...

Had Jones traded for Ocho-cinco yesterday I would agree that it could be classified as a desperate "Al Davis" move. But, as far as egos/trouble goes, there is no evidence that Roy is anything like TO, Ocho, Brandon Marshall, or even Plexico... :o

Common sense is that you add to your defense. Okay, Einstein. Who was going to give them a shut down corner back?

Answer: No one. Teams do not trade shut down corners (unless they have issues -- see DeAngelo Hall). They may loose them in FA but, in general, they are not anxious to part with them. Also, the Cowboys have two rookie DBs they were praised for picking up in last years draft. It's time for them to step up.

that's exactly it...a shut down corner continues to be a hot commodity that no team, even those that are extremely weak, are giving up...the dog can't argue with the move - it was the best option for the team at this time relative to what they would be able to bring in. the dog doesn't like all of the draft picks, but if they had that many, and are a team that can compete with what they have now for the next few seasons, then you do what you have to do...

as for common sense, the dog would caution you to recall who you are dealing with...the court jester didn't earn that title demonstrating strong common sense...

that's exactly it...a shut down corner continues to be a hot commodity that no team, even those that are extremely weak, are giving up...the dog can't argue with the move - it was the best option for the team at this time relative to what they would be able to bring in. the dog doesn't like all of the draft picks, but if they had that many, and are a team that can compete with what they have now for the next few seasons, then you do what you have to do...

as for common sense, the dog would caution you to recall who you are dealing with...the court jester didn't earn that title demonstrating strong common sense...

I'll just reply once, seeing as Im only talking to one person.

FUCK YOU. :)