SportsWrath

Ward Question...

BurnThePhilFans

Just wondering why we only resigned Ward for a 1 year deal going into this season? At first I thought it was because they were grooming Bradshaw to take over (because he did so well in the playoffs). But, Bradshaw has hardly touched the field and if Ward puts up 700+ yards he might be asking for a nice price tag if we want to resign him. Just curious why we didn't lock him up for a longer deal?

Great problem to have with Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ward, Ware and Droughns. Although at this point I wouldn't say Droughns is starting caliber, but he is a good short yardage guy, special teamer, jack of all trades work horse that is very valuable to the team. I think the team will eventually go with Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware, and let Ward go to greener pastures. But Bradshaw still has to mature and the team needs to know that they can count on him to not be a bonehead.

I'm thinking we eventually let Ware go and see how Bradshaw pans out in the coming years. Ward has shown he is the clear backup to Jacobs and the change of pace back, not to mention in my mind Ward is the most complete back on this team. Droughns has shown he is a good special teams player along with a short yardage back but his future with the team has yet to be seen.

I think we keep Jacobs and Ward to be our main running backs, Bradshaw we will continue to develop and see what he does in coming years and let go either or both Droughns and Ware based on who is more valuable to the team.

This is a highly unrealistic situation but one I would hope happens:

Ward recognizes that he is on a winning team. He understands that full-time starting RBs shelf life isn't long. Rather than sign a big deal with a losing team he signs a moderate deal, keeps his body from getting beat to hell on a losing team, and has a longer and more successful career.

Pipe dream because money will always come first but I can hope.

I'm thinking we eventually let Ware go and see how Bradshaw pans out in the coming years. Ward has shown he is the clear backup to Jacobs and the change of pace back, not to mention in my mind Ward is the most complete back on this team. Droughns has shown he is a good special teams player along with a short yardage back but his future with the team has yet to be seen.

I think we keep Jacobs and Ward to be our main running backs, Bradshaw we will continue to develop and see what he does in coming years and let go either or both Droughns and Ware based on who is more valuable to the team.

Both Jacobs and Ward are too injury prone to be kept. If I was running this team I would keep Bradshaw and Ware and let Ward go. He's a good back for sure but it's just too much of a gamble to have a backup that is going to get injured. With Ward it's just a matter of when he will get injured.

Both Jacobs and Ward are too injury prone to be kept. If I was running this team I would keep Bradshaw and Ware and let Ward go. He's a good back for sure but it's just too much of a gamble to have a backup that is going to get injured. With Ward it's just a matter of when he will get injured.

Thank god you are not :doh:

Jacobs got hurt last year a few times maybe we should let him go as well

Didn't we already have this convo ?

I don't think the Giants front office goes by that logic...we kept a broken tight end for 2 years too long...

Thank god you are not :doh:

Jacobs got hurt last year a few times maybe we should let him go as well

Didn't we already have this convo?

Ok, then who would you keep? Both Jacobs and Ward are in a contract year and only making $1 mill a year each. There is no way they will both be satisfied with this money. As TrashTalker pointed out the best option for the Giants is to trade or let Ward go as Bradshaw, who is under contract until 2011, and Ware are more than capable backups. Also having 2 injury prone RBs isn't the best idea and I highly doubt both will play the full season.