SportsWrath

Allow me to be the first one

xxi-xxv

It over. I will be at Shea Friday and plan on getting kicked out as I intend to insult everyone associated with this organization. Hey Wilpons, how about winning some meaningful September games?

I think I actually root for them to prove yself wrong, I really might hate them more than any other team.

true, but he is a proven commodity, Church is not. Although listening to Met fans you would think he is PaulO'Neil

The only thing that David Wright has proven is you can't count on his bat when the game is on the line. He strikes out way to often in those spots. Really, a hard ground ball probably gets through the infield. A routine fly to center. You name it, CONTACT probably gets that run home. Him striking out changed the whole inning. Even if he walks, then Howry has to pitch to Delgado or Beltran. Instead, they both are walked. Church at least made contact, and swung at a BALL IN THE STRIKE ZONE! Church did not have a good game, but that AB by Wright was as rotten as they come. Especially after he had a 3-0 count. This one is squarely on Wright. I also didn't agree with Ayala coming in the 2nd inning. He is a one inning pitcher. If he gets through one, then you feel good and give the opposition a different look. You can't keep throwing Ayala out there because his stuff is too hittable and major league hitters adjust to his pitches too easily.

Here's hoping Maine can close some games out for us.

I blame it on the pitching just as much as the offense. These types of losses are the ones you remember...

fucking mets

You are right, I am not going to put it on Ayala's shoulders though. I knew the goose was cooked after that ninth. It was nice that Perez came through with a great pitching performance. The offense gave him a 5-1 lead and he cannot hold it. Now I gave Wright hell but a lot of the blame goes to Perez in this one. I hope he takes his inconsistent performance somewhere else next year. I thought he was a big game pitcher.

The only thing that David Wright has proven is you can't count on his bat when the game is on the line. He strikes out way to often in those spots. Really, a hard ground ball probably gets through the infield. A routine fly to center. You name it, CONTACT probably gets that run home. Him striking out changed the whole inning. Even if he walks, then Howry has to pitch to Delgado or Beltran. Instead, they both are walked. Church at least made contact, and swung at a BALL IN THE STRIKE ZONE! Church did not have a good game, but that AB by Wright was as rotten as they come. Especially after he had a 3-0 count. This one is squarely on Wright. I also didn't agree with Ayala coming in the 2nd inning. He is a one inning pitcher. If he gets through one, then you feel good and give the opposition a different look. You can't keep throwing Ayala out there because his stuff is too hittable and major league hitters adjust to his pitches too easily.

Here's hoping Maine can close some games out for us.

Yes I will ignore the fact that he had a huge hit the night before.

Bottom line is this, Wright is the #3 hitter and comes up a lot with men on, this year he has struggled in those spots, but all in all despite a horrid night, there is nothing to not like about Wright. He does not have a pinpoint weakness, like say being useless vs a lefty.

Church bailed out a lot of asses tonight. Especially Aguayo.

How in the hell does that man have a job at ANY level? I wouldn't want this guy being the 3b coach for my HS team.

how does he not relay the proper sign to Murphy when the entire SNY audience saw it. Agreed, Aguayo blows.

You guys do know whom Luis Aguyo played for right? :ph34r:

Congrats to the Phillies and to Ggirl. Your team won because they wanted it more and came through like they wanted it.

Well said Dragon, we all have talked the talk but the Phillies walked the walk. Congrats to Dayne, Tuef and Ggirl and all other Phillies fans out there, not the organization though because I still hate them for leaving the area.

Now its official, I can congratulate them.

Lidge was the difference no question about it. To go 41 of 41 or whatever it was for him against the patheticness that has been the 2008 Mets bullpen was the clear cur difference between these two teams.

Wish we had gotten Lidge <_< , must say I thought he was done. Now he can exercise his post season demons.

Me thinks when you got Pete Rose was your best trade in franchise history. :)

Not at the moment. :P

Thank you all for your congrats. Being there to see them win the title yesterday was a dream come true, and a bet I banked on in February that paid off in spades! :rock:

Congrats Ggirl. Enjoy watching your Phils in the postseason. I have to admit, I think watching a Cubs/Phils series is much more enjoyable than watching the Mets in the same series. In fact, watching grass grow is more enjoyable than watching the Mets in any game.

You took a lot of abuse from some Mets fans here, and your team made it and ours choked yet again. If I ever said anything that came off like abrasive smack talk to you (don't think I did), then I am humbled, and your Phightin's have shut me up just like the rest of the fans of this choke job of a franchise.

To xxi: You were right on most of the season. From way back to the beginning of the season when you had no faith in this team. But I will say this... the Mets were one game away from proving you wrong. There were too many heartbreaking losses this year to count. Too many times we only needed one more out to get the victory and didn't... It's those losses that burn so bad now.

And one more thing... After the bullpen, the second biggest reason we missed the playoffs this year is David Wright choking in big spots. It was very clear over the latter quarter of the season that when it comes down to tight spots, he totally and completely gets thrown off his game. He is a big spot strikeout machine. He is a phenomenal hitter when the pressure is off, and I wouldn't want him playing on another team, but here's hoping he can learn to relax in those spots next year.

As for Church, his numbers this year extrapolated over 550 AB's would amount to 19 HRs and 77 RBI's. Not great, but since so many of his ABs he was trying to play when not fully recovered, I expect that a completely healthy Church over a full season can come close to 30 homers and exceed 90 RBI's without much difficulty. I think he's a nice young ballplayer and think it's a little unfair to judge him on this year based on what he's had to overcome this season. Prior to his injury, he was one of the only players keeping us afloat in the division, and he was arguably the most dangerous hitter in the lineup at that time.

I'm excited for next year as long as Minaya can fix this bullpen. I do think we should consider Maine as the closer and see how it goes. I'm not sure his arm can last a full workload as a starter. I know you disagree with me on this, and perhaps you are right. Looking forward to seeing a great rotation next year of Santana, Pelfrey, Niese, and we'll see with Ollie and Maine.

Goodbye Pedro and thanks for the magic and respectability you brought to this franchise. We would never even be in any race had you not signed with us. You made us excited to watch the Mets again.

Good riddance Wagner. You had a penchant for running your mouth indiscriminantly and unnecessarily. Besides all the blown saves, you had your moments, and I wish you well on your recovery, but I'm happy you're not going to be back as a Met. Take your drama elsewhere.

Hello Parnell. Can't wait to see what you can do next year.

Your move, Omar.

Congrats Ggirl. Enjoy watching your Phils in the postseason. I have to admit, I think watching a Cubs/Phils series is much more enjoyable than watching the Mets in the same series. In fact, watching grass grow is more enjoyable than watching the Mets in any game.

You took a lot of abuse from some Mets fans here, and your team made it and ours choked yet again. If I ever said anything that came off like abrasive smack talk to you (don't think I did), then I am humbled, and your Phightin's have shut me up just like the rest of the fans of this choke job of a franchise.

To xxi: You were right on most of the season. From way back to the beginning of the season when you had no faith in this team. But I will say this... the Mets were one game away from proving you wrong. There were too many heartbreaking losses this year to count. Too many times we only needed one more out to get the victory and didn't... It's those losses that burn so bad now.

And one more thing... After the bullpen, the second biggest reason we missed the playoffs this year is David Wright choking in big spots. It was very clear over the latter quarter of the season that when it comes down to tight spots, he totally and completely gets thrown off his game. He is a big spot strikeout machine. He is a phenomenal hitter when the pressure is off, and I wouldn't want him playing on another team, but here's hoping he can learn to relax in those spots next year.

As for Church, his numbers this year extrapolated over 550 AB's would amount to 19 HRs and 77 RBI's. Not great, but since so many of his ABs he was trying to play when not fully recovered, I expect that a completely healthy Church over a full season can come close to 30 homers and exceed 90 RBI's without much difficulty. I think he's a nice young ballplayer and think it's a little unfair to judge him on this year based on what he's had to overcome this season. Prior to his injury, he was one of the only players keeping us afloat in the division, and he was arguably the most dangerous hitter in the lineup at that time.

I'm excited for next year as long as Minaya can fix this bullpen. I do think we should consider Maine as the closer and see how it goes. I'm not sure his arm can last a full workload as a starter. I know you disagree with me on this, and perhaps you are right. Looking forward to seeing a great rotation next year of Santana, Pelfrey, Niese, and we'll see with Ollie and Maine.

Goodbye Pedro and thanks for the magic and respectability you brought to this franchise. We would never even be in any race had you not signed with us. You made us excited to watch the Mets again.

Good riddance Wagner. You had a penchant for running your mouth indiscriminantly and unnecessarily. Besides all the blown saves, you had your moments, and I wish you well on your recovery, but I'm happy you're not going to be back as a Met. Take your drama elsewhere.

Hello Parnell. Can't wait to see what you can do next year.

Your move, Omar.

Trust me, I felt that they would turn it around when they did and I thought that the team could still overcome their awful bullpen. They could not. I always thought the Phillies were better because of their pen.

As for Wright, lets face it, had the bullpen blown let say half the saves they did no one would be complaining about his numbers in the clutch the last week as they would have been irelevant. There were plenty big hits I can remember, hit off KROD to take 2 of 3 in Anaheim in the middle of the WIllie mess, homer off the Padres to a walk off win, big hit last week in game 2 to take lead on Cubs. I am hearing the same things about Wright this year that I heard in 2006 about Beltran after the Cards series, ironically one that was also ruined by the bullpen. You do not hitt 300, hit 30 homers, score 100 runs, finish 2nd in the league in hits and tie a club record with 124 rbis by accident. Yes he struggled in big spots the last 2 weeks, but really it never should have gotten to that. I will and will continue to take David Wright on my team anyday. Time for him to step up and be the leader if nothing else.

As for Church, I heard on WFAN today (Francessa show) that he did not like NY, this team(interesting) or anything about being with the Mets. If this is the case it showed. He looked like a player that wants out and IMO if this is the case do not let the doo hit you in the head on the way out. I still contend, a glorified 4th outfielder who has never been able to stay healthy.

Aside from the problems the pen created the Mets need more production from the corners on a consistent basis, as good as the big 4 were with their production it was offset by the lack of production from the corner spot, particularly LF. Yes Tatis, Evans and later Murphy gave it a jolt, but there was a point in time in JUNE where the Mets had 1 homer fro the LF position. ONE. MOre production from these spots on a conisistent basis will lessen the load on players like Wright and maybe take the spotlight off a bit and have some other guys contribute runs.

THis team needs work. THey were poorly put together in 08. With a new pen and some added additions there is no reason to think this team cannot be better in 08.

I look at this season differently as yes they blew it down the stretch, but do not discount those wasted losses under WIllie in April and May and early June. THe team was a .500 team for almost 3 months and finished 16 games over .500. Better play early on could have been the difference. I will say this season was doomed about a year ago to this day when they did not fire Willie and make the change then.

Thank you jim.

It's been a good season for me. I have been to so many great games this year, that I began to feel a little spoiled. I was there for most of the good, but none better than the marathon game against the Mets. That was a game I will never forget. The NLE clincher on Saturday was more than fabulous. :rock:

Taking abuse from you guys was not so bad, mainly because in the end, my team came out on top. :) None of the smack was THAT bad and frankly....I can take it. Being a Phillies fan here (where I live) is easy but being a GIANTS fan...not so. If I am bold enough a fan to wear a GIANTS jersey to Lincoln Financial Field, for an Eagles game...trust me, I can take anything. ;)

GO PHILS!!

Trust me, I felt that they would turn it around when they did and I thought that the team could still overcome their awful bullpen. They could not. I always thought the Phillies were better because of their pen.

As for Wright, lets face it, had the bullpen blown let say half the saves they did no one would be complaining about his numbers in the clutch the last week as they would have been irelevant. There were plenty big hits I can remember, hit off KROD to take 2 of 3 in Anaheim in the middle of the WIllie mess, homer off the Padres to a walk off win, big hit last week in game 2 to take lead on Cubs. I am hearing the same things about Wright this year that I heard in 2006 about Beltran after the Cards series, ironically one that was also ruined by the bullpen. You do not hitt 300, hit 30 homers, score 100 runs, finish 2nd in the league in hits and tie a club record with 124 rbis by accident. Yes he struggled in big spots the last 2 weeks, but really it never should have gotten to that. I will and will continue to take David Wright on my team anyday. Time for him to step up and be the leader if nothing else.

As for Church, I heard on WFAN today (Francessa show) that he did not like NY, this team(interesting) or anything about being with the Mets. If this is the case it showed. He looked like a player that wants out and IMO if this is the case do not let the doo hit you in the head on the way out. I still contend, a glorified 4th outfielder who has never been able to stay healthy.

Aside from the problems the pen created the Mets need more production from the corners on a consistent basis, as good as the big 4 were with their production it was offset by the lack of production from the corner spot, particularly LF. Yes Tatis, Evans and later Murphy gave it a jolt, but there was a point in time in JUNE where the Mets had 1 homer fro the LF position. ONE. MOre production from these spots on a conisistent basis will lessen the load on players like Wright and maybe take the spotlight off a bit and have some other guys contribute runs.

THis team needs work. THey were poorly put together in 08. With a new pen and some added additions there is no reason to think this team cannot be better in 08.

I look at this season differently as yes they blew it down the stretch, but do not discount those wasted losses under WIllie in April and May and early June. THe team was a .500 team for almost 3 months and finished 16 games over .500. Better play early on could have been the difference. I will say this season was doomed about a year ago to this day when they did not fire Willie and make the change then.

Trust me, I would not get rid of Wright for the world, either. But I'm not going to hide from the fact that it was much longer than the last two weeks where you could visibly see his approach in big spots late in the game were being affected by the moment. He did have some big hits, of course he did. But in those spots, they were few and far between. He struck out way too often, most of the time by swinging at bad pitches. He HAS to get his mind right in those spots. Some of those swings looked ridiculous. You could see the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has to perform as if it's 0-0 in the first inning in those spots. Either that or just get really mad at the pitcher and swing at the first fastball he sees.

I'd rather him be over-agressive than the panic job he showed a lot of times in ABs in those spots. All in all, he had a good year, and he is one of my favorite players, but when he gets his shit straightened out mentally, David Wright will hit .325 with 35 HRs and at least 130 RBI's. There's no reason for him not to with Reyes and probably Murphy hitting in front of him next year. I believe David could compete for the batting title.

Trust me, I would not get rid of Wright for the world, either. But I'm not going to hide from the fact that it was much longer than the last two weeks where you could visibly see his approach in big spots late in the game were being affected by the moment. He did have some big hits, of course he did. But in those spots, they were few and far between. He struck out way too often, most of the time by swinging at bad pitches. He HAS to get his mind right in those spots. Some of those swings looked ridiculous. You could see the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has to perform as if it's 0-0 in the first inning in those spots. Either that or just get really mad at the pitcher and swing at the first fastball he sees.

I'd rather him be over-agressive than the panic job he showed a lot of times in ABs in those spots. All in all, he had a good year, and he is one of my favorite players, but when he gets his shit straightened out mentally, David Wright will hit .325 with 35 HRs and at least 130 RBI's. There's no reason for him not to with Reyes and probably Murphy hitting in front of him next year. I believe David could compete for the batting title.

Well he did hit 304 with 33 and a club record 124 so 35 and 130 is not all that much better.

Its this simple with David Wright and I will defend this to the end. If this team had a closer in 2006 that did not spit it in the big spot, a closer who did not spit it in the big spot in 2007 and of course this awful pen of 2008 David Wright could very well be seen as the face of a WS winner and 3 time defending NL east champs. So many of these big spots were a guy trying to do too much and getting ZERO help around him. Same things they say about him they were saying about Beltran 2 years ago, the same Beltran who as of Aug 15th this year was batting around .155 with RISP. If David Wright had Brad Lidge or Mariano Rivera or some decent closer or one who just did not spit it in the big spot all this talk would not matter.

Another problem with this team that NO ONE wants to focus on, except Joel Shermans article in the POST today is that the Mets after their big 4 are very weak. Met fans love to overrate guys, but the fact remains that outside the big 4 an arguement can be made that none of the other 4 starters on the field in the others spots should even be starters. Not only do I agree with this assesment I applaud Sherman for pointing it out. Many of these guys are nice players, really good guys to have on your team, but I am not sure if ANY team could survive the like of Ryan Church being a middle of the order run producer, or Fernando Tatis, or Damion Easley or a collection of rookies up from AA just learning the game. As good as the Mets roster is 1-10 its equally as weak 11-24. I think another good solid run producer in a corner OF spot along with a good top of the order situational guy would help this lineup immensely. I think Murphy can be one of those guys.

Now Its time to plan long term by Joel Sherman

Equally as weak? It's not about the names, it's about the production. And Murphy produced! Over .400 OBP, over .320 BA? Church definitely produced prior to the concussion. Tatis hit over .300 with good power. Sherman can say what he wants, but the other guys produced on this club. I'll agree with him to the extent that 2B is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Equally as weak? It's not about the names, it's about the production. And Murphy produced! Over .400 OBP, over .320 BA? Church definitely produced prior to the concussion. Tatis hit over .300 with good power. Sherman can say what he wants, but the other guys produced on this club. I'll agree with him to the extent that 2B is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Murphy had 100 AT BATS. O N E HUNDRED, hardly enough to make an long term entire season impact! 100 AT BATS. Very good at bats but 100. I never said Murphy did not produce, it was 100 at bats and at this point he is a very good prospect who deserves a spot in 2009.

Bottom line is this. Wise man once said, if a 270 hitter bats 320 in the first half of the season you can bet there are a ton of outs in that bat in the 2nd half. Same hold true when a 320 hitter bats 270, he has a ton of hits left in that bat. Thats how I see Ryan Church, a career 270 hitter. Simple as that, did nothing to disprove that, give me all the pretty first half stats, as they all say HE IS WHAT HE IS!

No one said its about the names , its about overall production and what you can count on. Fernando Tatis, Damion Easley, Endy Chavez, Nick Evans all either very good bench players or guys too young yet to produce the way a contending team needs them to be. As usual Met fans overrating their own.

Bottom line is this, you cannot go into a season depending on major contributions from Fernando Tatis, Damion Easley or IMO Ryan Church. tatis and easley are bench players, good ones at that and Church is what he is.

Do you realize we did not get a home run from the LF position until after June 1st? So if you do not want to tell me that that is not equally as weak as the numbers put up by our big four then I suggest the Wilpons hire you.

Its this simple, this team needs a more dependable middle of the order corner outfielder. They have not had one since the departure of nady. I could say you COULD and this is a huge COULD get by with a RF platoon of Church/Tatis, but tha is stretching it. We need a big time middle of the order LFer. Hopefully either Murphy can become that guy or we trade for one and insert Murphyt elsewhere.