SportsWrath

My three thoughts

Lubeck

Let's not forget two of Cinci's scores came off no-calls by the refs. I hate to be that guy, but the rushing TD was only possible because of the massive hole left after Robbins was clearly held from behind. Chad's 'incomplete' was a frickin' fumble too. This would have been a mauling if not for those two.

2 observations i had was:

>there was a problem with containment of the QB- Palmer had a clear lane to throw or run when the Giants rushed 4 or 5. I suspect Pierce was not staying at home but it could have been someone else.

>ward may well be a better short yardage and goal line RB than jacobs. he hits the hole faster and reads his blocks quicker.

I know this is gonna sound redundant, but damn it, I'm sick and tired of the no holding calls, when there's BLATANT holding! :brooding: Ward had his jersey pulld big time on one play, and it was noticeable, as well a few otheres that werent called. I know people are gonna say theres holding all game, no big deal. But it is, esp when it blatantly stops a play from happening.

#2 Tuck was completely neutralized. (about a week ago, some analyst on YES suggested the Giants move Tuck around the line, saying he'd be more effective. It's worth a try.)

The guy on YES hasn't been paying attention, because Tuck has been all over the line. He's been moved around too much, IMO.

For example, on Chris Perry's long TD run, Kiwi and Tuck were on the right side of the DL while Tollefson and I couldn't tell which DT were on the left...you saw the end result, our best defensive players were non-factors by design.

Moving Tuck into the interior of the DL is fine when there are pass rushers on the outside who can stretch the OL a bit more, like last season. Tollefson and Wynn on the outside are blocked too easily one-on-one, but McDougle might have the talent to make it work once he can get up to speed. Until then though, Spags needs to keep guys where their strengths are.

edit: Treehugger jogged my memory, it was Robbins in on the Perry TD, and he was definitely held.

Let's not forget two of Cinci's scores came off no-calls by the refs. I hate to be that guy, but the rushing TD was only possible because of the massive hole left after Robbins was clearly held from behind. Chad's 'incomplete' was a frickin' fumble too. This would have been a mauling if not for those two.

True that....he caught the ball, tucked it in and then it pops out. A fumble plain and simple. A I thought someone put a chokehold on Robbins he was held so bad.

2 observations i had was:

>there was a problem with containment of the QB- Palmer had a clear lane to throw or run when the Giants rushed 4 or 5. I suspect Pierce was not staying at home but it could have been someone else.

>ward may well be a better short yardage and goal line RB than jacobs. he hits the hole faster and reads his blocks quicker.

Boy, I couldn't agree with you more.

One of the things I've never understood is why the QB doesn't run more often when the d-line blows past him as happened with Palmer a few times. When we settled for the first field goal, the entire defensive line of Cincinnati had blown through and past Eli. If Eli simply ran forward, it was an automatic touchdown. I was screaming at the TV for Eli to run across the goal line but he just stood there and finally threw the ball away and we settled for 3 points instead.

It happens so often (that the QB is left wide open to run when the o-line protects the QB beyond 3 seconds) that I can't believe it's not a planned play for an easy ten yards by the quarterback.

And you are dead right about Ward.....he reads the situation quicker and better than Jacobs and he sees holes as if he's watching everything in slo-mo. Ward is definitely impressing the shit outa me. Hell....even Droughns looked good yesterday on that return. Talk about a cache of good RB's. I've never seen a team with so many options at RB....and all of them are good options.

And you are dead right about Ward.....he reads the situation quicker and better than Jacobs and he sees holes as if he's watching everything in slo-mo. Ward is definitely impressing the shit outa me. Hell....even Droughns looked good yesterday on that return. Talk about a cache of good RB's. I've never seen a team with so many options at RB....and all of them are good options.

Hell yeah, Droughns did good. real good. His sp. teams play was key. Our RB's are deep as hell.

The main reason why it was a close game was because we were outcoached this time. Fortunately, our superior talent level won out. But mainly, Cincinatti outcoached us, especially offensively with concerns to Gilbride.

They had their moments, but their coaches really blew it at the end of the game. When they had time on the clock left to easily get in two shots at the end zone, but instead, they let the clock run down to a couple of seconds and then kicked a field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime. This...while sitting on a timeout left, is NOT good coaching. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I realized they weren't trying to win the game, but simply tie it.

You have to give Cincy credit because they played a very good game and they came well prepared. I think they would've won the game if they didn't let the clock run out and settle for a game tying field goal. That is a big time coaching mistake in my book.