SportsWrath

Observation on the new Grabbing the Face mask rule

fringe

Tonight it looked like Westbrook's head was going to get yanked off.

I guess the rule was changed to try and dissuade touching the face mask at all and prevent serious injury. I think it may have the opposite effect.

If a defender found his hands inadvertently on a face mask last year, he'd know he may save 10 yards by letting go.

This year, he may say wtf, and give it a yank, get his money's worth.

I guess the rule was changed to try and dissuade touching the face mask at all and prevent serious injury. I think it may have the opposite effect.

If a defender found his hands inadvertently on a face mask last year, he'd know he may save 10 yards by letting go.

Did you see what happened to Jones- Drew on Sunday :o

Linda Blair

after the Warren Sapp bit it starts at the 1:41 mark

If players start doing that they will find themselves getting big fines and if they keep it up suspended. Your theory doesn't make sense when all they have to do is not grab and they get no penalty.

yes and if people would just obey all the laws we wouldn't need policemen. peace and love, lubey.

As a former football player in high school, let me tell you that the game moved so fast THEN that when I'd grab a facemask, I had absolutely NO time whatsoever to decide how hard I was gonna pull on it... and none of those guys were pro. It's an accident when you do it most of the time.

I'm sure some are on purpose, but when it's inadvertant, trust me, you don' have time to decide how hard you're gonna pull.

That was crazy last night, his head got yanked around several times.

What about the horse collar? I saw it at least twice really blatantly and not get the calls. Both teams did it at least once.

How about DeSean Jackson having a Plaxico Burress-esque 'rookie moment'?

Like what would possibly possess someone to throw the ball down before they cross the goalline? That was just silly.

yes and if people would just obey all the laws we wouldn't need policemen. peace and love, lubey.

I saw just as many plays so far where a player had his hand on the face mask (incidental 5 yard penalty last year) and let their hand slide off rather than grab.

Like what would possibly possess someone to throw the ball down before they cross the goalline? That was just silly.

Dumb, but worse than Plax imo cause wasn't that Plax's rookie year? In colege you're down the play is over, so I can "kinda" understand that,. What DeSean did was just flat stupid.

Dumb, but worse than Plax imo cause wasn't that Plax's rookie year? In colege you're down the play is over, so I can "kinda" understand that,. What DeSean did was just flat stupid.

It's Jackson's rookie year too, but Plax's was kind of stupid, IMO too, because it's not like he never watched an NFL game...not to mention practiced with an NFL team for weeks prior to that...

Jackson's was stupider because he wasn't even contacted, but luckily for him, the Cowboys were too stupid to recover his fumble.

That was crazy last night, his head got yanked around several times.

What about the horse collar? I saw it at least twice really blatantly and not get the calls. Both teams did it at least once.

They're not calling horse-collars unless they actively pull the player down backwards by the pads. They can grab there as long as they player isn't bent backwards during the tackle. That's how I understand it.

I had him on my FF team....that dumb motherfucker cost me a game.

They're not calling horse-collars unless they actively pull the player down backwards by the pads. They can grab there as long as they player isn't bent backwards during the tackle. That's how I understand it.

I'm almost positive McNabb was going down backwards, not sure if he escaped or got sacked but he was going backwards.

It's Jackson's rookie year too, but Plax's was kind of stupid, IMO too, because it's not like he never watched an NFL game...not to mention practiced with an NFL team for weeks prior to that...

Jackson's was stupider because he wasn't even contacted, but luckily for him, the Cowboys were too stupid to recover his fumble.

Yeah I know it's his rookie year, what I meant was that play is a fumble on any level, with Plax's play (and I'm not trying to excuse what he did), sometimes instincts take over, or how you've been doing it for years at college. I just see it as a little more understandable, but not forgivable.

I think the new rule is way overdone. Some of the calls I've seen were incidental contact. If a defensive player is reaching out to tackle, and the tackle-ee lowers his shoulders and gets his facemask glanced by the defender, that's not really a dirty play, now is it? I'm not by any means defending dirty, spin one's head around facemasking, but seriously, some of the 'new' calls are ridiculous. They're out there tackling, playing football......not Checkers.

Tree, you are close. But it is legal for the player to get bent backwards. The key here of what makes a horse collar tackle penalty is if the defender grabs INSIDE the back of the collar. You can't reach inside that collar area, grab the inside of the pads, and pull him down from behind. Players can be legally bent backwards, however, and those are the plays where people are assuming they are illegal tackles and should be flagged, but they are actually legal.

Tree, you are close. But it is legal for the player to get bent backwards. The key here of what makes a horse collar tackle penalty is if the defender grabs INSIDE the back of the collar. You can't reach inside that collar area, grab the inside of the pads, and pull him down from behind. Players can be legally bent backwards, however, and those are the plays where people are assuming they are illegal tackles and should be flagged, but they are actually legal.

I think we should contact Roy Williams for an exact explanation.

Yeah, I was assuming we all knew the hand position component of the rule. You can still grab there as long as you don't pull them backwards is how I understand it.

This year, he may say wtf, and give it a yank, get his money's worth.[/font]

that would be a real dick move. <_<