SportsWrath

MVP Talk...

Allstarjim

if david wright were batting 360 with 101 rbi in 4th place you'd be singing a whole different tune, jimmy boy. you are definitely a homer. but that's ok, just try not to be such a wordy one. ;)

No, I'm not a homer. I would have no problem saying when one of "my" players isn't deserving, as Wright is definitely not. By the way, Wright leads the team in RBI's, has 31 homer and almost a .300 BA, for a team .5 game out of first, and you won't hear a peep out me supporting him for MVP. He has not stepped up when the team has needed him in a pennant race. And I sure as hell would not support any player on the Mets for MVP if they were in fourth place... unless there were no other good candidates from postseason teams and there was a Mets player who truly stood out above his peers. If I was such a homer, I would say Delgado SHOULD be MVP. I'm not saying that. I would take Howard at this point or Manny Ramirez should win. My name is Jim, by the way.

No, I'm not a homer. I would have no problem saying when one of "my" players isn't deserving, as Wright is definitely not. By the way, Wright leads the team in RBI's, has 31 homer and almost a .300 BA, for a team .5 game out of first, and you won't hear a peep out me supporting him for MVP. He has not stepped up when the team has needed him in a pennant race. And I sure as hell would not support any player on the Mets for MVP if they were in fourth place... unless there were no other good candidates from postseason teams and there was a Mets player who truly stood out above his peers. If I was such a homer, I would say Delgado SHOULD be MVP. I'm not saying that. I would take Howard at this point or Manny Ramirez should win. My name is Jim, by the way.

my bad. homer jim :P

You do realize the fallacy of your argument, don't you? First of all, Delgado did have 14 HR's and 45 RBI in the first half, not exactly "too horrible". His BA wasn't the greatest, but to me BA is one of the most overrated stats in baseball. And by saying that Delgado isn't deserving because of a bad first half and then in the next breath saying that it's between Sabathia and Pujols in the next is what really gets stuck in my craw, considering the flack I've been getting over this thread. On one hand Delgado is disregarded for a bad first half, but Sabathia WASN'T EVEN IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE IN THE FIRST HALF. So you are considering Sabathia SOLELY for his contributions in the second half.

XXI, take a look at the Cardinals lineup, they are pretty good. I think the Mets are better, but not by much, and Pujols has BETTER protection with Ludwick hitting behind him than Delgado. Ludwick is a .290 hitter with just as many HR's and RBI's as Pujols, btw. To me, people fall in love with the combination of Pujols batting average and power, which is easy to do, but as was mentioned, it's not the "Best Stats Award". Pujols is the best hitter in baseball. But the Cards are a 4th place team. Maybe I can vote for a Josh Hamilton on a team that is not making the playoffs, because the Rangers really would've been in last place without him, and his season has been so special and dominant, but I cannot vote for Pujols, while special, he hasn't shown great value this year because he's on a FOURTH place team. It's not that I don't think Pujols isn't a strong candidate. I do. But Delgado has been more valuable this year to the team's winning.

Think I'm just a homer? Well, a respected baseball man and Washington Nationals broadcaster, Don Sutton, said in his broadcast last night that Delgado deserves consideration and that without him, the Mets are probably a 3rd place team. That means not only behind the Phillies, but behind the Marlins as well. I agree with Sutton.

Lastly, Ggirl, I think you are not too far off with Howard. A few weeks ago I would've poo pooed Howard as an MVP candidate because of all of the K's (which are, as stated, unproductive outs). Btw, a guy can work a count before he hits into a productive out. The whole argument of a strikeout being a productive out if you see a lot of pitches is dumb. He has struck out way to much. But down the stretch, in a tight pennant race, Howard has come up HUGE, and has been the difference hitting game winning home runs (as he did tonight) in about half a dozen games just in the last few weeks. He is clearly leading his team right now, and if the Phillies do end up in the playoffs, it will largely be due to Howard's heroics. And that is my point. An MVP is first and foremost a guy who steps up and carries his team to the postseason. Delgado has clearly done that, Howard is doing that. Those guys have been big difference makers on their teams, and without either of them, the Marlins win the division.

A guy like Pujols or Hamilton should win the MVP award when there's no clear cut guy for a playoff contender that has been the difference maker for their team, especially in August and September. In the American League, I believe we have that scenario with Hamilton, and he should win the award. A case could've been made for Carlos Quentin before he got hurt and is missing all those games down the stretch, but I digress.

In the NL, I think it's between Sabathia, Delgado, Howard, and Manny. Manny has been so incredibly good in helping his team rise up to the top of the division it's ridiculous. I would only mark him down because he's only been doing it for a month and a half (although he has been the difference in that month and a half).

Since I posted this, Delgado has been getting more recognition has a viable MVP candidate, indicating that my post wasn't "dumb". But I will shout it to the mountain tops that Pujols, while awesome, hasn't been the most valuable.

No one is saying that delgado does not deserve some votes,he is just not the MVP.

And you are so wrong in thinking Pujols hits in any type of a lineup like Delgado does. Yes I am fully aware of Ludwicks stellar year. He also does not have a Wright a Beltran or a guy named Reyes in front of him getting on and scoring runs for him. No comparison to the Cards lineup. I believe it was you who said stats are what tells the story and Pujols stats are great all around. When you look at his SLG%, OB% and runs produced an arguement can be made(the 4th place team as you say albeit 6 games behind the Mets)they would be a 90 loss team without Pujols.

And Jim again, all due respect here in NY they have been talking about Delgado as an MVP candidate for over 3 weeks, its not like you are Columbus discovering America here bro. :P