SportsWrath

Giving a pass to Eli?

Allstarjim

We are aguing semantics here, someone defintion of "spectacular" and anothers of "solid" or whatever adjective you want to place on it. Here is the bottom line, if the great ones in the league go 60% comp, a near 100 QB rating and 6-1 TD to INTO ratio then ELI fell into that category in the playoffs. The Naysayers love to cite his stats, well there you have them, stats that most classify among the great ones.

We are aguing semantics here, someone defintion of "spectacular" and anothers of "solid" or whatever adjective you want to place on it. Here is the bottom line, if the great ones in the league go 60% comp, a near 100 QB rating and 6-1 TD to INTO ratio then ELI fell into that category in the playoffs. The Naysayers love to cite his stats, well there you have them, stats that most classify among the great ones.

the dog agrees that it is semantics...but truthfully, everyone wants to automatically place him among the elite QBs because had a stretch when he didn't make mistakes...and his numbers that you cite are strong numbers, but let's remember, 6 tds in 4 games is not spectacular by any stretch...what the numbers say is he didn't make mistakes...simply solid.

Yeah but to me, to call Eli's performance spectacular he would of had to have shown nothing for his entire time in the league. Like if he was absolute shit since his starting day and then only had some decent games from time to time but then somehow we got into the playoffs and played like he did, I would call it spectacular. Like if Ryan Leaf went to the SB in his second year and played like Eli did during the playoffs...I would call that spectacular.

Eli played great during the playoffs, stepped up to the level of play we all knew he could.

OK, I'll take great. And uh, Blue, would you fix your stuttering problem, please? :P

the dog agrees that it is semantics...but truthfully, everyone wants to automatically place him among the elite QBs because had a stretch when he didn't make mistakes...and his numbers that you cite are strong numbers, but let's remember, 6 tds in 4 games is not spectacular by any stretch...what the numbers say is he didn't make mistakes...simply solid.

6 Tds in 4 games translates to 24 Td's pro rated over a 16 game schedule. How many Qb's threw for 24 tds in an entire season in 2007? Lets also not forget in the 4 games we are looking at here there was not one poor defense he played against.

Maybe its me, but 6 tds in 4 games, against the leagues best defenses with no chance to have a stat padding game against he bottom feeders translates out well to me. I know that people just want to keep having these arguements about ELI and thats fine, but facts are facts.

Even to the people who hate Eli - There is no arguing the fact that he is a top 10 quarterback in the league. Any point you try to make is offset by that fact. Look at how many teams are stuck with the Jason Cambell's, Chad Pennington's, Kyle Orton's... to make the argument that Eli is not an above average quarterback is absurd. The guy has thrown 20 or more touchdowns in each of his 3 years as a full season starter (I don't think Collins ever threw 20 touchdowns in a year and he was our best qb before Eli in the last since we won our second ring.

I think it's really underrated how durable he is too. He does take a beating some games, but he never gets hurt.

Having a healthy QB isn't really a given, but with Eli it has been (knock on wood(.

the dog would be naive to say that this play wasn't spectacular, but to suggest that this play means that Manning was spectacular during the playoff run is also naive, don't you think? the fact is, he was solid over the stretch, not spectacular...again, the dog isn't taking anything away, he did what he needed to do to get the job done, but he is not spectacular, and any expectations beyond that are silly...

Actually manning was spectacular... you know how Plax played lights out against Green Bay? Who threw him those passes?

It's always nice to have a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning chucking td's all day long but we don't have that. Giants football is about running the ball and having a good defense to control the clock. Eli is not an elite qb IMO. Do we necessarily need him to be one though? Don't get me wrong I love Eli. I was ecstatic when we drafted him and I proudly wear his jersey on game day and didn't think all those near-picks were on him the other night

It's always nice to have a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning chucking td's all day long but we don't have that. Giants football is about running the ball and having a good defense to control the clock. Eli is not an elite qb IMO. Do we necessarily need him to be one though? Don't get me wrong I love Eli. I was ecstatic when we drafted him and I proudly wear his jersey on game day and didn't think all those near-picks were on him the other night

the dog agress 100%...he is a solid starting QB in the NFl that can get the job done...not spectacular, and nor was his individual efforts during their run a year ago.

the dog agress 100%...he is a solid starting QB in the NFl that can get the job done...not spectacular, and nor was his individual efforts during their run a year ago.

I also agree he is not an elite QB. But what he did in that playoff stretch last yr was amazing. Even if it was only playing mistake free football, he did it when the chips were stacked against him and when it mattered most. 6 TD's in 4 games were exactly what we needed to become champs, he accomplished that.