SportsWrath

Giving a pass to Eli?

Allstarjim

in fact, there was nothing spectacular about any of what you said here...the dog isn't taking away from what he did...but what he did was play solid, mistake free games...

Boy, are you in denial. So there was nothing spectacular about the Manning to David Tyree play in the SB? :)

Boy, are you in denial. So there was nothing spectacular about the Manning to David Tyree play in the SB? :)

the dog would be naive to say that this play wasn't spectacular, but to suggest that this play means that Manning was spectacular during the playoff run is also naive, don't you think? the fact is, he was solid over the stretch, not spectacular...again, the dog isn't taking anything away, he did what he needed to do to get the job done, but he is not spectacular, and any expectations beyond that are silly...

the dog would be naive to say that this play wasn't spectacular, but to suggest that this play means that Manning was spectacular during the playoff run is also naive, don't you think? the fact is, he was solid over the stretch, not spectacular...again, the dog isn't taking anything away, he did what he needed to do to get the job done, but he is not spectacular, and any expectations beyond that are silly...

No matter what, you have a long winded, twisty turny explanation for everything. :rolleyes: The man won a SB, in dramatic fashion I might add, that in itself, is spectacular.

No matter what, you have a long winded, twisty turny explanation for everything. :rolleyes: The man won a SB, in dramatic fashion I might add, that in itself, is spectacular.

true- it was an amazing win and run, but there is no denying that manning's performance over the stretch wass nothing more then solid...aside from one play, what did he do that was anything more then solid?

true- it was an amazing win and run, but there is no denying that manning's performance over the stretch wass nothing more then solid...aside from one play, what did he do that was anything more then solid?

He played mistake free football and became the leader we all knew he could be. When you're faced with as much criticism and trashtalking from the media and opponents as Eli was, and you stare that in the face unfazed and pull your act together in a fashion that leads your team to a SB Championship, even if his play was nothing more than "solid", thats pretty remarkable. look at the props Romo gets, and he buckled when faced with the same situations. If Eli was the equivalent of tom Brady or his big bro, and then came with nothing more than a "solid" performance, OK, he underachieved. But Eli was labeled a bust, and when it mattered most, he came through with a "solid" performance which led to a SB ring. Thats spectacular.

He played mistake free football and became the leader we all knew he could be. When you're faced with as much criticism and trashtalking from the media and opponents as Eli was, and you stare that in the face unfazed and pull your act together in a fashion that leads your team to a SB Championship, even if his play was nothing more than "solid", thats pretty remarkable. look at the props Romo gets, and he buckled when faced with the same situations. If Eli was the equivalent of tom Brady or his big bro, and then came with nothing more than a "solid" performance, OK, he underachieved. But Eli was labeled a bust, and when it mattered most, he came through with a "solid" performance which led to a SB ring. Thats spectacular.

ummmm, ok...the dog would argue that if your performance is solid, then it is solid...you would argue that if his performance was solid, then for him, that is spectacular, which means that you have lower expectations for him. interesting...

ummmm, ok...the dog would argue that if your performance is solid, then it is solid...you would argue that if his performance was solid, then for him, that is spectacular, which means that you have lower expectations for him. interesting...

Didn't everyone have low expectations for Eli?? I hate to admit it, but after the Minnesota game, I was ready to write him off as a bust. It didn't seem that he was living up to the hype aside from a few remarkable comebacks. To come through when it matters most is spectacular. When he was drafted, my expectations were high. Then he proceeded to play in ways that make you scratch your head. No way in the world I thought Eli could command the ship the way he did when it mattered most. But he did, and after all he'd been through, to come thru like that was pretty spectacular.

Didn't everyone have low expectations for Eli?? I hate to admit it, but after the Minnesota game, I was ready to write him off as a bust. It didn't seem that he was living up to the hype aside from a few remarkable comebacks. To come through when it matters most is spectacular. When he was drafted, my expectations were high. Then he proceeded to play in ways that make you scratch your head. No way in the world I thought Eli could command the ship the way he did when it mattered most. But he did, and after all he'd been through, to come thru like that was pretty spectacular.

so, if you believe that his playing solid football is spectacular, and so have lower expectations for Manning, then aren't you in essence agreeing with the dog's original point, which is that manning's performance the other night was on par for what manning is, and that higher expectations people have are really not reasonable? sounds like it, and so why are you debating with the dog?

I think solid is a bit of an understatement and spectacular is a bit of a stretch. His stats aren't jump off the page Peyton/Brady stats, but to play "solid" against the defenses he played against in the places he played in and on the stage he played, one could argue that that in itself is spectacular.

Tamps, Dallas, Green Bay, New England. All towards the top in team defense. All defeated in the biggest of stages.

No, his stats weren't spectacular, but his play when it mattered most was.

so, if you believe that his playing solid football is spectacular, and so have lower expectations for Manning, then aren't you in essence agreeing with the dog's original point, which is that manning's performance the other night was on par for what manning is, and that higher expectations people have are really not reasonable? sounds like it, and so why are you debating with the dog?

Good try dog. The Blue is suggesting nothing more than a player who is facing a ton of scrutiny, and had high expectations when coming into the league, then turns it on when it matters most displays spectacular abilities. His solid football is spectacular because he displayed the solid football when it mattered, unlike Romo the Homo.

Please dont keep trying to twist it in your favor, you know what the fuck I'm talking about. :brooding:

Did you watch the Packers game?

I think solid is a bit of an understatement and spectacular is a bit of a stretch. His stats aren't jump off the page Peyton/Brady stats, but to play "solid" against the defenses he played against in the places he played in and on the stage he played, one could argue that that in itself is spectacular.

Tamps, Dallas, Green Bay, New England. All towards the top in team defense. All defeated in the biggest of stages.

No, his stats weren't spectacular, but his play when it mattered most was.

the dog agrees that he improved his play when he had to, and that is respectable...but not spectatcular. he was solid on that stretch, but it was the defense that got them through round 1, round 2, and round 3...what manning did was not make the key mistakes that he is prone to do so giving other teams the opportunity to score...

the dog agrees that he improved his play when he had to, and that is respectable...but not spectatcular. he was solid on that stretch, but it was the defense that got them through round 1, round 2, and round 3...what manning did was not make the key mistakes that he is prone to do so giving other teams the opportunity to score...

You don't consider that at the very least, somewhat spectacular?? Romo couldnt do it, and I bet you consider him "Spectacular" :rolleyes:

Good try dog. The Blue is suggesting nothing more than a player who is facing a ton of scrutiny, and had high expectations when coming into the league, then turns it on when it matters most displays spectacular abilities. His solid football is spectacular because he displayed the solid football when it mattered, unlike Romo the Homo.

Please dont keep trying to twist it in your favor, you know what the fuck I'm talking about. :brooding:

that's not what you said...what you said is that he was solid, and for him, that was spectacular...the dog can have someone come by and read it back to you if you like...solid is not spectacular...solid is solid.

the dog could care less about romo, but do remember, two years ago manning was winless in the playoffs in two tries, had more time and experience as a starter, was a number 1 pick that cost 4 picks in all, and worse overall numbers as a starter then romo during the same stretch...the dog is just saying...

Did you watch the Packers game?

solid...albeit in horrid conditions...but the dog still can't say that was spectacular...perhaps we have different expectations of spectacular...if manning was spectacular over that stretch, then what exactly do you use to define brady, montana...etc?

I can point to a key moment in every single game and say without Eli we don't advance.

That 85 yard drive to seal the deal against Tampa was pure beauty. He led long, efficient drives that kept the D rested and kept the offense off the field.

After having one drive for a real life 35 minutes he went 70 yards to tie the game at halftime when dallas received to start the second half.

solid...albeit in horrid conditions...but the dog still can't say that was spectacular...perhaps we have different expectations of spectacular...if manning was spectacular over that stretch, then what exactly do you use to define brady, montana...etc?

Never said spectacular, but he was better than solid. He was very good. He was a few dropped passes away from a TD or two and 300 yards passing. In that weather against a defense, that's pretty amazing.

that's not what you said...what you said is that he was solid, and for him, that was spectacular...the dog can have someone come by and read it back to you if you like...solid is not spectacular...solid is solid.

the dog could care less about romo, but do remember, two years ago manning was winless in the playoffs in two tries, had more time and experience as a starter, was a number 1 pick that cost 4 picks in all, and worse overall numbers as a starter then romo during the same stretch...the dog is just saying...

Not talking about two years ago dog, the Blue is talking about the one SB run that just occurred. I'll say it again, playing solid after playing bad and doing it when it mattered is somewhat spectacular.

We've won 5 consecutive meaningful games going back to last year. So long as that continues, feel free to call Eli whatever your little heart desires. I only hope defensive coordinators feel the same way as Hotdog and Egg do--makes things all that much easier.

Personally, I'll take a win with Ryan Leaf over a loss with Joe Montana any day. And Eli may not be Montana, but he sure as hell isn't Leaf, either.

i guess successfully quarterbacks do well in the regular season botch fg holds for a win in playoff games and take vacations before losing to a huge underdog in their own home in the playoffs... dog and egg would take that guy any day over a guy who beat up on the number 1 pass defense, won in lambeau in -20 beat the boys (all of these away), beat the 18-0 patriots and only threw one interception in 4 games (where SMITH should have caught the ball)

I would, and do. It isnt spectacular in the sense that he put up huge #'s, but in a way that nobody expected. Fearless and mistake free.

I would call it great, to me spectacular is saved for something that was so against the odds that when you see it...it's spectacular. Us beating the Pats was spectacular, the Tyree play was spectacular and our D performance was spectacular. I would define Eli's playoff performance and SB performance as...great, he played like the Eli we all know he can play like. He played like the great Eli he can be, which we have seen from time to time.

I would go as far to say as our playoff run plus the road warrior 11 wins on the road, spectacular.

I would, and do. It isnt spectacular in the sense that he put up huge #'s, but in a way that nobody expected. Fearless and mistake free.

Yeah but to me, to call Eli's performance spectacular he would of had to have shown nothing for his entire time in the league. Like if he was absolute shit since his starting day and then only had some decent games from time to time but then somehow we got into the playoffs and played like he did, I would call it spectacular. Like if Ryan Leaf went to the SB in his second year and played like Eli did during the playoffs...I would call that spectacular.

Eli played great during the playoffs, stepped up to the level of play we all knew he could.

Even to the people who hate Eli - There is no arguing the fact that he is a top 10 quarterback in the league. Any point you try to make is offset by that fact. Look at how many teams are stuck with the Jason Cambell's, Chad Pennington's, Kyle Orton's... to make the argument that Eli is not an above average quarterback is absurd. The guy has thrown 20 or more touchdowns in each of his 3 years as a full season starter (I don't think Collins ever threw 20 touchdowns in a year and he was our best qb before Eli in the last since we won our second ring.