SportsWrath

Giving a pass to Eli?

Allstarjim

The criticism of Eli on here has been pretty light. This was not the Eli I expected (last night). Overall, I thought his play was pretty shitty. The Skins could've had at least 3 INT's, and he was missing some very easy throws. He was overthrowing open receivers, and threw 2 horrible screen passes to Jacobs, one was a 5 yard laser at his ankles. Eli, those are touch passes, bro, it's a good thing Peyton is there to help run that summer camp. Anyway, I'm not going to pile on, and he is the SuperBowl MVP and all, but last night he was not very good, and he needs to get his stuff together if we are really a playoff team.

I thought he played alright. If you actually look at those two passes to Toomer and Plax where they both went off the CBs hands....he audible into those plays. I mean the one to Toomer in the endzone he aubibled and then Toomer seemed to stop mid-route and ease up..I believe he even looked around like "WTF" and the Plax play was almost the exact same thing. Go back and look at them and you will see what I mean.

But I do agree that many of his touch pass plays were really shitty, I mean throwing the ball into the ground three or four times isnt a good sign. However it is the first game of the season, lets hope it improves.

The criticism of Eli on here has been pretty light. This was not the Eli I expected (last night). Overall, I thought his play was pretty shitty. The Skins could've had at least 3 INT's, and he was missing some very easy throws. He was overthrowing open receivers, and threw 2 horrible screen passes to Jacobs, one was a 5 yard laser at his ankles. Eli, those are touch passes, bro, it's a good thing Peyton is there to help run that summer camp. Anyway, I'm not going to pile on, and he is the SuperBowl MVP and all, but last night he was not very good, and he needs to get his stuff together if we are really a playoff team.

the dog has a difficult time understanding why everyone assumes there would be a dramatic difference in Eli Manning as a QB...the reality is, he was not spectacular during the run last post-season...he simply didn't make mistakes that he has a tendency to do. The dog still believes that last year's run had less to do with Eli Manning being a great QB, and more to do with a defensive coach and front 7 that dominated. Last night was what the dog expected - he is still about average as far as QB's in the NFL go...doesn't mean they can't win it all with him (obviously), but why the crazy expectations that he would have this elevated game is beyond me...

You have to credit the Skins D. They had him running around a lot and he just did not have enough time to make some throws. Nem made an observation about the O line. Maybe he is right but I think they need some time to get back to normal. Eli had a lot of time during the first 2-3 drives but had trouble the rest of the way. Again, you have to give the Skins some credit.

well we won so im not too quick to start with negativity, he could throw 50 picks a game and if we get the W i dont care.

and on the almost int near toomer, toomer stopped the inside route he was running, on the one by burress, burress wasnt looking back for the ball at all. cant put them all only on eli.

You have to credit the Skins D. They had him running around a lot and he just did not have enough time to make some throws. Nem made an observation about the O line. Maybe he is right but I think they need some time to get back to normal. Eli had a lot of time during the first 2-3 drives but had trouble the rest of the way. Again, you have to give the Skins some credit.

The Skins defensive backfield was banged up. Manning should have lit them up. Anyone of the top 5 QBs in this league would have. In light of the Giants outstanding defense, primarily their coach, I am thrilled as a Cowboys fan that Eli is the QB.

He played ok. In my opinion Gilbride called too many passing plays for how we we're running the ball. Eli has not had alot of work with Toomer prior to this game due to Toomer's preseason injury and this was the first time he was on the field with Burress. Also, there were some bad play calls by Gilbride that didn't put Eli in much of a position to succeed. One that catches my attention was the play called where Eli rolled out to his non-throwing side and had to throw across his body (leading to an interception) and a very low percentage play for success in Eli's seam pass to Darcy Johnson on second and short when they should have run the ball. Not to mention Eli faced a good deal of pressure all night.

Even last year it seems as if the entire offense looks different after the 3rd drive... They come out prepared and march down the field. Once the D makes adjustments the O cannot answer back. I think it is Gil, he just is not that great of an O-coord.... The team has enough talent to either A) Run people over or B) be tall and strong enogh to fight the ball away from CBs.

The INT was thrown as he was being heavily pressured. Bad toss and bad decision.

Toomer and Burress did not even go after the balls that were near INTs.

Throwing the ball at Jacobs feet was meant to throw the ball away, not try and get it to Jacobs.

Jacobs has mediocre to downright awful hands and dropped at least 2 if not more of those touch passes you are ripping Eli for.

Overall he played ok, but not great.

Oh and Gil definitely needs to reexamine is playcalling. 35 passes to 30 carries, 31 if you include Elis TD run. Jacobs was bowling people over, Ward was getting good gains....and Bradshaw doesn't even touch the ball the entire game minus the opening kickoff? :confused:

The INT was thrown as he was being heavily pressured. Bad toss and bad decision.

Toomer and Burress did not even go after the balls that were near INTs.

Throwing the ball at Jacobs feet was meant to throw the ball away, not try and get it to Jacobs.

Jacobs has mediocre to downright awful hands and dropped at least 2 if not more of those touch passes you are ripping Eli for.

Overall he played ok, but not great.

Eli was rolling to the left and had to throw across his body on the INT. It was not his fault but the play calling. By now, Gilbride should know that.

It's the first game of the year, these guys need to work more with Eli. Even when Burress was out, they looked like they were practicing all summer.

Oh and Gil definitely needs to reexamine is playcalling. 35 passes to 30 carries, 31 if you include Elis TD run. Jacobs was bowling people over, Ward was getting good gains....and Bradshaw doesn't even touch the ball the entire game minus the opening kickoff? :confused:

You gotta remember the only reason Bradshaw did play was because Ward was injured. In all honesty at this point I think Jacobs and Ward are going to be are one two punch. I believe Bradshaw will get some carries this season but until then I think its Jacobs and Ward.

You gotta remember the only reason Bradshaw did play was because Ward was injured. In all honesty at this point I think Jacobs and Ward are going to be are one two punch. I believe Bradshaw will get some carries this season but until then I think its Jacobs and Ward.

If that is the case there are going to be some very pissed off fantasy owners who naively bought into the media hype. That said he did lead the team in playoff rushing. Bradshaw should be getting SOME carries.

If that is the case there are going to be some very pissed off fantasy owners who naively bought into the media hype. That said he did lead the team in playoff rushing. Bradshaw should be getting SOME carries.

yes i agree- i was thinking that he may have been in the coughlin doghouse.

I would not expect to see him in a game the Gmen are leading 10-7. That is grind it out time, not slash to the outside time.

I think Bradshaw is like insurance to us, I mean Jacobs with his "I'm going to knock your head off" running style is more prone to injury and Ward is coming off an injury too. I think Bradshaw will get some carries and who knows maybe some games when Jacobs and Ward cant get it done on the ground Bradshaw will come in and see if he can get the ground game going. I knew this year with Ward coming back and us resigning him we will be the change of pace guy but when he needs a breather it will be time for Bradshaw.

For whatever reason ELI has never played well against the Redskins defense. Do not know why he just has not, going all the way back to his first starts in 2004.

With that being said, I was neither upset or thrilled with his performance. Toomer completely stopped on a route that was a TD(I know it was right in front of me) and had a few drops. IMO it was rustiness more than anything else. I found it interesting that the one throw he was completely in sync on was with a WR(Moss)whom he practiced and worked with the entire pre season with no missed time, unlike Plax, Smith and Toomer.

No reason to worry and maybe this is ELI bucking the trend of 05 06 and 07 where he gets off to great starts and fizzles out. Either way, I think the days of overeacting to a mediocre ELI performance are over.

Jesus Christ AllstarJim show some optimism will ya :P

The Skins defensive backfield was banged up. Manning should have lit them up. Anyone of the top 5 QBs in this league would have. In light of the Giants outstanding defense, primarily their coach, I am thrilled as a Cowboys fan that Eli is the QB.

Well thats just cause you are dumb. Eli has always played the cowpukes well.

I agree with the people who said we had no answer for the defensive adjustments. The first few drives, Eli was accurate and in control. He made some throws that were as good as any quarterback will throw (the Plax juggling catch) and he made some bad throws. If Toomer keeps running thats a TD.

All in all, I thought he played well, the one throw to Jacobs I thought was catchable, a little low and out front, but I think it was close enough to be caught.

the dog has a difficult time understanding why everyone assumes there would be a dramatic difference in Eli Manning as a QB...the reality is, he was not spectacular during the run last post-season...he simply didn't make mistakes that he has a tendency to do. The dog still believes that last year's run had less to do with Eli Manning being a great QB, and more to do with a defensive coach and front 7 that dominated. Last night was what the dog expected - he is still about average as far as QB's in the NFL go...doesn't mean they can't win it all with him (obviously), but why the crazy expectations that he would have this elevated game is beyond me...

shouldn't it be "beyond the dog"?

Why don't you wait and see what Romo the Homo does on Sunday before you are critical of the MVP of the last Super Bowl. The Homo never has gotten to a Super Bowl because: "HE SUCKS". Your comment is all that can be expected from an uneducated Cowturds fan and supporter .

Why don't you wait and see what Romo the Homo does on Sunday before you are critical of the MVP of the last Super Bowl. The Homo never has gotten to a Super Bowl because: "HE SUCKS". Your comment is all that can be expected from an uneducated Cowturds fan and supporter .

Arguing that Romo has never gotten a Superbowl after starting for I believe less than 2 years because "he sucks" is simply ignorant. And let's be serious, Manning did not carry that team on his back in their "magical" and "improbable" run. It was outstanding defense. I read your earlier post. Losing Shockey is not this team's only problem.

Arguing that Romo has never gotten a Superbowl after starting for I believe less than 2 years because "he sucks" is simply ignorant. And let's be serious, Manning did not carry that team on his back in their "magical" and "improbable" run. It was outstanding defense. I read your earlier post. Losing Shockey is not this team's only problem.

Please dont think Patriot is a typical Giants fan, infact I think this entire board doesnt support any of his statements one bit.... I'm surprised he hasent been banned by now.