SportsWrath

Bring back Strahan thread #1

jranieli

Well he gets to miss pre-season and training camp with no fines so he should be happy to return. :P

Smartest thing EA has ever said and the 10 table ring proves it. I've written this many times that shutdown corners are over rated and it all starts at the line; on both sides of the ball really.

Couldn't agree with you more. The thing I loved about Coughlin when he was hired was that he stated his number one priority was to "take back the line". He repeatedly said that the real battles were in the trenches and everything else will work itself out. Since he came aboard, he completely rebuilt the O-Line from the ground up and added Tuck, Cofield, and Kiwi to the D-line that was arguably the best D-line in the NFL last year.

I don't think anyone can argue that TC hasn't done a great job at building a team from the trenches outward.

Remember how bummed we all were when the Giants drafted Kiwanuka with a first round draft pick back in 2006? We were all saying, "WTF????", since we were loaded for bear in DE's with Strahan, Osi, and Tuck. I remember Accorsi (it was his last draft) saying, "there's no such thing as too many pass rushing DE's".

I guess he was right!

Everyone watching the draft knows the needs we have and that's why some people are bummed about these picks. I didn't want Kiwi either but I'm glad we got him regardless of what happened Osi. The kid is a great player.

Hell, I wanted Gallery over Eli and I won't go back on that. At the time our offensive line was crap and we had a decent QB in Collins so the need was more pressing on the line. I was wrong, but hell I can live with that. :)

Ernie isnt our GM anymore buddy...............Its Jerry and STrahan is under contract with FOX theres no WAY he is coming back we are fucked :cwy:

he can break that contract as long as it's not for another media-related job

I just heard 8 million to get him to come back.

yeah, and that'swhat it would've taken to keep him from retiring in the first place--giants only offered him 6.5. maybe they'll change their tune now. personally i hope they do, he's not in playing shape, but he wasn't in playing shape this time last year either

Report: Strahan, Giants discussing return; Kiwanuka moved to DE

ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 25, 2008, 5:29 PM ET

Ex-New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan and his former team have begun talks about a possible return in the wake of Osi Umenyiora's season-ending knee injury, the New York Daily News reported Monday, citing an unnamed source.

A team official called and talked to Strahan, 36, who retired in the offseason after helping lead the Giants to a Super Bowl championship, a source close to the seven-time Pro Bowler told the paper.

The paper had previously reported Strahan would come back with the Giants if offered an $8 million contract for this season, according to a source close to Strahan.

The Daily News later reported several of Strahan's friends said Monday that his interest in talking about a possible contract is genuine, but that he may seek as much as $12 million for this season.

"If the Giants make a sincere overture, it's a good chance that Strahan would consider coming back," one of the sources said, according to the Daily News. "There are other things he has to take into consideration: the money and his contract with Fox."

Strahan currently holds a position at Fox Sports as an NFL studio analyst.

"But if the Giants really want him, they have a shot," a source said. "It's not out of the question."

Co-owner Steve Tisch told the New York Post the Giants have warmed to Strahan returning.

Michael Strahan has relaxed in retirement. And as speculation churns that he soon could be back with the Giants, he's offering little concrete evidence a return is imminent. Matt Mosley

"Would I like Michael to be a New York Giant this season? Absolutely. Absolutely," Tisch told the Post. "Will he be? I have no idea. I don't even want to put a percentage on it but things changed very quickly [saturday] night and if one of the potential solutions is to reach out to Michael, worst-case, it's certainly worth a phone call.''

Coach Tom Coughlin addressed the early Strahan reports Monday and the Giants' void at defensive end.

"There hasn't been any discussion that I have been involved in there," Coughlin said. "We are going to explore every option that is available. And the last time that I talked with Michael he had accepted his new challenge and was very happy about that. And I have not spoken with him at all since the other night's game."

Coughlin said the Giants would move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end.

Kiwanuka was shifted to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"The move was always to get the best, most quality people on the field," Coughlin said. "And Mathias accepted every job that we have offered and every task we have presented him with. I talked with him yesterday and he was more than ready to do whatever we wanted him to do that was in the best interest of the team."

Strahan, who is vacationing in Greece, turned down a $6 million contract offer in the offseason. He has since signed to work on Fox Sports NFL pregame shows on Sunday.

"There is no clock running," Coughlin said. "Obviously, whatever we can do that is in the best interest of our team, we will do it. I don't know that there is any sense of real --- we have people here that can play the positions. Obviously when you take Mathias and put him down, that gives more opportunity at the linebacker spot."

A Giant Hole?

Michael Strahan's retirement has proved part and parcel of the Giants' struggle this offseason to maintain a Super Bowl-caliber defense. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora was the latest loss.

2008 offseason

DE Michael Strahan Retired

LB Kawika Mitchell Signed with Bills

LB Reggie Torbor Signed with Dolphins

S Gibril Wilson Signed with Raiders

DE Osi Umenyiora Out for season

Strahan wouldn't confirm the possibility of returning in an interview with the NFL Network.

"I haven't heard from anybody else, so to say if I would or wouldn't is premature," Strahan said. "So I'm enjoying my retired life right now."

Strahan retired in June, ending a 15-year career highlighted by the Giants' stunning Super Bowl victory over the unbeaten New England Patriots.

Coughlin recently talked with Strahan about his TV career.

"The only thing I talked with Michael about was his new challenge, moving forward in his new assignment and he was very excited about that," Coughlin said, according to The Associated Press.

Agent Tony Agnone said the Giants have not contacted him to ask about Strahan.

"Obviously, he loves the Giants and obviously he is working for Fox," Agnone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "Right now he is relaxing and getting ready for his Fox gig."

Strahan missed all of training camp last season while mulling retirement. He reported to the team a little more than a week before the season opener and played well.

However, he trained while thinking about retirement last year and was in good shape.

The Giants open the season on Sept. 4 against the Washington Redskins.

Jets quarterback Brett Favre, recently unretired himself, said the Giants should do whatever possible to get Strahan back.

"The guy still looks great, hell of a player," Favre said at the Jets' facility in Hempstead, N.Y. "I would have done whatever to try to get him back initially, but now, how could you not want him back?

"Wouldn't that be something, he comes back and we start a trend?"

Teammates tended to doubt that Strahan would return.

"As I know it, he is probably on a beach somewhere sipping on some pina coladas, so I doubt football is the first thing on his mind today," said defensive end Justin Tuck, who replaced Strahan at left end.

Defensive tackle Barry Cofield said Strahan gave no indication that he wanted to play again when he visited the Giants at training camp in Albany, N.Y., less than two weeks ago.

"He has not been bouncing back and forth like Favre," Cofield said. "He has been pretty happy. We saw him up here and he said he missed it but he was content. He has decided to go on to the next phase of his life so I don't look too strongly into that [him playing again.]"

Danny Clark, a nine-year veteran who was signed as a free agent in the offseason, will move from weakside linebacker to the strong side to replace Kiwanuka. Gerris Wilkinson will start at weakside linebacker.

link

Apologies if this has been posted. I skimmed the above article and didn't see this. This is from the updated version of thee same article

Strahan currently holds a position at Fox Sports as an NFL studio analyst.

Fox Sports spokesman Dan Bell tells 1050 ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand that network executives talked with Strahan Monday about returning to the Giants.

''If this is something you want to do, we support you 100 percent and your job will be waiting for you,'' Bell said the executives told Strahan.

Apologies if this has been posted. I skimmed the above article and didn't see this. This is from the updated version of thee same article

Well, that's going to certainly help the cause of getting Strahan to come out of retirement. Man, I hate to do this to him too. Now New York will have two hall of famers to come out of retirement and play. At least in Strahan's case it's because the Giants need him. Brett Farve is just an ass.

Well, that's going to certainly help the cause of getting Strahan to come out of retirement. Man, I hate to do this to him too. Now New York will have two hall of famers to come out of retirement and play. At least in Strahan's case it's because the Giants need him. Brett Farve is just an ass.

I was also looking forward to Mike being in a different H.O.F. class then Broadway Brett. As wonderful as Strahans career has been, it will be overshadowed by "The Brett" <_<