SportsWrath

If Eli goes down....

Ditto

Carr looks to have the tools... quick release, strong arm, velocity, tight spiral... but I did notice when the rush got to him he looked rattled.

If he can get his head on straight he'll be a good backup.

Anthony Wright flat-out sucks, showed me nothing last night. Weak arm, bad/slow decision making, no pocket presence.

I was quite impressed with Carr last night. That first pass he made was a friggin lightning bolt. Reminded me of Marino in his hey day. I'm shocked the WR (I think it was Jennings, not sure) was able to handle it. The knock on him was that he had some of the best physical tools in the game, but couldn't keep up with the mental part of the game in which he had to assimilate tons of information on the fly. That kind of thing takes time for a QB to gain....and he's been on teams that had front lines reminding one of a sieve. It's hard enough to assimilate the game as it's unfolding, let alone expecting one to be able to do so in half the time because he's constantly getting layed out on his back by the defense within 2 seconds (sometimes less) of having the ball put in his hands. I thought it was an interesting stat brought up last night that Carr had been sacked more times than any player in NFL history except one (back in 1927 or something like that). Getting pounded because you have no front line will make any QB jumpy and prone to error. Hell....it made Tom Brady jumpy in the Superbowl and according to the press, Brady is a god in the sport of football.

I think we are in fine shape for QB. Unless Eli has a season ending injury, we've got some great talent (needs fine tuning though) just waiting to make their mark. No team can have a first team pro-bowl QB sitting on the bench "in case".

I too was hoping to see more of Woodson. I think the guy has a lot of talent, but is green as grass in the NFL. He will do well to be the understudy for a couple of years and learn the mental game before testing out his skills in an actual game.

Lets not even talk about this, this is a problem for the coaches to solve, I don't wanna think about what happens if Eli gets hurt, so I'm just gonna cover my eyes and pretend I never saw this thread.

For the record, we're no worse off that every other team out there, if there was a team that had a back up capable of starting, the Bears would have traded for him already. Minus maybe the Browns.

I don't know about Woodson, the day I saw him in training camp he threw 3 pics basically right to the defender and had two balls knocked down.

I think Carr is a HUGE upgrade over Lorenzen. It is not even close. Carr has been a starter in the league and has a lot of physical talent, let him line up behind the Giants O-line and he can be a serviceable QB.

For the record, we're no worse off that every other team out there, if there was a team that had a back up capable of starting, the Bears would have traded for him already. Minus maybe the Browns.

Exactly. The only team that isn't fucked if their starting QB goes down is Chicago because they're fucked already.

I hate to bring up old arguments, but we should have kept the big guy. What we're left with is a basket case, and a guy with peripheral vision.

So is pretty much every team in the NFL BB.....cept maybe the Boys with Johnson.

It's a risk..but I'm not gripping as bad as Pats or Colts fans should be....man they got nothing behind their guys.

C. Wagon.

I don't know about Woodson, the day I saw him in training camp he threw 3 pics basically right to the defender and had two balls knocked down.

I think Carr is a HUGE upgrade over Lorenzen. It is not even close. Carr has been a starter in the league and has a lot of physical talent, let him line up behind the Giants O-line and he can be a serviceable QB.

i agree- carr also has something to prove. he does get a little short with his delivery when he perceives trouble but he'd grow to trust the guys in front of him.

i agree- carr also has something to prove. he does get a little short with his delivery when he perceives trouble but he'd grow to trust the guys in front of him.
Time will tell if Carr has the required ability to be #2. Other pre-season games will show the coaching staff that they have to release "wrong". He sucked last year and just got worse. Maybe he can get a job in the arena football league where he belongs.

I don't really have any problems with Carr backing up Eli. If Anthony Wright playing in the second quarter is any indication that the Giants coaching staff considers him in the lead for 2nd stringer, then they are retarded, however. Like someone said, Anthony Wright has no pocket presence, last night he spotted a blitzer and then got sacked and threw a pick anyway.

I don't really have any problems with Carr backing up Eli. If Anthony Wright playing in the second quarter is any indication that the Giants coaching staff considers him in the lead for 2nd stringer, then they are retarded, however. Like someone said, Anthony Wright has no pocket presence, last night he spotted a blitzer and then got sacked and threw a pick anyway.

Yeah because we ALL know better then a NFL coaching staff :P

I say we get Dave Brown out of retirement to back up Eli.

I think we are better off then most teams hell Chicago and Minnesota have zero QB's we have at least two with starting experience, Yeah Carr is not that great he almost looks retarded in his delivery but hes serviceable, I can't believe there are still guys out there like Daunte Culpepper and Chris Simms any team in the NFL besides us could use either one of them as a backup or starter. Hell Green Bay deperately needs a backup so does NE,Indy. Chicago has Kyle "freaking" Orton starting? once again a professional football team with a storied history like the Bears are starting Kyle "freaking" Orton, so lets just be glad we have Eli, who hasn't missed a start and played with a separated shoulder last year. (so fuck you Brett "the flopper" Favre and your "toughness")

Yeah because we ALL know better then a NFL coaching staff :P

I say we get Dave Brown out of retirement to back up Eli.

Umm did you watch and see the difference between Wright and Carr? And I know we can't all be NFL coaches but I'm pretty sure I can agree with scouts believing Carr was a first overall pick and Anthony Wright wasn't drafted at all.

Didnt Wright get hurt at the end of the half against Cleveland? He did kinda suck

As for the colts and pats not having a backup, the colts have the big guy.

And the lumbering lefty was fun to watch i have to admit, and if we only had to go 2 yards for a first down, id say he would be the perfect QB. But he is big, slow, telegraphs his throws, and gets winded running back to the huddle. It is cool how he towers over the offensive line.

Besides, Eli didnt win the super bowl, he will not get us to the next one. It was ALL DEFENCE, big pounding bruising dominating d-fence.

Lets see, hold the NE Pats with every scoring record to 14 points vs fumbling twice, throwing one INT in the red zone, almost two at the end, and pulling a two minute drill out of his ass.

Ill admit Eli is great under pressure. He is the same throwing 7 ints or with two minutes left in the SB. You dont teach that. But he is hardly the savior, nor can he really pick apart a defence. He throws it deep and we have tall fast receivers, not to mention a bruising run game that makes defences feel pain.

Eli may have been the popular choice for SB MVP, but he was hardly the MVP that day

Didnt Wright get hurt at the end of the half against Cleveland? He did kinda suck

And the lumbering lefty was fun to watch i have to admit, and if we only had to go 2 yards for a first down, id say he would be the perfect QB. But he is big, slow, telegraphs his throws, and gets winded running back to the huddle. It is cool how he towers over the offensive line.

Besides, Eli didnt win the super bowl, he will not get us to the next one. It was ALL DEFENCE, big pounding bruising dominating d-fence.

Lets see, hold the NE Pats with every scoring record to 14 points vs fumbling twice, throwing one INT in the red zone, almost two at the end, and pulling a two minute drill out of his ass.

Ill admit Eli is great under pressure. He is the same throwing 7 ints or with two minutes left in the SB. You dont teach that. But he is hardly the savior, nor can he really pick apart a defence. He throws it deep and we have tall fast receivers, not to mention a bruising run game that makes defences feel pain.

Eli may have been the popular choice for SB MVP, but he was hardly the MVP that day

What a time to rain on the parade, Jesus Christ dude.

Well thats not fair. That was a good thrown ball, Smith couldnt hold on to it.

Party Pooper

Reading about QB questions on NFL.com and be glad this isn't the Giants situation.

Alex Smith, whom the 49ers made the top overall choice in 2005, is going against J.T. O'Sullivan, a veteran free agent from Detroit, and Shaun Hill.