SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs - old school mentality

JMFP

Instead of bitching and moaning about his contract, Jacobs is willing to play out his final year and prove his market value.

It's too bad they couldn't work out an extension before the season - this can be risky to either Jacobs or the Giants. If Jacobs gets injured, it could really screw his career. If Jacobs has a monster year, he hits a free-agent jackpot (at the very least, the Giants could franchise him, but that seems to create it's own set of problems).

Either way, I respect the fact that Jacobs is not pulling any Devin Hester bullshit....he's willing to prove his worth out on the field.

"I just wanted to be able to prove myself," Jacobs said after arriving at the University at Albany yesterday. "I see what guys are getting when they hit the market. And that's not what I was asking for. I was asking for half of what they got and half of the years. I thought that was fair. But I can't be the one to say what I think was fair and what's not. Now I've got a whole season to prove myself."

Of course, the fact that he appeared in only 11 games - due to a sprained knee and a pulled hamstring - is why the Giants are reluctant to give him a sizeable deal. And with Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw and Reuben Droughns on the roster, it's not clear if Jacobs will ever get big money from the Giants.

"And I understand where they're coming from," Jacobs said. "Why pay one when you've got three (others) that are really producing?"

Not only is Jacobs still here, but he said he's "very motivated" by the prospect of a big payday at the end of the season. He also has huge goals for himself based on what he did last year.

"I had 1,000 yards in 11 games," he said. "If I could play 16, I'll lead the league."

If he does that, he might end up pricing himself right out of New York - or right into the dreaded "franchise player" tag. For now, Jacobs insisted that his first choice is to remain with the Giants. But any talk of that will have to wait at least another few months.

"I'm done. I'm finished doing it," Jacobs said. "I don't want to be talking about negotiations or talking to my agent every chance I get. It's camp time. I'm focused. A lot of people, I guess, still want me to prove that I can play 16 games. Why would I sign a deal that's not fair (now), rather than just play 16 games and prove myself and go through it in March?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football..._in_no_rus.html

1009 yds in 11 games? If this cat can stay healthy, he's gonna do big things.

Keep in mind I think he is going to be splitting alot of time with Bradshaw this year so I think he will see a decline in carries, plus we lost one of the better run blocking TE's in the league. But yes if he can play a full year out, he could put up some nice numbers.

Keep in mind I think he is going to be splitting alot of time with Bradshaw this year so I think he will see a decline in carries, plus we lost one of the better run blocking TE's in the league. But yes if he can play a full year out, he could put up some nice numbers.

Im thinking the duo of Boss/Matthews is gonna not only open up the passing game, but still provide that blocking we were used to with Shockey. Matthews is a very good blocker. And I wouldnt be surprised if we had 2 1,000 yd rushers this season. With BJ having more TD's. Jacobs will wear em down and then in comes Ahmad.

Im thinking the duo of Boss/Matthews is gonna not only open up the passing game, but still provide that blocking we were used to with Shockey. Matthews is a very good blocker. And I wouldnt be surprised if we had 2 1,000 yd rushers this season. With BJ having more TD's. Jacobs will wear em down and then in comes Ahmad.

I think BJ will have another 1000yd season, but I think Bradshaw is going to be in the 500-800yd range. I just think losing a player like Shockey will hurt us, I mean now Defensive Coordinators have one less target to worry about on our O in heavy run packages. I do think Boss will be an adequate blocker but it will take him some time to get to the level of Shockey's ability to block. Matthews is an alright blocker, when he has been in he really hasn't impressed me but he is a good solid blocker who might see more time when it comes to running plays then Boss.

Although I do like the idea of having two 1000yd rushers also :drool: .....but I'm trying to be realistic :P

I think BJ will have another 1000yd season, but I think Bradshaw is going to be in the 500-800yd range. I just think losing a player like Shockey will hurt us, I mean now Defensive Coordinators have one less target to worry about on our O in heavy run packages. I do think Boss will be an adequate blocker but it will take him some time to get to the level of Shockey's ability to block. Matthews is an alright blocker, when he has been in he really hasn't impressed me but he is a good solid blocker who might see more time when it comes to running plays then Boss.

Although I do like the idea of having two 1000yd rushers also :drool: .....but I'm trying to be realistic :P

Youre assesment is more likely, I just wouldnt be surprised. IMO, Matthews is a better blocker than your thinking, and we still have Hedgecock, so I think our blocking on run plays may not suffer as much as we are anticipating.

two thousand yard backs on one team is a pretty lofty expectation...only been done 3 times. especially since it is a tad premature in the dog's opinion to annoint bradshaw and ward. both showed flashes of being potentially solid backs, but it is hard to judge based on what they did last year in limited roles...

two thousand yard backs on one team is a pretty lofty expectation...only been done 3 times. especially since it is a tad premature in the dog's opinion to annoint bradshaw and ward. both showed flashes of being potentially solid backs, but it is hard to judge based on what they did last year in limited roles...

the dog should add that if ernest byner and kevin mack could do it, then undoubtedly anything is possible...

bradshaws the best back of the group anyway.

I predict he'll be the featured back by the end of the season.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jacobs and Bradshaw in a 2-back set, on occasion.

I predict he'll be the featured back by the end of the season.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jacobs and Bradshaw in a 2-back set, on occasion.

Which is something I would love to see. Boy that'll really confuse D's.

Very true. I dont expect it, but I wouldnt totally rule it out. But as you said, if Byner and Mack could do it, well......

Thats good for the team and risky for him. I don't think the Giants are overly concerned at the possibility of losing both Jacobs and Ward. RB's are a dime a dozen and every draft just produces another 1000+ yrd rusher.

I hope Jacobs can stay healthy this season to cash in this season.

Instead of bitching and moaning about his contract, Jacobs is willing to play out his final year and prove his market value.

It's too bad they couldn't work out an extension before the season - this can be risky to either Jacobs or the Giants. If Jacobs gets injured, it could really screw his career. If Jacobs has a monster year, he hits a free-agent jackpot (at the very least, the Giants could franchise him, but that seems to create it's own set of problems).

Either way, I respect the fact that Jacobs is not pulling any Devin Hester bullshit....he's willing to prove his worth out on the field.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football..._in_no_rus.html

Very refreshing to see this kinda thing happen and yes

it holds advantages and disadvantages for both but

I love the work ethic mentality as to "I will show you

what I am made of". I love the team that E Acorsi

reese and couglin put together. Road warriors !!!

Is Matthews really a good blocker, or is he just more of a blocker than a catcher? I know he's better than Boss but was he anywhere near Shockey? I really don't know but I'm sure I saw him screw a few blocks up last season. Also, Boss/Matthews is not one player. Having both in means one less WR and really doesn't "open up" anything.

Is Matthews really a good blocker, or is he just more of a blocker than a catcher? I know he's better than Boss but was he anywhere near Shockey? I really don't know but I'm sure I saw him screw a few blocks up last season. Also, Boss/Matthews is not one player. Having both in means one less WR and really doesn't "open up" anything.

Maybe we run some 2 TE sets it what I was thinking. But this is a big if, dont get me wrong. I understand that. Maybe the fact that he can block better than catch is what Im thinking, but I think that would mix it up a little.

Maybe we run some 2 TE sets it what I was thinking. But this is a big if, dont get me wrong. I understand that. Maybe the fact that he can block better than catch is what Im thinking, but I think that would mix it up a little.

I'm not picking on you in particular, there's just always been this preception that Matthews was a 'blocking TE' while Boss was a 'pass catching TE'. I'm just not sure Matthews is actually that good at blocking.

Again though, having two TEs on the field means you have one less WR. It's not a big advantage, especially if one can't catch so the D knows he's only there to block.

I'm not picking on you in particular, there's just always been this preception that Matthews was a 'blocking TE' while Boss was a 'pass catching TE'. I'm just not sure Matthews is actually that good at blocking.

Again though, having two TEs on the field means you have one less WR. It's not a big advantage, especially if one can't catch so the D knows he's only there to block.

Hey if Matthews turns out to have some hands, who says he has to be out there to block only. I know its one less receiver, but it gives us other options. That is, if Matthews pans out the way we're hopin.

Hey if Matthews turns out to have some hands, who says he has to be out there to block only. I know its one less receiver, but it gives us other options. That is, if Matthews pans out the way we're hopin.

Matthews doesn't have hands.

It was a riot when the ball was thrown to him last year.