SportsWrath

Thats our All Star

xxi-xxv

:LMAO:

the rest of the NL can now hate him for a night like I do.

Somewhere a man named Willie must have a smile on his face.

I'd settle for the explaination about just how he became an "All Star". <_<

hope everyone's as hard on him as they were on hoffman a few years back

my guess is they will get all over Papelbon who other than giving up a leadoff bloop did nothing to cost the AL that run....

Billy on the otherhand comes in no one on 2 outs and still blows it.

Do not worry everyone knows what a fraud he is. Hoffman is not a fraud, just spotty in his small body of big game/big stage chances. Billy leads the frigging league in blown saves, he sucks ass.

I'd settle for the explaination about just how he became an "All Star". <_<

Its simple. They look at his stats of when he did very well for 2 months, which coinsided with his team playing awful. Typical Billy, no pressure, good Billy. When his team started to play a little better and his overrated ass was counted on in big spots he spit the bit(see 7 straight starts of 7+ Ip by starters and no runs that he proceeded to blow).

He is a fraud.

my guess is they will get all over Papelbon who other than giving up a leadoff bloop did nothing to cost the AL that run....

Do not worry everyone knows what a fraud he is. Hoffman is not a fraud, just spotty in his small body of big game/big stage chances. Billy leads the frigging league in blown saves, he sucks ass.

Hoffman's a fraud too. How do you think the Rockies went to the world series

last year? Hoffman blew like 3 saves at the end of the year for the Rockies just

to get that playoff game and then Hoffman blew that one too.

BUT!! Wagner's team usually wins when he blows a save this year, so it looks like the Mets will have home field advantage in the Fall Classic. Thanks Wags!!

Hoffman's a fraud too. How do you think the Rockies went to the world series

last year? Hoffman blew like 3 saves at the end of the year for the Rockies just

to get that playoff game and then Hoffman blew that one too.

by not touching home plate

hoffman's past his prime, what's billy's excuse? they were never in the same stratosphere to begin with

they probably will. it's not fair, but if miguel cabrera could field his position or tony larussa would've put rolen there wouldn't have been a blown save that year either. but no one's ever interestedin the details i guess

hoffman's past his prime, what's billy's excuse? they were never in the same stratosphere to begin with

I do not think GG is saying Wagner is any good or has ever been, he is just saying his opinion of Hoffman which many also agree with.

Maybe I have been watching such shitty closers since Myers left after 1989(Franco, Benitez, Looper and now Redneck Billy)I am not as down on Hoffman as others, but in all honesty I do hear this sentiment a lot.

I do not think GG is saying Wagner is any good or has ever been, he is just saying his opinion of Hoffman which many also agree with.

Maybe I have been watching such shitty closers since Myers left after 1989(Franco, Benitez, Looper and now Redneck Billy)I am not as down on Hoffman as others, but in all honesty I do hear this sentiment a lot.

i distinctly remember him(and other met fans) saying 'fuck hoffman' and other similar comments a few years ago on this board. im not seeing the same sentiment this year about wagner (except you, as expected :) ). the mets are in contention just as they were that year too

no one ever remembers the saves, just the blown saves. he blew his only shot in the world series in '98, but he saved games in the playoffs on the way to that series, not to mention 53 out of 54 in the regular season that year.

my opinion, and i think most would agree, is that hoffman is by far the 2nd best closer of all time. most saves ever, best save percentage ever are hard stats to argue with

i distinctly remember him(and other met fans) saying 'fuck hoffman' and other similar comments a few years ago on this board. im not seeing the same sentiment this year about wagner (except you, as expected :) ). the mets are in contention just as they were that year too

no one ever remembers the saves, just the blown saves. he blew his only shot in the world series in '98, but he saved games in the playoffs on the way to that series, not to mention 53 out of 54 in the regular season that year.

my opinion, and i think most would agree, is that hoffman is by far the 2nd best closer of all time. most saves ever, best save percentage ever are hard stats to argue with

Here is what I will say about that.

I place Mariano head and shoulders among everyone, present, past probably future.

Now here is where the arguement gets dicey. The closer of today is far different than say the closer of the 1970's. Hall of famers Goose Gosage, Bruce Sutter and guys like Rollie Fingers and Sparky Lyle use to come in to situations where it was based loaded 1 out 7th inning team ahead 5-3 and get out of it and then pitch the 8th and 9th for the save. The closer of today(probably created by LaRussa with Eckersley)is usually a 9th inning situation when the team is leading(or tied at home), not like it was 30 years ago. So the question begs, can our great closers of today(taking Hoffman out of it based on age and Mariano based on his status)such as Nathan, Papelbon, K-Rod etc be considered in those guys class? I do not know if Hoffman or Mariano could have been successful as say a closer was 25-35 yeara ago.

Most people tend to think Bruce Sutter is #2. I do not underrate Hoffman at all. I just think we have to have the closer say pre Eckersley and the closer post ECK and if we break it down like that then yes Hoffman is certainly 2nd best.

i take the same approach as you. i separate the two. i have less pity for the old closers cuz goose gossage made me sick for years crying about how today's closers couldn't do what he did (where's the proof?) just because he was trying to get into the hall of fame. i knkow that's not an objective way to evaluate it but i can't help it, i really can't stand goose. he basically has been saying that he's better than rivera for years and no one calls him out on it.

i agree that rivera is head and shoulders the best ever. there was a time when i'd argue this, but while i can cite hoffman's age when talking about last year's collapse and the bad year he's having, rivera is basically the same age and is better than ever. i do honestly think hoffman's the second best by far though. goose gossage and bruce sutter didn't pitch during the steroids era. you can argue that pedro martinez is the best pitcher of all time but you will get plenty of old-timers saying that starters during this era don'tpitch complete games or throw as many innings per start. of course i could come back and say that the win numbers are inflated in the past cuz they got more starts but that's what makes these debates so tough.