SportsWrath

Plax is holding out

RandolphScott

Uh oh. Here we go.

Plaxico Burress wasn’t on the official Giants injury report today, which probably should have been the first clue that something was wrong. And he confirmed as much a few minutes ago when he said he was not participating in this three-day minicamp because of a “business decision.”

“My agent and I are trying to get something done, so I can be a Giant for a long time,” Burress said. “I’m personally not happy with the way that’s going so I’m choosing not to participate.”

Burress, who has three years left on his current contract, said his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has been negotiating with the Giants for months, with apparently little progress. Asked what he would do if no deal was in place by the start of training camp on July 24, Burress indicated he might hold out.

“We’ll have to see what happens,” Burress said. “But I have a pretty good idea what I would do.”

Burress did say his rehab of injuries to his ankle, knee and shoulder has been going well and that physically he would have been able to participate today. However, he chose not to do that, then chose to vent his frustrations during the team’s lunch.

“We’ve been trying to handle this with class. We’ve been trying to do things the right way,” Burress said. “Sometimes you just got to stand up and do what’s right.”

The Blue Screen

Yep, everyone want there piece of the pie.

It's harder to fight Burress on this now, perhaps the Giants should have renogiated last year, but hindsight is a bitch. This time last year I was saying he'd be cut before this season to save money.

The guy shut his mouth last year, played hurt, and was clutch is a LOT of big games for us.

His deal at the time was considered a "steal" because he had a bad rep and was considered whiney and underachieving.

Pay him what he deserves, we just freed up money from Strahan's retirement, no? He's the best wideout we've had in a long time... and lock up Snee while we're at it, too.

Pay him what he deserves, we just freed up money from Strahan's retirement, no? He's the best wideout we've had in a long time... and lock up Snee while we're at it, too.

I was thinking the same thing after I had reflected on Strahan retiring that the team now had a couple million to play with this year.

The guy shut his mouth last year, played hurt, and was clutch is a LOT of big games for us.

His deal at the time was considered a "steal" because he had a bad rep and was considered whiney and underachieving.

Totally agreed. If someone has the right to demand more money, its Plax IMO. AND Snee.

I wouldn't mind seeing Plax get a bit of a bump, but I just hope it doesn't open the floodgates for other players. methinks converting some of his salary into a gauranteed bonus, adding a year, and maybe a little bump to each years salary be good. It does irk me that he has 3 years left and he's holding out. 2 years, I could sorta see. Eh, whatev, he was a warrior last year. Just so long as he doesn't get Moss or TO $$$

Plaxico Burress deserves a raise. Period. Football players put themselves on the line every week, but Plax did it to the extreme. I've been saying it since the rumors crept up in March that we should at minimum raise Burress's salary among the elites in the game. Now extending him is a different story, i think he should only be locked up for an extra one or two years beyond 2010.

M aybe team managment is whats fucked up here. Maybe Plax does deserve a bump, which he does. He gave us alotlast year playing hurt most of the season. Managment better not fuck this team up. We have potential to be a big contender for a long time to come.

I just lost all my respect for the guy. You were great last year but there's three fucking years left on the contract. Live up to your word like a fucking man or stay the fuck home. The day a player gives money back to the team for underperforming is the day he can pull this type of shit when he's being 'underpaid'.

I just lost all my respect for the guy. You were great last year but there's three fucking years left on the contract. Live up to your word like a fucking man or stay the fuck home. The day a player gives money back to the team for underperforming is the day he can pull this type of shit when he's being 'underpaid'.

He actually isnt bitching about being underpaid, he wants a longer contract. I could see us giving him a two-four year extension, I mean he wants to stay a Giants..I say let him be.

He's probably worried after the three years are up he's going to have to beg and get paid almost minimum to stay with the team, it seems to be happening alot lately in the NFL to vets.

i'm sorry but he has clearly outplayed his contract while he was a key contributor to a SB run with a bum ankle that could've threatened his career.

at the minimum he deserves a raise. the top WRs are making 9-10 mill a year. plax is making 10 the next three years.

i'm an advocate for players that ask for money in the middle of the deal. this is such a cruel business that the minute their production goes down or they get hurt they lose out on so much coin. they almost have no choice but to ask for money while they are on top.

i'm sorry but he has clearly outplayed his contract while he was a key contributor to a SB run with a bum ankle that could've threatened his career.

at the minimum he deserves a raise. the top WRs are making 9-10 mill a year. plax is making 10 the next three years.

i'm an advocate for players that ask for money in the middle of the deal. this is such a cruel business that the minute their production goes down or they get hurt they lose out on so much coin. they almost have no choice but to ask for money while they are on top.

Sorry, what were the numbers he 'outperformed' on his current contract?

He signed the deal, the Giants lived up to their end and he should do the same. Like I said the minute players start giving money back when the underperform I'll be happy with this kind of bullshit. Either that or scrap the cap system and make all contracts performance based.

Treehugger, how can you hold a player to honor his contract when the team he signs a contract with are equally not obligated to honor it as well?

Well there is the problem but players tend to be worse than the teams. Most the times teams only cut you based on injuries, bad behaviour or really bad performance. Even then they usually have to do a buyout to finish your contract or give some kind of compensation. Players on the other had demand money for one good year, dog it for 3 and then have another good year and demand more. Really teams have the raw deal because they have to pay all the money up front and hope that things work out and it's getting worse with all these guaranteed money contracts.

Sorry, what were the numbers he 'outperformed' on his current contract?

He signed the deal, the Giants lived up to their end and he should do the same. Like I said the minute players start giving money back when the underperform I'll be happy with this kind of bullshit. Either that or scrap the cap system and make all contracts performance based.

Would the Giants have lived up to their end if Plax put together successive 20 catch seasons and was a malcontent in the locker room? I doubt it. Plax is playing at an elite level at this point of his career and risked the rest of his career by playing on that bum ankle.

also when he signed that deal the money top receivers were getting was less. the new value of a top WR has increased exponentially since 05. while that isn't the giatns fault i can't blame plax for griping about that.

Would the Giants have lived up to their end if Plax put together successive 20 catch seasons and was a malcontent in the locker room? I doubt it. Plax is playing at an elite level at this point of his career and risked the rest of his career by playing on that bum ankle.

Thats right, well said. Plax has the ability and team to be better than TO or Moss. And he wants a longer contract? Is managment fucking retarted? :confused:

also when he signed that deal the money top receivers were getting was less. the new value of a top WR has increased exponentially since 05. while that isn't the giatns fault i can't blame plax for griping about that.

Then don't sign a long term contract. Why is it always about money? If he wants more money, go get endorsement deals. Do you think Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are the top paid quarterbacks in the league? No, and you don't hear them bitching. The majority of the money they make is off endorsement deals.