SportsWrath

Can the Mets overcome the Odds?

xxi-xxv

Not to argue your point, xxi, because I agree with you, the Phils do have a problem in the starting pitching department (10th best ERA from starters in the NL), but Hamels is ace quality, I would say.

yes and that gets you an equal in a game 1. What about game 2? Its why i said you need at least 2 ace calibers in the post season.

Its why the Yanks from 96-2001 always won the game they needed with guys like Pettite, Cone, Key, Wells, Clemens, El Duque, Mussina. They always has a quality very good starter in all games. Its why I would hate to see the Dbacks in the playoffs.

Now if the Mets were not such a mess all around you would normally have to feel comfortable with a Santana, Maine, Martinez 1 2 3, its just that the Mets are so rotten all around that they do no matter.

the Mets troubles go beyond pitching.

Pay attention, pitching has not been the Mets problem and I knew that this team was gonna suck and no one can argue I called this a while back.

Facts are facts, normally teams without an ace or more so nowadays 2 do not win in the postseason. Maybe the mets can like loan Santana to the Phils for half a year with a promise to let the mets have Ryan Howard for like 2 months in 2009 :mellow:

You're telling me to pay attention?

The Mets pitching was supposed to make them the "team to beat"...STATISTICALLY. Is that the case now?? Perhaps it will be the case later in the year??

You can keep Santana, cause I will say it again....PAY ATTENTION...we seem to be holding our own nicely. :)

You're telling me to pay attention?

The Mets pitching was supposed to make them the "team to beat"...STATISTICALLY. Is that the case now?? Perhaps it will be the case later in the year??

You can keep Santana, cause I will say it again....PAY ATTENTION...we seem to be holding our own nicely. :)

If you are happy with your pitching going into a short playoff series more power to you,

Again, the Mets problem has not been their starting pitching.

I think what you are trying to convey is that people "said" the Mets pitching would make them the team to beat, thus what people "say" regarding the Phillies pitching in a playoff series shows that what people "say" means nothing. Heres a fact, the Mets suck, they are rotten to the core and the problems go beyond starting pitching. Here is the difference, the teams you will be facing in the playoffs do not suck and most have more than 1 ace starter like the Phils seem to have. So yes, we all get your point how it was "said" about the mets pitching yet your Phils are proving that wrong. That has nothing to do with the other teams you will most likely face that do not have the issues the Mets do, ones that are enabling the Phils to overcome what everyone "said" was a lock.

You have a team that is built very very very well for the 162 game schedule, much like the 2006 Mets, where they have such a good offense and are able to beat up on so many of the piss poor pitching that is around the league. Here is the problem, much like the 2006 you have one lock down starter and in a short series that can hamper you. Facts are facts and if that does not scare you come October, well then I want your optimism.

Now like I said, if you get Sabathia...................

Please don't make the mistake that I am happy with the Phillies pitching. I'd say the only ones I have remote confidence in on the mound are Hamels and Lidge. Everyone else makes me hold my breath, especially Myers. I was only messing with gateb on his statement that "We aren't any more talented than the Phillies except maybe with pitching."...and all I said was that we seem to be holding our own...keeping our heads afloat with our bats and pretty good defense. For whatever reason, it got slightly twisted into something more.

Statistics are fine, I just don't happen to use them to judge the future as much as others do. It's the optimistic side of me, I guess. It may be easier for me to say that now, cause the Phils are currently in a sweet position. I'm not stupid. I have been a baseball fan long enough to know that 162 games is a ton of games to play...and in the blink of an eye, teams get hot, as well as run cold.

It's a long season that has really just begun.

Let's see where we are in the end.

But...

Allow me to go on record with the statement that I have no expectations for my team in the post season. Some of you should try it. It makes going forward all the more sweet...just like it did with the GIANTS in the Superbowl. ;)

Please don't make the mistake that I am happy with the Phillies pitching. I'd say the only ones I have remote confidence in on the mound are Hamels and Lidge. Everyone else makes me hold my breath, especially Myers. I was only messing with gateb on his statement that "We aren't any more talented than the Phillies except maybe with pitching."...and all I said was that we seem to be holding our own...keeping our heads afloat with our bats and pretty good defense. For whatever reason, it got slightly twisted into something more.

Statistics are fine, I just don't happen to use them to judge the future as much as others do. It's the optimistic side of me, I guess. It may be easier for me to say that now, cause the Phils are currently in a sweet position. I'm not stupid. I have been a baseball fan long enough to know that 162 games is a ton of games to play...and in the blink of an eye, teams get hot, as well as run cold.

It's a long season that has really just begun.

Let's see where we are in the end.

But...

Allow me to go on record with the statement that I have no expectations for my team in the post season. Some of you should try it. It makes going forward all the more sweet...just like it did with the GIANTS in the Superbowl. ;)

See I like your team and how they are comprised. They have the four very good/great players and I think Hamels is going to be special. I also think the chemistry of that team is trerrific and that it apparently seems(at least here with the MUST END THE SEASONS is important) I am a bit surprised with Myers, but I think he will be ok. I fear Lidge a bit, but he has seemed to come around. I really truly believe that if the Phils get themselves one more quality starter, where Myers becomes a game 3 guy and Moyer a game 4 that there is no reason to not mention them in the same sentence as the World Series. Where I differ from other Met fans is that I saw this coming 3 months ago, so like you said, I expected NOTHING and it seems to be thats what I am getting.

Phils make a blockbuster and get one of the available top of the rotation starters, look out NL because then they become a more complete team.

Phils make a blockbuster and get one of the available top of the rotation starters, look out NL because then they become a more complete team.

#1 problem for the Phillies...ALWAYS...

Tight wads in the front office. <_<

It's the reason we don't have a great starting rotation in the first place. :brooding:

#1 problem for the Phillies...ALWAYS...

Tight wads in the front office. <_<

It's the reason we don't have a great starting rotation in the first place. :brooding:

at least they do not have a GM drunk on power and spending money on useless talent.