SportsWrath

Free agents still worth a look?

Sephiroth

I thought this thread was about free agents in FOOTBALL. I didn't realize it was a thread about a classless egotistical rapist who plays for the Lakers. :huh:

Anyway.....let's swing back to the subject of football. In my opinion, free agents serve one purpose.... snd that is, to fill a glaring hole that can't be filled any other way. Since WR's and QB's are most likely to become busts when drafted, it's smart to pick up a proven free agent WR when there is a glaring need for a WR. Plax is the perfect example of this. It would've been hard to get a WR of his talent any other way. The other time a free agent is a worthwhile pick is when the team is lacking depth in a position and/or you need a vet to mentor and spell the up and coming kids.

The other case in which a free agent would benefit the Giants is if a highly desireable player who the Giants really wanted in the draft, but was drafted before the Giants could get him, becomes available simply because the team that drafted him had to get down to roster size. There will be dozens of drafted rookies who won't make the team that drafted them simply because the team will have no room to keep some of them as they were already stacked at that position. There could be a cherry lineman (Red Bryant) or a stellar corner, etc., that falls through the cracks and ends up available. That's exactly how we ended up snatching Madison Hedgecock from the Rams and it was a great deal for the Giants.

Regardless, I can't think of a single area in which we would benefit as a team to pick up an older free agent at this point of time in the Giants' future. Unless of course, Shockey gets traded, but that's a big "if" and that road should be crossed when we get to it if we get to it.

Right now, we have quality bonefide starters at every position with a deep bench filled with very talented youthful depth and we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL that already has a superbowl championship under their belt. Adding a free agent simply means that we would have to cut one of the young guys who could be full of promise and a future pro-bowler. Hell....we are going to end up cutting some really, really good players as it is, just to get down to roster size. Other teams will end up picking up the players we will be forced to cut. I can't imagine bringing in an old player at this time and cutting a stud youngster who just needs a little seasoning.

I thought this thread was about free agents in FOOTBALL. I didn't realize it was a thread about a classless egotistical rapist who plays for the Lakers. :huh:

Anyway.....let's swing back to the subject of football. In my opinion, free agents serve one purpose.... snd that is, to fill a glaring hole that can't be filled any other way. Since WR's and QB's are most likely to become busts when drafted, it's smart to pick up a proven free agent WR when there is a glaring need for a WR. Plax is the perfect example of this. It would've been hard to get a WR of his talent any other way. The other time a free agent is a worthwhile pick is when the team is lacking depth in a position and/or you need a vet to mentor and spell the up and coming kids.

The other case in which a free agent would benefit the Giants is if a highly desireable player who the Giants really wanted in the draft, but was drafted before the Giants could get him, becomes available simply because the team that drafted him had to get down to roster size. There will be dozens of drafted rookies who won't make the team that drafted them simply because the team will have no room to keep some of them as they were already stacked at that position. There could be a cherry lineman (Red Bryant) or a stellar corner, etc., that falls through the cracks and ends up available. That's exactly how we ended up snatching Madison Hedgecock from the Rams and it was a great deal for the Giants.

Regardless, I can't think of a single area in which we would benefit as a team to pick up an older free agent at this point of time in the Giants' future. Unless of course, Shockey gets traded, but that's a big "if" and that road should be crossed when we get to it if we get to it.

Right now, we have quality bonefide starters at every position with a deep bench filled with very talented youthful depth and we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL that already has a superbowl championship under their belt. Adding a free agent simply means that we would have to cut one of the young guys who could be full of promise and a future pro-bowler. Hell....we are going to end up cutting some really, really good players as it is, just to get down to roster size. Other teams will end up picking up the players we will be forced to cut. I can't imagine bringing in an old player at this time and cutting a stud youngster who just needs a little seasoning.

My bad Bleedin, I kinda started it, apologies.

I agree about the youth aspect. it doesnt hurt to have solid vets that can bring them up, which we do have for the most part. Bringing Sammy Knight in was good because every other safety we have is unproven, Butler included. I wouldnt mind one more solid vet on the LB corps just for the experience aspect and if a rook goes down, I want someone with experience steppin in. TE, yeah, I could see bringing in a vet like K Brady, but with a year under his belt, I cant wait to see what Boss does. Matthews seems like a decent blocker and to add a vet for depth at the right price would be great.

You want it to get back to football then don't make antagonizing comments.