SportsWrath

This team looks like its going on a run

osi724dasack

I saw this thread and didn't want to be the one to be the pessimist, glad to see others were up for the cause. This team has the potential to go on a run of super bowl visits and so do half the other teams in the NFL.

If there is one thing I'm happy to finally start seeing it is the team finally playing up to expectations and putting a consistent effort up since Coughlin has taken over to win. This team has been in a funk for 20 years, following up their successes with utter failures.

It is the path that is now behind us that I hope will give this team the strength to meet the challenges before them. There is nothing harder in the NFL than repeating success and even those organizations that writers are now calling franchises of the decade struggle with it.

Don't let Lubeck hear you say that! It's not statistical and merely shoddy guesswork! :rolleyes:

Don't let Lubeck hear you say that! It's not statistical and merely shoddy guesswork! :rolleyes:

At the risk of validating your ridiculous notions about that topic I am going to say this; I don't give a crap about the Giants post-SB records or how it might affect the Giants this coming season. Really, I don't, so get over that argument. That entire topic was about a type of journalistic analysis that is totally frivolous and is nothing more than word-count filler.

But I don't expect you to be able to reach that kind of an intellectual level since you can't even differentiate between a team and an organization.

I saw this thread and didn't want to be the one to be the pessimist, glad to see others were up for the cause. This team has the potential to go on a run of super bowl visits and so do half the other teams in the NFL.

If there is one thing I'm happy to finally start seeing it is the team finally playing up to expectations and putting a consistent effort up since Coughlin has taken over to win. This team has been in a funk for 20 years, following up their successes with utter failures.

It is the path that is now behind us that I hope will give this team the strength to meet the challenges before them. There is nothing harder in the NFL than repeating success and even those organizations that writers are now calling franchises of the decade struggle with it.

We've been in a funk since 1988?

We've been making miserable personnel decisions until recently, sending us deep into mediocrity for 13 or so years--that I agree with. We've also dealt with an insane amount of season ending injuries for a 3 year period this decade. But I don't know if I would call it a "funk," since we weren't completely unsuccessful, either.

I agree we currently have potential, but we also have the toughest division in the league to contend with. No way would I predict anything in the NFC East.

It is shoddy. Looking back on events occuring in other superbowls would only have meaning if the same players were participating. How many players are left from the 2000 bowl, let alone the other two?

I don't think him going backwards on a couple of plays means he's afraid of contact. He knows he's very fast and by take 2 steps back to avoid getting tackled, he can more than make up for it. That's what I saw.

Also, I'd like to see what he can do returning kicks. He has the same body type the Jets' KR has.

Return kicks? Ouch Nas, we've already seen that. And Sinorice was HORRIBLE at it. He definitely has a fear of contact, it showed more on kick returns than it did on those silly slip screens they keep trying to run with him.

Knowing that he's a bit of a puss, I will say that he should be running more routes downfield. He's short, but he's got the quicks to get more than enough separation to make up for it. And if I were him, I'd rather corners and safeties trying to bring me down from behind than linebackers and safeties coming at me going forward.

I don't know, Tyrone had one 1000 yard rushing season...he was pretty much a big bust...I think his average ypc is 3.5 yards....

He was hardly on the field. Was never allowed to catch his stride. He did very well in Oakland.

At the risk of validating your ridiculous notions about that topic I am going to say this; I don't give a crap about the Giants post-SB records or how it might affect the Giants this coming season. Really, I don't, so get over that argument. That entire topic was about a type of journalistic analysis that is totally frivolous and is nothing more than word-count filler.

But I don't expect you to be able to reach that kind of an intellectual level since you can't even differentiate between a team and an organization.

All I asked you was why you didn't complain when the people on this board did the same thing(along with the millions of fans and analysts who see it happen EVERY year)...it has nothing to do with the difference between a team and an organization. All he said is that is what historically happens. Which it does...to nearly every team. Now, I guess you can't call a historical recurrence a "stat" so I concede on that point.

He was hardly on the field. Was never allowed to catch his stride. He did very well in Oakland.

No dude...he was pretty terrible for them too...pretty much a bust all the way.

1999 Raiders 16 242 936 3.9 8 21 196 9.3 3

2000 Raiders 14 232 1,046 4.5 9 20 156 7.8 1

2001 Raiders 12 88 276 3.1 5 12 61 5.1 1

2002 Raiders 14 108 429 3.9 2 12 71 5.9 0

2003 Raiders 15 159 678 4.3 4 12 120 10 0

2004 Raiders 8 85 327 3.8 4 15 78 5.2 0

TOTAL 124 1270 4,962 3.9 40 125 900 7.2 7

Raider's years.... it's hard to read...he was a career 3.9 Yard average back...who eclipsed 1000 yards once...I guess you could make the argument his career was already on the downslide when he joined Oakland...but he still never produced. He was almost as bad as Jarrod Bunch.

No dude...he was pretty terrible for them too...pretty much a bust all the way.

1999 Raiders 16 242 936 3.9 8 21 196 9.3 3

2000 Raiders 14 232 1,046 4.5 9 20 156 7.8 1

2001 Raiders 12 88 276 3.1 5 12 61 5.1 1

2002 Raiders 14 108 429 3.9 2 12 71 5.9 0

2003 Raiders 15 159 678 4.3 4 12 120 10 0

2004 Raiders 8 85 327 3.8 4 15 78 5.2 0

TOTAL 124 1270 4,962 3.9 40 125 900 7.2 7

Raider's years.... it's hard to read...he was a career 3.9 Yard average back...who eclipsed 1000 yards once...I guess you could make the argument his career was already on the downslide when he joined Oakland...but he still never produced. He was almost as bad as Jarrod Bunch.

I'll concede I didn't know his stats but it seems he was on the highlights on ESPN every week.. a far cry from when he was on the sidelines for the Giants.

i can see them going 6-10 as much as i can see them winning the superbowl. no supporting evidence specific to the team is required--this is the NFL and anything can happen, that's why so many people bet on it

I think the notion that Moss runs backwards is somewhat overblown. He did it a couple times, and those few times seem to disproportionately resonate in the collective memory. If you went back and watched the tape of his catches (don't worry, it's a short tape), you'll find that he only ran backwards a few times, sometimes because he was already coming back to the ball to make a reception -- after all, we threw him a steady amount of 10-yard hooks because CBs played so far off of him. He had five catches in his last game against Washington, none of which were followed by him running backwards...

he was definitely better for them then he was for us...I think we still had Rodney Hampton at that time, too...so I mean, it wasn't like we were going to replace Hampton with him(though that was prolly the plan)...I just remember Wheatley being completely unable to catch a pass out of the backfield and often times tip toeing through a hole a la Dayne and getting stuffed on 3rd and short....

Jarrod Bunch wasn't necessarily bad. He just caught the acting bug.

we were trying to turn our backfield into a two headed monster, too, right? Bunch at fullback was going to be featured on some drives, if I remember right....

i can see them going 6-10 as much as i can see them winning the superbowl. no supporting evidence specific to the team is required--this is the NFL and anything can happen, that's why so many people bet on it

6-10 is a stretch for me. I don't think these Giants can do worse than 9-7 this year.

he was definitely better for them then he was for us...I think we still had Rodney Hampton at that time, too...so I mean, it wasn't like we were going to replace Hampton with him(though that was prolly the plan)...I just remember Wheatley being completely unable to catch a pass out of the backfield and often times tip toeing through a hole a la Dayne and getting stuffed on 3rd and short....

Understandable. I guess it was a case of the grass is greener on the other side for me. I saw the hightlights on ESPN compared to watching entire games when he played for the Giants.

6-10 is a stretch for me. I don't think these Giants can do worse than 9-7 this year.

all it takes is a few bad bounces and key injuries. how many people were calling baltimore a super bowl contender this time last year?

we were trying to turn our backfield into a two headed monster, too, right? Bunch at fullback was going to be featured on some drives, if I remember right....

Yep, so I guess we were a bit ahead of the times in that regard. But then Bunch decided he wanted to be typecast as a security guard with minimal dialogue in a bunch of low-budget BET movies...

all it takes is a few bad bounces and key injuries. how many people were calling baltimore a super bowl contender this time last year?

I guess you're right. A remote possibility though.

Yep, so I guess we were a bit ahead of the times in that regard. But then Bunch decided he wanted to be typecast as a security guard with minimal dialogue in a bunch of low-budget BET movies...

hahaha, that's what he ended up doing?

His resume from IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120349/

I neglected to mention that sometimes, if he's done adequate preparation, his acting range extends from "security guard" to "bouncer." Check it out.

damn, what was it with us and Michigan running backs!? And then the Raiders taking them both our busts off our hands!

damn, what was it with us and Michigan running backs!? And then the Raiders taking them both our busts off our hands!

We should have drafted Mike Hart for the sake of experimentation. By 2010, he could have been anything from a well-liked but provincial lounge singer to a minor league hockey player. He even could have been cast alongside Bunch in the final installment of the Soul Plane trilogy as "Security Guard #2"...

We should have drafted Mike Hart for the sake of experimentation. By 2010, he could have been anything from a well-liked but provincial lounge singer to a minor league hockey player. He even could have been cast alongside Bunch in the final installment of the Soul Plane trilogy as "Security Guard #2"...

...Or host his own version of Survivorman on BET...