SportsWrath

Bryan Kehl

BleedinBlue

Kehl drafted by the N.Y. Giants

Darnell Dickson - DAILY HERALD

Bryan Kehl is going from the Mountain West Conference champions to the World Champions of the NFL.

The former BYU and Brighton High standout was selected as the 24th pick in the fourth round by the Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Sunday. Kehl was the 123rd player chosen overall, the seventh outside linebacker selected and the fourth player picked from the Mountain West Conference on the second day of the draft. For the second straight year, only one player was chosen from BYU, which won its second straight MWC title in 2007.

Kehl said he was excited to be going to a winner.

"I wouldn't want it any other way," he said. "It's great to be able to come from a team on top, go to a team on top and work towards doing it again."

Kehl said he had a formal interview with Giants at the NFL Combine in March and he felt it went okay. He also felt like the Giants would be a good team with which to start his NFL experience.

"To be honest, we had a little bet going before the draft," Kehl said, "and I picked the Giants. The reason I called it wasn't so much that the interview went well or that they were interested. It was more of a combination of a good place for me, a good fit and a good opportunity."

That opportunity may come sooner than later. Only one starter returns at linebacker for the Giants in 2008: Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce. Two other starters left during the offseason. Kawika Mitchell signed with Buffalo while fellow starter Reggie Torbor departed for Miami. The Giants signed veteran Danny Clark but obviously need help at this position.

Kehl said he was home Sunday afternoon when the call came. He talked to Giants coach Tom Coughlin and spent about 20 minutes chatting with Giants linebackers coach Bill Sheridan.

"He talked about my athleticism and playmaking ability," Kehl said. "He said he thought I had a good nose for the ball and good character and maturity."

While Kehl has played in a 3-4 system at BYU, the Giants play a 4-3 scheme.

"It'll be totally different, but the linebackers coach said I was athletic and I would be fine," Kehl said.

Kehl, who said he's never been to New York, will make his first trip for Giants mini-camp on May 8.

"I feel like I will be able to go in and make an immediate impact on special teams and then work my way in to the rotation," Kehl said.

"It's honestly a privilege and an honor to be drafted by the Giants. I'm looking forward to getting out there".

"My family is pumped, we're all really excited. It's been a long road, but this is really a dream come true."

Kehl's BYU teammate, linebacker Kelly Poppinga, wasn't drafted but received free agent offers from Seattle and Miami.

"It was a tough decision," Poppinga said. "They both had identical offers and I was really leaning towards Seattle, but at the last second, and I mean literally at the last second, I decided to sign with Miami. If was a really tough decision and I really liked Seattle. Ultimately, I think Miami is the better fit."

Poppinga will join former BYU quarterback John Beck and former Cougar defensive end John Denney in Miami.

991c5bc9ba.jpg

Bryan Kehl BYU Cougars

Yes, as a back-up he took over Kiwi's spot after he was injured.

The 'we lost two starting LBs' just bugs the hell out of me. We lost one starter and one back-up.

Oh, I hear ya. I'm just thinking thats what they we're thinking.

Theyre nimrods, whaddya expect?