SportsWrath

Undrafted Free Agents signed by Giants

BleedinBlue

Added DT Eric Butler - Washburn__6-2 300 lbs__40yd: n/a, to the list

Here's a story on him. If he makes the team....it will be a miracle - not unlike the one in the movie, "Rookie" where Dennis Quaid makes a professional baseball team after he should have given up on the idea.

Regardless....an interesting story.

Butler battles to extend career at Washburn

Topeka Capital-Journal, The, Aug 30, 2007

Forgive Eric Butler if, due to his excitement, he messed up on a play or two.

Butler, a defensive tackle at Washburn, played a college football game last week for the first time since 2005. His story is one of dedication and perseverance and, some would say, unjust treatment.

His story involves a marriage, a baby, three previous colleges and a court battle with the NCAA.

The NCAA may have won the legal battle, which prevented Butler from playing a second season for the Kansas Jayhawks last year, but he emerged victorious by suiting up for the Ichabods.

"It was a good feeling to play again," Butler, who had one tackle in Washburn's 34-24 loss to Chadron State, said Wednesday. "I was a little over-excited and sometimes I forgot my assignment and jumped out of my gap trying to make plays. But it was definitely a great feeling to be back on the field."

Washburn is the fourth college and third football team for Butler in seven years.

After graduating from Kansas City (Mo.) Northeast High School in 2001, he and his wife, Chantel, had a daughter they named Angelina. That changed his plans athletically and he enrolled at DeVry Institute in Kansas City.

"I had planned on playing football, but when our daughter was born my wife and I decided we wanted to stay closer to home," he said. "DeVry was 15 minutes from my house. The adjustment was me not playing football and going to a technical university."

He did not attend school in 2002, working and taking care of his daughter. In 2003 he returned to college and played football at Avila, an NAIA school in Kansas City.

"That was a good chance, but they had me at tight end and I was uncomfortable at that position," Butler said. "I wanted to play fullback but it didn't work out with our offense. But I was happy to be playing football."

At 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, Butler's talents were above the NAIA level and in 2005 he transferred to KU with junior eligibility. He played in all 12 games on the defensive line for the Jayhawks, making 12 tackles.

"I think I had a good year," he said. "We made it to a bowl game (Fort Worth Bowl) and the entire experience at KU was a lot of fun."

Then the fun stopped.

As he prepared for his senior season in 2006, the NCAA ruled him ineligible under the five years to play four policy. Butler's eligibility clock began in 2001 at DeVry and the NCAA ruled his time had expired.

He challenged the NCAA in court with a unique defense. He contended the NCAA should give men a "pregnancy waiver" similar to a clause that permits women to gain a one-year extension to their five- year eligibility. Butler claimed the year he took off in 2002 should not count on his clock.

Ultimately, a U.S. District Court judge ruled against him, as did the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee. His appeal process was exhausted in August 2006.

Confidentiality clauses from the suit prevent Butler from discussing the case.

"I can't go into any detail, but it has been an ordeal," he said.

However, the fight wasn't over. He found a loophole.

In Division II, the eligibility clock is different from Division I. In Division II, student-athletes have 10 semesters of full-time enrollment to compete no matter how many years it spans. So, after graduating from KU last spring with a degree in economics, Butler found he could play another year.

"Last year when it appeared he wasn't going to be able to play at Kansas, we inquired about him playing here," Ichabods coach Craig Schurig said. "We did all the right things through the NCAA to do that. He wanted to graduate from KU and see what happened. When you graduate and have eligibility left, you can utilize it. That's the rule we've utilized.

"He's been through a lot. He's a very mature and dedicated young man and we're pleased he's here."

Butler is No. 2 on the depth chart at defensive tackle, helping fill the void of Trey Lewis, a sixth-round NFL draft pick of the Atlanta Falcons. Playing for only the third year in five seasons, he's still shaking off some rust.

"He's strong and his speed and quickness are superior," Schurig said. "As the season goes on, he's going to be a tremendous player. He doesn't have the raw power of Trey but he has more speed and finesse to his game. The (NFL) scouts looked at him last week and I'm sure they'll keep watching him."

For now, the 24-year-old husband and father is happy to again be a college football player.

His motivation: "The desire not to be a quitter," he explained.

"I don't want to look back on my life and have regrets to say, 'What if I had done this when I was young and able to do those things.' That has driven some of my decisions to keep trying."

No one will ever call Eric Butler a quitter.

note: Wallace Gilberry refused Giants offer and then signed with the Redskins. Must be he figured it was a waste of time trying to make a team that already has Strahan, Umenyura, Tuck, and Kiwanuka and that he had a lot better chance of making a team that actually needed DE help.

I wonder what our plans for John Henderson are then? He has pretty good size and speed supposedly.

I wonder what our plans for John Henderson are then? He has pretty good size and speed supposedly.

You mean Robert Henderson, our last draft choice? :confused:

Personally, I think Henderson is slated for the practice team and will be groomed for the future. I think Hall and Wallace have a better chance at making the final team than he does. But who knows....it would be nice to know what is going through Spag's mind. I guarantee he has a plan and the defensive guys that have been drafted and brought in are done so for a reason.

The one thing I can say after this draft....is that TC and Spags want this team to be a defensive monster. And hey....I'm all for that. Our defensive backfield is younger, bigger, faster, stronger, meaner, harder hitting and smarter than it was a week ago.

Offensively we did little other than throw a couple of wild WR's into the mix and a high end quarterback to groom. We focused almost entirely on making this team stronger on the defensive side of the ball. And never forget, defense wins games!

You mean Robert Henderson, our last draft choice? :confused:

Personally, I think Henderson is slated for the practice team and will be groomed for the future. I think Hall and Wallace have a better chance at making the final team than he does. But who knows....it would be nice to know what is going through Spag's mind. I guarantee he has a plan and the defensive guys that have been drafted and brought in are done so for a reason.

Oh, yeah, I mean Robert.

But, do you mean WALLACE GILBERRY? He signed with Wash.

Good point....nope, I meant Warrick, duhhhh. How's that...I correct you, you correct me. We're like a team!

Go team go! :P

I'm pumped, its another good draft for an already good team. Man, I hope this is the start of a dynasty. Not trying to get ahead of myself, but we're on to something special. They're mostly young.

I'm gonna call it right now. My hidden gem will be either LB Goff or WR DJ Hall. Wether it be SP teams or Off. and Def. they'll make an impact.

Just bringing the list forward to the second page. We now have 12 players (the amount Reese said we were bringing in), which completes the list unless someone is cut and added.

This list will grow in the following days, but this is what I've found so far:

1 - OL Andrew Bain - Miami__6-3, 344lbs__40yd: 5.0_(Scout.com 4 star rating)

2 - OL Glenn "Digger" Bujnoch - Cincinnati__6-5, 280lbs_40yd: n/a

3 - DE Wallace Gilberry - Alabama__6-4, 263lbs__40yd: n/a

4 - DE Antonio Reynolds - Tennessee__6-3, 245lbs__40yd: n/a

5 - S Nehemiah Warrick - Michigan State__6-1, 215lbs__40yd: 4.60

----[Edit 1:42PM 4/28]----

6 - DT Nate Robinson (not the Knick point guard) - Akron__6-4, 320lbs__40yd: 4.96

----[Edit 2:12PM 4/28]----

7 - OT Dylan Thiry - Northwestern__6-8 315lbs__40yd: n/a (Three-year starter left tackle - named to All Big 10 second team)

8 - OT Carnell Stewart - LSU__6-5 311lbs__40yd: n/a (Three year starter as a "defensive tackle", moved to "offensive tackle" senior year enroute to national championship)

----[Edit 6:42PM 4/28]----

9 - WR D.J. Hall - Alabama__6-3 198 lbs__40yd: 4.48 (rated as 3rd round pick - can make circus catches and plays vertically or horizontally - can stretch the field - some off field issues)

----[Edit 5:47AM 4/29]----

10 - OLB Kenwin Cummings - Wingate__6-2 270 lbs__40yd: 4.75 (played DE at small school, but is trying out for linebacker as a SAM)

----[Edit 3:00PM 4/29]----

11 - DT Eric Butler - Washburn__6-2 300 lbs__40yd: n/a

----[Edit 5:20AM 4/30]----

12 - DT Josh Muse - Louisiana Tech__6-3, 315 lbs__40yd: n/a

13 - P/K Owen Tolson - Army__6-2, 211lbs__40yd: n/a (strong and accurate leg - shows ability to directional punt inside 20 yd line - very accurate - never had a punt blocked in 4 yr career at West Point)

----[Edit 1:05PM 4/30]----

14 - DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo - Michigan State__6-4, 290 lbs__40yd: n/a

note: Wallace Gilberry refused Giants offer and then signed with the Redskins. Must be he figured it was a waste of time trying to make a team that already has Strahan, Umenyura, Tuck, and Kiwanuka and that he had a lot better chance of making a team that actually needed DE help.

Apparantly, the Giants ended up beating out Washington for Gilberry's services as reported in another post

Daniel Snyder gave him a 5 year contract worth $30 million with $24 million guarenteed, and a $10 million signing bonus.

Which according to Snyder, is the going rate for a UFA Rookie.

Danny has kind of scared me this off season. No big FA signings, no draft day trades giving away picks--very un-Snyderlike behavior. I can only hope that this is because he was so tight against the cap this year, and not that he turned over a new leaf.

After doing things his way over a decade with only the occasional wild-card birth to show for it, even he might have figured out that his way isn't working. That would be bad.

Go team go! :P

I'm pumped, its another good draft for an already good team. Man, I hope this is the start of a dynasty. Not trying to get ahead of myself, but we're on to something special. They're mostly young.

I'm gonna call it right now. My hidden gem will be either LB Goff or WR DJ Hall. Wether it be SP teams or Off. and Def. they'll make an impact.

My hidden gem is Kenny Phillips.

This just in......I do not know the accuracy of this. It's from NorthJersey.com's "True Blue" section

Clearing it up: The Giants, not the Redskins, have signed free agent defensive end Wallace Gilberry from Alabama. There is some discrepancies in internet reports. And while the Giants have not announced the signing it has occurred, trust me.

Added Michigan St. DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo (pronounced: oh-GIM-dee new-WOW-bo) to the list.

That makes 14 UDFA's even though according to the rules, we can only bring in 12 if we keep our current roster.

On the other hand, Tyree is already on the disabled list having just gone through surgery and it is likely that Wright or some other obvious player that won't be on the team this season will be cut before next week's spring training opens (May 9-12)

Danny has kind of scared me this off season. No big FA signings, no draft day trades giving away picks--very un-Snyderlike behavior. I can only hope that this is because he was so tight against the cap this year, and not that he turned over a new leaf.

After doing things his way over a decade with only the occasional wild-card birth to show for it, even he might have figured out that his way isn't working. That would be bad.

Fish, don't forget that the Skins did make an offer for Chad Johnson, so it wasn't for the want of trying.

Anyway, he did such an ass backwards job handling his head coach hiring, I think that's enough drama. Somewhere Jim Fassel is sticking pins into a Snyder doll.

Added Michigan St. DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo (pronounced: oh-GIM-dee new-WOW-bo) to the list.

That makes 14 UDFA's even though according to the rules, we can only bring in 12 if we keep our current roster.

On the other hand, Tyree is already on the disabled list having just gone through surgery and it is likely that Wright or some other obvious player that won't be on the team this season will be cut before next week's spring training opens (May 9-12)

Disabled list? Spring training?? It really is baseball season!

Disabled list? Spring training?? It really is baseball season!

Yeah, yeah....you're right. Got too many baseball terminology in my head from being an old baseball player. What I meant was "injured reserve" and "rookie camp" ;)

The reason I didnt chose Phillips, is it seems obvious. I dont know if a 1st round pick would be a surprise, a hidden gem.

haha yah, you're right...but i'm psyched about him!

haha yah, you're right...but i'm psyched about him!

Yeah, me too. This was actually kind of a for sure draft if you will, I cant see how Phillips could be any worse than what we had back there already. Safety was a pressing need and Im sure he or a combination of what we already have cant be any worse. But a LB is going to have to prove he can be on the field, and I feel Goff will make an impact and see time on the field. I have a funny feeling about Hall too.

Fish, don't forget that the Skins did make an offer for Chad Johnson, so it wasn't for the want of trying.

Anyway, he did such an ass backwards job handling his head coach hiring, I think that's enough drama. Somewhere Jim Fassel is sticking pins into a Snyder doll.

You're right, we'll always have Jim Zorn. :)

It's no small achievement to start with that coaching staff, add in Fassel, and wind up with a guy that doesn't even get the team colors correct.

I'm sure there might be some 'Skins fans breaking out the straight pins.

You're right, we'll always have Jim Zorn. :)

It's no small achievement to start with that coaching staff, add in Fassel, and wind up with a guy that doesn't even get the team colors correct.

I'm sure there might be some 'Skins fans breaking out the straight pins.

Is it just me, but I see no future with Jason Campbell as QB of that team. I don't think he's that good, and is another example of how the Skins simply can't pick QB's.

Is it just me, but I see no future with Jason Campbell as QB of that team. I don't think he's that good, and is another example of how the Skins simply can't pick QB's.

Recently maybe. I remember D. Williams, J Schraeder and M Rypien whoopin our asses a few times en route to SB's. <_<

isn't Rypien considered a bust by modern standards...? my dad is a die hard skins fan and hates that guy

How can he hate someone who brought him a SB?

Actually, Im not sure if Schraeder won one now that I think about it, but the other two did.

I think it was more the fact he spent two years on IR, came out first year as a starter, did some shit, had a good season, then, they gave him a big contract and his era ended because the team and himself got too old.

but he was a 6th rounder so I guess its really impossible to say he was a bust. My pops just hates him with a passion.