SportsWrath

Mario Manningham perhaps?

boohyah

I'm excited that we were able to land Manningham. But it's also a "hold your breath" deal. He could become a total waste of our 3rd pick or become one of the most exciting players in the NFL. Personally, I think it's a coin flip which way he goes. Please be heads, please be heads!!!!!

What were his off-field issues?

Smoking weed in college......whoop-de-doo.

I knew of Manningham before the draft, but didn't closely follow his time at Michigan. But a good friend of mine is a Michigan alumni who follows them religiously (goes to every home game, follows them alot on the road too, and always watches their games).

I asked him this morning about the pick. He thought Manningham was a tremendous pick, especially in the 3rd round. According to him, Manningham has good size, very good speed, excellent hands, and tremendous leaping ability. He always fights for the ball, and gets open. He's definitely a dangerous long ball threat.

He said, "I don't know about his route running, but basically, if you tell him to tear ass downfield and catch the bomb, he'll catch it. The Giants just got a young Amani Toomer."

Smoking weed in college......whoop-de-doo.

I knew of Manningham before the draft, but didn't closely follow his time at Michigan. But a good friend of mine is a Michigan alumni who follows them religiously (goes to every home game, follows them alot on the road too, and always watches their games).

I asked him this morning about the pick. He thought Manningham was a tremendous pick, especially in the 3rd round. According to him, Manningham has good size, very good speed, excellent hands, and tremendous leaping ability. He always fights for the ball, and gets open. He's definitely a dangerous long ball threat.

He said, "I don't know about his route running, but basically, if you tell him to tear ass downfield and catch the bomb, he'll catch it. The Giants just got a young Amani Toomer."

Sounds more like a Plaxico Burress.

I'm really not impressed with this pickup. It looks good when you think he's a first round talent found in the third. When you consider the reasons he dropped from the first to the third, I get the feeling he will not even look like a third round talent in training camp this year or the next.

Its not the off-field issues, I question his work ethic. You can half-ass it at the college level when you're physically better than your opponent and clearly the better receiver on the team; its a whole new game at the NFL level.

Whether or not he lights a fire under Sinorice Moss is subject to debate. It was a slightly smarter choice than Moss was simply because Manningham actually can do the little things like help the return game that Moss never has.

I've seen every game that Mario has ever played in, and he's probably the most physically talented WR in the draft. Very similar skill-set to Marvin Harrison. But there's a deficit between his talent and his effort. He also was a big-time prima donna during the season when Ryan Mallet stepped in for an injured Chad Henne. Factor in his problems with drugs (failed two tests at U-M, then lied about it), and you can figure out why he slid.

If the Giants are confident that his problems are behind him and he will conform to a high-achievement environment with several positive mentors, then this will turn out to be a fantastic pick. Lloyd Carr had some very encouraging words about Mario, which is promising since he and Mario didn't always see eye-to-eye.

I've seen every game that Mario has ever played in, and he's probably the most physically talented WR in the draft. Very similar skill-set to Marvin Harrison. But there's a deficit between his talent and his effort. He also was a big-time prima donna during the season when Ryan Mallet stepped in for an injured Chad Henne. Factor in his problems with drugs (failed two tests at U-M, then lied about it), and you can figure out why he slid.

If the Giants are confident that his problems are behind him and he will conform to a high-achievement environment with several positive mentors, then this will turn out to be a fantastic pick. Lloyd Carr had some very encouraging words about Mario, which is promising since he and Mario didn't always see eye-to-eye.

If it were any other team(to the best of my knowledge) then I d say no. But the Giants are notorious for having an org that can turn players around and thier ability to judge this type of character is very good. Remember Christian Peter? Kerry Collins resurected his career playing for us too. I believe in The org.

What were his off-field issues?

It wasn't his "smoking weed", it was his getting busted for having someone else's pills, getting caught twice with pot, etc. But the big deal was is that he was asked about it at the combine by NFL execs and he flat out denied (lied) ever taking drugs. Once he realized how stupid it was to deny doing drugs when everyone already knew he had tested positive a couple times and had an arrest record, he sat down and wrote a letter apologizing for lying and sent it to every team before the draft. A lot of teams crossed him right off their list altogether because no one wanted to deal with someone who was dishonest to them.

His mistake cost him millions of dollars (the difference between first round pick and third round). He's lucky he didn't fall further and lose even more money.

Don't get me wrong, I like the pick and hope it works out well for us. It's just that his "off field issues" were quite a bit more than simply "smokin some weed", which pretty much includes all college kids and isn't considered that big of a deal.

If it were any other team(to the best of my knowledge) then I d say no. But the Giants are notorious for having an org that can turn players around and thier ability to judge this type of character is very good. Remember Christian Peter? Kerry Collins resurected his career playing for us too. I believe in The org.

I don't know that Christian Peter is a good example...didn't he suck AND beat women?

Hey Woofer, you should have lookedup his background. He is 6 foot, weighs 178 lbs., and played for a Big 10 team that always plays a great many tough teams. Last year, Mario had 72 receptions for 1,174 yds (avg. of 16 yds. Where did you obtain that derogotory information that you posted about him? (small, slow, poor routes, poor character, dumb) Are you our resident Mel Kiper?

Like I said, I was venting - this is someone I have a bad feeling about, and specifically didn't want him. And I'm done trashing the guy. But if you want to talk facts and background, during the draft they said 5'11", give or take a fraction of an inch. And either way, you're splitting hairs because a 4.6 40 is pretty shitty for someone that size, and 178 is, for an athlete, frail for his height. Has he never lifted a weight in his life?

The 'derogatory info' isn't some secret, thats basically what every scouting report I've seen says about him...with the caveat that he's supposedly naturally gifted, he just hasn't applied himself. He vastly improved on his 40 yard dash at his pro day, but his short shuttle, which IMO is more important as it gives us a measurable for getting in and out of cuts, was still terrible - 4.38.

Now we'll see if our guys can find a way to keep him motivated. Who knows,

Like I said, I was venting - this is someone I have a bad feeling about, and specifically didn't want him. And I'm done trashing the guy. But if you want to talk facts and background, during the draft they said 5'11", give or take a fraction of an inch. And either way, you're splitting hairs because a 4.6 40 is pretty shitty for someone that size, and 178 is, for an athlete, frail for his height. Has he never lifted a weight in his life?

The 'derogatory info' isn't some secret, thats basically what every scouting report I've seen says about him...with the caveat that he's supposedly naturally gifted, he just hasn't applied himself. He vastly improved on his 40 yard dash at his pro day, but his short shuttle, which IMO is more important as it gives us a measurable for getting in and out of cuts, was still terrible - 4.38.

Now we'll see if our guys can find a way to keep him motivated. Who knows,

Trust me, he has wheels. Check out that highlight reel, or the highlights from the UM-Florida bowl game. He cuts on a dime.

I also believe he weighed in at 188, which isn't that small. It's heavier than a lot of successful pro WRs, i.e. Marvin Harrison, who is the best pro comparison.

Trust me, he has wheels. Check out that highlight reel, or the highlights from the UM-Florida bowl game. He cuts on a dime.

I also believe he weighed in at 188, which isn't that small. It's heavier than a lot of successful pro WRs, i.e. Marvin Harrison, who is the best pro comparison.

I don't know that Christian Peter is a good example...didn't he suck AND beat women?

He didn't suck, and he beat woman BEFORE he came to the Giants. In college. Thats my point, is he was a risk because of the incidents in college. He straightened up while on the Giants. Was a pretty decent run stuffer,

He didn't suck, and he beat woman BEFORE he came to the Giants. In college. Thats my point, is he was a risk because of the incidents in college. He straightened up while on the Giants. Was a pretty decent run stuffer,

eh, i dont know man, i remember him not being too great...his stats aren't very good either...

I agree, you also have to consider that they're always going to assume that the WR we drafted is going to replace the oldest one. I'm surprised that they haven't mentioned Robert Henderson is being groomed to replace Michael Strahan. :huh:

Is it just me, or dont we already have a mini Toomer? (Smith)

I agree, you also have to consider that they're always going to assume that the WR we drafted is going to replace the oldest one. I'm surprised that they haven't mentioned Robert Henderson is being groomed to replace Michael Strahan. :huh:

Its probably because we're so loaded at DE. I thought Tuck was that person?

Smith is probably best suited as a slot receiver.

And I'm sure he would be great as a slot receiver. But wasn't he only used as in the slot because we already had an X and Y rec. (Burress, Toomer)? I mean, he reminds me of Toomer alot and I thought he was being groomed to fill his shoes.

And I'm sure he would be great as a slot receiver. But wasn't he only used as in the slot because we already had an X and Y rec. (Burress, Toomer)? I mean, he reminds me of Toomer alot and I thought he was being groomed to fill his shoes.

No not really, Manningham is better suited on the outside...didn't you read Jerry

Reese's interview in some of the newspaper links guys have posted on here?