SportsWrath

High End Players that Might be Available at #31

BleedinBlue

This is from Giants 101 MVN.....a pretty good read.

Probably half the guys listed will be gone by the time the Giants draft, but a few should still be on the board.

Players Who May Be On the Board At #31

By Rich O'Callaghan | April 8th, 2008

When the Giants are on the clock with the 31st pick at the end of the first round, who will still be on the board? Here are a few players that could still be available, they appear in no particular order, this is not a big board or ranking:

• Kenny Phillips, S - Miami -Safety is the Giants biggest need, since Gibril Wilson left for a big payday in Oakland. Sammy Knight was signed as a stop gap, but there is no doubt that the Giants need youth at the position. Phillips is a player who has all of the talent in the world, however he is yet to consistently put it together in the field. He is a player that could step in and play right away, who could still be on the board at #31.
  • Reggie Smith, DB - Oklahoma -Smith is a versatile defensive back, who played both cornerback and safety in college. He is probably is best suited for the free safety spot in the NFL, and is a sold all around player who can contribute to the defense right away.
  • Jerod Mayo, LB - Tennessee - Mayo is a player whose stock has been rising every day. He is a big linebacker who can play all three linebacker spots. He is a solid tackler with sideline to sideline speed. It now looks like he may be off of the board when the Giants select, but there is a chance he is available.
  • Goster Cherilus, OT - Boston College -Cherilus is a massive tackle prospect who projects to the right side in the NFL. He is a powerful run blocker and a solid pass protector who struggled with speed rushers at times. The Giants have expressed interest in Cherilus throughout the draft process.
  • Mike Jenkins, CB - UCF -Jenkins is a player that has started to slide by no fault of his own. The emergence of Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Leodis McKelvin may force Jenkins to drop. He may not be on the board when the Giants select, but there is a chance he fall into their laps.
  • Dan Connor, LB - Penn St - Sean wrote a nice piece on why the Giants should not select Connor, and I agree with him. Many of the “experts” have the Giants picking Connor, but I think he is a second rounder. Really the only true linebacker who will definitely be selected in round one is USC’s Keith Rivers. Mayo and Connor each have a shot at being first round picks.
  • Tracy Porter - CB, Indiana - Porter is a great cover corner, who can really help in the return game and on special teams. You have to question if the Giants would draft Porter, because he is not physical, and you have to be for Spagnuolo’s defense.
  • Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona -I am going to get ripped on this site for saying this, but I believe I am right. Cason will not be a first round pick. I know a lot of readers think the Giants should look at Cason in the first round, but I think he is best suited for a cover two scheme, and I have him projected as a second rounder to Tampa Bay or Indianapolis.
  • Justin King, CB - Penn State -King was a top talent coming out of high school, and was solid but unspectacular at Penn State. There is no doubt that the physical ability is there, and King wowed scouts at workouts and the combine. He may be a reach at #31, but I think the talent is there for King to become a great cornerback in the NFL.
  • James Hardy - WR, Indiana - Hardy is a big (6′6 230lbs) athletically gifted wide receiver with good speed. Receiver is not a need for the Giants, so I doubt they call Hardy’s name 31st overall, of course the GMen have surprised us on draft day before.
  • Tyrell Johnson, S - Arkansas State -Johnson is a player I have really started to like. He is a big, fast, physical safety who was the Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year. He is a noted ball hawk who turned heads at the combine and his draft stock is soaring.

The good new for Jerry Reese and company is the Giants do not have a lot of glaring needs going into the draft. The biggest hole is at safety, so if Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith or Tyrell Johnson are still on the board, they would make the most sense. However, the Giants could also surprise us in the first round and look to grab a safety later on, such as DeJuan Morgan from NCST or Joshua Barrett from AZST. This would allow the Giants to grab a corner, linebacker or the best player available in the first round. They could also be looking to move in a trade.

Receiver could very well be a need. Toomer and Burress are in their 30s. And when Burress is gone who is our new big guy?

I'd be happy with a new big reciever to groom for the future....but who knows. If you look at all the players the Giants are bringing in right now for workouts, it's almost all quarterbacks and running backs :confused:

If they get a top notch safety like Mayo, or a future pro-bowl OT like Cherilus, or a great CB or LB....I'd be happy.....actually, I mean ecstatic!

I think it all depends on the Giants strategy for this year. If they are wanting to establish more of a running game....then a big pile mover like Cherilus seems likely. If they are wanting to have a defense that shuts down the opponents air game even more, then I see them going for a CB or safety. I suspect it will have everything to do with who available and what their primary strategy is for this coming year.

When I look at the current pro-bowlers and notice that less than half of them were first round draft picks and more than a dozen weren't even drafted at all....it makes me realize how important all the picks are as well as the undrafted invitees after the draft. Our best player for the next 10 years may be our 5th round draft pick....who knows.

At the end of the draft....we'll have at least 1 Sfty, 1 LB, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 DL, and possibly a kicker. What I don't see is us drafting a QB or RB....that just makes no sense to me. Maybe it's a ploy by the Giants to keep other teams off balance and guessing.

I'd be happy with a new big reciever to groom for the future....but who knows. If you look at all the players the Giants are bringing in right now for workouts, it's almost all quarterbacks and running backs :confused:

If they get a top notch safety like Mayo, or a future pro-bowl OT like Cherilus, or a great CB or LB....I'd be happy.....actually, I mean ecstatic!

I think it all depends on the Giants strategy for this year. If they are wanting to establish more of a running game....then a big pile mover like Cherilus seems likely. If they are wanting to have a defense that shuts down the opponents air game even more, then I see them going for a CB or safety. I suspect it will have everything to do with who available and what their primary strategy is for this coming year.

When I look at the current pro-bowlers and notice that less than half of them were first round draft picks and more than a dozen weren't even drafted at all....it makes me realize how important all the picks are as well as the undrafted invitees after the draft. Our best player for the next 10 years may be our 5th round draft pick....who knows.

At the end of the draft....we'll have at least 1 Sfty, 1 LB, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 DL, and possibly a kicker. What I don't see is us drafting a QB or RB....that just makes no sense to me. Maybe it's a ploy by the Giants to keep other teams off balance and guessing.

Did you mean top notch safety like Phillips or top notch linebacker like Mayo?

What's wrong with taking a later round RB? This is a great draft for RB's and it's not far fetched that one could beat out Droughns or Ward. We were pretty thin with injuries last year. Luckily we had people coming back when others were going down.

Did you mean top notch safety like Phillips or top notch linebacker like Mayo?

Good point weedhop!

No, I meant linebacker.

I like Mayo because he's a year younger than the rest of the crop and faster and more fluid than Conners. Plus, he likes to put a real hurt on the man he tackles. Plus...he's a good blitzing LB'r who fits our scheme. He was flying under the radar (probably because he was a junior last season), but he's no longer a secret. I bet he gets drafted before Conners. :(

Has anyone read that Mario Manningham might drop all the way down because of a few issues? I have read a few mocks that have him going to the Giants or not even going in the first round. The Manning to Manningham might sound nice. We'll have to see.

The good new for Jerry Reese and company is the Giants do not have a lot of glaring needs going into the draft. The biggest hole is at safety, so if Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith or Tyrell Johnson are still on the board, they would make the most sense. However, the Giants could also surprise us in the first round and look to grab a safety later on, such as DeJuan Morgan from NCST or Joshua Barrett from AZST. This would allow the Giants to grab a corner, linebacker or the best player available in the first round. They could also be looking to move in a trade.

ASU! ASU! GO DEVILS!!!

I'd love to have this kid on our squad. ;) Ive met him numerous times, and not only am I impressed by his skills, but he's one hell of a nice guy.

at least they stopped giving us, Dan Connor A.K.A Rudy Jr. don't think so. I was hoping for Mike Jenkins who played a little free safety early at USF and has drawn comparsion to Brian Dawkins, if not him maybe Kenny Phillips who is an all world talent who hasn't played up to expectations under Spags he could be a pro bowler

at least they stopped giving us, Dan Connor A.K.A Rudy Jr. don't think so. I was hoping for Mike Jenkins who played a little free safety early at USF and has drawn comparsion to Brian Dawkins, if not him maybe Kenny Phillips who is an all world talent who hasn't played up to expectations under Spags he could be a pro bowler

you busted your cherry!

welcome aboard.

Welcome to Sportswrath.

Has anyone read that Mario Manningham might drop all the way down because of a few issues? I have read a few mocks that have him going to the Giants or not even going in the first round. The Manning to Manningham might sound nice. We'll have to see.

He'll drop at least into the 2nd round. His "addiction" to marijuana is the worst keep secret on campus. Plus his effort is really inconsistent and he's an immature teammate. Very surprised if he goes in the 1st.

I don't like Safeties in the 1st round.

Not high on 1st round cb's either.

Hopefully we go with a LB.

I'd really love to see us take a natural Linebacker in the 1st round (i.e., not a hybrid/conversion project). I'd like to see a little more speed in our linebacking corps, and I'm not totally sold on Kiwi yet as a full-time LB. And given Strahan's age and contract status, a good linebacker gives us a measure of depth in case Kiwi needs to return to the line.