SportsWrath

NFL Might Impose "Hair" rules

BleedinBlue

Since SS Troy Polamalu of the Steelers was dragged to the ground by his long hair and almost got a broken neck, there has been controversy about how long a player should be allowed to grow their hair.

Apparantly, a few other long haired players have complained about their hair being pulled out while in a tackling situation.

Personally, I hope they instill the rule this year as it looks like they might. I don't think any of the Giants have to be concerned with the possible rule change since McQuarters got himself sheared last year.

I like the rule - anyone disagree - bring it on?

Make tackling by the use of hair a part of the horse collar penalty. Leave people to wear their hair however the hell they want to. Doing that steps into the world of "You have to do this regardless of your religion/nationality" and that's bullshit. Stop making up issues and start solving real issues.

Apparantly, a few other long haired players have complained about their hair being pulled out while in a tackling situation.

Then cut your hair jackasses it flails about behind you where someone might be grabbing at your jersey.

Ban it.

Make tackling by the use of hair a part of the horse collar penalty. Leave people to wear their hair however the hell they want to. Doing that steps into the world of "You have to do this regardless of your religion/nationality" and that's bullshit. Stop making up issues and start solving real issues.

The horse collar is a "stationary" target. The hair flops around behind you. It is perfectly legal to grab the jersey where the hair may be flopping around.

The hair hangs over their name on the back. I think it is perfectly fine to pull on it. It's part of the jersey. They should make them cut it or make them stuff it in their helmet. It gives them an advantage if you try to tackle them but can't because the long hair is in the way.

The horse collar is a "stationary" target. The hair flops around behind you. It is perfectly legal to grab the jersey where the hair may be flopping around.

What I mean is... make it a penalty to tackle someone by their hair and if you don't want to make THAT a penalty by itself just add it to the Horse Collar. This whole thing is comparable to the NBA's Dress Code. They implemented that in order to curb the "issues" of their players and yet Stephen Jackson and others are still getting in trouble. What's the point?

What I mean is... make it a penalty to tackle someone by their hair and if you don't want to make THAT a penalty by itself just add it to the Horse Collar. This whole thing is comparable to the NBA's Dress Code. They implemented that in order to curb the "issues" of their players and yet Stephen Jackson and others are still getting in trouble. What's the point?

<_< obviously sour grapes for the beat down he gave your boys the other night.

The hair hangs over their name on the back. I think it is perfectly fine to pull on it. It's part of the jersey. They should make them cut it or make them stuff it in their helmet. It gives them an advantage if you try to tackle them but can't because the long hair is in the way.

I just can't get with the idea of forcing someone to alter their appearance unless it has to do with something derogatory.

I don't know why this is such a big issue. If players don't want the hair pulled, then cut it. If owners don't want players with long hair on their team. make it a dress code...

Like this players team

Cut your sideburns!!!!!!!

mattingly2.gif

I think it's the current rule that hair must be tucked under the helmet if it longer than a few inches. However, they don't bother to enforce the rule so I don't know why they even have it.

There is nothing illegal about pulling a guy down by his hair. But most players on the offense are fully aware of that so I don't know of any who have it and of course, there's no reason to tackle a defensive player....although, if breaking up a tackle on your own guy, it's fair game.

Personally, I think the hair down to the middle of the back looks ridiculous and my first thought is the guy is looking for attention so he sticks out in the crowd.....as it's nearly impossible to know who is who except by looking at the number on the jersey.

It's funny how these long dreadlocks on athletes only seem to show up in the NFL......well, except Manny Ramirez of the Red Sox. Again....just another attention getting device for the insecure as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's the current rule that hair must be tucked under the helmet if it longer than a few inches. However, they don't bother to enforce the rule so I don't know why they even have it.

There is nothing illegal about pulling a guy down by his hair. But most players on the offense are fully aware of that so I don't know of any who have it and of course, there's no reason to tackle a defensive player....although, if breaking up a tackle on your own guy, it's fair game.

Personally, I think the hair down to the middle of the back looks ridiculous and my first thought is the guy is looking for attention so he sticks out in the crowd.....as it's nearly impossible to know who is who except by looking at the number on the jersey.

It's funny how these long dreadlocks on athletes only seem to show up in the NFL......well, except Manny Ramirez of the Red Sox. Again....just another attention getting device for the insecure as far as I'm concerned.

I recall when the NoFunLeague instituted the penalty for taking off your helmet while on the field. Warren Sapp, at the time, said that they were trying to strip away the individuality of the player and market the league, not the player.

So, some grew the hair to show individuality- I don't really think they are insecure, just letting their freak flag fly.

I just can't get with the idea of forcing someone to alter their appearance unless it has to do with something derogatory.
Does your hair hang down to your ass? Is that why you don't want the NFL to control the length of a players hair?

Does your hair hang down to your ass? Is that why you don't want the NFL to control the length of a players hair?

No (I got a mini fro)... and Why should an organization control the length of a players hair? As Seph said, If the players want to wear their hair like that then they shouldn't complain when it gets pulled. If not, Then they should cut it. If the league wants to make a move to stop players from tackling by the hair make it a penalty. Don't force people to cut their hair over some stupid ass complaints. When the length of someone's hair starts to make people make another player feel demeaned then the league should do something about it. The NFL has other problems to fix... like the year with no Salary Cap coming up. Instead of dealing with trivial bullshit, fix real problems.

A lot of companies have dress codes. Couple that with safety issues, and it doesn't seem unreasonable. Was it McQuarters that cut his hair because his helmet wasn't protecting him properly, or Burress? I remember one of them saying that...

If you remember, Amani used to have a fro, and he cut it because his helmet did not fit properly because of it and made him more susceptible to concussions. I believe he had gotten a concussion because of this.

I don't know, I mean I like short hair and I know that hats and shit don't fit right with big hair so perhaps that's the reason. But if a Polamalu wants to put hair extensions in his hair to make it longer then I say fuck it, he's fair game to have his hair pulled.

A lot of companies have dress codes. Couple that with safety issues, and it doesn't seem unreasonable. Was it McQuarters that cut his hair because his helmet wasn't protecting him properly, or Burress? I remember one of them saying that...

Just look at then way M Barbers helmet is always popping off...same with Shockey when he was sporting long hair.

If is most certainly a safety issue.

The NFL is called the "No Fun League" for a reason...it was only a matter of time.

The thing I bet happens is some of the Samoan players will claim it is a religious or cultural deal.

C. Wagon.

Since SS Troy Polamalu of the Steelers was dragged to the ground by his long hair and almost got a broken neck, there has been controversy about how long a player should be allowed to grow their hair.

Personally, I hope they instill the rule this year as it looks like they might. I don't think any of the Giants have to be concerned with the possible rule change since McQuarters got himself sheared last year.

I like the rule - anyone disagree - bring it on?

I was shocked to know that there was no hair rule. This one is long over-due. Although I think certain players need to contain their hair a little bit to minimize accidental grabbing

If there are going to make a rule, it should be that hair needs to be under the helmet or under the jersey. I'm sure there is a way to stuff a pony tail inside the back of the jersey if people don't want to cut their hair.