SportsWrath

Stupid Draft Question

gmenroc

Nah, not stupid, they changed the draft format this year, shorter times between picks in the 1st round and only 2 rounds selected in day one. Rounds 3 to 7 are on Sunday.

Best move Goddell could ever do is shorten the time from fifteen to ten minutes.

Yeah, I'm in complete agreement on the shortened time between picks too. I'm just glad it seems I'll be able to catch most of it.

Oh, and as for moving round 3 from Saturday to Sunday. Don't think that for two seconds there wasn't $$ involved in that decision. The difference in ratings between Saturday and Sunday was probably pretty substantial. Moving round 3 will increase ratings dramatically on Sunday, while not necessarily decreasing them on Saturday.

I wish they'd shorten the time between picks even more. Every team already knows what they want and what they are looking for. They've been prepared for weeks and have a precise game plan (well....except Minnesota who keeps losing their spot because they don't know what to do). But what kills me, is that they sit there doing nothing as the clock runs out just waiting to see if another team will call looking to trade up or make a deal. It could all be done in 2 to 3 minutes easily. It kills me that the first team to pick uses 15 minutes of clock time when they've known for weeks who they are going to take. As it stands, being the last pick of the first round, we'll have to wait almost 4 hours before the Giants finally walk up to the podium.

I disagree. They shouldn't be compromising the process just to make it a tv event.

It was getting to the point where "the process" was getting out of hand. No way does each team need 15 minutes that desperately.

Draft day is mostly for teams building for the future, but it is a tv event nowadays.

It was getting to the point where "the process" was getting out of hand. No way does each team need 15 minutes that desperately.

Draft day is mostly for teams building for the future, but it is a tv event nowadays.

You sure about that? Ask the Min Vikings if they need 15 minutes to draft a player.

Best move Goddell could ever do is shorten the time from fifteen to ten minutes.

Eh, call me when it's our turn to pick.. I got bigger fish to fry than to sit there and watch teams pick people I never heard of.... I'd rather be doing... nothing. :rolleyes:

Eh, call me when it's our turn to pick.. I got bigger fish to fry than to sit there and watch teams pick people I never heard of.... I'd rather be doing... nothing. :rolleyes:

I missed my cousin's confirmation last year to watch it. It's one

of my favorite days of the year.

I think the part that pisses me off the worse when it comes to watching the draft, is that it's such a long drawn out process. Therefore....the TV is on in the background while I get other things done. I watch the rolling updates whenever I get a chance, but it seems that every single time there's new information about the Giants coming on the screen, they cut to a commercial. It's as if the studio knows that the only time to cut to a commercial is when anything pertinent about the Giants is coming up. I remember one year when the Giants were on the clock and time was running out. You could finally see the guy walking up to the podium and BAM! cut to a commercial. When live TV came back on, the assholes were discussing the Cowboy's wonderful picks that they had already discussed to death a half hour ago. So I am forced to watch the rolling news to try and find out who the Giants picked and you guessed it. Just as they get to the point where we will find out who the Giants picked.....they cut to another fuckin commercial. Makes me steaming mad! :furious:

And of course....all the talking heads want to talk about every team except the Giants and when they do comment on the Giants, it's just a short dialogue in which all of them agree that the Giants made another bad pick.....and of course, then they go right into, "now let's talk more about the Cowboys pick, simply brilliant, best move I've seen in the history of football, aren't the Cowboys something?....blah, blah, fuckin blah".... (we definitely need an emoticon in which a curled hand is going up and down simulating masturbation!! as this is where I'd post it)

In fairness, everyone should have the draft figured out by now. Every team takes their alloted time, (except the Vikings who go over), but in general, you are getting on average this year, 6 picks per hour. Now the Giants go 31st, so there's little or no reason to tune in until say 7pm this year, which is when it's going to start getting interesting and if the Giants do trade up, it's probably only going to be to the late 20's.

As long as the Giants have picked before Cops comes on, things are good.

If I was trying to set up a deal like the Eli trade I'd want a full 15 minutes, thank you. I'm sure a lot of that was done before the draft started but you get my point. I'm sure there's a compromise in there somewhere, like if they're not in discussions with another team after 5 min they have to pick, but they can have up to another 10 min if deals are getting discussed.

If I was trying to set up a deal like the Eli trade I'd want a full 15 minutes, thank you. I'm sure a lot of that was done before the draft started but you get my point. I'm sure there's a compromise in there somewhere, like if they're not in discussions with another team after 5 min they have to pick, but they can have up to another 10 min if deals are getting discussed.

Not bad. Sorta like the red flag challenge. Give each team one red flag that if they throw, get an extra 5 minutes....but they only get one.

I doubt it, as bad as Ernie wanted Eli, the deal would have gotten done regardless. I forget, what pick was on the clock when they announced the trade?

5th, we had taken Rivers and everyone was like "what the fuck this guy?" then the trade came about. Ahh good times good times.

Think we made out ok that dat?? ;)

Is it possible that if the time was shortened 4 years ago we do not have ELI?

I don't think it would have had any effect as the trade was made well after the Giants had made their pick. If they were forced to make the deal while still on the clock, we probably would've still made the deal except we would probably have given up more draft picks than we did.