SportsWrath

With Hall off the board, at least we know where we stand now

BleedinBlue

It's been hard to get really excited about the draft knowing in the back of my mind that at the last second, the Giants might trade their first pick for Hall. But with Hall off the board, it's much easier to get excited.

In essence, the Giants have pretty much the same team they had last season that came on strong and won the Superbowl. We lost a couple of decent players to free agency, but replaced each on of them with hardworking veterans for cheap making it pretty much a wash and possibly even an improvement.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I can't believe that the Giants are so dominant that they won't have to work hard to win 12 games this coming season. On the optimistic side though, I feel as if the Giants are on the verge of having a dominant team that will be one to reckon with for the next few years. If not for being in the NFC East, I believe we could be perrenial division champs. Not to metnion, we won the SB with backups and we still get Shockey and Kiwi back to start this next season. Thems some good things!

We have great defensive and offensive lines (perhaps the best D-line in the NFL)...which is where the real battles are won. SEcondly, we have a winning quarterback who is still young and not yet a complete stud with his best years ahead of him (with a backup QB that was the number one draft pick overall and still very young). Thirdly, we have an offense that is set...good recievers, a pro-bowl tight end, and a running backs by commission that can throw different styles at any defense...along with a fullback in Hedgecock that is almost like having a 5th offensive lineman. Fourthly, our special teams unit is pretty damn good with Tyree, Hixon, and apparantly our new guy Clark....not to mention, the best coffin-corner kicker in the NFL.

The only area where I feel we are mediocre and somewhat vulnerable is in the defensive backfield. Still...with the defensive line throwing constant pressure on the QB, it makes up for that achilles heal. I think we are strong with Pierce, Ross, and Webster, but so-so outside of them. If Kiwi comes through this year, he too will become a powerful force to reckon with.

So when the draft comes up this coming month, I foresee the Giants focusing on strengthening the defensive backfield. I have to believe the first 3 picks on Sunday will be a safety, a cornerback, and a linebacker....but I also know Reese and TC won't let a stud lineman or WR get away if they are sitting on the board.

Bottom line: I'm psyched and can't wait to see what the draft brings us.

Every year I say to myself "This years draft I'm going to research and look at some players" but...I never do. Really who ever we draft I have full confidence that Reese and the Giants know what they are doing, so every draft is like a big surprise for me. I remember when we got Willi Jo and I read up on his college career and what the experts were saying about him. I thought "Hey this guy is going to make our line solid"...well everyone can make mistakes in the draft. But then look at the 2nd of the same year.."Osiyournameislonga...who?" and now the guy is a pro bowl DE.

So I have full confidence in whatever the giants do.

Every year I say to myself "This years draft I'm going to research and look at some players" but...I never do. Really who ever we draft I have full confidence that Reese and the Giants know what they are doing, so every draft is like a big surprise for me. I remember when we got Willi Jo and I read up on his college career and what the experts were saying about him. I thought "Hey this guy is going to make our line solid"...well everyone can make mistakes in the draft. But then look at the 2nd of the same year.."Osiyournameislonga...who?" and now the guy is a pro bowl DE.

So I have full confidence in whatever the giants do.

Yeah....William Joseph was a bust. He was the only rated DT left on the board when we were in dire need of a DT. His stock had fallen for the past few weeks leading up to the draft as word got out that he wasn't a self disciplined player that would work hard to get better. We should've listened as that's exactly what he turned out to be. It was just a bad year when there were few options and a hard need. We could've done worse....one time we drafted Ron Dayne with our first overall :confused:

I'm pretty stoked too, though I might not mind if we picked up another vet linebacker like Wilson or Spikes if we can get 'em for cheap.

It's an exciting time to be a Giants fan though. Yeah, we could use a corner or a guy on the OL, but really, we can kind of sit back and pick whoever the best guy on the board is with our #1 pick. Also, because it's such a deep draft, our #2 guy could possibly come right in and contribute as well.

We have our ass covered with Carr, Clark and Knight, so we have the luxury of just picking the guy that falls to our spot. GO GIANTS!!!

I thought Hall said they werent close to a trade?

The deal between the Falcons and Raiders is a done deal and agreed upon, but Hall (or his agent) has to come to terms with the Raiders on his salary. Hall is looking for 9 - 10 million a year, preferably 6 years or more.

BTW, the Giants have about 9 mill left....but need to save money to sign their draft picks. The deal apparantly fell through with the Falcons because the Giants weren't willing to part with all their money for one player and would've only considered Hall if he'd accept about a half what he was asking.

The deal between the Falcons and Raiders is a done deal and agreed upon, but Hall (or his agent) has to come to terms with the Raiders on his salary. Hall is looking for 9 - 10 million a year, preferably 6 years or more.

BTW, the Giants have about 9 mill left....but need to save money to sign their draft picks. The deal apparantly fell through with the Falcons because the Giants weren't willing to part with all their money for one player and would've only considered Hall if he'd accept about a half what he was asking.

And that's exactly how much he's worth. :TU:

There will be no shopping of Nande, he's a stud. I'd take him over D. Hall. As it goes, I wouldn't mind Hall, but not for a king's ransom.

Remember the moves that the Raiders are making will continue to be there undoing. They just don't manage the cap or their staff very well.

I'm thrilled to see them impload, but think it's quite unfortunate for their great fan base.

Be happy that Reese isn't making impulsive moves. I like his style and were built to last a while not just be a fart in the wind.

This coach, this GM, and this DC could be a good thing for a while.

expect a move on draft day- they want howie long's kid.

They don't have many bargaining chips left to move up and tap Long. They traded their 2nd and 6th to Atlanta. They traded their 4th to the Patriots.

What do they have left to offer?

There will be no shopping of Nande, he's a stud. I'd take him over D. Hall. As it goes, I wouldn't mind Hall, but not for a king's ransom.

Remember the moves that the Raiders are making will continue to be there undoing. They just don't manage the cap or their staff very well.

I'm thrilled to see them impload, but think it's quite unfortunate for their great fan base.

Be happy that Reese isn't making impulsive moves. I like his style and were built to last a while not just be a fart in the wind.

This coach, this GM, and this DC could be a good thing for a while.

If the Raiders thought Nande was so good they would've signed him to a 7 year 70 million dollar deal and kept their second rounder.

They'll have no choice but at least shop him at this point.

Hell, maybe we'll give them Danny Ware.

If there's one thing you have to take into consideration, it's that with the current system in place, the salary cap may expire in 2010. Davis would have no problem giving them the money if the league permits it. Then all of a sudden, these moves don't look so stupid.

Think about it though. They have a sick defensive backfield, and a top pass rushing end in Burgess. Morrison is their MLB, and I think he's a stud. Their defense has a chance to very good this year.

If the Raiders thought Nande was so good they would've signed him to a 7 year 70 million dollar deal and kept their second rounder.

They'll have no choice but at least shop him at this point.

Hell, maybe we'll give them Danny Ware.

If there's one thing you have to take into consideration, it's that with the current system in place, the salary cap may expire in 2010. Davis would have no problem giving them the money if the league permits it. Then all of a sudden, these moves don't look so stupid.

Think about it though. They have a sick defensive backfield, and a top pass rushing end in Burgess. Morrison is their MLB, and I think he's a stud. Their defense has a chance to very good this year.

Indeed they should have a good def. backfield, but they need a full line - on both sides the ball - and they need to be able to put points on the board. A good running team will kill them...and even a good throwing team if the QB has all day to throw. I don't care how could your cornerbacks are...a good corner will shake them every now and then and if the QB has time - bingo!

Indeed they should have a good def. backfield, but they need a full line - on both sides the ball - and they need to be able to put points on the board. A good running team will kill them...and even a good throwing team if the QB has all day to throw. I don't care how could your cornerbacks are...a good corner will shake them every now and then and if the QB has time - bingo!

which is why they should've invested the money in the offensive line and the receivers. can't really get on them too hard though, they did spend money on jordan and dominick rhoades 2 of the past 3 offseasons and shelled out the dough for jamarcus russell.

but making this trade just makes no sense at all. they had the 2nd best pass defense in football in '06 and the 8th best in '07. they gave up the 4th fewest passing TDs last year. IMO if they were going to invest in defense they should've focused on the d-line--particularly the interior now that sapp has retired