SportsWrath

AL DAVIS

BIGBLUE01

Wednesday, Mar 5, 2008 10:22 am EST

Javon Walker becomes the latest wildly overpaid Raider free agent

By MJD

This is getting ridiculous.

Javon Walker, despite being nearly 30 years old and coming off an injury-plagued season in which he caught 26 passes for 287 yards, is bathing in cash this morning. Al Davis and the Raiders threw a massive contract at him, set to pay him $55 million over six years.

Walker's played in half of his team's games only once in the past three years. He's been injury prone, and he may have never emotionally recovered from the murder of his teammate and friend, Darrent Williams.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Walker the best, and if the money's out there, and someone's willing to give it to him, by all means, he should grab it and run (or limp, whatever he's capable of at the time).

But if you're someone who wishes the Raiders the best, you might want to be a little bit concerned. They're spending money like drunken sailors in Tijuana on shore leave, and they're not even getting top-shelf liquor or disease-free prostitutes in return.

They gave Tommy Kelly the biggest contract ever given to a defensive tackle, which is difficult to justify, given that he's been largely unproductive and is coming off a major ACL injury.

They made safety Gibril Wilson the third highest-paid safety in the NFL, and dare I say that Gibril Wilson is not the third-best safety in the NFL? If he hadn't just won a ring, he wouldn't have gotten that contract, but that's sort of Raider tradition (see also: Brown, Larry, and Howard, Desmond).

And now comes this massive contract for Javon Walker.

They're all insane contracts, and none of them would've been given out by rational teams. But from Al Davis's standpoint, it sort of makes sense. He badly wants to win a Super Bowl, he'll need players if that's going to happen, and he doesn't know how much time he has left (sorry, Al, no disrespect intended), so who gets whoever he can. And if that means he has to overpay, well, he's certainly shown that he's willing to do that. And then some.

OK, maybe sign this guy for a year or two, or not at all, considering he is injury prone. But 55 mil. over 6 YEARS?? :huh:

If Al Davis is so worried about winning a SB before he croaks he should have been building the team 5 years ago and not taking the Snyder route. The Raiders' are a cluster fuck and Davis probably is senile. Russell is definitely going to be starting next year, with no backup, and if Walker goes down, almost definitely, there is nobody else (Porter finally got out). Russell is going to have to go Vick for this team to have any chance to win. The only thing the Raiders' have is arguably the best secondary in the league.

The only thing the Raiders' have is arguably the best secondary in the league.

And if the Giants have proven anything it is better to have a great pass rush and a decent secondary than it is to have a great secondary and only a decent pass rush.

Forget the free agency overspending. They are trying to force their coach to resign rather than fire him and having to pay him off. Davis even had a letter of resignation drafted on Kiffin's behalf. And they let him go to the combine but won't let him get involved in personnel decisions. One of Davis's requirements for all coaches is to keep Kenny Stabler on the coaching staff regardless of who comes in.

For a team that supposedly personifies toughness, including their idiot fans, there hasn't been a bigger pushover in the league since they lost the Superbowl.

Forget the free agency overspending. They are trying to force their coach to resign rather than fire him and having to pay him off. Davis even had a letter of resignation drafted on Kiffin's behalf. And they let him go to the combine but won't let him get involved in personnel decisions. One of Davis's requirements for all coaches is to keep Kenny Stabler on the coaching staff regardless of who comes in.

For a team that supposedly personifies toughness, including their idiot fans, there hasn't been a bigger pushover in the league since they lost the Superbowl.

The common thread with these loser teams is lack of consistency and fiscal planning. Look at the Redskins yet again gutting the whole coaching staff. Even if the Giants had hired a Handly again I would still want him around for at least 3 years. Without a consistent game plan how are any players supposed to do well. You can't learn a whole system every year. What the fuck did Davis think anyway? Kiffin would just come in and turn the listing ship around in one season. These owners are way too impatient to own a franchise.

The common thread with these loser teams is lack of consistency and fiscal planning. Look at the Redskins yet again gutting the whole coaching staff. Even if the Giants had hired a Handly again I would still want him around for at least 3 years. Without a consistent game plan how are any players supposed to do well. You can't learn a whole system every year. What the fuck did Davis think anyway? Kiffin would just come in and turn the listing ship around in one season. These owners are way too impatient to own a franchise.

I forget where I heard the quote but it was on the NFLN. They were talking about the change of the game from 50+ years ago to now. They said way back when, when you hired a new head coach you would give him ATLEAST four years to run your team and that was the standerd length of time. With those four years he would be able to do what he wants with the team, hire his coordinators and draft his players. Now look at it, head coaches have one year to make an impact or their fucked. What kind of a system is that? no wonder why some players have a hard time learning systems when every year they have a new HC.

Davis has had success, but with free agency kicking in he's kinda lost the plot.

Anyway, what more can be said about picking a mediocre kicker in the 1st round of the draft?. Who drafts a guy who can only have impact after the teams offense puts him in a poistion to do his job. That was beyond stupid and just goes to show that it's Davis who picks the team.

i am old but they say it a lot out here. i think they even had a 'dress like huggy' game.

I didnt realize you live in the Bay area. :)

Dress like Huggy?? Man, Id LOVE that! I got my platform shoes, my bellbottoms and purple pimp hat....Im Ready!

Could you root for this team if Al rooted for it?

I mean really, think about it, would you change teams. I stuck with the team when George Young gave Dave Brown a contract. I also stayed with the team when it hired Ray Handley and Dan Reeves. Of course, it wasn't Reeves fault that George saddled him with shitty QB's.

I even forced myself to love Fassel despite himself.

So if it were your G-men, and I've never rooted for another team, can't even play with them in Madden (thank goodness I live in Ohio now, I dont have to fight to many people to play with the G), would you switch until Al kicked the bucket?

True fans never abandon their team no matter how ineptly they may be run. Do not take out your wrath on the team as an establishment, take out your wrath on the decision makers. As in "Al must go" signs at games and a fan-movement to show just how pissed they are. Stop buying merchandise and see how Al feels about it.

They've won 3 superbowls under his ownership, lost another two (including one this decade), and have had some very strong teams over the last 4-5 decades. They've been in the playoffs more often than not under his ownership.

He's made some whopper mistakes in his time (moving the team to LA comes to mind) but you can't bash him too much. And to stop being a fan of that team after all the playoffs and championships the guy has provided over the decades would be a shitty thing to do. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

True fans never abandon their team no matter how ineptly they may be run. Do not take out your wrath on the team as an establishment, take out your wrath on the decision makers. As in "Al must go" signs at games and a fan-movement to show just how pissed they are. Stop buying merchandise and see how Al feels about it.

With the revenue sharing deal he'd barely notice.