SportsWrath

2008 NY Giants Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

Biggest surprises from 2008 Draft

by Alex Marvez

Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for 13 seasons as a beat writer and is the president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Updated: April 29, 2008, 4:16 AM EST 219 comments

add this RSS blog email print

The NFL has a hard time keeping secrets.

remy Shockey, defensive end Jason Taylor and cornerback Lito Sheppard would be traded.

Various media outlets (including FOXSports.com) reported how the top four picks would be used in last weekend's drafts long before the selections were officially made. Other news tidbits regularly leaked as well.

But no matter how intrepid the reporting, last weekend still featured its share of surprises. Here are five things I thought would happen that didn't:

* Tight end Jeremy Shockey, defensive end Jason Taylor and cornerback Lito Sheppard would be traded.

Jeremy Shockey seemed headed from the New York Giants to New Orleans for a second-round draft choice. Sheppard was drawing interest from five teams, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. And there were even bogus internet reports that Miami had agreed to ship Taylor to Tampa Bay on Saturday.

So what's next? Those players could still be on the move before the start of the regular season.

Taylor doesn't seem a good fit with Miami's Bill Parcells-led regime. The Dolphins also selected his potential replacement (Clemson end Phillip Merling) with the 32nd overall pick.

Talk of Sheppard leaving Philadelphia surfaced even before the Eagles finalized a free-agent contract with former New England cornerback Asante Samuel. Sheppard is only 26 and a two-time Pro Bowl player but has a long injury history and may want a new contact even though his current deal runs through 2011.

As for Shockey, his reputation took a beating when the Giants surged to a Super Bowl after he landed on injured reserve in December. There is a perception that quarterback Eli Manning blossomed once he no longer had to deal with Shockey's browbeating and receiving demands.

From strictly a talent standpoint, New York is wise to keep Shockey. At 27, he is still arguably the NFL's best all-around tight end and rookie replacement Kevin Boss doesn't have the same blocking skills. But if he is going to disrupt the strong locker-room chemistry the Giants built last season, a Shockey trade wouldn't be shocking.

# The Cincinnati Bengals had learned their lesson.

Maybe only having one player arrested this off-season wasn't enough. Once again, the Bengals couldn't resist talented players whose off-field baggage may have hurt their draft stock.

Fresno State defensive tackle Jason Shirley, a fifth-round pick, is facing three misdemeanor charges after allegedly driving his car into an apartment last October while intoxicated. Shirley already was suspended for Fresno State's first two games in 2007 after a conduct violation and later thrown off the team following two traffic citations.

"It's a little bit of a risk," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Ya think?

So is Auburn defensive tackle Patrick Sims, a third-round selection who sources told FOXSports.com comes with red flags from college. Wide receiver Mario Urrutia (seventh round) also was charged with menacing a police officer and disorderly conduct in 2004.

The Bengals had 10 players arrested in a 14-month span during 2006 and 2007, which led to Cincinnati steering clear of players with character issues in last year's draft. But as this year's class has proven, these Bengals really haven't changed their stripes.

# Only having 10 minutes between first-round selections could curtail trading.

After the first six picks, a dizzying 12 of the next 24 slots were exchanged on draft-day.

The most surprising move involved defensive end Derrick Harvey. He was considered a possible top 10 pick and Jacksonville is known to fancy University of Florida players. But a marriage between the two seemed highly unlikely until the Jaguars jumped 18 spots to No. 8 in a trade with Baltimore. By surrendering four picks (one first-round, two third and one fourth), Jacksonville appears to believe Harvey is the missing piece needed for a Super Bowl run.

# Carolina and Chicago would draft a quarterback.

Jake Delhomme is coming off serious elbow surgery and backup Matt Moore started three games as a 2007 college free agent. Yet the Panthers appear to have faith in both by not addressing the position.

Plus, embattled coach John Fox and general manager Marty Hurney might be worried whether they will still be around by the time a drafted quarterback is ready to play.

The Bears also stayed out of the quarterback market, content to enter the season Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton atop the depth chart. Good luck.

# At least one wide receiver would be chosen in the first round.

A slew of ballyhooed early entry juniors like Michigan State's Devin Thomas, California's DeSean Jackson, and Indiana's James Hardy might have been better off staying in school. Houston's Donnie Avery — a senior — was the first wideout selected by St. Louis at No. 33.

The last time it took that long for a receiver to get chosen was 1990 when Alexander Wright landed with Dallas at No. 26 in the second round. That draft bust foreshadowed what was to come. Of the 31 receivers chosen in a 12-round draft, Ricky Proehl is the only one that made a lasting impact.

New York Giants

Picks: DB Kenny Phillips, DB Terrell Thomas, WR Mario Manningham, LB Bryan Kehl, LB Jonathan Goff, QB André Woodson, DE Robert Henderson

Positives: Phillips, Manningham, Woodson

Negative: No picks for tackle depth.

Bottom line:B. A solid class from top to bottom. Phillips, Kehl and Woodson have a boatload of upside. Manningham could be a tremendous value pick in the third round. Whatever you want to say about his lack of speed or smarts (reportedly scored very low on the Wonderlic test administered at the NFL scouting combine), he consistently produced on the biggest of stages at the college level. But keeping him from becoming a character issue might be tough in New York. Woodson’s mechanics and decision-making translate into a major project over the next several years, but he’s got a lot of tools to keep the Giants invested.

President Bush approves of Giants as Super Bowl champions

Associated Press

Updated: April 30, 2008, 5:41 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

WASHINGTON -- Add this to the lore of championship ceremonies at the White House: President Bush believes in the Jessica Simpson jinx.

Bush, a Texas guy, lauded the New York Giants on Wednesday for winning the Super Bowl. Any football championship is big to the team and its fans, but this one was all the sweeter because it required a riveting, comeback effort against the New England Patriots, who were heavily favored and had not lost all year.

Eli Manning hands off a souvenir football to President George W. Bush. The Super Bowl-champion Giants were feted on the south lawn of the White House on Wednesday.

The president noted that along the way the Giants vanquished a team from his home state -- the Dallas Cowboys. Many Dallas fans pinned their team's surprise playoff loss not on the Giants, but on Simpson. Seems the singer-actress was accused of being a distraction to her boyfriend, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo.

Apparently, Bush bought in.

"I'm a good sport," Bush said at the South Lawn ceremony. "We're going to send Jessica Simpson to the Democrat National Convention."

Everything is political.

The Giants beat the Patriots, 17-14, in what was considered one of the biggest upsets in pro football history.

Even Bush, an early-to-bed leader, stayed up late that February night to watch the Giants pull ahead and hang on.

He didn't skimp on the superlatives. "It turned out to be really one of the great, legendary football games in our nation's history," he said Wednesday.

With players and coaches gathered behind him on a comfortable spring day, Bush praised the team for its resilience. The president gave a detailed recap of the Giants' season, from the shaky start to the road victories to the final game of the regular season, when the Giants lost to the Patriots but gained confidence.

"You won the gratitude of your fans. The New York Giants fans love these Giants," Bush said, drawing a burst of cheers from fans in Giant blue.

Front and center behind Bush was Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who endured enormous scrutiny in New York and emerged as the Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player.

The president, as usual, also thanked the players for their off-the-field volunteer work.

The team visited wounded troops at Walter Reed Army Medical Center earlier in the day. Some star players say that experience moved them even more than hanging out with the president at the White House.

"To see their spirit, and the way they reacted to us, was just very special," said center Shaun O'Hara. "That's going to stick with me."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Article

Mario lands in New York after giant slide, and that's fine by him

Thomas George By Thomas George | NFL.com

Senior Columnist

NEW YORK -- Two-hundred and fifty-two players were selected in the draft here this weekend.

One stands apart in volume of pre- and post-draft character speculation, in enormous fall from first-round consideration to a late third-round landing and in incessant analysis at to whether he will become boom or bust.

Mario Manningham.

A deep search is required to find a player in recent draft history who has taken the shots that Manningham took. Some of it was well earned. Much of it certainly was not.

Forgive this former Michigan receiver if his head is still spinning. Reached via telephone at his home in Warren, Ohio, a day after the Giants made him the 95th pick in the draft -- only four picks from the bottom of the third round and with 13 receivers selected before him -- Manningham offered a mixture of relief, resentment, excitement and payback.

"My family and friends were gathered around the TV on the first day of the draft and that didn't go so well, of course," Manningham said. "I told them not to worry, I'll get picked tomorrow. And then on the second day the Giants made it happen; they were one of my favorites. New York is very beautiful. They've got a long history with Michigan players.

"The media, some of the teams, they are going to talk a lot of stuff as long as they have air. I'm just ready to ball. I've got a team. I've got a chance. These critics and know-it-alls, they give me more motivation. All of them. I'm a risk? Let them think I'm a risk alright. Whether you go in the first round or the seventh round, I know it's all about what you do on and off the field and how you do it. I'm a Giant. And that's good. Let everybody say what they've got to say. Really, I'm not used to talking about stuff like this. Where I come from, we don't wear our feelings on our sleeves."

He is 21 years old.

He left school as a junior.

He helped create the chaos.

Nearly a year ago, he was arrested along with two friends after their car was pulled over and police found Vicodin on him and in his suitcase in the trunk. He said the pills were for post-knee surgery and that he had borrowed them from teammates after he had run out of his. Prosecutors failed to issue a warrant for felony possession. The NCAA and Michigan investigated and cleared him.

He failed two drug tests for marijuana while at Michigan. He lied about it to scouts at the combine. He sent letters to each of the 32 teams apologizing for that, blaming it on being "scared" and "nervous." He wrote that he had passed several tests since and would gladly take more drug tests prior to the draft.

But through 94 picks in the draft, teams ran the other way.

"We like the player, we like the person and we will give him support and a chance," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "It's up to him what he does with it."

Manningham's agent, Don Yee, added: "I've been representing players for more than 20 years in these drafts and I believe the judgment of him was unjustifiably harsh. It was somewhat frustrating that given the history of this draft, where teams have consistently overlooked any matter of things, that they held him to such a harsh standard. Young people make mistakes. But he did not point a gun at anyone. He did not steal anything from anyone. Every draft there seems to be a player that the media and others pick out and pick on, and not even to this degree, for whatever reason, and that was Mario this time. They all were far less forgiving with him. But the Giants are very happy with him and we are very happy he's with the Giants. It's a unique organization that is first-rate in operating as a family."

Yee said that Manningham was born to a teenage mother, has a strong supporting grandfather and agreed with Manningham that the player does not often "wear his feelings on his sleeves." And Yee found it curious that Manningham's Wonderlic Intelligence test score of 6 (out of a possible 50) was leaked prior to the draft.

"What does a score on an intelligence test like that one have to do with catching the ball over the middle and being able to stand up to a guy trying to take your head off?" Manningham asked. "What does that have to do with catching the football? People talked the same stuff about Vince Young when he was drafted. Again, as long as people have air ..."

It simply appears there is not enough there for Manningham to have crashed as he did in the draft. Certainly, teams could hold him to a stricter standard on his truthfulness about past marijuana usage. At Michigan, he was disciplined by his coach, Lloyd Carr, and benched for a game early in the season because Carr said Manningham was not focused.

But his production at Michigan exceeded that mistake.

He made plenty of acrobatic catches. He is the fourth-best touchdown maker (27) among Michigan receivers, behind Braylon Edwards (39), Anthony Carter (37) and Desmond Howard (32) -- Howard and Manningham played in only three seasons. Manningham averaged 16.3 yards per catch and scored 12 touchdowns last season in a Michigan offense that was often out of sync due to injuries, especially at quarterback. He made frequent game-winning plays against elite competition.

But something about Manningham struck a nerve around the league.

"I don't know exactly what that was, maybe the lying at the combine, which I don't find a major deal for a young, scared kid who later apologized for it," said one NFL head coach, requesting anonymity. "I would not have had a problem drafting him. Sometimes a kid gets stripes on him that are hard to change, and that happened here. But maybe it's best this all happened to him before he got to the pros. Sometimes, especially with young people, this kind of lesson is best learned there so that he can get in the league and go forward without it happening there."

Manningham said he visited the Giants in early April and caught on to what coaches were asking him about playing receiver in their system and had a similar, positive visit with the Colts a couple of days before that. He said he knew both were "job interviews" and hoped one of those teams would grab him. The Giants did. He went from complete puzzlement to the defending Super Bowl champions.

He will arrive in New York in a few days and said that in practice, in camp, in games, he will be the first to throw his hand up when there is a big play to be made.

Before that, he will continue driving more than an hour each way from his hometown to Cleveland to work on his game at a training complex.

"He (Reese) called me during the draft and asked, 'Are you ready to be a Giant?'" Manningham said. "What do you think I said? I know I can play football. Everything in this game at receiver comes natural for me. I see myself scoring touchdowns. I'm not a risk. I've got someone who was willing to believe in me as much as I believe in myself. I'm not worried about anything. I've got a team

Amani Toomer: 'No question' Michael Strahan will return

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 11:01 AM

Amani Toomer feels good, wonders if Mario Manningham can make it in New York, thinks Sinorice Moss needs to be on guard, and expects to see Michael Strahan in the Giants' locker room next season (and not just as a visitor).

Those were just a few of the thoughts he shared with Alex Marvez and Jerry Rice on Sirius NFL Radio's Late Hits on Wednesday night. (Marvez, by the way, will be co-hosting with me on Press Pass on Sirius NFL Radio tomorrow morning, 8 a.m. to noon, and I've got to believe that going from Jerry Rice to me is quite a letdown for him).

Anyway, here is a bit of the transcript...

On how his body is feeling: "Actually, it feels a lot better than it did last year at this time. Last year at this time I was about 2-3 months out of surgery and just starting to run and it was a struggle to get the pain out, to have my knee stop swelling up. But now I feel good. Now I can finally have an offseason to exercise and get back into shape like I want to and go through the minicamps, go through training camp just to try and get a little bit more of the timing back. I think my game picked up toward the end of last season and hopefully I’ll pick up where I left off last season in the playoffs and in the last couple of games."

On Mario Manningham and whether he thinks he can help him put his troubles in the past and succeed in the NFL: "Well, you know, it is a tough thing. I think maturity has much more to do with being successful in the NFL. There are so many different people pulling you in so many different ways. It’s going to take some discipline to focus in and there are so many distractions in New York City. They’re going to definitely have their work cut out for them. He’s such a talent I hope he’ll be able to help our team. I haven’t met him yet so once I get a chance to meet him I could tell you more after that."

On whether the selection of Manningham is a warning signal for Sinorice Moss: "Any time they draft somebody in your position it kind of tells everybody. He wasn’t a super high pick but I think they keep on feeling the need to bring people in and there’s definitely something going on. I don’t know if it is just Sinorice. I don’t know what but I know that there is going to be some competition and hopefully that will bring out the best in everybody. I think that’s kind of one of the reasons why they probably did it."

On whether he thinks Strahan will still be a member of the Giants in 2008: "Oh, no question. I think he’ll be a member. I think he loves that fact that he’s Michael Strahan. He loves that fact that he’s playing and doing the stuff that he loves to do. He loves hanging around with the guys. I think it is going to be a hard transition. But I think it is one of those thing that when you know you’re done it becomes a pretty easy decision and for him to be toiling over it I think that that says something right there."

Amani Toomer: 'No question' Michael Strahan will return

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 11:01 AM

Amani Toomer feels good, wonders if Mario Manningham can make it in New York, thinks Sinorice Moss needs to be on guard, and expects to see Michael Strahan in the Giants' locker room next season (and not just as a visitor).

Those were just a few of the thoughts he shared with Alex Marvez and Jerry Rice on Sirius NFL Radio's Late Hits on Wednesday night. (Marvez, by the way, will be co-hosting with me on Press Pass on Sirius NFL Radio tomorrow morning, 8 a.m. to noon, and I've got to believe that going from Jerry Rice to me is quite a letdown for him).

Anyway, here is a bit of the transcript...

On how his body is feeling: "Actually, it feels a lot better than it did last year at this time. Last year at this time I was about 2-3 months out of surgery and just starting to run and it was a struggle to get the pain out, to have my knee stop swelling up. But now I feel good. Now I can finally have an offseason to exercise and get back into shape like I want to and go through the minicamps, go through training camp just to try and get a little bit more of the timing back. I think my game picked up toward the end of last season and hopefully I’ll pick up where I left off last season in the playoffs and in the last couple of games."

On Mario Manningham and whether he thinks he can help him put his troubles in the past and succeed in the NFL: "Well, you know, it is a tough thing. I think maturity has much more to do with being successful in the NFL. There are so many different people pulling you in so many different ways. It’s going to take some discipline to focus in and there are so many distractions in New York City. They’re going to definitely have their work cut out for them. He’s such a talent I hope he’ll be able to help our team. I haven’t met him yet so once I get a chance to meet him I could tell you more after that."

On whether the selection of Manningham is a warning signal for Sinorice Moss: "Any time they draft somebody in your position it kind of tells everybody. He wasn’t a super high pick but I think they keep on feeling the need to bring people in and there’s definitely something going on. I don’t know if it is just Sinorice. I don’t know what but I know that there is going to be some competition and hopefully that will bring out the best in everybody. I think that’s kind of one of the reasons why they probably did it."

On whether he thinks Strahan will still be a member of the Giants in 2008: "Oh, no question. I think he’ll be a member. I think he loves that fact that he’s Michael Strahan. He loves that fact that he’s playing and doing the stuff that he loves to do. He loves hanging around with the guys. I think it is going to be a hard transition. But I think it is one of those thing that when you know you’re done it becomes a pretty easy decision and for him to be toiling over it I think that that says something right there."

Now granted this came up on ESPN and I didn't hear the quote myself, but Antonio Pierce doesn't feel the same way. He apparently told WFAN that Strahan wouldn't be back and that he was leaning towards going out on top.

David Diehl's contract gets Giant boost

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 7:25 PM

David Diehl proved last season he could make a capable left tackle. Now he's going to be paid like one, too. The Giants tore up Diehl's old contract a few weeks ago and doubled it by signing him to a six-year deal that could be worth as much as $31million. The 27-year-old is signed through the 2013 season and, if he plays left tackle that entire time, would average more than $5million per year.

Diehl had just completed only the second year of the six-year, $15.5 million extension he had signed in 2005. But he signed that when he was still playing left guard. It appears that Diehl will head into the 2008 season as the starting left tackle. The deal calls for him to earn an additional $750,000 to $1.1million for each season he starts at that position.

ABOARD: Alabama teammates WR D.J. Hall and DE Wallace Gilberry were among four rookie free agents signed by Giants. They also signed DE Antonio Reynolds of Tennessee and safety Nehemiah Warrick of Michigan State. ... Michael Strahan on whether he wants to play a 16th NFL season: "Right now I know where I'm leaning, but I don't want to say it until I'm sure," Strahan told FOX News Channel's "FOX & Friends."

Strahan still debating whether or not to retire

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan has a good idea whether he wants to play a 16th NFL season, but the New York Giants defensive end wants to think it over before announcing his decision.

If Strahan sounds confused. So are his teammates.

Veteran receiver Amani Toomer thinks Strahan will be back next season when the Giants defend their Super Bowl title.

Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce expects Strahan to retire and walk away a winner.

"Right now I know where I'm leaning, but I don't want to say it until I'm sure," Strahan said Tuesday in an interview on FOX News Channel

"Once you either say you're gonna play or not gonna play, you can't go back, at least in my opinion," Strahan added. "That feeling of knowing that I want to do it, I have to decide if I have that feeling."

In an interview on NFL Radio's "Late Hits" last week, Toomer seemed certain last week that Strahan would be back this season.

"Oh, no question. I think he'll be a member (of the team)," Toomer said. "I think he loves that fact that he's Michael Strahan. He loves that fact that he's playing and doing the stuff that he loves to do. He loves hanging around with the guys. I think it is going to be a hard transition. But I think it is one of those things that when you know you're done it becomes a pretty easy decision, and for him to be toiling over it I think that that says something right there."

Pierce sounded just as certain that 36-year-old Strahan would retire in an interview on WFAN Radio in New York.

"The guy is a great player, made tons of money and is now a champion," Pierce said. "He has been in this league 15 years and his credentials speak for themselves."

Pierce said the only thing that might entice Strahan to return would be a big signing bonus. However, he added that walking away from the game healthy is a very good reason to leave now.

Strahan missed almost all of training camp last season while pondering retirement.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Kevin Gilbride says Jeremy Shockey's future up for grabs

BY RALPH Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, May 10th 2008, 9:55 PM

Kevin Gilbride recently told Jeremy Shockey he wants him back as a featured part of his offense. But the Giants' offensive coordinator admitted he doesn't know if that will happen.

"It's so nebulous right now, you just have no idea," Gilbride said. "Right now he's on our team. We're planning on him being there. He'll be one of the guys that we'll look to feature and one of the guys that we'll look to depend on. Hopefully he'll be here in good spirits and ready to do the things that we know he's capable of doing. But who knows? It's certainly beyond my hands."

Gilbride wouldn't reveal the details of their conversation, but he did say he spoke to Shockey to tell him "I hope he comes back, and if he does come back I'm looking forward to working with him, and I think his coaches and teammates all feel like I do, that we'll be a better football team because he's here. I just wanted to make sure he understood that."

What Gilbride declined to answer is whether the tight end, who requested a trade before the draft, wanted to return to the Giants. Several members of the organization - players, coaches and members of the front office - have reached out to Shockey to let him know he's wanted. But Shockey has yet to publicly make his desires or intentions clear.

The Giants were offered a second- and a fifth-round pick by the New Orleans Saints for Shockey, but they declined. They have not ruled out trading him, especially if the Saints were to offer a first-round pick, but they don't expect a deal to happen. Shockey, who has also demanded a new contract, has been working out on his own in Miami. He's not due back at Giants Stadium until the team's mandatory mini-camp, which begins on June 11.

NOT A GOOD MORNING: WR Mario Manningham (hip flexor) and QB Andre' Woodson (quad) were both injured in the morning practice and sat out yesterday afternoon. Neither injury is serious and they both expect to be ready to go for the June mini-camp. ... Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo said he does not know DE Michael Strahan's plans for the future, but he said there are no current plans to move LB Mathias Kiwanuka back to DE.

Giants' first-rounder Kenny Phillips embraces Sean Taylor's number, spirit

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, May 10th 2008, 8:30 PM

Warga/News

Kenny Phillips was shaken by the death of Sean Taylor, with the two linked as former Miami safeties. Phillips is wearing Taylor's No. 21 at Giants' mini-camp as he looks to make his own mark in pros.

Kenny Phillips never played football with Sean Taylor. And even though they were both safeties at the University of Miami, they'd never met.

Yet there was a bond between them. And when Taylor was murdered last November, Phillips felt a loss.

"It touched all of us," Phillips said. "We are a big family down there at the University of Miami. He was our brother and when we lost someone we were really sad."

That's why when Phillips, the Giants' first-round draft pick, took the field for the Giants' rookie mini-camp this weekend, he was wearing No. 21. That may have been Tiki Barber's old number with the Giants, but it was also the number Taylor wore with the Washington Redskins.

The 21-year-old Phillips said he's wearing it "out of respect" to him.

"He was a guy who my whole career, even in high school, I had pictures of him in my locker," Phillips said. "I wanted to get a chance to meet him, and I never did. I watch him on film and he was just an exceptional athlete. The plays he made were crazy. I just wanted to pay my respects by having his number and trying to live up to that."

Of course, as a Miami safety, Phillips has a lot of expectations to live up to. Taylor was just 24 when he was shot on Nov. 27 and was only just beginning to come into his own as an NFL player. Ed Reed, another Miami safety, became a Pro Bowler in Baltimore. And Brandon Meriweather, yet another Miami safety, was a first-round draft pick last year.

Miami has been a pipeline to the NFL for years. When the Giants took Phillips with the last pick of the first round in April, it marked the 14th straight year at least one Hurricane had been taken in Round 1. The safeties have been particularly good in recent years. They've set the bar pretty high for Phillips.

"Of course anytime you think of the safeties from Miami you think about the late Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Benny Blades, and Brandon Meriwether, and of course you want to live up to that tradition," Phillips said. "They all have been doing well and they did well in college and went to the league. I don't want to say there is any pressure because in the end I can only be myself."

The Giants expect Phillips to compete for a starting job quickly, especially since they lost Gibril Wilson to free agency in March. One safety spot seems to have been secured by the signing of veteran Sammy Knight. The other is currently held by James Butler, a third-year pro who was up and down last season. And the only other safety in the picture is Michael Johnson, a seventh-round pick from last year.

That would seem to leave a door open for Phillips, especially if he's as good as Miami safeties usually are.

"With (Wilson) leaving they are definitely looking to fill a void," Phillips said. "There are already a few guys on the team that are capable of doing that so I am just trying to come in and compete and hopefully I can win a starting job."

If he did, he'd prove to be a worthy heir to the Hurricane alumni sprinkled throughout the NFL. Those ex-'Canes, though, warned him not to worry too much about that legacy. They all have a healthy respect for their tradition, but they advised Phillips to just go out and do what he does best.

"They were just basically telling me that I already know how to play football, so don't worry about it," he said. "It's not going to be much faster or much different. You can play ball so just come in and be yourself and it will work out for you."

Andre' Woodson miffed by Giant drop

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, May 11th 2008, 8:25 PM

One year ago, Andre' Woodson was discussed as a Heisman Trophy contender. He was considered to be one of the top quarterbacks in the country. Then he went out and had a good senior year.

So how was he still sitting there for the Giants near in the sixth round of the NFL draft?

Don't bother asking him.

"I really don't know," Woodson said over the weekend at the Giants' rookie mini-camp. "I think a lot of people still to this day don't really know why I dropped as much as I did."

It doesn't make sense to the record-setting quarterback from Kentucky, yet here he is, a sixth-round draft choice battling for a chance to be a third-stringer on a team quarterbacked by the Super Bowl MVP. Woodson had a huge senior season for the Wildcats, completing 63.1% of his passes (327 for 518) for 3,709 yards with 40 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions. He believed he earned the right to be some NFL team's quarterback of the future.

In fact, as the draft approached, he was sure he would be taken in the second round.

Instead, he lasted well into the second day and landed with a team that already had four quarterbacks - three veterans (Eli Manning, David Carr, Anthony Wright) and another former Kentucky QB (Jared Lorenzen).

"It was kind of tough to swallow as the draft was going on," the 6-4, 227-pounder said. "As it went past the third round, fourth round, I still couldn't believe I hadn't been taken off the board yet. You know, those types of things happen. Unfortunately it happened to me. But I'm just going to be very positive about it and try to be a better quarterback so maybe possibly down the road I'll get an opportunity to get back on the field."

It could be a long wait for the 24-year-old Woodson. Both Tom Coughlin and GM Jerry Reese said they took Woodson so they could have a young quarterback to "grow" in the Giants' system, so he obviously will be given a chance. Carr, Wright and Lorenzen are vying for the backup job, though, so playing time for Woodson could be years away.

But that's OK, because he knows there are some things he needs to fix - like his big-windup, slow-release style, which is apparently why he dropped in the draft. He heard that was the knock against him, but given his performance in the powerful Southeastern Conference, he wasn't sure why it became such a big deal.

"That would seem to be one of the focuses of every NFL team and I don't really know why," Woodson said. "Some of the things I did in the SEC, you have to be pretty good to do that. But unfortunately that's something I have to try to clean up and work with (quarterbacks coach Chris) Palmer to see what I can do to make that better."

Woodson said Palmer hasn't begun tinkering with his delivery just yet. He had enough issues Friday trying to run a new offense that he had only been handed hours earlier. That made for a shaky start, though he was improving on Saturday before he scrambled toward the sideline and strained his left quad.

He should be fine by the Giants' mini-camp in June, though, when he hopes to begin the process of showing everyone why it was a mistake for the rest of the NFL to let him fall so far.

"Obviously (the Giants) drafted me for a reason," Woodson said. "They really feel positive about me. So I'm just going to do the best job that I can to show them why it was a great pick."

Rookies Manningham, Woodson hurt during Giants' minicamp

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Receiver Mario Manningham and quarterback Andre' Woodson were sidelined by injuries Saturday during the New York Giants' minicamp for rookies and free agents.

A third-round draft pick from Michigan, Manningham suffered a hip flexor on his left side running a pull-up pattern early in the morning workout.

Manningham said the injury happened because he did not run his pattern right.

"It ain't nothing bad or serious," Manningham said. "If it was serious I would not be walking."

Woodson pulled a quad muscle in his left leg a short time later. The injury happened as the sixth-round draft pick from Kentucky was scrambling to his left during an 11-on-11 drill.

"I don't know what happened," Woodson said. "I'm kind of disappointed I'm not out there for my first minicamp. I just can't wait to get back out there and do some good things."

Woodson threw an interception on his first pass in minicamp on Friday, but he felt he improved a lot in the second workout in the afternoon.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

This NFL offseason has been anything but uneventful

by Peter Schrager

Updated: May 8, 2008, 1:25 PM EST 340 comments

It's been quite a busy NFL off-season. With coaching changes, coordinator shifts, free- agent pickups, multi-player trades, arrests, signings, droppings, the draft, and now the acquisition of more than a hundred undrafted rookie free agents — there's a lot to keep track of.

What better way to sort it all out than giving out some hardware? Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly of the NFL off-season thus far.

The Larry Brown/Jason David Award: To the player who parlayed a solid Super Bowl performance into a big off-season free-agent contract:

Winner: Kawika Mitchell, LB, Buffalo

In fairness to Mitchell, he actually had a really strong 2007 season with the Giants. Filling in at the WLB spot after signing a one-year contract for $1 million just days before the 2007 Draft, Mitchell made countless big plays for New York over the course of the year. None was bigger than Mitchell's second-quarter sack of Tom Brady in the Super Bowl in which he initially faked going into pass coverage then blitzed the QB, bringing Brady to the ground on second down. Solid season for Mitchell; great Super Bowl. All that said, five years for $17.5 million? Really, Buffalo?

The Josh McCown Award: For the journeyman quarterback who seems to join a new horrendous team every off-season:

Winner: Josh McCown, QB, Miami

Let's take a look at McCown's career resume:

# 2002-2005 — Arizona Cardinals, Record: 20-44

# 2006 — Detroit Lions, Record: 3-13

# 2007 — Oakland Raiders, Record: 4-12

All together, McCown's career winning percentage as a pro is a putrid 28 percent. He's the Jamal Crawford of the NFL. And now? McCown, he of 35 career touchdowns and 40 career interceptions, signed with the rebuilding Miami Dolphins, a squad that is fresh off a horrendous 1-15 campaign in 2007. McCown will play the role of veteran quarterback on a team that also features second-year signal caller John Beck and rookie Chad Henne on its depth chart.

Here's the thing, though: I like McCown. I always have. I think he's gritty, has willed his team to victory on more than a few occasions, and has good mobility and a fairly decent arm. I'd just love to see what he could do as a backup on a somewhat competitive team at some point. I understand you can't always just pick which team you want to play for in the free-agency game. Not everyone can start at quarterback for the New England Patriots. But after dreadful back-to-back years in Detroit and Oakland, I was a bit surprised to see McCown sign a deal with Miami. Of course, something tells me this isn't the guy's last stop.

The Johnny Damon Award: For the player who signed with a hated division rival in the off-season, adding even more fuel to the fire:

Winner: Jake Scott, G, Tennessee

Last year it was Nick Harper jumping from Indy to Tennessee. This year, it was Scott. After starting 55 straight games for the perennial AFC South champion Colts, the 6-foot-5, 295-pound guard signed with the hated Titans back in March. Scott, a fifth-round pick of the Colts in 2004, has never not won an AFC South championship. He now joins the Tennessee offensive line, where he'll likely replace the departed Jacob Bell and will help protect Titans quarterback Vince Young. Mark your calendars, folks. The Titans play the Colts on Monday Night, Oct. 27th. Scott was beloved by the Indy fans during his time with the Colts. It's safe to say those days are over.

The Saturday Night Live Award: For the team that added next to nothing in the off-season, and likely won't be any better or worse in 2008.

Winner: Chicago Bears

Sorry, Bears fans. But aside from re-signing Lance Briggs and acquiring journeymen third-tier receivers Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker, it was an awfully quiet winter in the Windy City. The most notable off-season moves, of course, were the decisions the team made at the quarterback position. With a few decent quarterbacks available on the free-agent market and several worth considering via the NFL Draft, Chicago decided to go back to the well again by re-signing holdovers Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton to one-year deals on consecutive days in February.

Then, with Brian Brohm and Chad Henne amazingly still on the board with Chicago on the clock in the second round, the Bears opted to draft a running back, Matt Forte out of Tulane, with the 44th pick in April's draft. With 11 picks, the Bears selected zero quarterbacks on draft weekend. Is it stubbornness? Blind faith? Who knows? Whatever the reason, Chicago's front office refuses to give up on the two quarterbacks they spent draft picks on way back when, giving them each yet another year to get things right. Perhaps Nick Hill, the recently signed, rookie free agent out of nearby Southern Illinois, can make the squad and give Grossman and Orton a run for the job.

Mike Martz in San Francisco? We have no idea what to expect. (Jeff Gross / Getty Images)

The Don Nelson Award: For the Recycled Coach Hiring that Intrigues Me Most:

Winner: Mike Martz, Offensive Coordinator, San Francisco

This one could truly be boom or bust. My gut feeling? Well, I have absolutely no idea what to expect, which makes this all the more exciting. Martz joins a San Francisco team that was ranked very last in the league in total offense last season and is handed one of the great enigmas of the NFL, 2005's top overall draft pick in Alex Smith. Is this guy one of the worst quarterbacks ever to be selected first overall (Move over, Tim Couch), as he exhibited through much of his first and third years in the league? Or is he a potential superstar with nimble feet and an accurate arm, as he exhibited in the latter half of the 2006 season?

Smith flourished under Norv Turner's guidance, and floundered without him in '07. He played with an injured shoulder for much of last season, getting mangled behind San Fran's porous offensive line. He also had various negative comments in the media about his coach, Mike Nolan. The Niners have upgraded their offense this off-season, bringing in additional playmakers like Bryant Johnson, Isaac Bruce and DeShaun Foster. All of their young guns — Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Joe Staley, and Smith — are now a year older and wiser, as well. Everyone thought the Niners were the NFC's "sleeper" team entering last season. Ultimately, they fell flat on their faces after a tease of a 2-0 start. No one's talking about San Francisco this season. Perhaps Martz makes some magic happen on the Bay.

The Larry Brown Award: For the Recycled Coach Hiring Kinda Sorta Intrigues me, too:

Winner: Cam Cameron, Offensive Coordinator, Baltimore

The Brian Billick Era is officially a thing of the past in Baltimore. Ravens fans are hoping that with its culmination, so goes the past decade of offensive mediocrity. Cameron had great success with the 14-2 AFC West Champion Chargers offense in '06, but struggled as head coach of the 1-15 Dolphins in '07. That said, the Dolphins offense was downright ravaged by injuries last season, with Trent Green and Ronnie Brown both going down early in the year. Cameron's top receiver — Chris Chambers — was then traded away mid-season, as well. You hate to make excuses for any guy who's career coaching record is 1-15, but what exactly was Cameron working with on O in Miami?

Whether it's Kyle Boller, Troy Smith or rookie Joe Flacco under center for the Ravens come opening day, Cameron should play a major role in their performance. Four of his last five starting QBs earned Pro Bowl or All-American recognition: Philip Rivers and Drew Brees in San Diego; Antwaan Randle El at Indiana; and Gus Frerotte, who he coached with the Redskins. Cameron's time in Miami was brief and forgettable. Can he upgrade Baltimore's long anemic offense? I'm curious to see.

The Ravens took a bit of a risk making Delaware's Joe Flacco the second quarterback selected in April's draft. (Dave Martin / Associated Press)

The Kyle Boller Award: For the tall, big-armed college quarterback that Ozzie Newsome took with the 18th overall pick of the draft.

Winner: Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

Despite both Chad Henne and Brian Brohm still being available, the Ravens made the golden-armed Flacco the second quarterback taken in April's draft. Baltimore brass saw the Delaware kid as their man, grabbing him at 18th overall. Trading back to 26, then trading up to 18, Ravens coach John Harbaugh was ecstatic to get the kid from Philly. With just two years of extensive college experience — at Delaware, no less — Flacco's a bit of a wild card.

The Fool Me Once, Shame on You; Fool Me Twice, Shame on Me Award: For the team that seems to just never learn.

Winner: Cincinnati Bengals

You've gotta hand it to the Bengals. Just when you think they're going to change their ways — they boom! Do it again! They really never cease to amaze us. The same off-season that Chris Henry and Ahmad Brooks were involved in off-the field incidents — adding to what's now an endless list of such incidents for the Bungles — Cincinnati went ahead and selected Fresno State defensive end Jason Shirley with the 145th pick in last weekend's draft. What's the big deal? Well, let's take a quick scan of Shirley's resume � er, rap sheet. He was kicked off the Fresno State squad three times for off-the-field incidents, and was ultimately suspended from the team indefinitely in early �07. Yep, and now he's a Bengal.

The Shaquille O'Neal Award: For the acquisition of a veteran player with a recent history of injuries for big, big money.

Winner: Javon Walker, WR, Oakland

For a guy who's played more than eight games in just one of the past three seasons, the Oakland Raiders sure are spending a lot on Walker. The deal — announced in early March — netted Walker an $11 million signing bonus, and will earn him $20 million in the first two years of his Raiders contract; $27 million in the first three, and $35 million in the first four. That's A LOT of money for a guy who had just 26 catches and did not score a touchdown in his eight games with Denver last season.

The Mitchell Report Award: To the off-season story that fascinates the media so much that it has taken on a life of its own.

We're tired of your trade demands, Chad. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

Winner: Chad Johnson's Trade Demands

If and when Chad Johnson gets traded, let's scroll the news on one of the bottom line tickers on ESPN for a day, and then move on with our lives. The media's invested way too much time into this non-story. Chad Johnson has zero career playoff wins. Zero. He's not a future Hall of Famer, despite what his self-made jackets say.

The Latrell Sprewell Award: To the best player that's currently not on a team.

Winner: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State

Jason Horowitz, host of the MSG network's nightly "MSG/NY" sports wrap-up show, is a draft junkie like me. Late in the first round, Horowitz, seated next to me at Radio City, asked which round I thought Bowman, the superstar wide receiver out of Oklahoma State, was going to be selected. "None. He won't be drafted," was my response. Horowitz was shocked, listing gaudy stats and anecdotes from games during the 2006 and 2007 seasons in which the Cowboys wideout flat out dominated his opponents. I nodded and listened, but knew none of it mattered.

Sadly for Bowman, I was right ... 252 picks came and went on draft weekend and Bowman's name was never announced. What's even crazier, though, is that as of May 6, the kid hasn't even been signed to an undrafted rookie free-agent contract. Why? Well, the perfect (imperfect) storm, really. After a terrible week of Senior Bowl practices, a horrendous few days at the Combine, and a handful of sub-par individual workouts — Bowman sealed his fate with the kiss of death in early April.

Just two weeks before the NFL Draft, the 6-foot-4 target with hands of glue was arrested for marijuana possession. And like that, his draft stock plummeted. In a two-month span, Bowman went from being a second- or third-round prospect to not being drafted at all. And then to not even being signed to a rookie free-agent deal. Hey, Bowman will end up somewhere. I'm certain a team will sign him before training camps begin. He's simply too good not to get a shot somewhere. But his case is a curious one; one college prospects should hear about the day the college season ends.

The A-Rod Award: For the player who, in the end, is back with the same exact team he was with last year.

Winner: Joey Harrington, QB, Atlanta

On March 5, Harrington was released by the Falcons. Seven days later, he re-signed with Atlanta. It was a salary cap move that made sense fiscally, as bizarre as it read in the transaction section of the AJC.

The SEC Award: To the team that's been dealt the hardest schedule.

Winner: Pittsburgh Steelers

Have you taken a look at the Steelers' 2008 schedule yet? It's not a pretty sight. The Steelers face only two teams that had losing records last season, their non-division opponents had a combined record of 109-51 in 2007, and there's a brutal seven-week stretch that includes games against the Super Bowl champion New York Giants, the AFC South champion Indianapolis Colts, the AFC West champion San Diego Chargers, the NFC East champion Dallas Cowboys, the AFC East champion New England Patriots, and an NFC Wildcard team in the Washington Redskins. In a word — yikes.

Former Titans DE Travis LaBoy has joined the Cardinals and could surprise in 2008. (Chris Graythen / Getty Images)

The Elite Eight: Eight Under-the-Radar Off-Season Acquisitions I Really Liked:

# DE Travis LaBoy to Arizona

# LB Clark Haggans to Arizona

# CB Leigh Bodden to Detroit

# WR D.J. Hackett to Carolina

# C Rex Hadnot to Cleveland

# LB Derek Smith to San Diego

# LB Jonathan Vilma to New Orleans

# K Josh Brown to St. Louis

The Fab Five: Five Teams That Improved This Off-Season:

Oakland: Sure, the Raiders spent an arm and a leg to do so. But they'll be a much improved squad heading into next season. At least on paper, they will. The defense was bolstered with the signing of Gibril Wilson, the trading for D'Angelo Hall, and the long- term deal given to up-and-coming defensive lineman Tommy Kelly. Nnamdi Asomugha was given the franchise tag and will be back for at least one more season, too. On offense, Darren McFadden's presence adds a much-needed gamebreaker to the fold, and though I can argue all day and night over the money given to him — Javon Walker is a significant upgrade from what was starting alongside Ronald Curry last season. And if Walker stays healthy? Well, then he may just be worth it.

Minnesota: The Vikings are going to be everyone's NFC "sleeper" team come August. Mark my words. Minnesota went out and traded for the top sack man in the league in Jared Allen, got two tremendous safeties in former Bengal Madieu Williams and second-round pick Tyrell Johnson out of Arkansas State, and signed a much-needed deep threat at receiver in Bernard Berrian from the rival Bears. Add in an exciting rookie quarterback in John David Booty and a stellar blocking fullback in Thomas Tapeh, and that's a pretty darn good off-season for Brad Childress' squad. Packers, watch your backs.

New York Jets: The Jets went on a spending spree this off-season, scooping up Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, and Bubba Franks via free agency. They then went out and drafted Vernon Gholston, a guy I think will be a fantastic player in the 3-4, and playmakers Dustin Keller and Dwight Lowery. Perhaps my favorite move, though, was the signing of former Dolphins running back Jesse Chatman. You forget this now, but heading into last season, there was a lot of buzz during the preseason about Chatman actually getting the starting tailback spot over Ronnie Brown down in Miami. Joining Thomas Jones and Leon Washington in that backfield, Chatman could end up being a big contributor for Gang Green next season.

Miami Dolphins: Well, it's nearly impossible to not improve after a 1-15 campaign. But from top to bottom, it looks like Parcells, Ireland, and Co. have completely cleaned house and are ready for a new era of Dolphins football. After seven straight years of missing the postseason, Miami fans are ready for the change. In rookie Chad Henne and the aforementioned McCown, you have healthy competition at the quarterback spot for John Beck. In Jake Long and Phillip Merling you have stud draft picks on both sides of the line. And in Ernest Wilford, you have a veteran receiver with some playoff experience to pair alongside Ted Ginn, Jr. Miami's not going to make the playoffs this year, but they should win a few games. This off-season was a solid base for better times down the road.

Cleveland Browns: You've got to love what Cleveland did this off-season, going out and addressing needs and simply doing whatever was necessary to get better. In trading for both Corey Williams and Shaun Rodgers, the defensive line was significantly upgraded. Signing Donte Stallworth as a No. 2 receiver was huge, and bringing in center Rex Hadnot added some much-needed depth on the offensive line. Though some Browns fans were confused with the decision, I support the Derek Anderson re-signing, as well. Is it Brees-Rivers Part II? Perhaps. But what's wrong with that? Two starting quarterbacks isn't exactly a bad problem to have.

Five Teams That Did Not Improve this Off-Season:

New England Patriots: Some key losses across the board for the defending AFC champion Patriots, including cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Randall Gay and receiver Donte Stallworth. Eugene Wilson's signing with Tampa Bay didn't help much either. The Pats' current cornerback situation is not exactly a thing of beauty.

New York Giants: The defending Super Bowl champions lost two key defensive contributors in Kawika Mitchell and Gibril Wilson. Reggie Torbor, a do-everything guy who played linebacker and special teams, signed with Miami. Though New York brought in Sammy Knight and picked up some nice pieces in the draft, their roster took a bit of a hit in the free-agency period.

Chicago Bears: Who's going to play receiver for the Bears? With both Muhsin Muhammad and Bernard Berrian signing with other NFC teams, the Bears are left with a 1-2 of Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd. That's downright gross. Devin Hester is not ready to be a first or second receiver, and probably not a No. 3 either. The Chicago quarterback situation wasn't exactly upgraded. As mentioned earlier, it's more Orton and Grossman for Bears fans. Blah.

Cincinnati Bengals: FOXSports.com colleague Randy Hill listed the Bengals as a team on the rise in his Monday column. I'm still scratching my head from that one. The Bengals lost one of their top receivers in Chris Henry, passed on two first-round picks in a trade offer for Chad Johnson by the Redskins, saw Justin Smith leave and sign with San Francisco, and failed to make a big splash signing on defense. Madieu Williams, one of the few bright spots from last year, is playing for the Vikings now. Antwan Odom and Keith Rivers should help the unit — but neither will suddenly make this squad a playoff contender. Who are the Bengals going to stop?

Green Bay Packers: Brett Favre's gone, Corey Williams is gone, and the Vikings gained significant ground. Of all the moves Green Bay made over the off-season, perhaps the one I liked most was the second-round selection of Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson in April's draft. The Post-Favre era should be an interesting one, to say the least.

Giants' coaches get back to doing what they do best

Thomas George By Thomas George | NFL.com

Senior Columnist

Evan Pinkus/Getty Images

Steve Spagnuolo and the rest of the Giants' coaching staff went back to work at minicamp.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- After surveying the Giants- rookie minicamp last weekend and gauging the current climate of the league’s defending champions, here is the latest on two of their up-in-the-air, up-for-grabs stars:

Michael Strahan: All signs point to this vibrant defensive end returning for his 16th season with the Giants. The Giants will have no problem paying Strahan the money required for him to return for a final season (at least $6.5 million) and both sides believe he still has another dynamic year of football left.

The primary issue is training camp. Strahan hates it. Always has. The Giants, like every NFL team, want all of their players in camp. The quicker Strahan can find a way to wiggle out of camp or reach an agreement on a mild camp work load, the quicker he will announce his decision to return.

Jeremy Shockey: This is very much a wait-and-see how it develops situation. Shockey is not happy with the Giants and much of it deals with loyalty issues, feeling wanted and needed and being used in his preference as a pass catcher first and then as a blocker. The Giants know Shockey's value on their team and in the market.

Thus, this is a case where the Giants will continue to listen to offers for Shockey, see if he shows up in a month for mandatory minicamp and let the situation unfold. It could still go myriad ways. And both parties still have a huge voice in the outcome.

The Strahan and Shockey talk was much too heady stuff for the 55 players who were with the Giants over the weekend. The seven drafted players, 13 undrafted free agents and 35 street free agents in for tryouts formed a group that tasted their first NFL practices while attempting to make impressions that would last.

There was Alabama receiver D.J. Hall looking very much like his skills could fit the NFL game. There was a "baby" Brandon Jacobs in the form of Graceland College running back Jerome Messam (6-4, 248) who in a crowded backfield just might browbeat his way onto the roster.

But what stood out most to me were the Giants coaches.

This is a unique, talented group of teachers.

Special teams coach Tom Quinn ran into the mix of one kick return during Saturday morning’s practice and yelled to his return man "Stay in the wedge!" Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo taught his linemen rushing angles in a step-by-step illustration and then challenged them, "OK, let's run it live!"

Preparation. Clarity. Enthusiasm.

The Giants coaches have it.

Every NFL coach from every NFL corner will tell you that coaches are teachers. But some coaches are better teachers than others. The best continually find ways to reach their players, to assist them in executing not only the schemes, but also their skills.

Early last season Eli Manning was skittish in the pocket, mechanical in his movements and laboring in his delivery and decision-making. Coaching helped fix that. The defensive line leapt from good to stellar. Coaching aided that. The offensive line grew from a question mark to a strength. Coaching provided a boost.

And anytime an entire draft class contributes to a team’s postseason success as did the Giants, that confirms a ton of coaching. A classy level of teaching.

''That’s all coaches are, teachers, and I don’t know one that does not take pride in that,'' Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. ''You’re doing it best when you can take a complex subject in this game, present it to players in simple ways, and they walk out and say, 'that’s not hard.' That's when you're encouraged as a coach.''

Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo said that in his second stint this year, he knows the Giants player so much better. His mother, Carol, was a special reading teacher. Teaching, Spagnuolo said, is in his blood.

''I think we all could go a few miles up the road here and teach at JFK High school, football and maybe history, and do a very good job of it,'' Spagnuolo said. ''These kids here in this camp are very green. They are listening to everything you say. So, this kind of reminds you and reveals to you just what kind of teacher you are. Because if they are getting your coaching, your teaching, they should be in the right places even if they don’t make the right play. It makes you step back when you see the results and go, `Hey, maybe I better work more on communicating this,’ or `Hey, the way I’m teaching this is working well.’ No question, this kind of camp reminds all coaches just how much of their job is teaching.''

Besides the coordinators, the Giants staff has been full of valuable contributors. Among them, Chris Palmer with Manning. Mike Waufle with the defensive line. Pat Flaherty and Dave DeGuglielmo with the offensive line.

These were among the coaches in the trenches who helped the Giants build a team identity rather than an individual-based outlook during their Super Bowl run.

Watching the entire coaching staff work at this camp, their confidence, their success, showed in their approach.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin deserves credit for creating an environment where he allows his coaches to coach. To teach.

''Coach Coughlin, he didn’t say much during this camp,'' Messam, the big back, said. ''He always seemed to be off in the back, watching things, jotting down notes on a pad, doing his own thing. But you always know he is there. Watching. His coaches really work for him. My running backs coach, Jerald Ingram, puts things in a very clear way. He’s wasn’t a yeller. But we all heard him and followed him.''

The Giants know that repeating as Super Bowl champions is a rarity in the league. They also know the free-fall recent Super Bowl champions have experienced in follow-up seasons.

Everything the Giants are doing yesterday, today and tomorrow is an effort to avoid such a crash.

The coaches are emphasizing team over individuality. They are emphasizing continued discipline in execution. They are fighting complacency on every level.

And they began molding these youngest of Giants in the Giants' blueprint.

Now begins the time to develop these younger players to contribute -- especially in December and in January when injuries force depth to surface and when youth can be served.

''This coaching group is very clear, very focused,'' said safety Kenny Phillips, the Giants top draft pick. ''I think the greatest teachers explain and teach but also listen to you. They do that here. I haven’t heard a lot of yelling yet.''

And then Phillips smiled. He knows this was the first step on both sides, for the Giants coaches and young players.

''I'll wait till June,'' he said. ''This was hello and get to work. That will be get to work.''

Schrager is a moron. He lists Kawika as a guy who is being overpaid at 17 million (sounds underpaid to me) in the beginner of his article then lists him as a key loss. And Wilson? He made some good plays but I remember last offseason he was a big liability since he needed help knowing where to line up.

I think the two SB teams are automatics for being teams that didn't improve....how can the SB champ and the runner up improve?

Schrager is a moron. He lists Kawika as a guy who is being overpaid at 17 million (sounds underpaid to me) in the beginner of his article then lists him as a key loss. And Wilson? He made some good plays but I remember last offseason he was a big liability since he needed help knowing where to line up.

I think the two SB teams are automatics for being teams that didn't improve....how can the SB champ and the runner up improve?

Yeah I know...I post all articles that I find.....good, bad, or moronic. :) The other article I posted this morning is pretty good.

Yeah I know...I post all articles that I find.....good, bad, or moronic. :) The other article I posted this morning is pretty good.

That is a good article.

Do you remember the problems with Wilson needing help knowing where to line up though? I remember when Alexander retired that was an issue. Now his loss is a big liability? When our first overall draft pick was the highest rated safety in the draft?

posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Now that we've had a free agency period and a draft, releasing the ESPN.com Power Rankings is the next logical step. I've spent the morning analyzing the rankings through several different formulas. Here are a few of my findings:

* I know a Super Bowl title doesn't always translate into a high ESPN.com ranking, but the Giants were playing like an elite team at the end of last season. Yes, we're unsure about Michael Strahan and some departures at linebacker, but New York is still stacked at all the skill positions on offense and I for one don't think the return of Jeremy Shockey is a negative. Six is too low for this team.

ESPN's Power Rankings

Third and Short: Packers, Browns, Giants could be fall guys

ESPN.com

Updated: May 7, 2008

In this installment of Third and Short, our experts weigh in on teams that could take a tumble this season, the team poised for the biggest turnaround and which team could be this year's Giants.

Mike Sando: Which teams could take a tumble this season?

Let's start with teams that vastly exceeded expectations in 2007. Green Bay, Cleveland and the New York Giants come to mind immediately.

The Packers could have a hard time winning 13 games again while breaking in a new quarterback. Strong coaching and defensive depth should help Green Bay remain respectable, but it's an upset if Aaron Rodgers racks up double-digit victories in his first season as the starter. It was an upset when Brett Favre did it last season.

The Browns behaved this offseason like a team on the verge of winning a championship. They acquired veterans at the expense of draft choices, a strategy that could make sense if Derek Anderson becomes more than a one-year wonder. All bets are off if Anderson falters and the Browns suddenly find themselves breaking in Brady Quinn. The Browns won't surprise anyone this season, and defenses will make adjustments based on what Anderson did well in 2007.

The Giants won their championship, creating a relatively pressure-free environment for this season. They have the talent to contend again now that Eli Manning has arrived as a top-tier quarterback. But has Manning arrived? Has he truly shed three-plus years of inconsistent play for a spot among the elite passers in the game? The Giants should be playoff contenders regardless, but they will fall from the elite ranks if Manning reverts to previous form.

Pat Yasinskas: Which team is poised to make the biggest turnaround?

The New Orleans Saints were the best 7-9 team in the league last season. That's nothing to be proud of, but it's something to build on. That's why the Saints will be in the playoffs and go deep into the postseason.

They got off to a disastrous start last year and had some devastating injuries. But running back Deuce McAllister is expected to be back and healthy, and the Saints just might have the best collection of offensive skill-position players in the league. They have the NFC's smartest quarterback in Drew Brees, but all that's not really anything new.

The big reason the Saints will fare a lot better than last year is their defense. They jumped up in the draft to get USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis, and that's going to turn out to be one of the biggest moves of the offseason. Ellis is going to jam the middle, giving the Saints a chance to have some defensive playmakers for the first time in coach Sean Payton's tenure.

Ellis' presence will allow linebackers Jonathan Vilma and Dan Morgan to jump-start careers that had stalled elsewhere because they'll be able to roam untouched from sideline to sideline. That's going to jump-start the defense and make the Saints one of the league's best teams.

Matt Mosley: Which team will be this year's Giants? :rolleyes:

I realize the Jacksonville Jaguars would be the logical choice if you have them ranked behind the Colts in the AFC South, but let's go with something a little less obvious. The Eagles' season was doomed from the start last season because of the uncertainty of how starting quarterback Donovan McNabb would respond from ACL surgery and because of the family issues that plagued head coach Andy Reid.

But something funny happened over the last month of the season. The Eagles could have packed it in, but instead they started playing their best football. They should automatically be better on defense with the addition of All-Pro cornerback Asante Samuel. And the release of veteran Takeo Spikes will actually make them more athletic. Jeremiah Trotter's replacement, Omar Gaither, grew into his role as the season went on and I think he'll be a much more consistent player.

McNabb started to look like himself down the stretch. He desperately needed someone to stretch the field, and rookie DeSean Jackson has a chance to be that type of player. Kevin Curtis is a nice receiver, but he's better in the No. 3 role. If Jackson can quickly emerge as a consistent deep threat, it will take pressure off McNabb and All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook.

You can make the argument that the Cowboys and Giants have more talent than the Eagles, but I just sense a bounce-back season about to happen. The Eagles won't win the division, but they could still be this year's version of the Giants and win a Super Bowl title. :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Strahan still isn't sure if he'll play in '08

by DAN MARTIN, New York Post

Updated: May 15, 2008, 7:26 AM EST 14 comments

Michael Strahan still hasn't made up his mind about whether he is going to play next year, but some of his teammates are trying to do it for him.

"I think the guys want me to come back," Strahan said. "Osi called me out of the blue two days ago."

Strahan's fellow defensive lineman Osi Umenyiora has his work cut out for him, since this is the second year in a row that the veteran has toyed with the idea of retirement - and this time he has a Super Bowl title to complete his career resume.

Last night, Strahan reiterated his stance that he has a pretty good idea of what he was going to do, but that he isn't ready to let anyone know.

"I know what I want to do," said Strahan, who was at Cipriani 23 last night, giving an award for the Diabetes Research Institute. "I just want to make sure it's 100 percent what I want to do, because either way it's a heck of a commitment."

A year ago, Strahan skipped training camp, saying he was mulling retirement, and although veteran mini-camp is scheduled for next month, he said he's not thinking about it.

"It's not on my mind at all," Strahan said.

Still, he admitted he is feeling "better" than he was at this time last year.

"A ring makes you feel better," Strahan said. "Winning everything makes you feel great, but it's a Catch-22 because you feel the need to go back and defend it and then you think you couldn't write a better ending to the story."

That ending, it seems, still remains to be written.

"I'm not going to change my mind, whatever I decide," Strahan said. "If I retire, then I'm retired. If I say I'm playing again, then I'm committed to playing."

But Strahan did sound like someone who was seriously contemplating calling it quits.

"It's not (about money)," Strahan said. "Money is great, but I could make money doing other stuff. . . . There are a lot of other ways to make money, but that's not the sole purpose of life at this point. It's about enjoying myself, enjoying my family."

And maybe enjoying football.

Getting passed over nothing new for Giants

by Peter Schrager

Updated: May 19, 2008, 1:18 PM EST 626 comments

Lost among this off-season's three-ring "Spygate" circus, "breaking news" bottom line ticker alerts announcing each and every one of Chad Johnson's trade demands and the rampant bandwagon boarding of all things Jaguars and Vikings, is a team that's kind of hung out, laid low under the radar and not gotten much national media attention at all.

A team that, strangely enough, plays in the No. 1 media market in the world. A team that, oh yeah, just happened to win the Super Bowl last season too.

All things considered, we haven't heard that much off-season noise about the Super Bowl champion Giants. Aside from a much ballyhooed victory parade a few days after their 17-14 upset of New England in Glendale, a couple of gossip rag articles covering their starting quarterback's wedding, and a team meeting with the President at the White House last month, the Giants have been all but absent from the headlines.

No major scandals or arrests, no blockbuster signings, no post-Super Bowl Eli Manning marketing brigade on the country's collective senses. As far as traditional Super Bowl champion off-season media attention goes, the Giants are in the midst of the NFL's version of Silent Spring.

Which is pretty odd, really.

In the past four months, the Giants lost only two key contributors from last season's Super Bowl squad (linebacker Kawika Mitchell, safety Gibril Wilson), brought back their highly sought-after defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo (thus keeping him away from the Washington sidelines), hauled in a highly regarded draft class, and signed valuable veterans Sammy Knight and Danny Clark.

As of now, Jeremy Shockey, despite rumors that he'd be traded to New Orleans on draft day, is still wearing Giants blue. And Michael Strahan, the longtime leader of the Big Blue defense, remains undecided on whether he'll return to the field or not. Even with the Shockey trade buzz, Strahan's salary demands and the acquisition of former top overall pick David Carr as a backup quarterback, the Giants have been pretty much treated like a second-or-third-tier team by the national media. An afterthought, really.

With the lack of attention, apparently, comes some subtle disrespect, too. Or, maybe it's just short-term memory loss.

Whatever the reason, it seems as though very few media outlets are even considering the Giants as preseason favorites to repeat their Super Bowl conquest of just four months ago, let alone come out of the NFC.

In fact, right now, most analysts seem to think more highly of the Giants' division rivals in Dallas, even though the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 12 years, New York's defensive line dominated Dallas' All-Pro-studded offensive line last January and the 'Boys dropped three of their last four games in '07. Dallas brings back much of the same team that went 13-4 last season, but didn't significantly upgrade any position (cornerback, maybe?), either. Yet, sure enough, Dallas is apparently the team to beat in the NFC in 2008. Again.

The Giants? Who? Oh, yeah ... them.

It's not like the guys in the Giants locker room are concerned by any of this, though. They're not exactly kicking and screaming, pulling Rodney Dangerfield "No Respect" routines, over a few articles.

Left tackle David Diehl explains, "A lot of people picked us to finish dead last in the NFC East before last season. This is really nothing new to us. We don't really view it as a sign of disrespect. Nobody picked us in the playoffs or the Super Bowl except for Giants fans, anyway."

Ah, the Giants fans. How are they taking all this Dallas love? Eric Kennedy, who runs Big Blue Interactive, the leading Giants fan message board on the Web, notes:

"I think many fans are still bothered by the fact that the Giants are not receiving the respect that a world champion deserves. Let's not forget — the Giants won 10 consecutive road games last year. They beat the Bucs, Cowboys and Packers — all favored division winners — on their home turf. None of those victories were "lucky" wins with strange calls or non-calls.

"They beat the No. 1 seed in the NFC. They beat the No. 2 seed in the NFC. They beat the No. 1 team in the NFL — a team that many argued was the best in NFL history. They held the highest-scoring team in NFL history to 14 points. C'mon."

In the end, no power rankings list or TV show debate really matters much at all. The players realize this. Believe it or not, even the fans do, too. Predicting a division winner in April or May is about as ridiculous as cooking up a 2011 mock draft. And when it comes down to it, the Giants are still the NFL's defending champions and will have targets on their backs come fall, regardless of which NFC team the media consensus deems the best.

Diehl knows this, "We have high expectation for ourselves. We understand what it takes and understand that it is a lot tougher to stay on top than it is to climb to the top. We realize we've got people gunning for us, and when you have people gunning for you — you must be doing something right. Everyone is committed and dedicated to putting in the hard work it takes to prove ourselves again."

The Giants play the Cowboys on November 2 at Giants Stadium. There's a good chance Dallas comes into that one as the favorite.

It'd be nothing new.

Fortunately for New York, it's the actual games that matter. Not what the pundits predict.

Giant coach says Jeremy Shockey's in Super Bowl shock

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, May 20th 2008, 7:45 PM

Mike Poper remembers how much it hurt Phil Simms to watch the Giants win Super Bowl XXV without him. So he is not surprised at all that Jeremy Shockey is hurting, too.

But Pope, the Giants' tight ends coach, believes that's the primary source of Shockey's unhappiness - that he had to watch the Giants win Super Bowl XLII because his broken leg kept him off the field. He also believes that once Shockey returns to Giants Stadium, he will be a good and happy teammate once again.

"Once the team gets back together and you get involved together, those things all tend to become a little back there, and then they eventually disappear," Pope said. "If you start playing together and you start winning and the upside of the game is what you're looking at then things run fairly smoothly."

Just how smoothly won't be known until June 11, when the Giants hold their first mandatory minicamp. Shockey is in Miami working out and rehabilitating his leg on his own.

Shockey's happiness has been the subject of much discussion this offseason, especially after he asked the Giants to trade him and they considered a serious offer from the New Orleans Saints. He has told friends that he is upset with everything from his role in the offense to the perception that the Giants are better off without him. His agent has also asked the Giants to renegotiate his current deal.

However, when Pope spoke with Shockey before the draft, he said Shockey told him "that none of his problems were with our offense, with our players on the team, or how he was used." Pope said he believed Shockey was simply still dealing with the "terrific shock" of having to watch the Giants achieve his ultimate goal.

"I know he was very, very upset about not being able to finish what we collectively started," Pope said.

SNEE AGENCY: G Chris Snee, who will be a free agent after the 2008 season, indicated he might not want to discuss a new contract during the season. He also said the fact that he is Tom Coughlin's son-in-law won't affect his free-agent situation. "No," Snee said. "It's what's best for my family - my wife and my children."

Third and Short: Debating the need for Strahan

ESPN.com

Updated: May 7, 2008

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Mortensen On Strahan's Future In New York

In this installment of Third and Short, our experts weigh in on Michael Strahan. The New York Giants star defensive lineman is debating returning for a 16th NFL season or opting for retirement. On Thursday, Strahan said he had decided what to do, but is waiting for the right time to announce his intentions. Some speculate that time will come after another training camp has passed.

While the world awaits the announcement, our experts consider whether Strahan just wants to avoid another training camp, who might succeed him as the pass-rusher offenses fear most and whether the Giants would benefit if he retired.

James Walker: Should we put much into the theory that Strahan will wait until training camp is over before deciding whether he has another season in him?

This is more than a theory. It's part of Strahan's history, because it's been done before. Just last season, Strahan missed 36 days of training camp before reporting to the Giants, so there's enough evidence to suggest it could happen again.

But what's the big deal? Every year there are a handful of elite players in the NFL who are undecided about their futures. Last year it was Strahan and Brett Favre; this year it's Strahan and Jonathan Ogden. It didn't distract Strahan last season after helping lead the Giants to the Super Bowl. So if Strahan chooses to lose more than $500,000 to skip training camp again before returning, more power to him. If in the end he decides to retire, at least he did his due diligence and took his time before making a difficult decision.

Pat Yasinskas: If Strahan retires, who becomes the league's most-feared pass-rusher?

On paper, Jared Allen is the only logical choice. He had 15½ sacks last season while playing only 14 games for a Kansas City Chiefs team that usually was behind, so opponents didn't have to throw a lot.

Allen's move to the Minnesota Vikings could make him even more dangerous because he joins a defensive line that might be the best in the league. With running back Adrian Peterson, Minnesota's offense is going to control the ball and score points consistently. That should give Allen more sack opportunities than he had with the Chiefs.

But I also see two sleeping giants out there, who might have more physical talent than Allen and have produced big numbers in the past. Carolina's Julius Peppers had only 2½ sacks last season, and while the Panthers repeatedly said sack totals don't mean everything, the truth is, there's not a person in the organization who believes Peppers had a good year.

That's why the Panthers are shaking things up and moving Peppers from the left to the right side. Oh, there's one other reason why Peppers is poised for a big year: He's headed into the final year of his contract.

The other defensive end with the ability to bounce back in a big way is Indianapolis' Dwight Freeney. Injuries limited him to nine games last season and he has produced just nine sacks over the past two years. Freeney's too talented to stay quiet for three straight years.

Mike Sando: Are the Giants better off without Strahan, given that they have an abundance of pass-rushers and his retirement would mean one less bellyaching star in the locker room?

No way. Opponents still fear Strahan as much or more than they fear any other Giants lineman, at least situationally. The "bellyaching star" label is awfully harsh. Think of it this way: By standing firm against Tom Coughlin's draconian tendencies, Strahan was instrumental in helping the veteran coach move into the 21st century in terms of how he deals with players. By most accounts, those changes proved critical in helping the Giants finally realize their potential and win a Super Bowl.

The Giants should work with Strahan if he still wants to play but is averse to battling through a full training camp. Forget the outdated idea that coaches must apply the same rules across the board, regardless of a player's age or accomplishments. Strahan's body is winding down, but he still can play. Strahan had 16 tackles in the Giants' first two playoff games last season. He had two sacks in the playoffs, including one in the Super Bowl.

The rest of the NFC East -- not the Giants -- would be better off if Strahan retires.

Senators fete the New Jersey Giants

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thursday, May 22nd 2008, 4:07 PM

TRENTON, N.J. - The Super Bowl champion New Jersey Giants?

That name can't be found in the National Football League standings. And the Giants helmets are emblazoned with a bold "NY" logo.

But it was nevertheless proclaimed Thursday by New Jersey senators honoring this year's Super Bowl champions.

"Whether you're a football fan or not, I'm sure you found yourself caught up in the hype this past winter with the success of the New Jersey Giants," said Sen. Paul Sarlo, D-Bergen. "I emphasize the New Jersey Giants."

Sarlo's district includes Giants Stadium, where the Giants have played since 1976 while retaining their New York moniker.

And though the Giants tell the world they're from New York, Garden State senators said their come-from-behind attitude represented more of a Jersey mentality.

Sarlo said they resembled "gutsy New Jerseyans" and "what we are all about here in New Jersey."

The Giants beat the heavily favored New England Patriots 17-14 in February's Super Bowl, ending New England's hopes for an undefeated season.

The Senate presented a ceremonial resolution to head coach Tom Coughlin, who in turn gave Sarlo and Senate President Richard J. Codey new Giants helmets.

"You must be at your best when your best is needed, and certainly our football team was," Coughlin said.

The Giants and New York Jets, who have played in Giants Stadium since 1984, are building a new stadium near Giants Stadium that's to open in 2010.

The new stadium includes a new practice facility for the Giants, while the Jets are building a new headquarters in Florham Park.

"You'll be totally New Jersey, just like the Jets," Codey, D-Essex, told Coughlin.

The ceremony enlivened the usually reserved Senate, especially when Codey grabbed a football and unleashed a perfect pass across the Senate chamber to Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union.

Giants cap title with presentation of rings

Updated: May 29, 2008, 10:11 PM EST 10 comments

NEW YORK (AP) - After four months of celebrations, parades, dinners and a tour of the White House, the New York Giants got their final reward on Thursday night for winning the Super Bowl: the bling.

The Giants walked a blue carpet on fashionable Fifth Ave and then were handed their Super Bowl championship rings in a private ceremony at Tiffany and Co.

"As a kid you always think about winning a Super Bowl, winning a championship," tackle David Diehl said. "When you have that ring you are in a unique class. It is something that we will remember for the rest of our lives and something no one will be able to take away from us."

While most of the team attended the ceremony, there were some notable exceptions.

Tight end Jeremy Shockey, who broke his leg late last season and then expressed concerns about his role with the team, was absent, along with linebacker Antonio Pierce, who is on his honeymoon.

Fifty-three players attended, led by Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning and defensive ends Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan.

Even linebacker Kawika Mitchell and safety Gibril Wilson, who signed with other teams in the offseason, and Lt. Col. Greg Gadson, an Army officer who lost his legs in Iraq and became an inspiration for the team after meeting the players, attended. They each were given one of the white gold sparklers with about 1.5 carats in diamonds.

"It's a 10-table stunner," Strahan said, waving the ring in front of his face for effect and noting it can be seen in a restaurant from 10 tables away.

Punter Jeff Feagles, who waited 20 years to win a championship, dropped his right shoulder to mimic the Hunchback of Notre Dame when asked about the weight of the rings, which the team said cost about $5,500 apiece, but are valued at $25,000.

Co-owners Steve Tisch and John Mara addressed the team and coach Tom Coughlin handed the rings to each player as he was called up.

"Having the opportunity to look every player in the eye as they came up and the joy and excitement that they demonstrated as they came forward to receiver a memento of a world championship was special," Coughlin said. It's a feeling the players will carry in their hearts forever, he said.

Manning felt having the team together made the ceremony special.

"We did it together and won it as a team," said Manning, who also got a wedding ring since the Giants' 17-14 win over the previously unbeaten New England Patriots on Feb. 3 in Glendale, Ariz. "Every game was different and in every situation someone else stepped up and contributed to us winning. It's all about the Giants."

David Tyree laughed when asked what it meant to get the ring at long last.

"It means I get to bling this thing," Tyree said.

On the only serious matter of the night, Strahan declined to say whether winning a title would lead to his retirement after 15 seasons.

"Don't even go there," Strahan said. "You're ruining the interview."

The ring features the team's three Super Bowl trophies, signifying the Giants' Super Bowl victories in 1987, 1991 and last February.

The team's "NY" logo is set in round diamonds, while "World Champions" is emblazoned in raised letters on the top and bottom bezel, with channel-set diamonds on the left and right bezel.

The ring's shanks celebrate the season, noting the team's "Eleven Straight on the Road," an NFL record; the NFL shield; and player name, along with player number in raised letters appear on one shank.

The final score, "Super Bowl XLII," date (02.03.08) and 'AZ' appear on the other shank.

If there was any doubt, however, that the time for celebrating was ending, it was this reminder: The Giants resume practice on Friday.