SportsWrath

Reese Says He is Willing to Renegotiate Strahan's Contract

BleedinBlue

In a rare interview with Reese on NFL.com, Reese admitted that last season, they were willing to let Strahan retire before renegotiating his contract. He also said that it's entirely different this coming season and they will be willing to work out a deal with Strahan to get him back for another year.

I think Strahan's influence on the younger guys on the team makes him worth a lot. His teammates love him and go the extra distance in effort because of him. I say, "sign him" and get him back here for at least another year. Gives the team more options to target during offseason and keeps the kids motivated.

Good news!

Yup. And I will even let him skip most of training camp. Just show up for the last 2 weeks to get in a preseason game and SOME hitting before the season starts. The first two weeks last season Strahan was sluggish.

I disagree about letting him miss any of camp. I say pay him a little extra, as a reward, but with the understanding that he absolutely will be in camp on day 1. He put them in a bad situation last pre-season, and with the way it worked out so well in the end, I wouldn't be surprised to see him or somebody else try to pull it again. I think they have to take a stand here and let it be known that that will not become an acceptable strategy for getting out of camp. Like you said, he was sluggish the first two games, and maybe we would've won the division if we had beaten Dallas in week 1.

I disagree about letting him miss any of camp. I say pay him a little extra, as a reward, but with the understanding that he absolutely will be in camp on day 1. He put them in a bad situation last pre-season, and with the way it worked out so well in the end, I wouldn't be surprised to see him or somebody else try to pull it again. I think they have to take a stand here and let it be known that that will not become an acceptable strategy for getting out of camp. Like you said, he was sluggish the first two games, and maybe we would've won the division if we had beaten Dallas in week 1.

To late for ifs really, I say let him miss camp but show up in the last couple of weeks like Lubek said. The guy has been to enough training camps to where he doesnt even need them anymore, they are really only for the rookies and younger players of the team. He's been in the league long enough to know what to do, I say let him skip but have him show up in the final couple weeks.

To late for ifs really, I say let him miss camp but show up in the last couple of weeks like Lubek said. The guy has been to enough training camps to where he doesnt even need them anymore, they are really only for the rookies and younger players of the team. He's been in the league long enough to know what to do, I say let him skip but have him show up in the final couple weeks.

The upside to that is the man's body needs all the rest he could get... so while resting him can make him rusty, having there full time can exhaust him. A middle of the road apporach... be there... and take it easy.. pops :rolleyes:

Man, wish I could ask for more than double my salary before retirement...and don't forget his contract was front-loaded, so it's not like he wasn't paid. If he wants more, and the FO is willing to do that, then go for it. But it's not like he wasn't paid quite a bit for his services, either.

I just hope he doesn't pull the same crap as last year: just say whether you are staying or not, so the FO isn't scratching themselves trying to figure out what to do. Then go to camp, get "injured" so you are doing one a day practices on the exercise bike, and "get better" for the last two preseason games. What's the problem?