SportsWrath

Cavs acquire Ben Wallace and Wally Szczerbiak from Bulls and Sonics

Dragon

The Cleveland Cavaliers appear to have beaten the NBA's annual trade buzzer to get LeBron James some of the fresh help he's been openly craving.

In a three-way, 11-player trade with Chicago and Seattle that has been submitted for league approval, NBA front-office sources say that Cleveland will come away with four new teammates for James, headlined by Ben Wallace from the Bulls and sharpshooter Wally Szczerbiak from the Sonics.

The league office was notified of the deal before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trading deadline, sources said, and is currently reviewing the trade details as required for formal approval.

After Cleveland watched two longstanding trade targets land elsewhere -- Mike Bibby in Atlanta and Jason Kidd in Dallas -- sources say that the deal calls for the Cavaliers to receive Wallace, Szczerbiak, Seattle point guard Delonte West, Chicago's Joe Smith and a future second-round pick from the Bulls.

The Bulls, apparently abandoning their gamble on Wallace less than two seasons into the lucrative four-year deal they used to sign him away from Detroit, would get Cavaliers forward Drew Gooden and swingman Larry Hughes along with Cavs reserves Cedric Simmons and Shannon Brown.

The Sonics, shedding Szczerbiak in the name of additional payroll flexibility, come away with the expiring contracts of Cleveland's Ira Newble and Chicago's Adrian Griffin as well as Cavs veteran Donyell Marshall.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Pending League Approval

good move for both teams- cleveland now gives boston and detroit something to think about.

your lakers -_-

Guess I gotta tell u the story as well.

The first basketball game I ever saw was during the 1990-1991 NBA Finals. I was 6 at the time and couldn't decide who I would root for so I ended up rooting for both teams. Whenever they played in the past and whenever they play now, I'm not concerned with who wins unless there are playoff or championship implications for one of the teams and then I favor that one. I always have been and always will be a Bulls/Lakers fan.

Guess I gotta tell u the story as well.

The first basketball game I ever saw was during the 1990-1991 NBA Finals. I was 6 at the time and couldn't decide who I would root for so I ended up rooting for both teams. Whenever they played in the past and whenever they play now, I'm not concerned with who wins unless there are playoff or championship implications for one of the teams and then I favor that one. I always have been and always will be a Bulls/Lakers fan.

i've heard this from you before- i still find it odd- plus as a warriors fan i have to give you shit- it's in my contract.

i've been hearing that king james really wanted bibby or kidd. This might not be good for Cleveland because Wallace slows them down and james likes to run. makes some sense. some say it's a desperation move by cleveland to make him happy that they did something.

I'd agree with that. Wallace definately slows them down but he's also been injured this year so WTF? As a fan of the NBA (trying to be objective) I don't see where this deal makes sense for the Cavs as far as Wallace goes.

meh... Billups is one of those annoyingly good players... kinda like Chase Utley is for the Phillies. Billups will always find a way to score his points.

i agree with that- (well actually, i don't know what meh means). but to me, he's more victorino