SportsWrath

Do cuts lead to compensation picks?

gateb

I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think it has something to do with other teams signing people that you lose to Free Agency.

The compensation picks are kind of screwy tho. I remember one year we lost Ron Stone, who had made something like 3 Pro Bowls in a row, and another Pro Bowl player, we got something like a 7th round pick for them.

We got one when Tiki retired didn't we? I don't think they're awarded for cutting players, only losing them through other means. I imagine the Skins will get a decent pick for losing Sean Taylor.

Here's some info:

Based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:

A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.