SportsWrath

Dan Connor

Lubeck

What do you guys know about this guy? A lot of the mock-drafts I am seeing have the Giants taking him first round.

I've been studying up on linebackers and his name is always at or near the top of best prospects. It's confusing to figure out whether he's an inside or outside linebacker. From what I have gathered, he played OLB at Penn St. for 3 years and switched to MLB in his senior year. The writeups on him say that he's an animal and a ferocious hitter....also, very smart, a quick study, and coachable. His times are not as fast as some of the other highly touted linebackers, but he makes up for it with his smarts and instinct.

He'd be a great pick. I just don't know if he would be groomed for inside or outside. I don't see Pierce going anywhere soon, so I have to think the Giants are looking for a dedicated outside guy... However, a stud MLB to spell Pierce now and then while learning the ropes of the NFL would be a good idea.

I figure he'll be gone before we pick.

It seems every year the Giants talk about linebacker needs and don't bother to address it until the last couple of rounds. I can't remember the last time a linebacker went in the first round. If it's happened, it hasn't happened more than a couple times in the last half dozen years. For some reason, each year the 5 star linebackers stay on the board for the first round and oftentimes the second round.

That's the long answer to your comment. The short one is, "Conner will likely be there at 32 (31)". Many analysts think Keith Rivers will go ahead of Conner and I wouldn't be surprised he'll still be on the board as well.

It seems every year the Giants talk about linebacker needs and don't bother to address it until the last couple of rounds. I can't remember the last time a linebacker went in the first round. If it's happened, it hasn't happened more than a couple times in the last half dozen years. For some reason, each year the 5 star linebackers stay on the board for the first round and oftentimes the second round.

That's the long answer to your comment. The short one is, "Conner will likely be there at 32 (31)". Many analysts think Keith Rivers will go ahead of Conner and I wouldn't be surprised he'll still be on the board as well.

If you're talking about the whole draft, lb'ers are often taken in the first round. One last year, two the year before that. 4 in 2000.

If we're drafting linebacker with our first pick this year, I'm liking it no matter what happens. I don't see 3 lb'ers going before us and I'd take any of the top 5 olb's.

What do you guys know about this guy? A lot of the mock-drafts I am seeing have the Giants taking him first round.

Jack Ham is supposed to have said he is flat out the best linebacker to ever come out of Penn State.....Jack Ham came out of PSU and is probably one of the best pure OLB to ever play the game.

So I'm guessing he's pretty good.

C. Wagon.

A lot of sites have Keith Rivers rated higher....faster, stronger, more athletic, etc. However, I think Conner has that intangible measurement, the sheer desire to tear opponents heads off and his brain is fast enough to more than compensate for his slightly less speed.

I still think they'll both be on the board for the Giants, but if history has proven anything to me, it's that you should never try to figure out what the Giants are thinking. I just about guarantee that if corner back Leodis McKelvin is still on the board, or saftey Kenny Phillips, or DT/DE Kentwan Balmer, that the Giants will grab one of them instead and fill the linebacker need in a later round. I suspect they will go for the very best player on the board that fits into their defensive scheme. I don't see them going for an offensive player unless a really great WR fell through the cracks.

Jack Ham is supposed to have said he is flat out the best linebacker to ever come out of Penn State.....Jack Ham came out of PSU and is probably one of the best pure OLB to ever play the game.

So I'm guessing he's pretty good.

C. Wagon.

which is why I think we won't get to draft him. He's the career tackling leader from a Uni that has produced some good linebackers.