SportsWrath

Pitchers and Catchers report on Thursday

Who was that, Hughes? Again, I based what I said about him based on the fact that he was arguably their best pitcher in the postseason. He was pretty dominant at the end of last season after he had time to come back from the injury.

Listen, nobody hopes you're right more than I do, but this guy is not Bill Pulsipher.

I am not trying to be right about those 3, I think Hughes and Joba will be good for a long time. Its just that the hype that surronded the Mets former 3 was as justified as this was. Its just that, well they are the Mets and what bad can happen will happen, you know Murphy's Law, in their case Bob.

I am not trying to be right about those 3, I think Hughes and Joba will be good for a long time. Its just that the hype that surronded the Mets former 3 was as justified as this was. Its just that, well they are the Mets and what bad can happen will happen, you know Murphy's Law, in their case Bob.

Since the Mets have been in existence, I think they have had far better success bringing on pitchers than the Yankees. All I can name on the Yanks are Stottlemeyer, Guidry, Drabek, Mariano and Pettitte.

Since the Mets have been in existence, I think they have had far better success bringing on pitchers than the Yankees. All I can name on the Yanks are Stottlemeyer, Guidry, Drabek, Mariano and Pettitte.

Hmm, since 62 you might be right and in some cases like Drabek they prosper elsewhere. Good 1980's lefty Jim DeShaies fell into this category as well with the mid 80's Astros. Jose Rijo was decent for a good number of years as well.

In all fairness, these guys have all already tasted Major League action and succeeded. You saw what Joba can do to good hitters. Hughes was probably the Yanks best pitcher in the playoff series against Cleveland. I'd have some doubts about Kennedy, but again, he looked pretty good in the action he saw last year. The point is there's a little more to go on than there was when Met fans were dubbing those guys the next Seaver, Koosman, and Matlack.

I'm just suggesting that Yankee fans, while they should be excited, shouldn't be foolish to think these guys are locks. How many times have we seen pitchers have success early, then either the league catches on or they burn themselves out, starting getting hurt? Hughes has already been hurt, and if I'm correct, the Yanks had him on an innings count for the season when he was called up last year. You need at least a full season to truly evaluate these guys.