SportsWrath

Pitchers and Catchers report on Thursday

...for this upcoming Yankee team. A lot of questions to be answered. Can Joba be a starter? SHOULD Joba be a starter? Can Girardi bring the Yanks #27? What is Pettite's mind set with this whole Mitchell Report and Clemens soap opera? Can A-Rod repeat hi performance from last season?

And still high off of the Giants' Super Bowl win, I want a Yankees' World Series win.

GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy/Moose

Good one! That's what I've been saying. Put Moose in the pen. He can't do it with any consistency anymore, and hasn't be able to for a couple of years. The old arm peters out before the season's half over.

The only thing that bothers me is the Yankees keep trying to find a back up 1st baseman. Why not go with the guys that had the best record in the league in the 2nd half?

Just a thought but who other than Wang and Pettite is guaranteed for 175 innings of the other 3-4? I know the three kids are real good, with loads of potential, but none has generated the amount of innings it will take to go a full season in the bigs with any kind of real success.

Just a thought but who other than Wang and Pettite is guaranteed for 175 innings of the other 3-4? I know the three kids are real good, with loads of potential, but none has generated the amount of innings it will take to go a full season in the bigs with any kind of real success.

Good point, they'll be fun to watch though. I gotta admit, thats a scary looking rotatiojn just judging by potential. Wether their arms can go all year will be the big factor.

Joba's starting in the pen. They got an innings limit of like 140 on him. Pretty smart. fuck i hate to admit this, but the Yanks are gonna have a killer rotation for years to come if they keep em healthy.

I read that today too VG...I love that they are doing that. This kid is something special if he doesn't get hurt.

There's more talk of a six man rotation. It makes sense with an old arm like Moose and their trying to limit innings for young. Of course, it may be a problem getting everyone enough work in the beginning of the season with rain outs and days off.

Good point, they'll be fun to watch though. I gotta admit, thats a scary looking rotatiojn just judging by potential. Wether their arms can go all year will be the big factor.

So were Wilson, Pulsipher, and Isringhausen. :ph34r:

Beware Yankee fans, too much too soon for "young guns" is not always a good thing.

Beware Yankee fans, too much too soon for "young guns" is not always a good thing.

Didn't Isringhausen enjoy some success in the pen? Not sure because I don't get to see the NL too often anymore.

Anyway, barring injury, it's almost a given our "young guns" will make it. :)

Seriously, I think Hughes and Kennedy proved it, and although we haven't seen Joba as a starter, he supposed to have a couple of pitches we haven't seen yet.

Didn't Isringhausen enjoy some success in the pen? Not sure because I don't get to see the NL too often anymore.

Anyway, barring injury, it's almost a given our "young guns" will make it. :)

Seriously, I think Hughes and Kennedy proved it, and although we haven't seen Joba as a starter, he supposed to have a couple of pitches we haven't seen yet.

Yes, Isringhausen did enjoy some success, but Pulsipher was a complete bust and Wilson was a journeyman for awhile but not one of them lived up to the billing when they first came up. Not even close.

Hughes and Kennedy have proved nothing. Hughes has looked great at times, but he's yet to do it for an entire season. None of them have. The Yanks would be smart not to burn these guys out and I think they are being smart with Chamberlain already, and he should be fresh for the second half of the season when he will probably be starting. He may start sooner, presuming Mussina shows his age or Pettitte crumbles under the heavy scrutiny headed his way.

It's alot to ask of 3 very young guys who most likely will be in the playoff hunt all season. I'm not predicting they will bomb, but nothing is "a given".

The Yanks, specifically their first year manager, will be tested. Do they want to win at all costs, and ride these guys down to the wire, or break in their "young guns" at a slower pace and not risk damaging their futures?

The Yanks, specifically their first year manager, will be tested. Do they want to win at all costs, and ride these guys down to the wire, or break in their "young guns" at a slower pace and not risk damaging their futures?

The won't be a need to ride them down to the wire. There's another arm or two in the minors to bring up in a pinch, and as I said, they may go to a six man rotation at times.

:P

In all seriousness guys, I'm not homering the Yanks this year. I think we will have success, but I dont think it will come easy. Factor in new Manager and un proven talent at the starting pitching position and thats why I say this. We shall see though, I have been surprised before.

In all fairness, these guys have all already tasted Major League action and succeeded. You saw what Joba can do to good hitters. Hughes was probably the Yanks best pitcher in the playoff series against Cleveland. I'd have some doubts about Kennedy, but again, he looked pretty good in the action he saw last year. The point is there's a little more to go on than there was when Met fans were dubbing those guys the next Seaver, Koosman, and Matlack.

In all fairness, these guys have all already tasted Major League action and succeeded. You saw what Joba can do to good hitters. Hughes was probably the Yanks best pitcher in the playoff series against Cleveland. I'd have some doubts about Kennedy, but again, he looked pretty good in the action he saw last year. The point is there's a little more to go on than there was when Met fans were dubbing those guys the next Seaver, Koosman, and Matlack.

Samm history lesson about those three:

Isringhausen was 9-2 with a 2.81 ERA in 14 starts in 1995

Pulsihipher was5-7 in 17 starts with 1 3.98 ERA in 1995

Wilson was the #1 overall pick in 1994.

There was hardly a case of anything to go on with those three and in fact Isringhausen in the 2nd half of 1995 was probably the best pitcher in the NL. By 1996 there was a load of hype around these guys, particularly Izzy and there was plenty of reason, he was that good. Unfortunately both injuries and hype going to their heads were what did this trifecta in.

Samm history lesson about those three:

Isringhausen was 9-2 with a 2.81 ERA in 14 starts in 1995

Pulsihipher was5-7 in 17 starts with 1 3.98 ERA in 1995

Wilson was the #1 overall pick in 1994.

There was hardly a case of anything to go on with those three and in fact Isringhausen in the 2nd half of 1995 was probably the best pitcher in the NL. By 1996 there was a load of hype around these guys, particularly Izzy and there was plenty of reason, he was that good. Unfortunately both injuries and hype going to their heads were what did this trifecta in.

5-7 with a 4 run ERA isn't exactly setting the world on fire, and the point about Wilson was just that- he was all hype.

5-7 with a 4 run ERA isn't exactly setting the world on fire, and the point about Wilson was just that- he was all hype.

5-3 with a 4.46 ERA is though :confused:

The point was not what they did or did not do, the point was their was plenty to go on as to where the hype for these three came from. Sadly it was injuries, poor management(particularly in Wilsons case) and big heads that ruined these three. To declare at this point that the Yankees three have proven more than these three did prior to 1996 is just not true. Most likely the Yankees guys will pan out though, because they are a better run organization than the Mets of the mid 90's were and well, they do not seem to have the bad luck the Mets do and did in that time period.

5-3 with a 4.46 ERA is though :confused:

Who was that, Hughes? Again, I based what I said about him on the fact that he was arguably their best pitcher in the postseason. He was pretty dominant at the end of last season after he had time to come back from the injury.

Listen, nobody hopes you're right more than I do, but this guy is not Bill Pulsipher.