SportsWrath

Honeymoon over

Lubeck

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jsessi...mp;confirm=true

Contentious offseason likely lies ahead for Giants

Adam Schefter By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

OAHU, Hawaii -– Once the champagne dries and the parade ends, reality bites.

Championship postseasons often lead to contentious offseasons, when players feel they should be rewarded for helping their teams win a Super Bowl. It will be no different in New York, where multiple Giants will seek contract extensions.

Leading the way will be the Giants' lone Pro Bowl selection, defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who has five seasons remaining on his seven-year contract. Two years ago, the Giants awarded Umenyiora with a six-year, $41 million extension that included $14 million worth of guaranteed money.

At the time, Umenyiora’s contract was reported as a “landmark” deal.

But the landmark, in the eyes of some, did not last long.

Those who know Umenyiora believe he has outplayed the contract, particularly New York giving Giants backup defensive tackle Justin Tuck $16 million worth of guaranteed money on the eve of the NFC Championship Game in Green Bay.

Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. If Umenyiora thinks it, and there is every indication he does, and if New York does not dole out a new extension, then the Giants are staring at a second straight summer with a high-profile defensive end failing to report to training camp in time.

Last summer, defensive end Michael Strahan missed training camp while trying to decide whether to resume his football career. Strahan insisted his holdout was not money-based, though some within the Giants organization thought otherwise.

If Umenyiora misses any time this summer, there will be no question as to what is driving him.

Plaxico Burress also is expected to seek more money. He is playing under a six-year, $25 million contract in which he collected $8.25 million in bonuses three years ago. Burress caught the game-winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLII, and had the game of his life in the NFC Championship at Green Bay.

Evan Pinkus / Getty Images

Osi Umenyiora could turn a title run into a heftier paycheck.

Another Giant who is in line for a raise is guard Chris Snee, who has one year remaining on the five-year contract he signed after being drafted in 2004. Snee has developed into one of football’s top guards, and he would like to be rewarded for it.

His father-in-law is Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Should New York extend its head coach’s contract with one year remaning on it, his son-in-law will be asking the organization to do the same for him.

These are some messy issues the Giants will have to wrestle with this offseason and potentially into the summer. But these are the types of problems that every team wishes it had.

History boy

Super Bowl XLII MVP Eli Manning etched his name into football and Giants history with his clutch performance.

But what has gone overlooked is that heading into the game, Manning had the lowest quarterback rating of any quarterback in the Super Bowl the past two decades.

Manning’s quarterback rating last season was 73.9, tying him with Bears quarterback Rex Grossman. But that is an indication of the power of Super Bowls.

With one virtuoso performance against the Patriots, Manning etched his name into football and Giants history, proving how insigificant quarterback ratings can be.

Well with good cap room it was inevitable.

Not that they don't deserve it considering their play this year, but how about we let them come out and say it first, Adam.

How the hell did he miss Diehl, who's a starting LT getting paid guard money?

I'm sure Snee was on the "to-do" list before the SB.

Don't forget, we have the 20 million in cap room plus possibly an extra 6-7 million in room when the overall cap goes up. I am sure this team will create more space by renegotiating contracts.

I wonder where he got the idea of Osi holding out for more money? He does make less than Tuck. I am sure the Giants will work with him. First order of business is re-signing Gibril. I am sure Snee will get his money. I am not too fond of re-signing Ward though. I doubt he wants to be a third back in this offense.

Don't forget, we have the 20 million in cap room plus possibly an extra 6-7 million in room when the overall cap goes up. I am sure this team will create more space by renegotiating contracts.

I wonder where he got the idea of Osi holding out for more money? He does make less than Tuck. I am sure the Giants will work with him. First order of business is re-signing Gibril. I am sure Snee will get his money. I am not too fond of re-signing Ward though. I doubt he wants to be a third back in this offense.

There was a rumor before the season started that he might hold out as well as Strahan, and there was another rumor that he was unhappy with Tuck's big contract signing. Also, on one of the NFL pregame shows I was watching, when the players on the D-line were asked to describe one another in one word, Osi described Tuck as "rich."

I'd bet he asks for more.

I can't see Reese even entertaining the idea of renegotiating with Osi only in his 3rd year. Frankly I think the Giants would be dumb to do so. Get Snee/ Diehl signed to me is a priority. Burress would be next, but he's around the 30's now and this season is going to have some serious surgery and rehab to do to get 100%. To be honest, playing with these injuries the last few months may have done his future little good.

Gibril's the problem here. Word is he's the first priority but I don't think so. I mean he played well this last few weeks, but before that he was good, not great. There are other good safties out there. Michael Johnson could very well become a good safety.

If I was betting on a guy who won't be here next year, Gibril is the favorite.

Even though Tuck makes more than Osi, I don't see the big deal. Osi signed a contract... a very long contract.. with pretty good terms. None of these guys is struggling to pay their gas bill...

I don't think any of this commosion will happen... the author is trying to stir up shit.. that's how I see it.

I wonder what is left on Antonio Pierce's contract. He's another who could be looking to capitalize on the big win. He's the leader on defense and the defense has been outstanding. There's 3 or 4 defensive guys the Giants just plain can't afford to lose and Pierce is right up there on the top of the list. Not so much for his play (which has been excellent), but because of his leadership on the field. When the defense is on the field, Pierce is the commanding general.

Gibril's not coming back. He's one of the top safety FAs in a weak market where many teams need a safety. It appears Reese is leaning towards a more conservative style of re-signing and keeping players. Giving Gibril a huge pay day is not what he has in mind.

Michael Johnson will start next year, and maybe we'll draft someone or get a different FA.

Osi is definitely holding out.

Atari Bigby is a RFA.

I wonder what is left on Antonio Pierce's contract. He's another who could be looking to capitalize on the big win. He's the leader on defense and the defense has been outstanding. There's 3 or 4 defensive guys the Giants just plain can't afford to lose and Pierce is right up there on the top of the list. Not so much for his play (which has been excellent), but because of his leadership on the field. When the defense is on the field, Pierce is the commanding general.

I'll remember two plays on Giant D...Reasons Stuffing Humphreys in the snow at Mile High...and Pierce...tackling the entire screen pass in the 4th Qtr against the Pack in the playoffs.

C. Wagon

I'll remember two plays on Giant D...Reasons Stuffing Humphreys in the snow at Mile High...and Pierce...tackling the entire screen pass in the 4th Qtr against the Pack in the playoffs.

C. Wagon

I couldnt stop talking about that tackle the entire week leading u to the SB, simply amazing. Ive never seen that before!

Another great play was Alfords sack of Brady, I think someone has it as thier signature. Powerful. :TU:

C. Wagon

One of my professors is a huge Giants fan and he said the same thing

as you did Chuck.

Gibril's not coming back. He's one of the top safety FAs in a weak market where many teams need a safety. It appears Reese is leaning towards a more conservative style of re-signing and keeping players. Giving Gibril a huge pay day is not what he has in mind.

Michael Johnson will start next year, and maybe we'll draft someone or get a different FA.

Osi is definitely holding out.

Atari Bigby is a RFA.

I can't wait to see Michael Johnson be a starter.

Osi should never hold out. He signed a 7 year deal that was great at the time and is still good now. Why else did he sign a 7 year contract?

One of my professors is a huge Giants fan and he said the same thing

as you did Chuck.

There were a series of three games where the Giants had a goal line stand and/or to prevent a 4th and 1 conversion and reasons was the MX missile used to stop it. He would kind of lead with his helmet into the hole and pulverize the runner. I wonder if he has post concussion syndrome?

I can't wait to see Michael Johnson be a starter.

Osi should never hold out. He signed a 7 year deal that was great at the time and is still good now. Why else did he sign a 7 year contract?

He fired the agent that signed the deal, not a good sign.